Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Very easy purchase. Backed! I have my issues of the Blade Runner book, but the Alien books are impeccable. I love how they're framing this as the sourcebook for the films themselves. That's really what it feels like they're after as a company and as a person who loves systems, it's catnip to me.

Would love a Blade Runner 2019 and 2049 supplement that was after the same thing which managed a little more worldbuilding and was less cautious and safe. But I think we're in slow-drip season with BR despite the PDFs coming out nearly a year ago and a new case file nowhere on the horizon.

e: Also, while I'm on the subject, if anyone was interested in the BR game but doesn't have the patience to read through the books, someone did a really well-crafted audio drama/actual play version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQWCk7RLg9s

It is significantly better than you would assume based on that description. Basically someone just turned the RPG's campaign into a fully-produced audio drama with decent acting.

I still have to run a game of the Blade Runner RPG but I agree about that, the book definitely has a kind of safeness to it and, honestly some of it felt low key like it was intentionally as restrained as it was so they could do a few more books focusing on stuff that felt like this missing. The Alien RPG book in comparison feels like a definitely stand along book about Alien and Alien as an RPG even if the other books and starter kit stuff never came out.

If they did a 2019 book that would rule. The aesthetic of the current book is so restrained in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I loved Cold Forge and Charybdis was a great followup. I’d say really anyone who likes the first one should read the second one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if anybody's trying to get the Predator license for the arr pee gees.

They already made the Predator RPG, it's called Dread.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

While I have some complaints with Covenant, as a prog-rock reimagining of Forbidden Planet I find it easy to vibe with.

I don't think David finding a planet inhabited by the Engineer people implies that -- now that David's killed them -- they're gone forever. Rather, if there can be one planet inhabited by the Engineer people, there can easily be others. Especially given how the film is centered around humans going on to inhabit other planets.

The prequels are horror-comedies, and one of best jokes is that Shaw seeks out the origin of the engineers, and it’s plainly an impoverished planet in the space equivalent of Africa.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The prequels are horror-comedies, and one of best jokes is that Shaw seeks out the origin of the engineers, and it’s plainly an impoverished planet in the space equivalent of Africa.

On a of the things I've always appreciated about your prometheus read is how it takes the piss out of ancient alien poo poo. It's very obvious but I feel it's often ignored

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

On a of the things I've always appreciated about your prometheus read is how it takes the piss out of ancient alien poo poo. It's very obvious but I feel it's often ignored

It's even in the marketing, just people saw the ads saying "QUESTIONS...WILL BE...ANSWERED" and took that to mean like a wikipedia entry and not like challenged/retaliated against.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Like, zooming in: "What other monsters are out there? Just the ones the sad robot made" <---what? How do you know?

Now, I liked Covenant a lot, but coming out of the theater I had the strong impression it had gotten screwed around a bit in basically the same way that Sam Raimi's third Spider-Man movie had. We want more money, audiences like Venom/the xenomorph, so you better loving put the word "Alien" in the title and give us third act xenomorphs doing horror movie slasher poo poo!
That's what makes the egg important!

We knew of one pre-existing horror. Only one. Coming into Prometheus we were aware of only one specific instance of weird space monster. This is the only monster we saw, pre-Prometheus. We had evidence of one space monster. One space monster was known of. Space monster, known: One (1).

Sad robot makes a monster.

It's the space monster we already knew about.

Those space monsters we saw already? He put them there, directly or indirectly. What else are you supposed to conclude? We've gone from one space monster of unknown origin to zero space monsters not made by sad robots. A 100% reduction in genuine, wild-caught space monsters unrelated to one sad space robots' daddy issues. Zero examples of Engineers losing containment, zero example of engineers losing shipments, zero example of any space monsters outside of these two sources: A monster research facility whose failsafes successfully kept their weapons breach localised within the facility and NOT loose wreaking havoc across the galaxy, and a grumpy robot's amateur science projects. Why would we assume there's scary monsters loose out there NOT made by David? We've never seen any.

