Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah I don't really understand why you would attempt the largest river crossing since world War loving 2 when you have some decent tank country in the north aswell as open ground in the center. I mean they'd have to cross like 125KM of terrain to get to the main Russian supply hub for the entire occupation . melitopol.

What Ukraine really needs is a clobbering blow that breaks the back of the Russian army. We got to understand the supplies are an issue ammo's an issue artillery is an issue however they are still fighting against ukraine. Now they may be fighting at 5% manpower or 5% combat effectiveness but they are still fighting. That's what needs to be suppressed. Now while they're doing all this fighting under duress it doesn't mean that they're not going to stand against the ukrainians counteroffensives. They're going to fight. The back needs to be broken as effectively as possible and completely shatter cohesiveness across the front.. at this point I think 3 km of gained across the entire front would send bigger shock waves than a 50 km gain in a single direction unless that direction happens to cut the North and South off and basically put donetsk under an L shaped crossed siege.

But all in all I really don't understand what a river crossing at the Dniper would do, I mean yes it's a pretty grandiose military achievement which takes a hell of a lot of time to do but it really isn't going to shift the tide as immediately as a grab for melitopol or sivoerdonetsk would.

There have been some reports that Russia's presence south of Kherson city is quite light. If Ukraine gets a presence there (however unlikely), it would require Russia to shift its troops from somewhere else on the front, which might leave gaps elsewhere. In theory you could interdict supplies through Perekop, but that seems unlikely unless they basically push all the way to Crimea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah I don't really understand why you would attempt the largest river crossing since world War loving 2 when you have some decent tank country in the north aswell as open ground in the center. I mean they'd have to cross like 125KM of terrain to get to the main Russian supply hub for the entire occupation . melitopol.

What Ukraine really needs is a clobbering blow that breaks the back of the Russian army. We got to understand the supplies are an issue ammo's an issue artillery is an issue however they are still fighting against ukraine. Now they may be fighting at 5% manpower or 5% combat effectiveness but they are still fighting. That's what needs to be suppressed. Now while they're doing all this fighting under duress it doesn't mean that they're not going to stand against the ukrainians counteroffensives. They're going to fight. The back needs to be broken as effectively as possible and completely shatter cohesiveness across the front.. at this point I think 3 km of gained across the entire front would send bigger shock waves than a 50 km gain in a single direction unless that direction happens to cut the North and South off and basically put donetsk under an L shaped crossed siege.

But all in all I really don't understand what a river crossing at the Dniper would do, I mean yes it's a pretty grandiose military achievement which takes a hell of a lot of time to do but it really isn't going to shift the tide as immediately as a grab for melitopol or sivoerdonetsk would.

All this sounds like a load of bullshit. You're pulling numbers out of your rear end to sound smart or something.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

My tactical advice would be to run all those new tanks at full speed down the thin spit of land running from Henichesek to Semysotka along the sea of Azov. Just race them full speed for the 73 miles distance to a soundtrack of Chuck berry music. then hang a sharp right when you get there and pinch the Crimean invaders off like a terd. Then bring in whatever you've got an excess of ammo of that has a 45 mile range and have a team building contest lobbing ordinance at the Kerch bridge.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
defense uh uh defense uh uh

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1640829005782810624
SecDef Austin weighing in on Ukraine's chances. Things seem like they're on track.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i would prefer american leadership to say that an offensive right now would be dumb as gently caress, or rather behind-the-scenes leak words to that effect. give some sound reasoning too, whether applicable or not it doesnt matter

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
maybe i should not reveal such a brilliant strategy in the open like this, what have i done

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Crossing the Dniper would break the Russian defence and unhinge all their defensive lines to be useless and outflanked.

Saying there’s good tank country elsewhere is what the French army thought in 1940- there was but it was all a feint to draw the defenders away. And I can’t think the Russians defending the river are very deep or good troops- why put your best defence somewhere the enemy is not going to go?

Also its the best place the Ukrainian air support can probably be used and the worst one for Russian air- being further away from any of the Russian air bases and the ones in Crimea easy to hit.

I guess we’ll find out by next month or so? When’s the mud going to be gone by?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Comstar posted:

Crossing the Dniper would break the Russian defence and unhinge all their defensive lines to be useless and outflanked.

Saying there’s good tank country elsewhere is what the French army thought in 1940- there was but it was all a feint to draw the defenders away. And I can’t think the Russians defending the river are very deep or good troops- why put your best defence somewhere the enemy is not going to go?

Also its the best place the Ukrainian air support can probably be used and the worst one for Russian air- being further away from any of the Russian air bases and the ones in Crimea easy to hit.

It may take at least another month, maybe two, if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Comstar posted:

I could see it as a second front once the main one got going in Zaporizhzhia. The Russians pull troops out of Kherson to reinforce the front, and the Ukrainians use it as an opportunity to cross. It would put a major strain on Russian logistics and communication, a couple of already-established weak points.

I'm not a military strategist, though. The Ukrainians have shown themselves to be quite savvy in that regard, so we'll see what happens.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i would prefer american leadership to say that an offensive right now would be dumb as gently caress, or rather behind-the-scenes leak words to that effect. give some sound reasoning too, whether applicable or not it doesnt matter

It's pointless to try to pretend like you're not going to attack when you are, your enemy will always be able to see you move troops and equipment. The trick is attacking somewhere they don't expect, so they commit troops and equipment to the wrong spot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ukraine should leak like 10 different counteroffensive plans to the Russians, even if Ukraine isn't in a good position to follow through on any of them, just to keep the Russians guessing on where to fortify and/or make the (armchair) generals poo poo themselves from suspense

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Ukraine should leak like 10 different counteroffensive plans to the Russians, even if Ukraine isn't in a good position to follow through on any of them, just to keep the Russians guessing on where to fortify and/or make the (armchair) generals poo poo themselves from suspense

They kind of did this with the two pronged Kharkiv and Kherson counteroffensive. The primary attack was going to be whichever one was having the most success and it ended up being Kharkiv.

The French National Assembly recognize the Holodomor as the genocide it was:

https://twitter.com/AssembleeNat/status/1640768553950347285?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Funny coincidence that the only two no votes turned out to be from the communist party.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone else who ever lived around Richmond have your mind blown by seeing the word "Ukrops" in a non-grocery context for the first time ever in that Tweet about the pelvic thrusting general

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1640841908254588934
These people are loving insane, holy poo poo.
:nws: warning for misogyny

N/m, I'm just stupid.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Melitopol airfield (?) got hit.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1640912824066007041

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1640426102043623451
Mick Ryan with a thread on the upcoming Ukrainian offensive.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Simcity 2000 "YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON [TRAFFIC] FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!" guy but for russian OSHA

zone
Dec 6, 2016

tiaz posted:

Simcity 2000 "YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON [TRAFFIC] FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!" guy but for russian OSHA

That loose lips sink ships poster would be more appropriate, given that Opsec is almost nonexistent among Russian soldiers or commanders, but I got the joke.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

tiaz posted:

Getting a little big brained over in Russia
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1640642948101468160?t=ljRMaV7ecfOb11ikbJzA6Q&s=19

Maps:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1640805070009782304?t=GBKSaUyMkCpY0qzDxAP-dg&s=19https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1640805072249540612?t=ci4hw_bSkugRMKWoQVvWQA&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

In honor of the Ukrainian love of soup

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LRADIKAL posted:

All this sounds like a load of bullshit. You're pulling numbers out of your rear end to sound smart or something.

Melitopol is roughly 125KM from kherson side of the Dniper Ukraine made 50KM ish gains in the opening salvo of the Kharkiv counter attack. So I used that metric as my example of possible gains.

A 3KM push over the 1000KM front would mean that half of Russia's current operable defensive works are on enemy hands. Roughly.

Can you specifically quote what you find is a load of bullshit? Because I can't really gauge Russian manpower or combat effectiveness in percentages so yeah those are clearly fiction. Just using 5% as an non specific example of how bad that combat effectiveness is on the Russian side.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1640941605627604992
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1640941608748064768
Let's hope this refusal spreads further and deeper.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Melitopol is roughly 125KM from kherson side of the Dniper Ukraine made 50KM ish gains in the opening salvo of the Kharkiv counter attack. So I used that metric as my example of possible gains.

A 3KM push over the 1000KM front would mean that half of Russia's current operable defensive works are on enemy hands. Roughly.

Can you specifically quote what you find is a load of bullshit? Because I can't really gauge Russian manpower or combat effectiveness in percentages so yeah those are clearly fiction. Just using 5% as an non specific example of how bad that combat effectiveness is on the Russian side.

All of it is pretty specious speculation. A 3km push on the whole front? Come on. Just admit that all these numbers are made up.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1640973053885575168
I doubt he's gonna show, but points for trying Big Z

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Xi is big on "negotiating and peace" so maybe it would make him lose face if he didn't meet with one of the parties in the war?

Also highly doubt it but it seems like a smart move to invite him.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You might have seen the latest attempt at faking ukrainian "warcrimes". This time it was so poorly produced and easily debunked that this happened:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1640920702407639042

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Xi might wanna stop the slow motion genocide he’s doing in his own country before ever starting to talk about being an arbiter and pathways to peace with Russia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Zapiski Veterana (the idiots involved in producing the fake for "infowars") posted a confession on their telegram channel to that effect.

Also, Rob Lee posted a telegram assessment by fighterbomber detailing that heavy losses to the Russian helo fleet have cut into the CAS that can be provided to boots on the ground. Problems with intelligence gathering make it difficult to target Ukrainian defensive assets as well.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1640720028621238273
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1640723920192929802

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Xi might wanna stop the slow motion genocide he’s doing in his own country before ever starting to talk about being an arbiter and pathways to peace with Russia

How dare you ignore sovereignity and getting involved in China's internal matters? Besides it's not genocide it's reeducation. And even more besides what about blacks in America, huh?

(Yes I am being sarcastic)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Leo 2s have been spotted in Ukraine!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1640967749080952834
Latest British intelligence update. Personnel shortages due to prisoner release have begun hampering operations by the Wanker SS in Bakhmut.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Leo 2s have been spotted in Ukraine!

Germany uses Lemonade Stand font? The one with the lowercase d and backwards 'S'?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Germany uses Lemonade Stand font? The one with the lowercase d and backwards 'S'?

It is the Kings english. That is to say, inbred and brain dead

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1640932111908499457

Lmao what a child

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This hateful woman had better count her days of freedom.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zone posted:

This hateful woman had better count her days of freedom.

Wouldn't she be safe as long as she stays in Russia? As much as I'd like Lady Haw-Haw to end up like Lord Haw-Haw, that might not be possible, at least for the short-term.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
so are the nukes in Belarus yet? Looking forward to a Cuban missile crisis type of summer vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rad-daddio posted:

so are the nukes in Belarus yet? Looking forward to a Cuban missile crisis type of summer vibe.

It doesn't change anything. The nukes they are moving into Belarus were more than capable of reaching targets across the EU even when they were not in Belarus.

Its just more posturing and furthering of Russia's goal to turn Belarus into a Russian territory.