Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it's covered by a thingy then cheapo extendable (adjustable) curtain rail is enough.

vvv yes a track

peanut fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

peanut posted:

If it's covered by a thingy then cheapo extendable (adjustable) curtain rail is enough.
By rail do you mean a traditional rod or traverse rod aka track?

Ikea has a cheap rod that claims to handle a 22lb load so I wouldn’t need a support bracket in the middle, just the usual ones on the end. That’s only $13 for everything: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hugad-curtain-rod-white-30217140/

They also have the cheapest track I’ve seen, but it’s only 55” long so I would need 2 of them for $50. Given that neither fixture will be visible, I’m tempted to go with this solution since the curtains will be much easier to completely open as opposed to the top part still grabbing (see below): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vidga-single-track-set-white-s49428232/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 29, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 12, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

Maybe if I buy this $800 wall unit I will feel too guilty to not use it though? Although $800 for 12mm MDF is a lot…

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/peter-j-lassen-hide-shoe-cabinet-with-flip-drawer-montana-mobler

I didn’t even know nice furniture companies made these, I thought they were exclusively the territory of like, overstock.com. This seems like a good one to try my hand at making DIY.

that thing is dope as hell, but if you want to save money you can just store your shoes in a closet in one of those shoe holders that has a hanger on top

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

that thing is dope as hell, but if you want to save money you can just store your shoes in a closet in one of those shoe holders that has a hanger on top

I have no coat closet 💀 and we need everyday shoe storage somewhere closer than the bedroom. A separate wall mounted cabinet ended up making things look cluttered, so the current plan is to build one of those foldout shoe drawers into a custom made console like this. Wish me luck. I’m just happy I averted my fiancé from buying one of those cheap and ugly shoe shelves from Open Spaces.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

I have no coat closet 💀 and we need everyday shoe storage somewhere closer than the bedroom. A separate wall mounted cabinet ended up making things look cluttered, so the current plan is to build one of those foldout shoe drawers into a custom made console like this. Wish me luck. I’m just happy I averted my fiancé from buying one of those cheap and ugly shoe shelves from Open Spaces.

where do you store your coats? if it's just a freestanding system, you could have a shoe rack on the bottom of it

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

where do you store your coats? if it's just a freestanding system, you could have a shoe rack on the bottom of it

I have this freestanding coat rack, not really enough room under this style one for a separate shelf. The long term plan for coats is to wall mount a bunch of vitra coat dots, and it’s not really an option to put a shelf underneath them because we have some long coats that will almost sweep the floor. I guess i could get a big bureau or hall tree but I felt like those would take up too much precious real estate in this small space.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

I have this freestanding coat rack, not really enough room under this style one for a separate shelf. The long term plan for coats is to wall mount a bunch of vitra coat dots, and it’s not really an option to put a shelf underneath them because we have some long coats that will almost sweep the floor. I guess i could get a big bureau or hall tree but I felt like those would take up too much precious real estate in this small space.

the dots are cool. i'm guessing you already considered the eames hang-it-all

what about a low storage box or bench? how many pairs of shoes are we talking here?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Anyone have any recommendations for a nice decent desk. Im lookin at Uplift. I like the style, but i dont know how often ill use the lifting functionality. Lookin for an L shaped desk so i can be an executive nerd. Im adhd enough to go buy the tools and make this a 4 year project thats never fully complete.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Im adhd enough to go buy the tools and make this a 4 year project thats never fully complete.

I would normally recommend against this but I taught myself to weld aluminum making myself a desk and I don't think I'll ever own another.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

KillHour posted:

I would normally recommend against this but I taught myself to weld aluminum making myself a desk and I don't think I'll ever own another.

Damnit...did you go with mig or tig? Whyd you choose aluminum over steel or stainless steel?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Damnit...did you go with mig or tig? Whyd you choose aluminum over steel or stainless steel?

