Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you even actually paying attention? The bankruptcy case has been a huge disaster for him!

Not only has he failed to get his assets sheltered by it, but it triggered an in-depth investigation of his finances, discovering a number of hidden income flows no one would have known about otherwise. It also considerably locked down his finances and prevented him from acting to further hide assets; FSS is literally under the control of a trustee appointed by the bankruptcy court right now.

He got caught doing about the most blatant poo poo possible and the judge was all: 'doesn't seem like a scheme to me'
at worst he's back where he started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

RocketMermaid posted:

It's extra frustrating when the same people who get away with everything are the ones promoting fast-tracking literal genocidal laws against your community and all the legal experts say, "oh, it'll get struck down by a court eventually, these things take time!" while people are being detransitioned or flat-out murdered right the gently caress now, and it just makes it blatant how badly skewed both civil and criminal law really are.
That's what preliminary injunctions are for. Lots of the worst laws -- if they actually do get passed, don't confuse the introduction of a bill with the actual passage -- don't go into force because they are enjoined almost immediately. It's been happening to a bunch of the abortion bans, it'll likely happen for many of the antitrans laws going around in the various committees in Republican states. Texas is a shitshow with respect to this and I'm not going to defend them in that, but people have tried to stop its enforcement using tools available to them. No one's sitting on their hands quietly waiting for a court date in third quarter of 2024.

This thread is starting to feel like post your favorite grievances towards the US political and legal system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volmarias posted:

When I was an idiot child, I went to traffic court without understanding how you're supposed to make a deal with the prosecutor to plead guilty, and didn't realize that I had to actually bring money to pay the traffic ticket at the time of judgement. The consequence for that was having to choose between spending a night in jail, or calling my parents and telling them that I had blatantly lied to them about where I was going to that afternoon and please bring money thanks. My consequences were IMMEDIATE; there was no "ah, well, in three years you'll see what happens when you still have mostly the same life as before."

Your consequences were immediate but also, excuse me for saying, pretty loving trivial? Like even if you'd spent a night or weekend in jail: that's jail, not prison. Substantial difference.

Alex Jones otoh will have a pretty substantial fortune taken away. That's a lot more punishment.

If instead of a traffic ticket you'd killed someone, you wouldn't have gotten a one-afternoon court session to decide your fate. It can take years for people to be convicted of murder. Even poor people.

Volmarias posted:

Well, there's the whole blatant perjury thing, which is in fact a criminal act, AIUI. I can't speak for others, but it really is the fact that if I were to blatantly ignore a court order, lie to the court under oath, hold it in contempt, etc, I wouldn't just have it added to a tally of things that will eventually matter.

FW already explained how pretty much nobody, poor or rich, goes to jail for perjury in civil cases. The punishment is losing the case, or allowing someone to re-sue after you won the first time and they get evidence of perjury.

But here's another difference to think about : if you walked into traffic court and did the suck my dick you fuckman routine to the judge, they'd happily jail you for contempt. That would be an added punishment over and above your traffic ticket. But the judge couldn't imprison you for life or fine you a million dollars, no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat you were being.

Alex Jones if facing worse than a night in jail. The judges, even if they might like to jail him for contempt, want to make sure the big punishment happens. A night in jail is nothing by comparison. Taking away hundreds of millions is the goal.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Main Paineframe posted:

A sheriff can't throw you in jail just for backtalking them,
lol

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jones was warned by the judge multiple times for lying on the stand and called her a pedo cabalist on the air while the trial was going on. I just want one toe in the fine grinder of justice, just a little bit of consequences, as a treat.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

kw0134 posted:

nearly no one gets prosecuted for it. Jones likely won't get prosecuted for it; neither do the dozens of perjuries that occur in every civil court every day in your county right now. If you go in front of a judge and lie and the jury spanks you silly, the judge will simply smirk at you
That feels like a good summary of why I don't have much of any respect for the court system. It doesn't seem to demand any real respect. Which is a huge fundamental problem for our civil society.

