Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Paypal's had this for some time. No surprise others in the same space are following suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

They already offer 12- and 24-month payment plans via the Apple Card; this new thing is just for small(er) purchases on Apple stuff (“small” and “Apple” lol), with payments every week or so. So you buy something for $1000 and pay some amount per week for like 6 weeks.

The big takeaway is that they’re creating their own financing arm, so yeah, they’re cutting out the fees they pay and keeping it for themselves now. So gg Goldman Sachs.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

anime was right posted:

yeah, or some other kind of fee. the point is to get people to use apple pay and get your stuff in the system to build habits first

hell, i could see them just making their money off the CC fees depending on how this is handled.

I’ve been seeing Klarna ads everywhere and apparently even FAST FOOD is something you should be taking a loan for. if apple can lock all their customers into their own financing platform they’re gonna make bank. very cool economy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thread well ahead of the discourse yet again

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/...ce=articleShare

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

skooma512 posted:

Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics

This should have been the thread title

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anytime you see massive drops in the market followed by a huge upswing you have to be a compete moron to go “yeah, time to buy.”

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

her group rates are pretty good

:iceburn:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

roffles posted:

I’ve been seeing Klarna ads everywhere and apparently even FAST FOOD is something you should be taking a loan for. if apple can lock all their customers into their own financing platform they’re gonna make bank. very cool economy

When I saw the Klarna ad for doing a payment plan to buy a pizza, that's when I think I fully realized just how over this country is. There's no way an empire could sustain fast food financing as a viable necessity and still be recognizable inside of a decade.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/boz_menzalji/status/1640828353589710848?t=EFuX1q2zdVg8y5sddWbdIg&s=19

https://twitter.com/BobbyCalvan/status/1639735151641985025?t=t7dNEavi8ERgitoyrYTV1A&s=19

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

SlimGoodbody posted:

When I saw the Klarna ad for doing a payment plan to buy a pizza, that's when I think I fully realized just how over this country is. There's no way an empire could sustain fast food financing as a viable necessity and still be recognizable inside of a decade.

?? if financing literally everything can be normalized behavior, then the misery can really skyrocket. seems like a fine way to dominate?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

?? if financing literally everything can be normalized behavior, then the misery can really skyrocket. seems like a fine way to dominate?

Oh for sure, but like, for how long? That bill comes due eventually, right? Like no matter how many layers of mediation and obfuscation and rent-seeking gets imposed between a human being and human needs (food, water, shelter, medicine), ultimately the physical reality of those needs has to meet and be consumed by the physical human at a constant rate in order for the whole train to keep sputtering along. If people get crushed out of the system by, essentially, school lunch debt at a pan-societal scale, I don't see how the system can realistically continue to thrive, profit, or exist.

Maybe a shorter way to put it is that nobody can buy your stuff if they're dead or impoverished, so pushing towards a system that can only produce those two outcomes for a geometrically increasing percentage of the population seems... untenable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

The problem here is not that our economic models don’t work at all. The models seem serviceable when things are simple and stable, when we are in a steady state with tons of past data to draw on. The problem is that the models don’t work when our economy is weird. And that’s precisely when we most need them to work.

(astro)physics dumped the steady-state model 50+ years ago despite the protests of Nobel prize winners, what is economics waiting for?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh for sure, but like, for how long? That bill comes due eventually, right? Like no matter how many layers of mediation and obfuscation and rent-seeking gets imposed between a human being and human needs (food, water, shelter, medicine), ultimately the physical reality of those needs has to meet and be consumed by the physical human at a constant rate in order for the whole train to keep sputtering along. If people get crushed out of the system by, essentially, school lunch debt at a pan-societal scale, I don't see how the system can realistically continue to thrive, profit, or exist.

Maybe a shorter way to put it is that nobody can buy your stuff if they're dead or impoverished, so pushing towards a system that can only produce those two outcomes for a geometrically increasing percentage of the population seems... untenable.

the name of the game is 'Eliminationism'.

Between COVID/homelessness/lack of access to medical care/opioids the aristocracy is betting they can kill off a significant portion of the population and because we're so atomized no one will even notice.

They're more likely to be right than wrong, sadly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Between COVID/homelessness/lack of access to medical care/opioids the aristocracy is betting they can kill off a significant portion of the population and because we're so atomized no one will even notice.

