Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Saw a large pipe with a smaller pipe sticking out it by the side of the road today and it made me think of Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
how in the hell do some people still not understand that Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is satire?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A lot of people don't understand satire in general.

See: all of the people who freak out at onion articles all the time

edit: ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaahah

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/02/congressman-falls-months-old-onion-story-about-planned-parenthood-abortionplex/332189/

quote:

Congressman Falls for The Onion's Planned Parenthood 'Abortionplex' Story
Meet John Fleming, the unfortunate Republican U.S. Representative from Louisiana who made that wonderful and all-too-common mistake of thinking that an Onion article was real and telling his Facebook followers to read it.

edit 2: If you're unaware of the article.... you'd have to be completely insane/stupid to believe it

https://www.theonion.com/planned-parenthood-opens-8-billion-abortionplex-1819572640

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 29, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
satire died a long time ago, this is just the logical conclusion of a predictable arc.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

tango alpha delta posted:

how in the hell do some people still not understand that Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is satire?

Because its form is one of action film, which are pretty much fascist propaganda.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

^^basically echoing you

Verhoeven is a goddamn genius, it totally works as a solid action movie if ur dumn

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

^^basically echoing you

Verhoeven is a goddamn genius, it totally works as a solid action movie if ur dumn

"would you like to know more?"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Because its form is one of action film, which are pretty much fascist propaganda.

Aliens would be called extremely subversive by today's standards, a movie which was basically James Cameron at the very top of his A game.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I said this in another thread, but I can forgive people who saw it when it came out but haven't seen it since. The satire was made astoundingly obvious after the US response to 9/11, but people who saw it in 97 just saw a dumb awesome action movie with boobies and aliens.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Found on Instagram this morning…

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I'm just bitter that I walked into the theatre expecting a movie that was true to the book.

WHERE'S MY drat POWER ARMOR AND MINI NUKES?????

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm just bitter that I walked into the theatre expecting a movie that was true to the book.

WHERE'S MY drat POWER ARMOR AND MINI NUKES?????

They had mini nukes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfrXCbV4RoA&t=69s

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

That's crazy good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rules

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Forget FWAAA
Get GWAAA

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

After watching both Prometheus and covenant and dealing with covid since 2020, I have to change my mind about the unforgivable stupidity these future human show when it comes to wearing a helmet on an alien planet.

I’ve whined about this before and I’ll whine about it again.

The only reason people think the characters are stupid for not wearing helmets is because WE know they are in an alien movie.

No one makes this statement about any other space movie. People say they are stupid because they aren’t prepared for something they don’t know exists.

Also it was shown all the way back in the first movie that wearing a space helmet won't save you from a facehugger.

Extra row of tits fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 30, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Extra row of tits posted:

The only reason people think the characters are stupid for not wearing helmets is because WE know they are in an alien movie.

No one makes this statement about any other space movie. People say they are stupid because they aren’t prepared for something they don’t know exists.

It's only not stupid in the Alien movies because it was shown all the way back in the first movie that wearing a space helmet won't save you from a facehugger

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I wonder what Jean Claude Van Damme is thinking of.

I bet it's aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bet it's aliens.

NECA made a Predator figure that used that design as his armor/mask, it’s super rad.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/130006

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Jean Claude Van Damme is in a constant state of readiness. He doesn't even sit down like a normal person. Watch TimeCop to see what I mean; he's not really sitting in that chair at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

NECA made a Predator figure that used that design as his armor/mask, it’s super rad.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/130006

We need a Predator RPG from the Alien RPG people just to see how Andrew Gaska is able to work in this other species of interplanetary hunters that beats their prey with gracedul kickboxibg moves into the setting

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

We need a Predator RPG from the Alien RPG people just to see how Andrew Gaska is able to work in this other species of interplanetary hunters that beats their prey with gracedul kickboxibg moves into the setting

I asked him about a Predator RPG and he said there isn’t one. I don’t know if that means it’ll never happen, he doesn’t want to do it, or what. He did write the Predator “lore Bible” for Fox and curated that stuff up until the Disney buyout though.