I absolutely agree with your latter sentence. If it had ended with David trilobiting whateverhisnamewasseriouslynobodycares instead of facehuggering him then it's a very different ending! A galaxy full of original flavour Engineer bioweapons AND whatever David has cooked up in his colony ship lab? It's still a garbage movie, but I'd definitely read some followup comics.

And yeah, I know it's been retconned that the Covenant alien is a "Praetomorph" and that he was doing the biological equivalent of pouring cheap plastic into improperly discarded Kenner castoffs, and that there's discarded scenes and screenplay drafts saying otherwise, and who knows, maybe it was even intended that you come out of the film fully understanding that the alien you saw wasn't the "real" alien at all! But the film that most people watched, processed, and interpreted, was that that scene was supposed to go "Look guys! It's the Alien! The one you like! This is where it comes from! The sad robot made it! Which is good for some reason!" And even the people who like the film, like you, think that was a bad move.

e: It's been said before, but the worst mistake in Prometheus and Covenant was putting "Alien" in front of the names.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 28, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

That's what makes the egg important!

We knew of one pre-existing horror. Only one. Coming into Prometheus we were aware of only one specific instance of weird space monster. This is the only monster we saw, pre-Prometheus. We had evidence of one space monster. One space monster was known of. Space monster, known: One (1).

Sad robot makes a monster.

It's the space monster we already knew about.

Those space monsters we saw already? He put them there, directly or indirectly. What else are you supposed to conclude? We've gone from one space monster of unknown origin to zero space monsters not made by sad robots.

But, to quote you, "Aliens are just one of a huge menagerie of monsters created by a race of weirdos who've been around since before the formation of life on earth. Alien is about humans stumbling upon one of their lost weapons like a gooey penis headed landmine. The galaxy must be FULL of monsters, many of them with bizarre lifecycles and heads shaped like human genitals because apparently that's what they're into!"

We actually never see a second or third Engineer facility in Prometheus or any other worlds they've seeded or anything like that. The actual movie tells the story of one series of accidents with one batch of mutagen. Still, the way things go down leads us to conclude that we're seeing one example of what could and indeed surely has happened rather than the only thing that ever will happen.

There's no qualitative difference between Prometheus and Covenant here; those movies just put the underground complex on LV-426 in context. Maybe by "zero monsters not made by sad robots" you mean "zero monsters we've seen onscreen not made by sad robots"? That's also technically not true since it's not like David made the worm or zombie or whatever we see in the first prequel, but I at least thing I see what you're getting at. However, it seems like your complaint encompasses both "I was hoping to see something unrelated to the heretofore existing Alien series" and "this has constrained if not destroyed the monster-spawning possibilities within the wider Alien setting, if there can be said to be such a thing" and the latter makes no sense to me.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xenomrph posted:

The same author who wrote Cold Forge wrote a sequel called Into Charybdis. I haven’t read it yet but it’s been as well regarded as Cold Forge.

Other than that the fan consensus on the other new novels has been “ehhh it’s okay” to “bad”.
Oh nice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

plainly an impoverished planet in the space equivalent of Africa.

What does this mean

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I actually saw this in a youtube comment when checking out the scene the other day: the 'engineers' David kills don't actually look quite like the Engineer in Prometheus - they're smaller and have slightly different cranial structure.

If you assume that's deliberate, then David just murdered another humanity-like seed species who hadn't killed Jesus and who just thought they were getting another visit from their progenitors.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
They were a different weight class of alien bodybuilder

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Maybe by "zero monsters not made by sad robots" you mean "zero monsters we've seen onscreen not made by sad robots"? That's also technically not true since it's not like David made the worm or zombie or whatever we see in the first prequel, but I at least thing I see what you're getting at. However, it seems like your complaint encompasses both "I was hoping to see something unrelated to the heretofore existing Alien series" and "this has constrained if not destroyed the monster-spawning possibilities within the wider Alien setting, if there can be said to be such a thing" and the latter makes no sense to me.
To echo Splicer, my disappointment is not only not seeing more weird poo poo (although the Neomorphs are great), but as Splicer said, reducing the capital-A Alien in the process.

