Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think even Castro credited Kennedy with a turn towards detente after being scared by the missile crisis, kinda sad that the only good thing (however belated) he did got him shot by some gusanos trying to force the issue. OTOH first term LBJ is the best president this country has ever had outside of Lincoln, so hey thanks for taking the bullet for us lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
JFK basically didn't have a particularly good hand of cards during the Cuban crisis, but he went all in on the poker table. Kind of spooked the deep state guys looking over his shoulder and had more of the stack in the chips. He was lucky the Russians didn't have a good hand either and folded.

Do I think future US presidents will go the cowboy thing and gamble again? Yes I think there is a good chance.

By the way Khrushchev was a decent person but a bad poker player.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Mar 28, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

eSports Chaebol posted:

get out of here with this liberal bullshit. he was a drugged out rapist who put up a blockade of Cuba and almost started a nuclear war over a Soviet response to American escalation just because he didnt want to look like a pussy. he gets credit for the fact that the Soviet leadership was more sane and willing to lose face to avoid a nuclear holocaust than he was. the fact his generals were worse isnt an excuse. he was a dove as much as Nixon was a red

i thought kennedy was an anti impeiralist 😂

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

I think even Castro credited Kennedy with a turn towards detente after being scared by the missile crisis, kinda sad that the only good thing (however belated) he did got him shot by some gusanos trying to force the issue. OTOH first term LBJ is the best president this country has ever had outside of Lincoln, so hey thanks for taking the bullet for us lol

you dont have to pick a "best" or even good president

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

India to push for expansion of rupee-based trade — official

quote:

India will push for expansion of global trade denominated in its national currency, the rupee, Commerce Secretary of the Indian Ministry of Commerce and Industry Sunil Barthwal said.

"Definitely, we would like to see that rupee trade also happens, particularly [with] those countries which are facing issues," the official said, as quoted by The Economic Times newspaper.

In 2022, India signed agreements with 18 countries for transitioning trade settlements to the respective national currencies. Among such countries are the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and several African nations. It was reported earlier than Russian banks had opened about a dozen accounts in the Indian currency with Indian banks for the purpose of making trade payments in rupees.

India's moving toward bilateral trade without the USD as well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

By the way Khrushchev was a decent person

:prepop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Fwiw I don't doubt the US is going to lash out as it's empire declines and a multipolar world fully solidifies but there won't be a grand clash with China. Crises in capitalism won't manifest in those grand all-enncompassing wars anymore, at least I hope
https://files.catbox.moe/vn4cj3.webm

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So does dedollarization in these ways increase inflation in the US/make the money printer work less well?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The money printing is already less effective in 2023. Both Japan and China sold alot of US bonds this year. In the 09 financial crisis, the US was able to talk China into kept buying the US bonds and China went ahead with her own infrastructure building project. China upgraded the entire country to HSR to keep the world economic engine running.

This time around Xi didn't do any of that stuff to help out the US. Janet Yellen and Raimando keep making noise of wanting to come to China to talk economic cooperation, Chinese side just responded, don't ask to talk for the sake of talking. Funny thing Biden appointed another person in his trade team, the TRADE REPRESENTATIVE Katherine Tai, she is the only one didn't say she want to go to China. Looks like the Biden trade team is not on the same page. Why even appoint a Chinese America to start with?

Also to test US's willingness to talk China asked US reconsider cancel the section 301 tariff. It's not even that big of a deal in current Sino-US trade relationship. Beijing just want to test how much US side is willing to deal. And it turns out the US can't even budge on section 301. The trade team doesn't have any pre-approval from Biden they can deal.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

The money printing is already less effective in 2023. Both Japan and China sold alot of US bonds this year. In the 09 financial crisis, the US was able to talk China into kept buying the US bonds and China went ahead with her own infrastructure building project. China upgraded the entire country to HSR to keep the world economic engine running.