Also the Alpha Predator figure packaging has a lore blurb explaining him - short version is that the Yautja were once oppressed by some other race called the Amengi (the “original” Van Damne design) and the Alpha Predator led the first uprising where he learned how to hunt them, and as a sign of his prowess he wore their skin as his armor. :black101:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's only not stupid in the Alien movies because it was shown all the way back in the first movie that wearing a space helmet won't save you from a facehugger
Prometheus and Covenant are Alien movies, right?

"Hey, my kajigger says it's air! Imma take off my helmet!"
"Uh, you sure about that? There might be airborne pathogens, toxins, microbes, spores, any number of potentially deadly thi-"
[Clunk thunk] "Yeehaw, AAAAIIIRRRRRR!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Extra row of tits posted:

If someone walks off falling 10 stories without injury in an action movie, we accept that because action movie genre suspension of disbelief. Similarly in a comedy it's a comedy so lol > reality. Put the same scene in a period drama or a biography and it's not acceptable, because there's no genre convention to counter that it's nonsense.

The default assumption is not wearing a helmet is stupid. Kirk gets away with not wearing a helmet because he is in a Star Trek episode, not because he is /not/ in an Alien movie.

Or in other words it's not:
code:
Characters remove helmets
             |
             V
      [Horror film?]
        |        |
       Yes      No
        |        |
        V        V
     Dumbass  Coolguy
It's:
code:
Characters remove helmets
             |
             V
[Genre excuse to go eh fuckit?]
        |        |
       Yes      No
        |        |
        V        V
     Coolguy  Dumbass
The problem is, not much non-horror scifi doesn't fall into the "Eh fuckit" genre

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 30, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone pointed out that, after how we saw people behave when COVID hit, the idea that someone might be so cavalier in removing their helmet and breathing alien air isn't all that far-fetched anymore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone pointed out that, after how we saw people behave when COVID hit, the idea that someone might be so cavalier in removing their helmet and breathing alien air isn't all that far-fetched anymore.
Yes, but they were also stupid. That's what we're saying. The characters in Prometheus are incompetent buffoons. When the characters in Alien died I was sad. I knew it was going to happen but I still wanted them to escape, because they were relatable characters doing their best in a situation they were completely unprepared for. When the characters in Prometheus died I pointed and laughed at the clowns doing pratfalls.

e: ERoT is specifically complaining about how people say the characters are stupid. Drawing comparisons to real-life stupid people is not exactly supporting his argument!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 30, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Yes, but they were also stupid. That's what we're saying. The characters in Prometheus are incompetent buffoons. When the characters in Alien died I was sad. I knew it was going to happen but I still wanted them to escape, because they were relatable characters doing their best in a situation they were completely unprepared for. When the characters in Prometheus died I pointed and laughed at the clowns doing pratfalls.

e: ERoT is specifically complaining about how people say the characters are stupid. Drawing comparisons to real-life stupid people is not exactly supporting his argument!

What’s funny is the book The Weyland Yutani Report lampshades this by explaining that when recruiting for the Prometheus mission, Vickers went out of her way to get the dumbest, least-competent motherfuckers she could find to try and indirectly sabotage her father’s mission.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Xenomrph posted:

I asked him about a Predator RPG and he said there isn’t one. I don’t know if that means it’ll never happen, he doesn’t want to do it, or what. He did write the Predator “lore Bible” for Fox and curated that stuff up until the Disney buyout though.

Gaska has also said that Ridley Scott hates the AvP movies so as long as he's attached to Alien projects the AvP movies aren't canon.
Ridley is 85 now so presumably as soon as he pops his clogs the Disney execs will weld the two franchises together again with a big Jurassic World/Force Awakens style soft reboot to harvest as much fanboy cash as they can while gen-x still lives.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

What’s funny is the book The Weyland Yutani Report lampshades this by explaining that when recruiting for the Prometheus mission, Vickers went out of her way to get the dumbest, least-competent motherfuckers she could find to try and indirectly sabotage her father’s mission.
That begs the question of why did she get on the ship?