I like the capital-A Alien, and I want more possibilities with it. I don’t like what Covenant tried to do (according to Ridley Scott). Thankfully it’s easy to work around within the broader context; I really like how the RPG (and Fireteam Elite) handle it - there’s all kinds of weird poo poo if you want to go that route but ALSO the potential for plenty of Aliens if that’s your jam.

Alchenar posted:

I actually saw this in a youtube comment when checking out the scene the other day: the 'engineers' David kills don't actually look quite like the Engineer in Prometheus - they're smaller and have slightly different cranial structure.

If you assume that's deliberate, then David just murdered another humanity-like seed species who hadn't killed Jesus and who just thought they were getting another visit from their progenitors.

That’s a great point, holy poo poo

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I for one don't want more Capital-A Alien, part of the premise of Alien was that space is vast and the galaxy is old, and that combination means that you can simultaneously spend a long time encountering absolutely nothing, but also at any moment stumble across anything. The scale of everything means a perpetual unknown.

Having the Alien be everything everywhere all at once is an incredibly dull and disappointing idea.

e: I also have no explanation for how we see David successfully land the ship at the docking port, and yet when the crew arrive on the planet it has clearly crashed some distance away from the city. The only thing I can think of is that it is one more piece of evidence for the case of 'David presents himself as a superior being genius on the surface, but is actually repeatedly a malfunctioning fuckup'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

But, to quote you, "Aliens are just one of a huge menagerie of monsters created by a race of weirdos who've been around since before the formation of life on earth. Alien is about humans stumbling upon one of their lost weapons like a gooey penis headed landmine. The galaxy must be FULL of monsters, many of them with bizarre lifecycles and heads shaped like human genitals because apparently that's what they're into!"

We actually never see a second or third Engineer facility in Prometheus or any other worlds they've seeded or anything like that. The actual movie tells the story of one series of accidents with one batch of mutagen. Still, the way things go down leads us to conclude that we're seeing one example of what could and indeed surely has happened rather than the only thing that ever will happen.

There's no qualitative difference between Prometheus and Covenant here; those movies just put the underground complex on LV-426 in context. Maybe by "zero monsters not made by sad robots" you mean "zero monsters we've seen onscreen not made by sad robots"? That's also technically not true since it's not like David made the worm or zombie or whatever we see in the first prequel, but I at least thing I see what you're getting at. However, it seems like your complaint encompasses both "I was hoping to see something unrelated to the heretofore existing Alien series" and "this has constrained if not destroyed the monster-spawning possibilities within the wider Alien setting, if there can be said to be such a thing" and the latter makes no sense to me.
Pretty sure at least most of this was here before my edit, and if not, well I edited it in for a reason:

Splicer posted:

We've gone from one space monster of unknown origin to zero space monsters not made by sad robots. A 100% reduction in genuine, wild-caught space monsters unrelated to one sad space robots' daddy issues. Zero examples of Engineers losing containment, zero example of engineers losing shipments, zero example of any space monsters outside of these two sources: A monster research facility whose failsafes successfully kept their weapons breach localised within the facility and NOT loose wreaking havoc across the galaxy, and a grumpy robot's amateur science projects. Why would we assume there's scary monsters loose out there NOT made by David? We've never seen any.
I'm saying stuff like "losing containment", "losing shipments", "monsters loose out there". If the aliens on LV-426 arrived there unrelated to David then there's implications. Bioweapons escaping into the wild is very, very bad, and if it can happen once what are the odds that the Nostromo (or Weyland Yutani listening station or whatever) stumbled across the only example? Once implies potential process failures, process failures have a habit of repeating. But if they're David's eggs then all we have is a site failure that was successfully contained until humans came and hosed it all up. Yeah we can probably assume there's been other site failures, but why do we have any reason to assume any others might have resulted in off-planet contamination? Seems more reasonable to assume it didn't.

