Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

Only if your monitor is on the whitelist. Otherwise it's a checkbox you gotta tick on the nvidia control panel.

"gsync compatible" means the monitor is on the whitelist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you’re on the whitelist

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

gsync compatible (and native gsync) should automatically turn themselves on, unless it's something disabled by default in the monitor OSD

I had to turn it on in the OSD for some reason. I guess I can start cranking settings up until I drop under 120 fps and see if it works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kazinsal posted:

I had to turn it on in the OSD for some reason. I guess I can start cranking settings up until I drop under 120 fps and see if it works.

It was probably a compatible monitor without the “gsync compatible” branding.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

if a game is potentially going to use up nearly all of the steam refund window just compiling shaders then it would be prudent to provide some way to do it without technically playing the game as far as steam is concerned

I really don't think having the player wait in the menu for pre-compilation is tenable as a long-term solution. It doesn't have to be this way. When you boot up the RE4 remake for the first time, you can immediately hit new game, and it just works. No waiting for pre-compilation, no shader comp stutter in the game, nothing. I'm not sure what it's doing, to be honest. I think there's some precompilation happening during the opening cutscene, but that can't be the entirety of the shaders dealt with, so maybe they mix some light pre-compilation with some smart predictive compilation during gameplay. Either way, I want more like that and less like TLOU.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's partially down to the workflow the developer uses - there doesn't have to be hundreds of thousands of unique shaders to churn though, that's just how some particularly egregious games have ended up for one reason or another.

idtech6/7 is the poster child for the opposite extreme, they have one meticulously crafted shader that's used for nearly every material in the game and IIRC they said they have about 300 shader pipelines total in the entire renderer. it compiles them all so fast during startup that they didn't even bother making a progress UI for it. that's only possible with very tight coordination between the art and tech sides of the studio though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
why do the shaders need to be compiled in the first place?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

because unlike CPUs where you can compile once for x86_64 and run that code on any AMD or Intel chip past or future, GPUs don't have a consistent ISA between manufacturers or even from generation to generation from the same manufacturer.

the solution is to bundle shaders with the game in a higher level form (some kind of bytecode) which the graphics driver then compiles for whatever hardware is installed.

consoles don't have this problem because they do have a consistent hardware target, so console games can and do come with shaders compiled all the way down to GCN/RDNA/Maxwell binaries already.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For the Gsync thing, I have a laptop panel, and I have an adapter on the way that converts the eDP to DP. All the laptops this panel is used on are official Gsync-compatible gaming laptops. Can I preemptively set my NVidia Profile to be like "no, gently caress you, I don't care what you think, use adaptive sync"? From what I understand this adapter passes the eDP along to the desktop without doing much; it doesn't have a Freesync On/Off button it it's own OSD.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

repiv posted:

because unlike CPUs where you can compile once for x86_64 and run that code on any AMD or Intel chip past or future, GPUs don't have a consistent ISA between manufacturers or even from generation to generation from the same manufacturer.

the solution is to bundle shaders with the game in a higher level form (some kind of bytecode) which the graphics driver then compiles for whatever hardware is installed.

consoles don't have this problem because they do have a consistent hardware target, so console games can and do come with shaders compiled all the way down to GCN/RDNA/Maxwell binaries already.

Or the steam deck can also just download the precompiled shader since every steam deck has the same config. That's why it was such a good elden ring machine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that also works although it's a bit of a hack, they rely on crowdsourcing shaders from users so the caches it downloads aren't guaranteed to be comprehensive (especially shortly after a game update)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

drat, that's brutal. Makes sense, but one would think you should at least be able to take code compiled for a 3090 and, say, use it on a 3060. Or is the nature of GPU design just that the scaled down dies have different instruction sets?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Completely ignorant question, but is there any way gpu manufacturers could address the issue in future gpus? Some kind of new standardization, or is that just not how this work?

E:kinda fb

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

drat, that's brutal. Makes sense, but one would think you should at least be able to take code compiled for a 3090 and, say, use it on a 3060. Or is the nature of GPU design just that the scaled down dies have different instruction sets?

on paper i think you could share shader binaries between closely related cards like that, in CUDA you can actually compile and distribute native GPU binaries and each binary targets a particular "compute capability" which covers a number of cards. for example all current ada cards are CC 8.9 and would run the same binary.