I used MIG and it was terrible in every way. Go TIG. I used aluminum because it's a big desk and it would have been hilariously heavy otherwise.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
For those of you interested in MCM architecture, there's a large house in Montclair, NJ that's up for sale.
https://www.westofhudsonrealty.com/properties/listing/205-highland-ave-montclair-twp-nj--3842602/

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Saw this on a Facebook group.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...source=txtshare

Why, why would you do that to your ceilings?! I love the house otherwise, but just WHY?!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

it shriveled up posted:

Why, why would you do that to your ceilings?! I love the house otherwise, but just WHY?!

I love the poo poo out of this house. didn't even notice the ceilings. that huge open rounded living space is amazing.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

it shriveled up posted:

LMAO I had such a shock seeing this posted here. I grew up in Bellevue and people talked about it all the time. I always wondered what it looked like inside! IS that carpet on the ceiling? What is that?

Those white ceiling tiles are in the house we just bought in Minnesota. It must have been a thing in the 70s, because our house is a 1954 Rambler and we have those in the formal dining room (which will be my study) and upstairs where they built extra rooms. I kinda like them and I don't know why. I don't get to move in until we leave Texas on July 1st and close on the 5th.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 27, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a proper name for the type of sectional sofa where each "seat" is an individual piece? I'm thinking about getting one but all the pieces must fit through a relatively narrow doorway.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there a proper name for the type of sectional sofa where each "seat" is an individual piece? I'm thinking about getting one but all the pieces must fit through a relatively narrow doorway.

I have seen them advertised as "modular" sectionals.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
They're also super lovely in my experience. Try to test before you buy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Will do, although I'm looking for cheap and I'm okay with lovely - if all goes well I'll only have/use it for a few months.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I got a Burrow Nomad for our attic and I'm happy with the purchase. I'd also feel comfortable disassembling and reassembling it after a move (unlike the Ikea stuff I've had that never seemed as sturdy affterward), and it's a comfortable-enough couch to bother doing it.

Seat Module Box: 36” x 19” x 28” (42 lbs)
Arms Box: 43” x 13” x 21” (30 lbs)
Ottoman Box: 30” x 12” x 29” (28 lbs)
Chaise Base Box: 31” x 8” x 29” (28 lbs)
Chaise Cushion Box: 57” x 7” x 29” (19 lbs)

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
We bought an inside weather Bondi and each seat was basically a square plywood frame with legs and seatbelt webbing over the top. Then you clamped them together and put a giant square cushion on the top that just sat there unattached. If you ever put your weight on the edge of a cushion it just sank straight to the frame. Was the dumbest most uncomfortable couch I've ever sat on and the company was real scummy about returns despite advertising their satisfaction guaranty. You had to pay an 'environmental fee' which in small print they base off a portion on the non discounted price but always sold them at like half off... It ended up costing over $500 to return it.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 2, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have signed a lease for my first place of my own since my days of dingy college pads full of Salvation Army furniture 20 years ago. (In the interim, I lived with family, and spent many years doing a job where I lived out of hotels). I have no idea what I’m doing, and need some help figuring out how to make rooms that look good.

What I have: I’m coming into a nice big 2 bedroom apartment with my bed, a dresser, a desk, a Kallax bookshelf, and three couches and two coffee tables that I’m liberating from my parents place because they don’t want to schlep them to Florida.

What I’ve done; I used Polycam to put together a floor plan of the new place with measurements and just kind of half assedly doodled some basic furniture placement on my iPad to get an idea of what fits and works.

What I need: I’m obviously gonna have to buy a bunch of furniture - specifically a dining set and some nightstands and another dresser probably - but most of that can wait, and I think I have an eye for what works with what mostly.

My more pressing need is rugs. Every room more or less requires a rug because of building rules and I just have no loving clue how to identify a rug that will really tie the room together or whatever and give me some flexibility for my future furniture shopping that needs to happen. I figure I probably need an 8x10 for both the living and bedroom, an 8x6 for the office, and some sort of square or maybe circular one for that weird foyer/hall/dining space adjacent to the kitchen, and some quantity of hallway runner type stuff.

But I have no clue what to look for in terms of colors or patterns that will work with my brown leather couches (the living room ones are a light blonde leather; the one in the office is a super dark brown), and, maybe more importantly, the huge white/pink/coral looking coffee table I’m inheriting that I love to death even if I have no clue how to make it work with anything else.