If you see one mouse, you have many mice. If you see no mice, why assume you have mice at all?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alchenar posted:

Having the Alien be everything everywhere all at once is an incredibly dull and disappointing idea.
I don’t need Aliens everything everywhere, I just want them to have more scope and scale than Ridley Scott’s intent of “only where a sad robot went in a 20 year span”.
Like I said, that’s what the RPG delivers - the possibility for Aliens anywhere, uncoupled from the narrative constraints of David. That is a Good Thing.

Edit— or if you want to in the RPG, you can say “David did it” with your Aliens too! It’s open ended, it’s not off the table.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 28, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alchenar posted:

e: I also have no explanation for how we see David successfully land the ship at the docking port, and yet when the crew arrive on the planet it has clearly crashed some distance away from the city. The only thing I can think of is that it is one more piece of evidence for the case of 'David presents himself as a superior being genius on the surface, but is actually repeatedly a malfunctioning fuckup'.

I get the impression that David did the space equivalent of driving a car safely cross-country from NY to LA only to hit a mail box pulling into a driveway.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

To echo Splicer, my disappointment is not only not seeing more weird poo poo (although the Neomorphs are great), but as Splicer said, reducing the capital-A Alien in the process.

I like the capital-A Alien, and I want more possibilities with it. I don’t like what Covenant tried to do (according to Ridley Scott). Thankfully it’s easy to work around within the broader context; I really like how the RPG (and Fireteam Elite) handle it - there’s all kinds of weird poo poo if you want to go that route but ALSO the potential for plenty of Aliens if that’s your jam.

Eh, "reducing" is a matter of extremely arbitrary taste. Why would it "reduce" the alien to not make it sixty thousand years old? Does it not, in fact, reduce the alien to imagine it's some kind of super duper maxed-stats elder vampire and yet it gets outsmarted by one lady in her underwear? It always seemed to me that it was Cameron who screwed things up with regards to the xenomorph's personal gravitas and cosmic threat.

That said, this is a totally different question from what Splicer's talking about.

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure at least most of this was here before my edit, and if not, well I edited it in for a reason:

I'm saying stuff like "losing containment", "losing shipments", "monsters loose out there". If the aliens on LV-426 arrived there unrelated to David then there's implications. Bioweapons escaping into the wild is very, very bad, and if it can happen once what are the odds that the Nostromo (or Weyland Yutani listening station or whatever) stumbled across the only example? Once implies potential process failures, process failures have a habit of repeating. But if they're David's eggs then all we have is a site failure that was successfully contained until humans came and hosed it all up. Yeah we can probably assume there's been other site failures, but why do we have any reason to assume any others might have resulted in off-planet contamination? Seems more reasonable to assume it didn't.

If you see one mouse, you have many mice. If you see no mice, why assume you have mice at all?

It just does not make sense to watch Prometheus and conclude there's other monsters out there, and then watch Covenant and conclude the exact opposite. Every conclusion you drew from the first movie remains both valid and sound in light of the second.

Now, personally I don't care whether a story increases or reduces the comsos' absolute monster count. But your reasoning just doesn't follow!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Eh, "reducing" is a matter of extremely arbitrary taste. Why would it "reduce" the alien to not make it sixty thousand years old? Does it not, in fact, reduce the alien to imagine it's some kind of super duper maxed-stats elder vampire and yet it gets outsmarted by one lady in her underwear? It always seemed to me that it was Cameron who screwed things up with regards to the xenomorph's personal gravitas and cosmic threat.
It reduces it because the Alien can spread farther in 200,000 years with other means than it can in 20 strictly with David, and I like the idea that, like the Jockey, it’s old enough to drink alcohol. We’ve kinda gone over this. Having the potential for more Aliens is a Good Thing. There’s a reason why the franchise walked it back before the movie even came out, and has continued to do so. Having more Aliens doesn’t mean there aren’t potentially other horrors, or lessen their impact. It’s not a zero-sum game.