Doesn't address his main point: We can't buy their trash if we're dead and capitalism is a giant machine, you can't just kick the legs out of huge sectors of the economy and have the rest be ok

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Regarde Aduck posted:

Doesn't address his main point: We can't buy their trash if we're dead and capitalism is a giant machine, you can't just kick the legs out of huge sectors of the economy and have the rest be ok

we'll see. It seems like capitalists are a lot more interested in just staying on top than seeking more profit via exchange.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

They are reorienting the economy so it will work if large swathes of people can no longer consume.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mr Hootington posted:

They are reorienting the economy so it will work if large swathes of people can no longer consume.

that sounds a lot like "trying to gaslight their way through The Collapse unscathed" which really worked for french nobles et al

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
a rising lol lifts all lmaos

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

silentsnack posted:

that sounds a lot like "trying to gaslight their way through The Collapse unscathed" which really worked for french nobles et al

'Surely we can automate the peasants.'

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't see anything self-contradictory at all for the parasites trying to turn everyone into hosts.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

What would that even look like? There's only so much smoke and mirrors you can use to get rich dickheads to trade $100,000 monkey jpegs back and forth without the economy just idk not meaning anything? Everything, everything, is really just a luxury appendage bolted, Frankenstein style, onto the same basic torso of that basic bottom floor of Maslow's hierarchy. You can't invert that pyramid, right? Like, lotus eating can't really be an economy without people growing, harvesting, and delivering lotuses, and all those people need food, shelter, etc.

I'm sure automation can handle it to some degree, but I don't know if the elites are actually terribly interested in a world where the only people who consume anything are them and their shrinking cohort, and the only thing they consume is various forms of valueless, zero calorie, gilded frosting that arbitrarily costs eleven million dollars an ounce.

Edit:

Koirhor posted:

a rising lol lifts all lmaos

Thread title

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Business innovation dot gif

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
SerfGPT

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

anyone have the tweet with the binance my_crimes.txt collage with "two eyes closed" front and center? tia

e: nm found it https://twitter.com/gf_256/status/1640616280788193280

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Penisaurus Sex posted:

we'll see. It seems like capitalists are a lot more interested in just staying on top than seeking more profit via exchange.

How can you stay on top of a seething mass of pissed off humans if you have no money nor any ability to produce anything? Our "betters" use tech, money, and treats to keep people under control, so start yanking those away and people aren't just gonna lie down in a gutter and die, they'll burn down a city.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
australian CPI CRATERS to a mere 6.8, number goes wild

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

our betters are, in fact, betting on everybody just lying down in a gutter and dying

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Crippling inflation: one weird trick to reduce debt that lenders HATE

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

lol since we're already at "No one wants to work anymore"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

0 rows returned posted:

our betters are, in fact, betting on everybody just lying down in a gutter and dying

Nah, they're pumping a ton of money into divisive hateful culture war poo poo so that we'll kill ourselves fighting over the crumbs of their feast.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Cigna balls

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

0 rows returned posted:

Yeah but they're also dumb as gently caress.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

0 rows returned posted:

Or killing each other

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

And how do they intend to stay on top of anyone who either doesn't or stops killing their population? They're destroying the very slaves that make them strong, period. They can't even sell the stuff in on on the land without labor, and they can't raid or demand deals without labor to either corner markets or to shoot anyone who doesn't do what they say.

They depopulate the US, and they'll experience a proportional or super proportional loss in wealth, and from that power. They can kill each other to maintain their individual power or settle for only dominating in their little fiefdoms and having to answer to the big boys who didn't intentionally famine themselves, but they aren't going to see their international power do anything but plummet.

Oh and all that international reach and power was what held them all together and let them run roughshod over the peons so easily. They're gonna hate being couped by whoever finally decides they want to be a puppet to maintain their position in the world. They can blast others, but they can't blast themselves (and if they do well that solves us doesnt it).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Nah, they're pumping a ton of money into divisive hateful culture war poo poo so that we'll kill ourselves fighting over the crumbs of their feast.

yea but if you're pulling copper out of the walls to pay the police to protect you from rioters, eventually you run out of wires and the pigs eat you

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

0 rows returned posted:

It worked for covid

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silentsnack posted:

yea but if you're pulling copper out of the walls to pay the police to protect you from rioters, eventually you run out of wires and the pigs eat you

OK, but we really need to make our sales goals for this quarter, so don't worry about next quarter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm sure there will be legislative and regulatory action on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

they're betting on slaves or robots hope that's helps