The walls are all gross “the building super slapped this on and he buys in bulk” beige tending towards pink (the only photo I have is of the cabinets but it does the job):

I’m trying not to spend too much on rugs - I know there’s tons of cheap ones to be had on Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair, and a half dozen other websites - but also I am just so overwhelmed by choices and have only a tiny babby understanding of interior design and color so please tell me what I should be thinking about and looking for.

Stay tuned for more exciting questions as I get lost in IKEA repeatedly or whatever.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
This is a super rough way of cheating color schemes, but if you go to here it’s a color scheme generator. You can lock colors and then have the website come up with others that will compliment what you have. I’d make sure to include your floor color in the locked ones. Then just generate until you find something you like.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I think we’re going to need pictures of this huge white/pink/coral coffee table to properly assist

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have 7 rolls of Ralph Lauren wallpaper I have no use for. I can't find anything about the particular style, listed prices for other RL wallpaper are all over the place, so I have no idea what's reasonable to ask if I list them for sale locally or online. Can anyone help give me a reasonable estimate or point me toward somewhere I could find any info on them? 6 rolls are still sealed from the factory, but the plastic on one is ripped so you can get a decent look at the design.

Also, is there a better way than searching completed listings on eBay to get an idea of what antique/retro/etc. lamps, glassware/crystal, and other things along those lines are worth? The prices I see on sites like Chairish and Replacements seem ridiculously high, Etsy sellers seem to be completely detached from reality and assume "it's old, so it's valuable," and I have no idea whether people would actually pay for a lot of things I'm looking to sell.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

IMO eBay is the best 'what is a normal/bargain-conscious person willing to pay for this.' 1stdibs/chairish are a little more 'what are these things being offered at retail for' but you don't really have any indication if people are actually buying them at that price. I only know the antiques business a little bit, but at least there it's definitely 'stick a big price tag on it, maybe someone falls in love with it, and the more expensive it is the prettier it is, right?' But also plenty of antique dealers are willing to make a deal (think half or 2/3rds the list price) if something has sat around and isn't moving. 1stdibs is definitely those kind of prices. People may pay them, but plenty of people won't.

Replacements ltd is a bit different because their whole thing is having stuff in stock and ready to ship for people who don't want to troll ebay for a month to find that one plate they are missing from a set, and that obviously comes at a price.

Perusing local estate sales is a good way to get some idea of what the local going rate on stuff like that is. Estate sale people usually price stuff pretty fairly for their local market-they want to get the most they can for it but also want it to move. If you have a bunch of stuff and don't feel like pricing it/dealing with it yourself, finding a local estate sale company to handle it for you might be a good option. Often they are happy to include someone else's stuff to fill out a smaller sale, but obviously they do take a cut.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Chevy Slyme posted:

Every room more or less requires a rug because of building rules
Are you in a weird place where they’re going to do inspections?

Here (NYC) the standard rule is 80% of the floor must be covered with rugs. However, if you don’t make noise, nobody gives a gently caress. It’s just there so that if you have dogs or kids or a fondness for high heels, and the downstairs tenant is miserable, the landlord can make you cover the floors. But if you don’t, it’s totally fine (I’ve lived with 100% hardwood for 15+ years). Ymmv depending on where you are

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Anne Whateley posted:

Here (NYC) the standard rule is 80% of the floor must be covered with rugs. However, if you don’t make noise, nobody gives a gently caress. It’s just there so that if you have dogs or kids or a fondness for high heels, and the downstairs tenant is miserable, the landlord can make you cover the floors. But if you don’t, it’s totally fine (I’ve lived with 100% hardwood for 15+ years). Ymmv depending on where you are

Yeah property manager was very specific on them wanting to check it out after I move in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chevy Slyme posted:

I have signed a lease for my first place of my own since my days of dingy college pads full of Salvation Army furniture 20 years ago. (In the interim, I lived with family, and spent many years doing a job where I lived out of hotels). I have no idea what I’m doing, and need some help figuring out how to make rooms that look good.