And yes, Cameron did screw things up, and plenty of fans don’t like what his movie did with the creature. I’m okay with it though, Aliens can be dangerous space-ants and still have the potential to do interesting poo poo - it’s why I like the Labyrinth comic book so much.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 29, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

It just does not make sense to watch Prometheus and conclude there's other monsters out there, and then watch Covenant and conclude the exact opposite. Every conclusion you drew from the first movie remains both valid and sound in light of the second.

Now, personally I don't care whether a story increases or reduces the comsos' absolute monster count. But your reasoning just doesn't follow!
I should say I'm not trying to say this is the only possible intuitive, internally consistent interpretation, though I could see how I could have come across that way. I'm saying it is the internally consistent interpretation I personally did most intuitive and how the capital A Alien ties into that. I have explained so you understand where I'm coming from, and because you asked. Not to make you agree with me.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 29, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

With all the talk of rpgs, comics, and video games, I can just imagine the conversations in the BSS Aliens thread.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

With all the talk of rpgs, comics, and video games, I can just imagine the conversations in the BSS Aliens thread.

I don’t think there is one?

There’s one in GBS but we post about how we’re thinking about Aliens. Someone recently posted music videos from Bill Paxton’s band, which star an all-star greatest hits lineup of James Cameron’s favorite actors.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

I'd hope the comics forum thread treats the films like the films treat the comics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I get the impression that David did the space equivalent of driving a car safely cross-country from NY to LA only to hit a mail box pulling into a driveway.

David strikes me as the kind of character that would scuttle the ship because he has no need for it at that immediate time. Like he just hits the points of whelp I've got everything I need here and learned everything about this ship.

I really wish Scott had absolute control over Covenant and got to do a third movie just based on how wild Raised By Wolves got.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Alchenar posted:

I also have no explanation for how we see David successfully land the ship at the docking port, and yet when the crew arrive on the planet it has clearly crashed some distance away from the city. The only thing I can think of is that it is one more piece of evidence for the case of 'David presents himself as a superior being genius on the surface, but is actually repeatedly a malfunctioning fuckup'.

If you consider David an unreliable narrator, it raises the question and possibility that the planet may have already been like that before David and Shaw (or what was left of her) arrived. For all we know the entire docking sequence and unleashing of the black swarm (I hesitate to call it goo - it resembles the black swarms that we see released from miniature pods on the ground, which we know David studied after arriving) could be pure fantasy for David after having stumbled upon a dead world. We know that his memory does not function correctly, we also have no information connecting the supposed flashback showing David as a god, to the reality of a sad, lonely and malfunctioning robot experimenting on the ecosystem of a planet away from where that very same ship somehow crashed.

Perhaps something significant that we are not aware of happened (maybe Shaw was alive and crashed the ship after David unleashed the swarm?) or perhaps David cries for other reasons. In Prometheus, David watched with childlike wonder as engineers ran in fear and we see them do so once more in his fantasy of being a god. Piles of dead engineers were discovered in Prometheus, and piles of dead engineers flood the city in Covenant. Their fates could have been the same, maybe David was late both times?

Alternatively, he botched the fingering upon entry so severely that he created a new hole.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FastestGunAlive posted:

What does this mean

I love explaining a joke, so: in reality, humans originated in Africa, so you could imagine a Martian conqueror demanding that his subordinates bring him to the origin of humanity (with the obvious expectation of meeting with the most prestigious human leaders).