kw0134 posted:

Texas is a shitshow ...
This thread is starting to feel like post your favorite grievances towards the US political and legal system.
Howdy from the lonestar state. Yeah. Got a lot of grievances piling up lately.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 28, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You lost the case! You went to court for a reason -- whether to get something by suing, or defending yourself in a suit against you -- and you got your rear end handed to you. "Ah yes, Jones instantly lost his case and the jury didn't buy his antics and slapped him with one of the largest judgments in US history for this sort of tort, but he didn't get referred to the local DA for a misdemeanor perjury charge so obviously he got away with it" is pretty loving brokebrained, imo.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"this is going slow"
"ooooh so you want it iiiiinstantly huh!! innnstantly!! you're asking why it isn't instant???"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

kw0134 posted:

Can you blame us?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

D&D is that-a-way. I have a lot of grievances with the state of law, but that has nothing to do with what Alex Jones is up to.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thought you were a lawyer, not a judge

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i've been here longer. you leave.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

This thread promised me I'd get to see "alex jones is turbofucked because he decided to do a few defamation against the parents of kids killed in Sandy Hook. How hosed? Lets watch" back in july of 2022.

I have yet to see him get turbofucked. He seems mildly inconvenienced and if anything less upset than normal for him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
all I'm asking is for one prominent republican agitator to be jailed imprisoned specifically for the crime of inciting violence and harassment, I don't think that's terribly greedy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The blood pressure increase from all these trials has probably taken at least a couple years off his already rapidly diminishing life.

Like there's no better revenge than living well, and there's no greater schadenfruede than dying mad.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

kw0134 posted:

slapped him with one of the largest judgments in US history for this sort of tort, but he didn't get referred to the local DA for a misdemeanor perjury charge so obviously he got away with it" is pretty loving brokebrained, imo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
has he meaningfully stopped doing any of the horrible poo poo people hate him for? no? carry on then

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Alex Jones is facing issues and has lost cases that in the future will, eventually, impact him. As of yet, though, he hasn't really faced any real major impact on his life - he's still living pretty much the same (maybe even more vacations than normal!) and doing the same things he has always been doing.

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 28, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

five bux says he lowtaxes himself once he actually has to deal with the consequences.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Double edit: instead of doubling down, I'll just say that I'm expressing frustration about things, not about what people are necessarily saying.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 28, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

If Jones died from a chili induced coronary tonight, he'd arrive at Troll Valhalla, resplendent, having lived a life of inflicting misery and having never suffered for it, with a capstone of having his horribleness quantized and declared the #1 best of all time.

By all means defend the system when it actually does something. So far, it's just threats and posturing. It's all smirk, no pain. He successfully made a mockery of the legal system until the moment it actually hurts him. Going from a billionaire to a millionaire is like retiring from being stupid rich to set-for-life. That's not a punishment. He won't change his behavior. It won't dissuade anyone else from doing what he did. It won't make the families whole. It's not justice. Maybe normal and expected, but not justice.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

five bux says he lowtaxes himself once he actually has to deal with the consequences.

We must find a way to bully him more.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

The blood pressure increase from all these trials has probably taken at least a couple years off his already rapidly diminishing life.

Like there's no better revenge than living well, and there's no greater schadenfruede than dying mad.

Yeah, every couple of months I see a picture of him he look's bigger, more red faced, and generally unhealthy.

He looks like he could stroke out any second.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bro won't need a shotgun to paint the infowars set with his brains, his superhuman blood pressure will take care of that. Gonna look like scanners.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bro won't need a shotgun to paint the infowars set with his brains, his superhuman blood pressure will take care of that. Gonna look like scanners.