What I have: I’m coming into a nice big 2 bedroom apartment with my bed, a dresser, a desk, a Kallax bookshelf, and three couches and two coffee tables that I’m liberating from my parents place because they don’t want to schlep them to Florida.

What I’ve done; I used Polycam to put together a floor plan of the new place with measurements and just kind of half assedly doodled some basic furniture placement on my iPad to get an idea of what fits and works.

What I need: I’m obviously gonna have to buy a bunch of furniture - specifically a dining set and some nightstands and another dresser probably - but most of that can wait, and I think I have an eye for what works with what mostly.

My more pressing need is rugs. Every room more or less requires a rug because of building rules and I just have no loving clue how to identify a rug that will really tie the room together or whatever and give me some flexibility for my future furniture shopping that needs to happen. I figure I probably need an 8x10 for both the living and bedroom, an 8x6 for the office, and some sort of square or maybe circular one for that weird foyer/hall/dining space adjacent to the kitchen, and some quantity of hallway runner type stuff.

But I have no clue what to look for in terms of colors or patterns that will work with my brown leather couches (the living room ones are a light blonde leather; the one in the office is a super dark brown), and, maybe more importantly, the huge white/pink/coral looking coffee table I’m inheriting that I love to death even if I have no clue how to make it work with anything else.

The walls are all gross “the building super slapped this on and he buys in bulk” beige tending towards pink (the only photo I have is of the cabinets but it does the job):

I’m trying not to spend too much on rugs - I know there’s tons of cheap ones to be had on Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair, and a half dozen other websites - but also I am just so overwhelmed by choices and have only a tiny babby understanding of interior design and color so please tell me what I should be thinking about and looking for.

Stay tuned for more exciting questions as I get lost in IKEA repeatedly or whatever.

You can get rugs for free or cheap on Craigslist. Including BIG rugs, like 10x12, including handmade rugs that have some value. Rugs are heavy and hard to move if you’re traveling light. Some people don’t realize their rugs have value or just don’t care.

Rugs you get from craigslist will invariably be filthy and come from a house with pets and smokers. But they will be free. So you can take them to a cleaner or buy a carpet cleaner for what you would save in buying new rugs.

Another thing to look at is that rugs can be an investment. You could go to a rug dealer and see what’s on consignment, pick up a few that you like, treat them carefully, and if you get tired of them, bring them back to sell.

Rugs from Walmart or Home Depot don’t retain or appreciate in value.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Anyone want to give a UK goon some advice on a hallway?

https://imgur.com/a/qjk0CuY

We've just repainted in this colour, it's a sort of reddish beige that looks better in real life. We're looking for some ideas for new flooring/light fixtures. We're thinking of some kind of wood-effect vinyl plank like the sample currently lying on the floor. Lighter stain? Darker stain?

For lighting though, I have no ideas. What looks good and could throw light up and down a hallway and around that corner effectively?

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Freaquency posted:

I think we’re going to need pictures of this huge white/pink/coral coffee table to properly assist

This is the end table (along with the couch that it’s going with); the coffee table is in storage, but it’s the same stone, at coffee table height, and is a 4-5 foot triangular type thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ooh, you didn't mention the carven legs! :nice:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

This is so weird to me. Making sure the downstairs neighbors aren't driven insane from walking around should be up to the landlord. Fix your creaky floors. My house is like 130 years old and you can't hear people upstairs unless they stomp around.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s not creaking they’re trying to cover, it’s impact from high heels or running kids, or scrabbling from dog toenails. My building is about 100 years old fwiw

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seconding the rug coverage requirements sound really weird, although I can believe that they exist over in the land of freedom :911:

Does anyone have a particular brand of anti scratch pads for wooden chair feet/wood floors? I keep buying the 3M ones from the hardware store and they always slip + any dust sticks to them. I don't think it helps that the feet aren't flat (never cheap out on dining chairs! these ones creak as well, entirely looks over construction quality).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

distortion park posted:

Seconding the rug coverage requirements sound really weird, although I can believe that they exist over in the land of freedom :911:

On the other hand, rooms without rugs usually look terrible

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chair socks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

peanut posted:

Chair socks.

I thought this was a joke but they're real. Looks perfect thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!