This time around Xi didn't do any of that stuff to help out the US. Janet Yellen and Raimando keep making noise of wanting to come to China to talk economic cooperation, Chinese side just responded, don't ask to talk for the sake of talking. Funny thing Biden appointed another person in his trade team, the TRADE REPRESENTATIVE Katherine Tai, she is the only one didn't say she want to go to China. Looks like the Biden trade team is not on the same page. Why even appoint a Chinese America to start with?

Also to test US's willingness to talk China asked US reconsider cancel the section 301 tariff. It's not even that big of a deal in current Sino-US trade relationship. Beijing just want to test how much US side is willing to deal. And it turns out the US can't even budge on section 301. The trade team doesn't have any pre-approval from Biden they can deal.

Expecting the appointment to have secret knowledge or race memory that will enable them to get a better deal of out of the chinese.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/sehof/status/1640843151815352320

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OhFunny posted:

India to push for expansion of rupee-based trade — official

India's moving toward bilateral trade without the USD as well.

bison-yes.gif

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/hkfp/status/1640842454726242306

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's really simple and there's one objective ranking:

#1: lincoln (flawed but decent)
#2: (44-way tie): all the rest (pure evil, "redeeming" qualities irrelevant)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So they're going to rapidly industrialize their neighbors to combat the global downturn caused by the US?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lincoln wasn't president he was a dictator

and a drat good one at that

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What about FDR

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

What about FDR

also a good dictator yes.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

no good presidents tho, sorry, democracy works on paper not in practice

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1640680966237880321

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

get out of here with this liberal bullshit. he was a drugged out rapist who put up a blockade of Cuba and almost started a nuclear war over a Soviet response to American escalation just because he didnt want to look like a pussy. he gets credit for the fact that the Soviet leadership was more sane and willing to lose face to avoid a nuclear holocaust than he was. the fact his generals were worse isnt an excuse. he was a dove as much as Nixon was a red

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
A revisionist communist leader will always be ten times better than any American president, except Donald Trump

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you don't organize all your knowledge into tier lists then I don't understand you

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

i dunno, harrison apparently had enough decency to die of shame real quick after assuming the devil's throne

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RobbieBarnett/status/1640363189970821127

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

JFK was a good enough president that the CIA needed to get rid of him.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

this is so depressing and disheartening, why hasn't bhutan started a bloody war claiming tens of thousands of lives over this meaningless land that no one lives in??

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All the people QTing apparently know Bhutan's borders better than the Bhutanese.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if anyone only knows bhutan as the closed-off state that doesn't like tourists, in the last year or two they've allowed google maps and there's a wealth of streetview poo poo to see. i find the area fascinating and picked through some really awesome stuff

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Post some for the lazy among us

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress you (maybe, i'll get on it)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i had nothing saved so here's a quick survey:

lowlands but enough to see storms form as they slam against the himilayas, wild guess is between 300m and 1000m

streetview

three switchbacks higher, still tropical

streetview

temperate, no conifers. restaurants are common if you check. 1500m?
streetview

minimum 2000m, pine-time
streetview

end of the line

there are sparse photos posted of anything near the chinese border but you'll be able to see the rapid change in environment immediately
highland valley

himilayas

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Mar 29, 2023

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
you guys are so lazy a minute of googling and I found a bunch of cool Bhutan google streetview stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i'm so mad

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

eSports Chaebol posted:

:wrong:

the only good president was william henry harrison, who died less than a month into his term thus making his administration by default the least harmful to everyone's general wellbeing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

:wrong:

the only good president was william henry harrison, who died less than a month into his term thus making his administration by default the least harmful to everyone's general wellbeing

just the flu, bro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i admire john tyler for being the only politician of the era perceptive enough to realize there was a good chance a sixty eight year old man obsessed with machismo would die in a really stupid way with lots of time left in his term

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

just the flu, bro

He literally did a two hour speech in the rain without a jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in more on topic observations i just learned that the super mario brothers movie got a favorable chinese release date right before a major festival and very slightly ahead of the worldwide one

im convinced now more than ever that the blackout of hollywood films in china was caused by the major studios being cocky assholes and bob iger had to be dragged back in as disney ceo in part to fix the mess because he very stupidly assumed that everyone else wouldnt immediately start antagonizing china the minute he left the room