This martian would likely end up very confused - just as Shaw likely was when she discovered that the Engineer homeworld is populated by an obviously-oppressed racial group.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

It reduces it because the Alien can spread farther in 200,000 years with other means than it can in 20 strictly with David, and I like the idea that, like the Jockey, it’s old enough to drink alcohol. We’ve kinda gone over this. Having the potential for more Aliens is a Good Thing. There’s a reason why the franchise walked it back before the movie even came out, and has continued to do so. Having more Aliens doesn’t mean there aren’t potentially other horrors, or lessen their impact. It’s not a zero-sum game.

And yes, Cameron did screw things up, and plenty of fans don’t like what his movie did with the creature. I’m okay with it though, Aliens can be dangerous space-ants and still have the potential to do interesting poo poo - it’s why I like the Labyrinth comic book so much.

The hypothetical facehugger-pod density of the universe is a strange thing to be concerned with here since whether or not there are billions of them offscreen makes no difference to whether we'll ever get to see more of them on the big screen, and indeed whether the first and only facehugger pod ever was made by David in 21XX doesn't actually bear on whether there are secretly billions of aliens offscreen on other planets (since they might have been rapidly spread across the galaxy, or shortly thereafter be spread rapidly across the galaxy, by any number of plot devices).

It's akin to how, I don't know... the destruction of Krypton doesn't actually preclude there being more Superman content, even in a hypothetical alternate telling of the series in which we only learn that Superman is an alien named Kal-El late in the game, and only learn that his homeworld was destroyed later still.

Splicer posted:

I should say I'm not trying to say this is the only possible intuitive, internally consistent interpretation, though I could see how I could have come across that way. I'm saying it is the internally consistent interpretation I personally did most intuitive and how the capital A Alien ties into that. I have explained so you understand where I'm coming from, and because you asked. Not to make you agree with me.

But it's not internally consistent. Splicer-who-just-saw-Prometheus would disagree radically with Splicer-who-just-saw-Covenant. Your disappointment with a lack of novel imagery seems to have crossed some kind of wire with your understanding of some kind of hypothetical setting bible and it has you being like "burn it all loving down".

Now, I suppose if we only watch Covenant, Alien, and Aliens in a row we might be a little more likely to conclude, by inductive reasoning, ah these movies are set in a completely realistic world except for the one mad genius who's decided to start populating it with monsters. But even then, the fans of the series in that parallel universe would be asking each other, where did David get that spaceship and its canisters of mutagen? Have they ever been used elsewhere? What else is out there?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 29, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Darko posted:

Splicer, I don't think more than a couple of people are entirely happy with Covenant. People have turned around on Prometheus and you're starting to get this huge love/hate split around it, but even when people *like* Covenent, it's *in spite* of the movie throwing away what it could have been (especially knowing that much of the reason is studios pushing more Xenos because that's what the people want). With Prometheus, people are like "this is a really great film, and it expands the universe in a way I like, and David is awesome," while with Covenant you get "this is a really great film, but I would have liked to have seen (a number of extensions of Prometheus that never came to be)" as praise in general. And that's for those that actually praise it completely; others have caveats to even what I compliment (for instance, I loved more David being weird and exploring him more but I think the last act is dumb and takes away from the rest of the feel of the entire movie).

There are dozens of us!!!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

Now, I suppose if we only watch Covenant, Alien, and Aliens in a row

That is a hosed up proposition sweet lord baby jesus what the wank is wrong with you? Can we keep the horror unknowable please.

gently caress.

:stare:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

That is a hosed up proposition sweet lord baby jesus what the wank is wrong with you? Can we keep the horror unknowable please.

gently caress.

