Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Also apparently at least one brand of British dessert gelatin comes not as a powder, but as a dense block of concentrated gelatin that you reconstitute with boiling water before pouring into molds and chilling??

All kids just eat the jelly cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MrYenko posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten snook. The couple I’ve caught, I released.
It's great and can be cooked every which way, kind of similar to mahi or some snappers. The hard part is getting your hands on some legitimately. It's illegal to fish commercially, sell, use anything besides a hand line to catch, and there's a restricted season with a tight size window and bag limit of one. FWC also delights in trying to bust people for fishing violations. I've seen boats pulled over, surf fishermen getting their catches measured right on the beach, etc.

Also - thread relevant - if you gently caress up and don't remove the skin, it tastes like soap.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hirayuki posted:

Speaking of British favo(u)rites, I crossed into Canada this past weekend in part to stop at the British shop, where I picked up a few unusual snacks:

Chocolate with cheesy onion potato crisp pieces in. Haven't tried this yet. My family recoiled at the thought, but I figured, poo poo, it's the last one in the box, so it can't be all that bad. Plus perennial thread favorite Parma Violets (the GIANT variety).

This was apparently a Christmas thing, but I don't give a poo poo. Pigs in blankets sounds like a fine flavor for potato chips.

Also apparently at least one brand of British dessert gelatin comes not as a powder, but as a dense block of concentrated gelatin that you reconstitute with boiling water before pouring into molds and chilling?? This is bizarre to my raised-with-Jell-O rear end, so I picked one up (black currant flavor, yesss).

Yeah, that's Northern Irish Tayto.
Couple of tips on making up that jelly, and yes pretty much all jellies in Britain and Ireland come like that;
1. Cut it up into cubes, it makes getting it all dissolved a lot faster.
2. If the directions say something like "pour 500ml boiling water", it's handier to add 250ml boiling, get it all dissolved, then add another 250ml of cold - it'll set a lot faster.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey kid, have a carrot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlPcTGbgXUE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This one makes me angry every time, because it sounds like an ugly but kickass sausage idea. But why beef though :barf:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hanker for a hunk of cheese!

(I always wondered who in the hell would ask anyone to "make me a banana". You don't "make" a banana wtffff)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Data Graham posted:

I hanker for a hunk of cheese!

(I always wondered who in the hell would ask anyone to "make me a banana". You don't "make" a banana wtffff)

Maybe YOU don't

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pookah posted:

Couple of tips on making up that jelly, and yes pretty much all jellies in Britain and Ireland come like that;
1. Cut it up into cubes, it makes getting it all dissolved a lot faster.
2. If the directions say something like "pour 500ml boiling water", it's handier to add 250ml boiling, get it all dissolved, then add another 250ml of cold - it'll set a lot faster.
Thanks! I intend to whip it up once we have room in the fridge to hold a bunch of individual servings.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/ch1w33th3d0g/status/1640774999241023488

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like a regular old grilled cheese made with kraft american cheese :shobon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll tell people it's fake cheese all day long but put a nicely grilled Kraft singles sandwich in front of me and turn 360 in one spot and it'll have disappeared

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They aren't wrong, for a certain meaning of incredible

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

They aren't wrong, for a certain meaning of incredible

Well now I'm grumpy that someone showed up with this level of pedantry before I could, so thanks a lot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ketchup-puri

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

it's just a regular meal of egg in weiners.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Toad in the Vulva

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

This reminds me of when I was a kid and found a dead turtle that got trapped in a kiddie pool and when we lifted the lid all the maggots came out

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I’m not cookist, but…

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Dixville posted:

This reminds me of when I was a kid and found a dead turtle that got trapped in a kiddie pool and when we lifted the lid all the maggots came out

I read this like 5 times before realising that by 'lid' you’re (probably) referring to the pool covering, not the dead turtle's shell.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Dixville posted:

lmao that spoiler text

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"IF I can use kale for plant-based Philly cheese steak wraps..."

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
paprika flavoured chips would be nice, probably dont need the guarana though

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dixville posted:

oh god that is the worst thing anyone has ever posted in this thread.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

it starts with "plant-based Philly Cheese steak wraps" and somehow goes so far downhill from there that it drives off a cliff

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Non Compos Mentis posted:

paprika flavoured chips would be nice, probably dont need the guarana though

Original paprika flavor packet of potato chips
Givin you palpitations and a motherfuckin eye twitch

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is disturbing as it's quite likely that some kid will down these with an energy drink and caffeine overdose deaths are not unheard of.
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/a-real-life-death-by-caffeine

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Data Graham posted:

I'll tell people it's fake cheese all day long but put a nicely grilled Kraft singles sandwich in front of me and turn 360 in one spot and it'll have disappeared

I unofficially swore off American cheese for a while after gaining an appreciation for other stuff; however, I've rediscovered that deli American cheese is still pretty fantastic sometimes.

I realize this neatly functions as a microcosm of stereotypical hipsterism in general, but that doesn't mean it ain't true

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Mar 29, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dixville posted:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Eh, looks just a touch overdone, so not too bad, but what is with the single bead of water resting on top?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CzarChasm posted:

Eh, looks just a touch overdone, so not too bad, but what is with the single bead of water resting on top?

He was drooling while taking the picture.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love my grilled cheese to be close to borderline crispy on top too. Almost charred.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's really the only way to go. i might give that one a scrape with a knife but you do need to get it pretty dark.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

it's really the only way to go. i might give that one a scrape with a knife but you do need to get it pretty dark.

I'm not into this new X-Files reboot

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

*starts eating bag of chips and starts sweating*

Wow! This anime is really intense !

* has severe panic attack and can't sleep for 10 hours *

I can't believe they don't think grabbing boobs is a legitimate reason to live

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CzarChasm posted:

I think that's a tiny hole in the bread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

It's nervous. You would be too, if someone was taking your picture immediately before eating you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Isn't there this whole thing about how Maillard reaction on food gives you cancer or Morgellons or something