Good lord yeah, I bet he shoots out blood like a sprinkler if he gets a paper cut.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

So he will live a happy, long, chili filled life?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alex Jones knicks himself shaving, 2024, colorized

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So anyone more familiar with US bankruptcy laws, can the IRS still go after him for the almost certain massive tax fraud he's committed, after he's gone through a bankruptcy proceeding or is that all clean slated by that? Seems like that must be more than a few people at the IRS who are aware that Jones is a massive crook and his books are likely dirty as hell, so it seems odd haven't heard anything from them yet (unless we have and I just missed it).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

Good lord yeah, I bet he shoots out blood like a sprinkler if he gets a paper cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqgY2XfY-Q

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slyphic posted:

This thread promised me I'd get to see "alex jones is turbofucked because he decided to do a few defamation against the parents of kids killed in Sandy Hook. How hosed? Lets watch" back in july of 2022.

I have yet to see him get turbofucked. He seems mildly inconvenienced and if anything less upset than normal for him.

he is literally one billion dollars in debt, and the courts have digging through his books and freezing or taking over all his assets

he is turbofucked

dude went from having "probably a couple hundred million dollars" to "whatever scraps the bankruptcy court will see fit to leave him with after cashing out basically all his assets to pay off his creditors"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alex Jones knicks himself shaving, 2024, colorized

What's this from? It's on the tip of my brain and going to bother me the rest of the night.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Xiahou Dun posted:

What's this from? It's on the tip of my brain and going to bother me the rest of the night.

ran, i think

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Seems like the courts decided Alex Jones owes 1.4 billion dollars. Seems pretty bad for him, to me.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Slyphic posted:

Howdy from the lonestar state. Yeah. Got a lot of grievances piling up lately.

:same:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How much of this was spurred by the new york times article that was a wet blanket and made it sound like alex is already free and clear?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

rotinaj posted:

How much of this was spurred by the new york times article that was a wet blanket and made it sound like alex is already free and clear?
it was spurred by a poster rubbing his hands and cackling like a batman villain "BWAHAHAHAHA!!" he posted, "your evil ends here alex joooones!!" lightning strikes and his post boomed over the forum
"w-w-what are you going to do to me??" squealed the cowardly sweaty fat sack of alex jones finishing a third banana daiquiri and motioning for a fourth
"that banana daiquiri this resort keeps serving you for free unlimited all weekend are laced with bananas!!"
"ooooh noooo!" squeals the odious scumbag stepping on a puppy dog's neck as a handsome cabana boy rubs suntan lotion on his back "and?"
"MWAHAHAHA!!! bananas contain a trace amount of the radioactive element potasium-40! if you eat only a few million of them you develop an addition 1-2% chance of developing radiation poisoning over a period of 15 to 20 years decreasing to zero after that!!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!"
"nooooooooo," jones paused to yawn and shifts his back against the resort chair, "you know i think biden may be satan himself, god told me that"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hm, I don't remember anyone posting that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hm, I don't remember anyone posting that.

Neither do I, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

rotinaj posted:

I'm assuming it's the 100% literal entire recorded human history of most rich people.

We have all personally seen hundreds of times of these people getting off with a slap on the wrist. It is extremely rare for a rich person to experience true justice. I was ecstatic when Bannon and Stone went to prison. Finally something ACTUALLY happened and I can see it with my own eyes.

Welp.... fooled again.

I honestly can't blame the doomers. Jones will still be living a better life (monetarily) than absolutely all of us for the rest of his. Sure, he might be being tortured inside, but I don't care at all. He needs to be punished. Severely. For everyone to see and take note.

This is all just imaginary numbers he's moving around and hiding. Numbers that big mean nothing to me. He's rich beyond belief. You've all seen what the judges think his livable salary should be which would make any of us rich instantly.

He won't truly be punished unless he gets caught is actually charged and convicted with doing something illegal and goes to prison and stays there for the rest of his life. Who knows how many people are dead because of him.

This whole thing is going to take years and him losing his empire and followers and everything is NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. That's the absolute least he should experience. He is an honest to god monster and should not be allowed in society.

edit: sorry for dooming but it's really frustrating sometimes :smith:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 29, 2023