:stare:

What's everyones' favorite shameless Alien ripoffs? I love Forbidden World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdCCyJWapA

It should be on a lot of the streaming services now I think, it might be under the title MUTANT (1982), if you see both the Mutant version is a little longer but no gore/anything was cut from the movie, like with Lifeforce it was cut for pacing reasons. But the downside is the MUTANT cut's audio quality isn't as good, sort of like the Anchor Bay Manhunter Director's Cut it's the more complete movie but not as much attention was paid to how it looks and sounds, IIRC it's not even cropped the same. :(

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 29, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The hypothetical facehugger-pod density of the universe is a strange thing to be concerned with here since whether or not there are billions of them offscreen makes no difference to whether we'll ever get to see more of them on the big screen, and indeed whether the first and only facehugger pod ever was made by David in 21XX doesn't actually bear on whether there are secretly billions of aliens offscreen on other planets (since they might have been rapidly spread across the galaxy, or shortly thereafter be spread rapidly across the galaxy, by any number of plot devices).
I like my Aliens being old and I like the potential for them to be more places than a sad robot went in 20 years, it really is that simple. Ridley Scott’s intent hampers that, and I don’t like that. Thankfully it’s easy to look past his intent and interpret the movies in a way that pleases me.

I’m more annoyed by them being young, I feel it runs counter to the themes presented in ‘Alien’. The derelict is inferred to be old, it can be inferred that it’s contents are old, that plays into the Lovecraftian themes of ancient dangers that predate humanity and care not about its actions or desires. I feel it makes them more interesting and compelling if they’re old.

Making the eggs 20 years old hinders that, and I don’t like it and choose to believe otherwise.

Tying it specifically to David is reductive, I prefer the interpretation that David had nothing to do with the Derelict or its contents. That is what I choose to believe, because it gives me the most enjoyment from the media and I find it the most interesting.

It really is that simple.

I feel like I shouldn’t have to spell this out (again).

I’m yet to see an argument about how constraining the Alien to David and to such a narrow timescale is a good thing. Again, more Aliens out there is a Good Thing.

Also we’re getting a new Alien movie and TV series, both of which are apparently set before Covenant, so it looks like I’ll get my wish.

Like Splicer, I am not trying to convince you that I’m “right”, I am expressing an opinion about what I like and don’t like.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 29, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

What's everyones' favorite shameless Alien ripoffs? I love Forbidden World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdCCyJWapA

It should be on a lot of the streaming services now I think, it might be under the title MUTANT (1982), if you see both the Mutant version is a little longer but no gore/anything was cut from the movie, like with Lifeforce it was cut for pacing reasons. But the downside is the MUTANT cut's audio quality isn't as good, sort of like the Anchor Bay Manhunter Director's Cut it's the more complete movie but not as much attention was paid to how it looks and sounds, IIRC it's not even cropped the same. :(

Isolation (2005, on Shudder last I checked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXRxaC2L7M

Leviathan (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ugObcErgc

Life (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuA-xqBw4jE

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

What's everyones' favorite shameless Alien ripoffs?

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

More seriously, although it may not count I think Event Horizon is an enjoyable movie and really wish there had been a directors cut released, especially after seeing that clip of Sam Neill's character crawling along the wall that never made it into the film but looks utterly freaky. On a related and rather sad note, he was also recently diagnosed with blood cancer :( Highly recommend another Sam Neill movie that is an absolute gem and must-watch which is Possession, with an utterly phenomenal performance by Isabelle Adjani.

I won't claim this to be a particularly good movie (better than AvP, though) but I found it enjoyable for what it was: Pandorum. A little frustrating to watch as afterwards you'll more than likely be left disappointed by the wasted potential, but still worth a watch imo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have great news for you about Sam Neill:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp7B76NATGb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I like my Aliens being old and I like the potential for them to be more places than a sad robot went in 20 years, it really is that simple. Ridley Scott’s intent hampers that, and I don’t like that. Thankfully it’s easy to look past his intent and interpret the movies in a way that pleases me.

I’m more annoyed by them being young, I feel it runs counter to the themes presented in ‘Alien’. The derelict is inferred to be old, it can be inferred that it’s contents are old, that plays into the Lovecraftian themes of ancient dangers that predate humanity and care not about its actions or desires. I feel it makes them more interesting and compelling if they’re old.

Making the eggs 20 years old hinders that, and I don’t like it and choose to believe otherwise.

