Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

an app like signal can be audited and considered perfectly secure but by running it on an iphone full of other software with potential remote exploits, or something like a baseband modem with a backdoor and direct memory access then an attacker like an international commercial spyware engineering company like nso group only needs to find the weakest link in the stack to gain access. cyber security works better if you assume you can’t trust most of the stack.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/03/the-pegasus-project-how-amnesty-tech-uncovered-the-spyware-scandal-new-video/

https://citizenlab.ca/2022/01/project-torogoz-extensive-hacking-media-civil-society-el-salvador-pegasus-spyware/

or you can just lean on someone and get them to take some screenshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

drk posted:

or you can just lean on someone and get them to take some screenshots

yeah tbh the instant i saw my boss instruct me to use message-destruction services because we are about to, quote, "do some hella illegal poo poo so dont want the feds *fakes gagging noise* to bring down the entirety of our criminal enterprise" id be taking screenshots left and right

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

FDIC tells Signature’s crypto clients: be your own bank

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1640879042428653571

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DominoKitten posted:

drat. Trying to bribe a bank employee (who was actually a fed) was how the FBI awarded my penny ante ponzi father a stay at Club Fed for a little under a year.

If a fed goes undercover as a bank employee and you try to bribe them, can you be charged with bribing a fed or only a private citizen?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

A question I cannot answer. The Feds took the easy route and nailed him for lying to him when they started putting the screws to him, and he took it “for the good of the family” even though he swore up and down he’d done nothing wrong. It’s true that fighting it just would have made everything worse for everyone, though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
:patriot:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ellie the beep posted:

yeah tbh the instant i saw my boss instruct me to use message-destruction services because we are about to, quote, "do some hella illegal poo poo so dont want the feds *fakes gagging noise* to bring down the entirety of our criminal enterprise" id be taking screenshots left and right

Snapchat somehow can tell when someone takes a screenshot, can Signal do that?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IUG posted:

Snapchat somehow can tell when someone takes a screenshot, can Signal do that?

Does snapchat just check if a screenshot is taken by the os screenshot feature though? I feel getting around that should be pretty trivial. Hell does it check if you just decided to take a video capture of your entire desktop as it's trivial to take an individual screen shot from that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or just use a camera

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but thats what a tech illiterate boomer would do.

a infosec catch 22.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

One of my friends works in cyber and once when we were talking she told me "Nothing is unbreakable. Nothing."

It wouldn't surprise me if US Intel cracked these encrypted messaging apps long ago

It's dependent on if you wanna be a math nerd about it. You can technically have perfect cryptographic secrecy, but you won't, because perfect secrecy is hilariously difficult to implement and exponentially less worthwhile than secrecy which is infeasible to break; even if computational power to break P-521 theoretically existed, it's not meaningfully relevant to almost anyone. Generally, if the NSA is willing to dedicate all their resources to figuring out what exactly you sent over some messaging app, you are 100% hosed regardless.

And as we've seen time and time again with Bitcoin, the best and most modern cryptographic security protocols are completely loving worthless if the people using them are stupid

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Modern cryptography is unbreakable for the time being. Pending some really exotic math that solves the cipher in a new exotic way, we're reaching the size of numbers of probabilities that means you're just as likely to walk into a miniature black hole.

But everything starts and ends as something a human can read and your knee caps or phone OS are breakable. Weakest link and all.

To say nothing of the jokes about cryptography only being failed, not failing or the warnings against rolling your own cryptography solution.

We could maybe get past the human failure and human readability issues if we could train a large language model to be a perfect scam machine and stick it in a black box and be like "dunno where all this money came from, the AI is smart I guess."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blade Runner posted:

And as we've seen time and time again with Bitcoin, the best and most modern cryptographic security protocols are completely loving worthless if the people using them are stupid

"A steel door in a cardboard frame."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how Burn Notice and other dumb shows break the lock instead of trying to beat the lock.

or as the above post says, break the wall around the safe. or in the case of a floor safe, use the expensive titanium golf clubs to break the floor around the floor safe. (oh and then drop the safe from the 2nd floor to break it open , then frame the conman and trick the police into arresting him )

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Signal is extremely good and up to life or death journalism standards. But a sufficient subpoena can get you a phone backup.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

but before all that non sense the government just buys all the advertising data pertaining to you which contains stuff they would need a judge to sign off first to find out

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

divabot posted:

Signal is extremely good and up to life or death journalism standards. But a sufficient subpoena can get you a phone backup.
:wrong:

Signal isn’t secure if the device memory can be hacked silently, exposing the unencrypted plain text of the messages. Both iOS and Android flagship devices have been exposed from vulnerabilities in 0-click remote exploits.

Amnesty International posted:

The Pegasus attacks detailed in this report and accompanying appendices are from 2014 up to as recently as July 2021. These also include so-called “zero-click” attacks which do not require any interaction from the target. Zero-click attacks have been observed since May 2018 and continue until now. Most recently, a successful “zero-click” attack has been observed exploiting multiple zero-days to attack a fully patched iPhone 12 running iOS 14.6 in July 2021.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/research/2020/06/moroccan-journalist-targeted-with-network-injection-attacks-using-nso-groups-tools/

Amnesty International posted:

Evidence gathered through our technical analysis of Omar Radi’s iPhone revealed traces of the same “network injection” attacks we described in our earlier report that were used against Maati Monjib. This provides strong evidence linking these attacks to NSO Group’s tools.

Amnesty International’s Security Lab performed a forensic analysis of Omar Radi’s phone and found traces suggesting he was subjected to the same network injection attacks we first observed against Maati Monjib and described in our earlier report.
Network Injection, rogue cell towers and NSO
The lack of transparency around the surveillance industry makes it difficult to know what tools are being used, sold, purchased and abused, and therefore for victims and watchdogs to seek accountability. Despite this, our research so far has shed light on how NSO’s technologies have evolved. Until early 2018, NSO Group’s customers were found primarily using SMS and WhatsApp messages in order to trick targets into opening a malicious link, which would result in exploitation and infection of their mobile devices. As we documented in our October 2019 report, Amnesty International first observed attackers adopting new techniques to more stealthily and effectively deliver the malware. Using what we describe as “network injections”, attackers are now capable of installing the spyware without requiring any interaction by the target.
Whereas previous techniques relied to some extent on tricking the user into taking an action, network injections allow for the automatic and invisible redirection of targets’ browsers and apps to malicious sites under the attackers’ control, most likely unknown to the victim. These will rapidly leverage software vulnerabilities in order to compromise and infect the device.

This is only possible where attackers are able to monitor and manipulate the Internet traffic of the target. In both Omar and Maati’s cases all injections happened while using their LTE/4G mobile connection.
This type of attack is possible using two techniques: deploying a device commonly referred to as a “rogue cell tower”, “IMSI Catcher” or “stingray”, or by leveraging access to the mobile operator’s internal infrastructure. It is currently unclear which of these two options have been used against Omar and Maati.
However, NSO Group’s network injection capabilities were briefly described in a document named “Pegasus – Product Description” – apparently written by NSO Group – that was found in the 2015 leak of the competing Italian spyware vendor, Hacking Team. Specifically, in January 2020, Business Insider reported about mobile interception technology NSO Group exhibited during Milipol, an event and trade show on homeland security held in Paris in November 2019.

The picture displays what appears to be a model of rogue cell tower sold by NSO Group – a tool which could be used in one of the two above-identified techniques to bring about a network injection attack.
These devices act as portable base stations and impersonate legitimate cellular towers in order to trick phones in the vicinity to connect to them and enable the attacker to manipulate the intercepted mobile traffic. The rogue cell tower in the picture seems to be composed of different cards stacked horizontally, likely to allow the operators to intercept over multiple frequency bands for GSM, 3G, 4G networks etc. Just as NSO Group simulated for their exhibition booth at Milipol, this electronic equipment can be quite small in size and easily transported and hidden on small vehicles.
Alternatively, attackers can similarly intercept and hijack mobile Internet traffic of targeted smartphones if they can leverage access to the victim’s mobile operator. In this case, instead of placing a rogue cell tower in the vicinities of the target, attackers would rely on the existing network infrastructure of the mobile operator in use by the target.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Pegasus is nation-state stuff, and at that point you're already hosed. Signal remains the absolute best available.

(I spent some time talking to the people dealing with the El Salvador deployment of Pegasus and especially in regards to Signal, so I have some slight idea about how this works in practice and not just in long slabs of copypasta. Burner phones are relatively expensive in El Salvador, but not unusably so. Given how the mainstream centrist political parties in El Salvador started as fascist death squads versus communist guerrillas, they have some knowledge of using pretty-good tools effectively.)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

https://youtu.be/31D94QOo2gY

is a super cool talk that goes into detail about the kind of silent direct access sim cards have

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also the classic trick of there being more than two people involved and you just pay one of them to tell you what's going on.

AKA "social engineering" because no way can something as effective as spying not be an engineering discipline.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Also the classic trick of there being more than two people involved and you just pay one of them to tell you what's going on.

AKA "social engineering" because no way can something as effective as spying not be an engineering discipline.

I know somebody who became a "cyber-security consultant" more or less entirely on the strength of winning exactly one of those Defcon social engineering contests, aka "call Payroll and imply that you're a big deal at the company, see if they'll give you their password". No prior experience in cyber security. Now she's on national TV from time to time to talk about it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Literally everyone at FTX flipped on SBF in exchange for a promise to consider it when sentencing them for their many, many crimes

Someone taking pics of the #binance-crimes groupchat seems far, far more likely than some cloak and dagger poo poo, or using nation-state level hacking to hack CZ's phone

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blade Runner posted:

It's dependent on if you wanna be a math nerd about it. You can technically have perfect cryptographic secrecy, but you won't, because perfect secrecy is hilariously difficult to implement and exponentially less worthwhile than secrecy which is infeasible to break; even if computational power to break P-521 theoretically existed, it's not meaningfully relevant to almost anyone. Generally, if the NSA is willing to dedicate all their resources to figuring out what exactly you sent over some messaging app, you are 100% hosed regardless.

I'm reminded of an article that was floating around in here or the Epstein thread, about how there's two types of threats. Threat type A is everyone who is not Mossad. In that group you can marshall your resources appropriately to the perceived threat. Threat type B is Mossad. You are hosed, there is no point in hiding.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was an article from the early oughts I think.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

drk posted:

Literally everyone at FTX flipped on SBF in exchange for a promise to consider it when sentencing them for their many, many crimes

Someone taking pics of the #binance-crimes groupchat seems far, far more likely than some cloak and dagger poo poo, or using nation-state level hacking to hack CZ's phone

You know who shared secret chats with CZ?

SBF

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boxturret posted:

You know who shared secret chats with CZ?

SBF

That would be the greatest turn of events, and he does like talking about crimes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

drk posted:

That would be the greatest turn of events, and he does like talking about crimes

no I think he literally posted screenshots from the secret chat room all the big exchange ceos have where they discuss how to control the economy

this was right when cz did the move and started the chain reaction that caused FTX to implode

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

DickParasite posted:

I'm reminded of an article that was floating around in here or the Epstein thread, about how there's two types of threats. Threat type A is everyone who is not Mossad. In that group you can marshall your resources appropriately to the perceived threat. Threat type B is Mossad. You are hosed, there is no point in hiding.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was an article from the early oughts I think.
Yeah, if the apartheid state is sending its death squads after you you're probably boned, or a member of the press.

Turns out that little things like international law make life harder for other countries unless you really hosed up.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

How about you chill out and understand that "mossad" was a generic term for powerful modern spy agency instead of making this an -ism thing?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Boxturret posted:

no I think he literally posted screenshots from the secret chat room all the big exchange ceos have where they discuss how to control the economy

this was right when cz did the move and started the chain reaction that caused FTX to implode

back when I was in the ugly crypto circles there were absolutely people in telegram groups who blatantly talked market manipulation all day. They would even spread the word before they would move the market. Guess where most of them lived? Tax havens/Dubai.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
For the curious, this is the article I was referring to.

quote:

My point is that security people need to get their priorities straight. The “threat model” section of a security paper resembles the script for a telenovela that was written by a paranoid schizophrenic: there are elaborate narratives and grand conspiracy theories, and there are heroes and villains with fantastic (yet oddly constrained) powers that necessitate a grinding battle of emotional and technical attrition. In the real world, threat models are much simpler (see Figure 1). Basically, you’re either dealing with Mossad or not-Mossad. If your adversary is not-Mossad, then you’ll probably be fine if you pick a good password and don’t respond to emails from ChEaPestPAiNPi11s@virus-basket.biz.ru. If your adversary is the Mossad, YOU’RE GONNA DIE AND THERE’S NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. The Mossad is not intimidated by the fact that you employ https://. If the Mossad wants your data, they’re going to use a drone to replace your cellphone with a piece of uranium that’s shaped like a cellphone, and when you die of tumors filled with tumors, they’re going to hold a press conference and say “It wasn’t us” as they wear t-shirts that say “IT WAS DEFINITELY US,” and then they’re going to buy all of your stuff at your estate sale so that they can directly look at the photos of your vacation instead of reading your insipid emails about them. In summary, [url]https://[/url] and two dollars will get you a bus ticket to nowhere. Also, SANTA CLAUS ISN’T REAL. When it rains, it pours.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Oh look, new crypto conspiracies! https://twitter.com/WhaleChart/status/1641012938679959555

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
100+ nations all in agreement to flush the world's economy down the toilet

purely coincidentally, this means that your best move, financially, is to hold this bag for me

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oh look, new crypto conspiracies!

1. lol
2. the majority of US treasury debt is held domestically, not by nefarious foreigners (and the biggest foreign holder is Japan, who we've been cool with since 1945 or so)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So it's gone up 75% in the last month. Seems normal.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
If all these countries sell treasuries at the same time, wouldn't their price crash (=the countries selling lose loads of money, bad news for these countries), meaning the US could just buy them back for cents on the dollar, wiping out its external debt (=no more interest payments, great news for the US)?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sentient Data posted:

How about you chill out and understand that "mossad" was a generic term for powerful modern spy agency instead of making this an -ism thing?

"Mossad" is a reference to "Mossad", the brutally effective Israeli intelligence and counter-terrorism organization.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

who would they sell them to?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who would they sell them to?

George Soros, duh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

istewart posted:

George Soros, duh

Soro's has all his money in USD, why would he want it to collapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DickParasite posted:

For the curious, this is the article I was referring to.

jfc, that article could've been reduced to about 3 paragraphs if that dude learned how to write a concise sentence and figured out that no one thinks he's funny