neither directx or vulkan support any means of loading native binaries though, there's no appetite for doing that in the gaming space. presumably because you'd have to compile a stupid number of variants to cover every architecture and even if you covered all of them at the time of shipping you can't cover architectures that haven't launched yet.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

repiv posted:

it's partially down to the workflow the developer uses - there doesn't have to be hundreds of thousands of unique shaders to churn though, that's just how some particularly egregious games have ended up for one reason or another.
a lot of the games that do that were originally designed for consoles with no plans for being ported to pc during development

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm a broke brained idiot loser baby and just bought a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX (a month after pulling the trigger on a $230 6600 XT for my brother) to replace my EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 model due to VRAM issues I've been encountering, most specifically with Resident Evil 4 Remake and trying to run the game at ultrawide 1440 resolution with textures that don't look like they're from the original GameCube game. Probably a dumb purchase, but alas here I am. Couple of questions that I should have asked before spending $1000 on a piece of computer hardware:

My case is a Cooler Master NR200P, so max card size is 330mm length and triple-slot height. The Sapphire Nitro+ is too big, so I opted for the Pulse, but it looks like the ASRock Phantom Gaming OC, which also fits in my case, is a better performing card. With both at $1000, should I have gone with the ASRock? I always thought Sapphire was kind of like the EVGA of the AMD-exclusive brands, so I just defaulted to them, but I don't really know where I got that idea or if it's even remotely accurate.

Secondly, I have an LG 34GP950G-B monitor with a dedicated G-Sync Ultimate module in it. I know that hardware G-Sync doesn't work with AMD GPUs, but I've read that the monitor supports regular VRR (aka bog-standard FreeSync), but I can't find anything about what the variable range on it would be. I really don't want to also have to replace my monitor, if the VRR window is some stupidly narrow range that ends up useless, since I've only had it for about 8 months at this point.

Please tell me how much of an idiot I am for replacing a good GPU that has questionable VRAM allocation with an arguably way overkill GPU for my gaming resolution without asking some pretty basic-rear end questions before hand.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Eh it's just money, if you like playing games and have the spare cash I wouldn't sweat it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm a broke brained idiot loser baby and just bought a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX (a month after pulling the trigger on a $230 6600 XT for my brother) to replace my EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 model due to VRAM issues I've been encountering, most specifically with Resident Evil 4 Remake and trying to run the game at ultrawide 1440 resolution with textures that don't look like they're from the original GameCube game. Probably a dumb purchase, but alas here I am. Couple of questions that I should have asked before spending $1000 on a piece of computer hardware:

My case is a Cooler Master NR200P, so max card size is 330mm length and triple-slot height. The Sapphire Nitro+ is too big, so I opted for the Pulse, but it looks like the ASRock Phantom Gaming OC, which also fits in my case, is a better performing card. With both at $1000, should I have gone with the ASRock? I always thought Sapphire was kind of like the EVGA of the AMD-exclusive brands, so I just defaulted to them, but I don't really know where I got that idea or if it's even remotely accurate.

Secondly, I have an LG 34GP950G-B monitor with a dedicated G-Sync Ultimate module in it. I know that hardware G-Sync doesn't work with AMD GPUs, but I've read that the monitor supports regular VRR (aka bog-standard FreeSync), but I can't find anything about what the variable range on it would be. I really don't want to also have to replace my monitor, if the VRR window is some stupidly narrow range that ends up useless, since I've only had it for about 8 months at this point.

Please tell me how much of an idiot I am for replacing a good GPU that has questionable VRAM allocation with an arguably way overkill GPU for my gaming resolution without asking some pretty basic-rear end questions before hand.

I really would not expect more than a percentage point of performance difference between different AIB models of any given GPU, including the 7900 XTX. And according to rtings, the 34GP950G supports freesync over DisplayPort but not HDMI, so make sure you use DP. The refresh window should work just fine all the way up to 180hz, though I don't know if you get low-framerate compensation (sub-60hz vrr) with freesync. I don't expect that you'll be under 60fps very often with an XTX though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The driver should be able to enable LFC with that monitor no matter if it explicitly supports it for Freesync or not, the range is definitely wide enough with a 180Hz max refresh rate (I believe AMD requries a 2.4x range for LFC).

There are some minor technical differences in how GSync does LFC, the physical module monitors have a buffer on them that holds the frame and repeats it whereas Freesync does LFC on the video card side (by re-sending the same frame), but the real world performance difference is not noticeable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Curious how some games avoid the micro stuttering. Re4make supposedly runs on dx12 and I didn't notice it doing a precompile on pc. Maybe it does it, but hides the process? Its fully smooth without a single hitch in either case.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mindblast posted:

Curious how some games avoid the micro stuttering. Re4make supposedly runs on dx12 and I didn't notice it doing a precompile on pc. Maybe it does it, but hides the process? Its fully smooth without a single hitch in either case.

With no evidence I'm gonna blame this on Unreal Engine. Specifically Cliffy B.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ouch

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1640895315422351360

obviously you can just turn down the texture settings, though i don't know how that diminishes the visual presentation in this game

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
They are very, very forthcoming about the vram constraints immediately upon opening the settings. I don't know if that makes it more ok, or if that makes it a mistake they knew they were making, or something in between. It honestly comes off more like some kind of warning to the player upon starting the title, which is an interesting philosophical choice.

I guess we also have to put this game on the short list of titles that are capable of CPU limiting a 4090 at 4K in various circumstances. I don't consider a 5800X to be an old processor by any means.

It's definitely worrisome... hopefully this is a port issue and not some kind of foreshadowing of games to come.

As an aside, I kinda wish the game would compile shaders during the installation, instead of when you start the title itself to play. There is a strange conflict there that doesn't need to exist. When I am installing the game, if a text box said "hey spend 30 minutes compiling shaders for X reasons, or don't, but please do" I'm going to press OK and then go make a coffee or eat a sandwich or something.

When I start a new day 1 game, choose my settings, and get ready to play and am then prompted to compile shaders, that's a blueball right there. It's directly in conflict with the hype that is being cultivated by the developer when you get to the splash screen of a new title. If PS5 crossovers are going to demand compilation, that should really occur in the install itself imo. This is admittedly a "game feel" request that doesn't change the realities of what you're doing, but it would feel so much better than "oh hey you just started this awesome game! Hope you can now gently caress off for a really long time for extremely poorly explained and presented reasons!

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 29, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

on paper i think you could share shader binaries between closely related cards like that, in CUDA you can actually compile and distribute native GPU binaries and each binary targets a particular "compute capability" which covers a number of cards. for example all current ada cards are CC 8.9 and would run the same binary.

neither directx or vulkan support any means of loading native binaries though, there's no appetite for doing that in the gaming space. presumably because you'd have to compile a stupid number of variants to cover every architecture and even if you covered all of them at the time of shipping you can't cover architectures that haven't launched yet.

I've written shaders for a few OpenGL toy apps so it was small enough to not be worth thinking more about. Is there no mechanism to pre-compile them on first startup, and then only if the GPU is replaced? Seems like that would solve the problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I've written shaders for a few OpenGL toy apps so it was small enough to not be worth thinking more about. Is there no mechanism to pre-compile them on first startup, and then only if the GPU is replaced? Seems like that would solve the problem.

Yes, there is, and that's what we're complaining about because the process can take over an hour with TLOU's PC port.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, there is, and that's what we're complaining about because the process can take over an hour with TLOU's PC port.

lol someone in the steam deck thread said it was going to be 3 hours and the battery died before it finished. ( They are writing a tech article on the port)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo my bad. I thought the complain was still about the stuttering caused by on the fly shader compilation. Lmao.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The ideal approach is likely a hybrid approach that mixes some pre-compilation with predictive background compilation during gameplay, which is what I believe Horizon Zero Dawn does after it was patched. Having the player pre-compile every single shader in the game before they can even start is just ridiculous. It's better than letting the game be a stutter fest during gameplay, but the developers should really be expected to do better if the pre-compilation step is going to take so long.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

another problem is that building a game with millions of shaders can negatively affect performance even after compilation, including on consoles, so there's more reason to move away from that workflow than just making PC ports less annoying.

as i understand it AMD architectures can only have draw calls for up to 7 different PSOs in flight simultaneously, so if the engine does many small draws with different shaders it can bottleneck there. that's one of the reasons why idtech aimed to use as few shaders as possible.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BurritoJustice posted:

There are some minor technical differences in how GSync does LFC, the physical module monitors have a buffer on them that holds the frame and repeats it whereas Freesync does LFC on the video card side (by re-sending the same frame), but the real world performance difference is not noticeable.

does nvidia even ship the module anymore, i thought it was all g(free)sync now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they do still make it, but the cheaper alternatives have mostly caught up so you only really find the gsync module in bleeding edge monitors now

for example the alienware OLED was only available with a gsync module for like 6 months until an appropriate freesync controller became available

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

wargames posted:

does nvidia even ship the module anymore, i thought it was all g(free)sync now.

Monitors labeled as “G-Sync Ultimate” still have modules in them. When they started supporting software VRR as “G-Sync Compatible” they rebranded the version using hardware modules. It has led to more than a little confusion at times.

On the topic of TLOU PC: maybe I’m approaching it from the wrong perspective or just don’t quite understand things correctly, but it seems quite bizarre to me that a PS5 with an APU roughly equivalent to a Ryzen 3600 and a 6600 XT is able to run the game at 4K without choking to death even at 30fps, but a PC with a top shelf CPU and GPU, with vastly higher performance specs, are struggling to run the game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The ideal approach is likely a hybrid approach that mixes some pre-compilation with predictive background compilation during gameplay, which is what I believe Horizon Zero Dawn does after it was patched. Having the player pre-compile every single shader in the game before they can even start is just ridiculous. It's better than letting the game be a stutter fest during gameplay, but the developers should really be expected to do better if the pre-compilation step is going to take so long.

To my naive brain, it seems like it would make sense to pre-compile the shaders for things that are likely to spawn in during action scenes. So, character models, common props, and terrain. Not sure how much of the game's total shader count that would be, though.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
well if it were a good port then mid-to-high-end systems wouldn't be struggling to run the game, yeah

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Monitors labeled as “G-Sync Ultimate” still have modules in them. When they started supporting software VRR as “G-Sync Compatible” they rebranded the version using hardware modules. It has led to more than a little confusion at times.

On the topic of TLOU PC: maybe I’m approaching it from the wrong perspective or just don’t quite understand things correctly, but it seems quite bizarre to me that a PS5 with an APU roughly equivalent to a Ryzen 3600 and a 6600 XT is able to run the game at 4K without choking to death even at 30fps, but a PC with a top shelf CPU and GPU, with vastly higher performance specs, are struggling to run the game.

How much more powerful do you think high-end PCs are? The 3090 is generally "only" 2.2 times as performant as the 6600 XT at native 4K (less so at lower resolutions). And the PC port's ultra settings are a bit heavier than the console settings, so that should roughly account for the GPU performance we're seeing.

CPU performance is also not really "vastly" higher with the PC CPUs most users have. The goon who was reporting a CPU bottleneck here at 4K had a 4090 and a Zen 3 CPU, which will only be so much faster than the PS5's Zen 2 CPU. If the PS5 game was designed to apply a heavy load on the CPU with the 60fps mode enabled, then I can see a Zen 3 CPU struggling to do better than 80fps, especially when considering the heavier-than-console settings.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

How much more powerful do you think high-end PCs are? The 3090 is generally "only" 2.2 times as performant as the 6600 XT at native 4K (less so at lower resolutions). And the PC port's ultra settings are a bit heavier than the console settings, so that should roughly account for the GPU performance we're seeing.

CPU performance is also not really "vastly" higher with the PC CPUs most users have. The goon who was reporting a CPU bottleneck here at 4K had a 4090 and a Zen 3 CPU, which will only be so much faster than the PS5's Zen 2 CPU. If the PS5 game was designed to apply a heavy load on the CPU with the 60fps mode enabled, then I can see a Zen 3 CPU struggling to do better than 80fps, especially when considering the heavier-than-console settings.

This is what I get for conflating floating point operations with actual graphical performance for some reason, and using TechPowerUp’s “relative performance scale” to translate to every use case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The consoles are actually shockingly powerful this generation. Consoles have historically shipped with some heavy compromises in order to get their costs down, but when the PS5 and XSX shipped in 2020, they were about as powerful as an upper-midrange PC at the time. That's probably going to spell bad news for people with lower-end hardware once more next-gen exclusive games ship and get ported to PC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
PS5 ports seems to have some significant overhead though. Maybe it's trying to replicate some of the SSD streaming, maybe it's just taking some time to learn the best ways to port over, I dunno. But Returnal and TLOU both seem like they suck up way more resource that you'd think looking at the game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The consoles are actually shockingly powerful this generation. Consoles have historically shipped with some heavy compromises in order to get their costs down, but when the PS5 and XSX shipped in 2020, they were about as powerful as an upper-midrange PC at the time. That's probably going to spell bad news for people with lower-end hardware once more next-gen exclusive games ship and get ported to PC.

Once this generation fully settles in and we start seeing console games target only the new platforms at 30fps, things are going to get really interesting.

Even top-end PC CPUs are not twice as fast as console CPUs, so we could easily see games unable to hit 60fps from a CPU perspective. Only top-end GPUs are twice as fast as console GPUs, and PC gamers are less likely to accept a floating dynamic resolution and prefer to render at native res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Even top-end PC CPUs are not twice as fast as console CPUs, so we could easily see games unable to hit 60fps from a CPU perspective.

how much faster is a 13th-gen i9 compared to a Ryzen 3600?