I think if then being handpicked incompetents had been a meaningful part of the film I'd have enjoyed it more. It would have reframed them as patsies set up to fail. Follow one character being hired, Vickers tells them they'll be the least experienced person on the team but everyone else is top of their field, there's plenty of skills overlap, and their unique energy more than makes up for their lack of real world experience. How could they turn it down?

Then there's a bunch of... dubious... decisions made by the captain but why would they speak up? The other experts just nodded along and they're basically an intern so they nod along too.

Then there's the slow group realisation that half the team got the same speech and also thought the captain's orders were stupid and also didn't speak up because they also thought they were the intern. Give them each a "Thirty eight... simulated." scene, but more sympathetic.

So they go to confront the captain, who says "Well you guys are the experts why didn't you contradict me? My unique energy can only compensate so much for my why are you all looking at me like that. Also where the hell is Vickers?"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

That begs the question of why did she get on the ship?

I think if that had been in the film I'd have enjoyed it more. It would have reframed them to patsies that were set up to fail. Give them each a "Thirty eight... simulated." scene, but more sympathetic. Follow one character being hired, Vickers tells them they'll be the least experienced person on the team but everyone else is top of their field, there's plenty of skills overlap, and their unique energy more than makes up for their lack of real world experience. How could they turn it down?

Then there's a bunch of... dubious... decisions made by the captain but why would they speak up? The other experts just nodded along and they're basically an intern so they nod along too.

Then there's the slow group realisation that half the team got the same speech and also thought the captain's orders were stupid and also didn't speak up because they also thought they were the intern.

So they go to confront the captain, who says "Well you guys are the experts why didn't you contradict me? My unique energy can only compensate so much for my why are you all looking at me like that. Also where the hell is Vickers?"

I agree, I think it would have been brilliant if it was outright text.

I think the logic of "why did she want to get on the ship" could be she wanted to see her father fail first-hand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hillary 2024 posted:

Gaska has also said that Ridley Scott hates the AvP movies so as long as he's attached to Alien projects the AvP movies aren't canon.
Ridley is 85 now so presumably as soon as he pops his clogs the Disney execs will weld the two franchises together again with a big Jurassic World/Force Awakens style soft reboot to harvest as much fanboy cash as they can while gen-x still lives.
I misread this and started thinking about xenoraptors

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Social media's been noting that I've been thinking about Aliens lately & this popped up on my FB feed:

Bolaji Badejo next to his costume.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

Yeah, but

never mind.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

I bet it's aliens.

Where is that from?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Where is that from?

JCVD was originally cast to play the Predator, but left (or got fired from - I can't remember which) the film. The titular creature got a significant redesign, and that lad who played the sasquatch from Harry and the Hendersons landed the role, and the rest is history.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m stuck wondering how different Star Wars would’ve been if Yaphet Kotto had been cast as Lando, instead of Billy Dee.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

edogawa rando posted:

and that lad who played the sasquatch from Harry and the Hendersons landed the role,
Now that's a trailer mashup I want to see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Where is that from?

edogawa rando posted:

JCVD was originally cast to play the Predator, but left (or got fired from - I can't remember which) the film. The titular creature got a significant redesign, and that lad who played the sasquatch from Harry and the Hendersons landed the role, and the rest is history.

This has some of the test footage and some stills from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GfUoB0kog

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Latest targeted ad I saw on Instagram:

Alien Xenomorph 9.5 Inch Zippermouth Plush.
Yup, my phone is definitely eavesdropping on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

Fun fact: the helicopter pilot at the end of the movie is played by Kevin Peter Hall (the guy who played the Predator).