Tying it specifically to David is reductive, I prefer the interpretation that David had nothing to do with the Derelict or its contents. That is what I choose to believe, because it gives me the most enjoyment from the media and I find it the most interesting.

It really is that simple.

It's only making you unhappy to draw a line between the egg and the catalyst and be like, it's not enough for the catalyst to be millenia old, the egg ALSO has to be millenia old.

Imagine running into a fellow Alien fan who loves the movie, but just can't stand that the monster that came out of Kane is like a day old, tops. Wouldn't it be cooler if it was actually millenia old? Augh! If only there was some way to resolve this!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t think I see the point you’re trying to make here.

I made my opinion very clear, and why I feel that way. I want the eggs to be old. The catalyst isn’t good enough. I can have this, it’s very simple. I cannot make this more clear. We have discussed this in the past, multiple times.

If we go round and round on this again I am going to disengage because there is no way I can make my position any more clear, and I don’t see a need to draw out a pointless conversation.

I am sharing an opinion with you and why I think it, that’s all.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 29, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t think I see the point you’re trying to make here.

I made my opinion very clear, and why I feel that way.

Well if, for example, you met someone who really wanted to enjoy Alien, but simply couldn't take the monster seriously because it was like a day old—practically a baby—you might try to reassure them by explaining that, yes, the specific creature that marauds the crew of the Nostromo (or, let's say, the egg that Ripley saves Newt from at the last second) is extremely young, but it clearly came from something far more ancient.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

More seriously, although it may not count I think Event Horizon is an enjoyable movie and really wish there had been a directors cut released, especially after seeing that clip of Sam Neill's character crawling along the wall that never made it into the film but looks utterly freaky. On a related and rather sad note, he was also recently diagnosed with blood cancer :( Highly recommend another Sam Neill movie that is an absolute gem and must-watch which is Possession, with an utterly phenomenal performance by Isabelle Adjani.

I won't claim this to be a particularly good movie (better than AvP, though) but I found it enjoyable for what it was: Pandorum. A little frustrating to watch as afterwards you'll more than likely be left disappointed by the wasted potential, but still worth a watch imo.

I remember generally digging Pandorum and Possession of course rules.

I'm always torn about Event Horizon, overall I like it but yeah the movie has this weird feel where it's constantly on this verge of REALLY cutting loose but then it doesn't quite do it. Good stuff overall imo.

Name Change posted:

Isolation (2005, on Shudder last I checked)

Leviathan (1989)

Life (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuA-xqBw4jE

I love Leviathan, it gets kind of slow because there's such a big gap between when the first person gets infected and when stuff starts going bad since by the time the movie came out we already know how this kind of story goes, but it's so cool otherwise, gently caress them for killing Ernie Hudson though.

I haven't seen Isolation or Life I'll definitely check them out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Well if, for example, you met someone who really wanted to enjoy Alien, but simply couldn't take the monster seriously because it was like a day old—practically a baby—you might try to reassure them by explaining that, yes, the specific creature that marauds the crew of the Nostromo (or, let's say, the egg that Ripley saves Newt from at the last second) is extremely young, but it clearly came from something far more ancient.

No I understand that you’re trying to reassure me, and as we’ve gone over in the past, that is not good enough. There are ways to have what gives me the most enjoyment from the media, and I am content with that.

It’s that simple.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think it’s fine, if you are really into a movie or movie franchise, to want to totally immerse yourself in it.

Meaning novels, games, comics, etc. it’s fun!

As an example I really have no desire to play the Alien RPG, or really any RPGs anymore, but I’d dearly love to have the sourcebook and the Colonial Marines sourcebook, and whatever scenarios they’ve put out, just for reading material.

I’d put them on the shelf next to my Colonial Marines Technical Manual, and my Dark Horse Aliens trade paperbacks.

Is that weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not at all, it’s a perfectly acceptable way to engage with media you enjoy. Do what gives you the most enjoyment. :hfive: