Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I dunno. Wyrmwood is a low-volume business with an inherently Online customer base. The fact that their YouTube channel was such good marketing for them is a good sign for how much this will hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Kinda interested to see how big their presence at Gencon might be this year, they usually have a huge booth area.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Don't know that I've ever seen an HR person light their company on fire in an article that way before. Bizarre.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

admanb posted:

I dunno. Wyrmwood is a low-volume business with an inherently Online customer base. The fact that their YouTube channel was such good marketing for them is a good sign for how much this will hurt them.

Dude's apparently halfway into the full quiver movement, he'll just pivot the whole thing hard to the right wing money stream and be fine. Next video will be about the woke agenda to cancel a small business run by a Christian.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Really don't want to disrupt the current Wyrmwood discussion, because it is absolutely more important to TG as an Industry (and TG as a whole). But I really don't know where else to put this;

Just saying, I don't know what to do about this, and I think I'd maybe like to get off this ride, thank you

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AJA posted:

Really don't want to disrupt the current Wyrmwood discussion, because it is absolutely more important to TG as an Industry (and TG as a whole). But I really don't know where else to put this;

Just saying, I don't know what to do about this, and I think I'd maybe like to get off this ride, thank you

Who are the two people who are not Vince Vaughn?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

AJA posted:

I don't get it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Who are the two people who are not Vince Vaughn?

tom morello and ???

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ed Greenwood

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bottom Liner posted:

tom morello and ???

Ohhhh ok

wha?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
For more context, Ed Greenwood ran a game with Vince Vaughn and Tom Morello in it at Garycon, the convention held in Lake Geneva yearly that those white nationalists at nuTSR were trying to sabotage last year.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

For more context, Ed Greenwood ran a game with Vince Vaughn and Tom Morello in it at Garycon, the convention held in Lake Geneva yearly that those white nationalists at nuTSR were trying to sabotage last year.

Thank you, fellow goon "Nuns with Guns", for summing up (and also Terrible Opinion and Bottom Liner!). Just absolutely astounded about where we've gotten to a place where Tom Morello and Ed Greenwood can sit down and play TG. Just mind-blowing to both '80s and '90s me.

Oh, and Vince Vaughn is there, too.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
He was the best part of True Detective season 2 and was great in swingers :colbert:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Ominous Jazz posted:

He was the best part of True Detective season 2 and was great in swingers :colbert:

I would totally support Vaughn as Eric the Cavalier in a live-action DND Cartoon remake, but that's as far as I'm willing to go :hai:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Given their politics I'm a little surprised Tom Morello and Vince Vaughn can stand to be at the same table for any reason. But then, it is showbusiness.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

AJA posted:

Wow, Saruman's really been letting himself go

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Given their politics I'm a little surprised Tom Morello and Vince Vaughn can stand to be at the same table for any reason. But then, it is showbusiness.

I think they're both in Joe Manganiello's weekly group as players.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 29, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Whybird posted:

Wow, Saruman's really been letting himself go

Lol. I was also 'Who's that? Well the guy on the Right kinda looks like Vince Vaughn, but it can't be, unless he's really gone to seed'.

Sorry Vince.

Edit: drat. Ed Greenwood is only 63.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 29, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ominous Jazz posted:

I liked Dodgeball but comedies don't usually age well and it probably didn't.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

AJA posted:

The ttrpg version of the Trent Reznor / Robin Williams /John Carmack pic

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Megazver posted:

I think they're both in Joe Manganiello's weekly group as players.

Speaking of Joe, he's heading up a Dragonlance TV show.

https://www.cbr.com/dnd-joe-manganiello-dragonlance-adaptation/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He's been trying for years. The movie being successful should raise their odds.

If it's actually greenlit, hope he doesn't get Cavill'ed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Dude's apparently halfway into the full quiver movement, he'll just pivot the whole thing hard to the right wing money stream and be fine. Next video will be about the woke agenda to cancel a small business run by a Christian.
Don't need to hire employees when you just grow your own!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lamuella posted:

Speaking of Joe, he's heading up a Dragonlance TV show.

https://www.cbr.com/dnd-joe-manganiello-dragonlance-adaptation/
There's a lot of D&D-adjacent stuff that I have 0 interest in playing but would enjoy watching on TV, usually for the same reasons. Dragonlance falls firmly in this category, as would most FR setting stuff. So colour me excited!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AJA posted:

Wait, does Greenwood's shirt say "Ed Greenwood"?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kibner posted:

Wait, does Greenwood's shirt say "Ed Greenwood"?

My "Ed Greenwood" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

https://twitter.com/ChrisSSims/status/1641061231694848000

Is it just me, or is this not incredibly disingenuous? Chris Sims worked on 3e and 4e, so he was even working at the company when they stopped all PDF sales between 2009-2013. Is it really possible that he thinks BECMI clones came around just to avoid giving Wizards of the Coast money?

Seems like a bad idea to follow up the OGL Fiasco with "people just play OSR games to not pay us!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's not wrong about the quality of a lot of those games. But it would only take him a few minutes to verify that yes, early retroclones were made when older editions just weren't available.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

He's not wrong about the quality of a lot of those games. But it would only take him a few minutes to verify that yes, early retroclones were made when older editions just weren't available.

“The quality”? What?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sims said that many OSR games are "copies of old Basic or Advanced D&D with few improvements." This is accurate. I'm making the claim that such games are of low quality, and not worth reading or playing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Sims said that many OSR games are "copies of old Basic or Advanced D&D with few improvements." This is accurate. I'm making the claim that such games are of low quality, and not worth reading or playing.

No, it’s not accurate and you’re completely wrong. Go ahead, document what games you think are copies of old editions of D&D with few improvements if you’re making this assertion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

This is tossing grenades, there's plenty of OSR fans here on SA who you are basically attacking here

Arivia posted:

No, it’s not accurate and you’re completely wrong. Go ahead, document what games you think are copies of old editions of D&D with few improvements if you’re making this assertion.

case in point

Halloween Jack, feel free to not plant a flag on this hill and then proceed to try and die on it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There are a subset of OSR rulesets that are explicitly designed to be retroclones with no (or minimal) other changes but at this point they're half of the rules sets at most (and I'd bet far less if I actually went and did math.) And those retroclone sets were explicitly created to allow gamers and designers to use those rules when WotC wasn't distributing them legally for a huge part of the last 20-odd years.

It's ridiculous to attack the OSR as only being those, especially when retroclones exist for very good reasons.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
shut upppppppppppppppppppp

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

your mom is a retroclone

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Sure is great to see someone keep banging their drum after the mods asked the other party to drop it, real conducive to conversation here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Andrast posted:

your mom is a retroclone
And highly derivative.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tsilkani posted:

Sure is great to see someone keep banging their drum after the mods asked the other party to drop it, real conducive to conversation here.

Regardless of what Halloween Jack said, it's an important part of responding to Chris Sims' assertion in the tweet, aka what we're talking about overall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's fine, it's OK, hey everyone let's talk about some path that has not been so heavily tread!

Hey! Since the D&D movie looks to have been pretty successful, is this the industry's Iron Man I? Marvel finally got a good superhero movie made and it opened the floodgates. A good D&D movie that has box office success should lead to more... or, unlike how Marvel Studios had been created to keep production in-house and thereby have more control (random other studios inevitably killed prior superhero films by endless re-writes, finding d-tier directors, never spending on top actors, etc. and Marvel did... not that, and it worked), was this a fluke and we're going to see garbage movies in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

It's really not important, and Chris Sims is right.

EDIT: crossposted, whoops