Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Bated" is still around in the word "abate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh wow, it turns out "with bated breath" means "while holding breath". "Bated" being derived from "abated", as in "stopped".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/with_bated_breath#English

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh wow, it turns out "with bated breath" means "while holding breath". "Bated" being derived from "abated", as in "stopped".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/with_bated_breath#English

Right, which is why you would say “don’t wait with bated breath” so that your suitor doesn’t die.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Lincoln posted:

Two big dials, one for power and one for time.

This should have never stopped being the norm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ishikabibble posted:

I think the repeat performance thing was more something from the radio days. By the time national TV broadcasts were widespread you had stuff like Kinescopes and Telecines which were literally 'a 35mm movie camera pointed at a CRT' and 'a broadcast camera pointed at a projection screen' respectively.
That's how a lot of old TV shows survived. The early seasons of I Love Lucy were all recorded this way, before they started just shooting on film directly.

The artefacts it left were mostly just lower quality from being a lower resolution copy. Afaik kinescopes were still filmed at the normal NTSC/PAL framerates and not 24 FPS like with cinema stuff, so you didn't get weird errors like 2-3 pulldown.

There were business concerns besides quality.

It still hosed with stuff like the brightness curve in ways that were only sort of manageable with the electronics and film stock of the time.

Fake edit: here’s is one of Wikipedia’s sources for the “hot kinescope” section of the kinescope article, which I will embed here in full because the original website is gone, and the Something Awful forums may well outlive the Internet Archive.

The context for the specific details are that this involves preservation NBC’s Producers’ Showcase, which aired from 1954 to 1957.

quote:

Technical Considerations

The programs were preserved on kinescopes, made by NBC from a "kinescope tube" which showed the signal being broadcast over the air, as opposed to other forms which photographed a television screen showing the signal as received, including possible atmospheric interference. Because of the extremely low sensitivity of Technicolor film in use at the time -- an ASA of about 3 -- lighting which would have been bright enough to expose color film,resulted in an unviewable picture. Accordingly, 16mm black and white kinescopes were made of color programs until late in 1956, when technical advances made it possible to make color kinescopes. The first color kinescope was made of a Producer's Showcase program, "THE LORD DON'T PLAY FAVORITES," on September 17, 1956. Despite this, however, it appeared at first glance that the materials turned over to us by NBC are all in black and white -- a puzzle, given the enormous production budgets available.
The great bulk of the materials which we have on hand, are the original 16mm composite kinescope negatives, although there is a sprinkling of 35mm materials, mag tracks, prints, and primitive videotapes as well. As a result of several tests, a procedure was developed to generate digital video masters which meet current broadcast and home video standards: (a) New composite 16mm prints are made from the kinescope negatives. In most cases, because the original printing (timing)instructions are not accurate for current technology, it is necessary to make both a first answer print (to adjust the timing) and a second print. (c) Even though very few prints were made from the original negatives, it is best that the new prints are made with the "wet-gate" process, to eliminate scratches. (d) After the print is made, it is transferred to digital format on a Rank "Turbo" film-to-tape machine. (e) A technician supervises the transfer, as scene-to-scene light level correction is required to counteract the "flares" and "dark spots" inherent in the original vacuum tube television cameras. (f) The digital tape is then run through specialized computer programs; our laboratory, Audio + Video, uses a second-generation Da Vinci computer enhancement system. The Da Vinci system permits significant improvement in both picture quality (removal of any surface scratches, spots, tears, grain,black halos, sharpening of focus, etc.) and sound quality (removal of all static, hisses, pops, etc.); as part of the sound transfer process, stereo soundtracks can easily be created. The end result is a digital master in any format desired, that meets current broadcast and video standards.

Color and Colorization

As indicated above, although the programs were all broadcast in color, most of the kinescope materials we have are black and white. It appears that at least some of them may, however, actually be in color: In the early years of television, the networks affiliates were not hard-wired together (and, of course, satellite broadcasting and the Internet were far in the future); the only way for an early-evening live broadcast in New York to be seen in farther-west time zones at a time approximating the early evening, would be to make a kinescope negative of the live broadcast, use it to create prints, and then rush the prints to the other time zones, where they could be projected on a screen which would then be photographed by a television camera. Once the technical problem of making a Technicolor kinescope negative was solved, a new problem arose -- it took too long for the laboratory to make Technicolor prints. However, in theory, there was a way to shorten the time considerably, through use of another color process, "Lenticular Color." The process, developed in France around the turn of the century, involved embossing tiny lenses on the back of the negative stock; on projection, the image could be separated by the lenses into the three primary colors, which in turn would be projected onto a screen to yield a full-color picture. The advantage was that considerable time was saved in the printing process, making it theoretically possible to move color prints to the other time zones quickly enough to have each program seen in the same general time slot. NBC worked with Eastman Kodak; the French process was successfully adopted for the U.S. Although with the passage of time much technical knowledge regarding the lenticular process has been lost, we believe that there is sufficient expertise available to make it possible to reproduce color materials if it turns out that some of the "black and white" materials held by NBC, Showcase, and archives, are actually lenticular.

A second avenue was explored as well: Time could be saved if another color process, direct color reversal, was used. Commercially, these processes were called "Ektachrome" and "Anscochrome"; we have only recently discovered a single Ansocolor reel of one of the Producers' Showcase programs. It appears to have been made by photographing a color television set, as corners are slightly rounded. Thus, it is possible that some of the materials will eventually turn out to be this type of color.

However, while both of the alternatives to Technicolor appear to have been brought to commercial reality, it all turned out to be unnecessary; by 1957, each of the three networks had connected their affiliates together by coaxial cable, making it possible to broadcast a single signal to all of the affiliates from a single transmitting point. This coincided with the shift of production, in the Fall of 1957, from live to filmed programming, from New York to Hollywood, and generally from longer formats to half-hour formats. A color print could be created at liesure, and then broadcast simultaneously across the entire country, or broadcast to affiliates separately for each time zone.

Here’s a source linked to another defunct website, though this one is secure in the archives because it’s a transcription from a January 1952 article in American Cinematographer .

quote:

In the beginning there was a very definite reason for the decision of Desilu Productions to put I Love Lucy on film instead of doing it live and having kinescope recordings carry it to affiliate outlets of the network. The company was not satisfied with the quality of kinescopes. It saw that film, produced especially for television, was the only means of insuring top quality pictures on the home receiver as well as insuring a flawless show. "Putting a show on film, you can plan and cut, which you can't do with a live show," Freund explained. "Also, you avoid the fluffs that are bound to happen in live shows. But most important, if the film doesn't look right after its edited, you can re-shoot scenes, and add others to improve the picture, if necessary."

e: also of note (and another case of link rot!)

quote:

Videotape engineer Frederick M. Remley[31] wrote of kinescope recordings:

quote:

Because of the many variables in the combined electronic/photographic process, the quality of such recordings often leaves much to be desired. Defects often encountered in photographic recording include relatively poor image resolution; a compressed brightness range often limited by kinescope display technology to a brightness ratio of about 40:1; nonlinearity of recordings, as exemplified by lack of gradation in both the near-white and near-black portions of the reproduced pictures; and excessive image noise due to film grain and video processing artifacts. The final signal-to-noise ratio is often less than 40 dB, especially in the case of 16 mm film.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Mar 29, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

“Beck and call” frequently becomes “beckon call” because no one recognizes “beck” as its own word.

Lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BR (of outsourced IT fame) is short for "brest bregards".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've never used LOL in chat because I grew up with it meaning Lots Of Love and that's never what I'm trying to convey.

edit: by "grew up" I guess I mean "until I was 13 and started chatting with creeps online"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Then there's the people who insist on saying "without further adieu."
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I've never used LOL in chat because I grew up with it meaning Lots Of Love and that's never what I'm trying to convey.

edit: by "grew up" I guess I mean "until I was 13 and started chatting with creeps online"

Certainly makes a lot of internet discussions funnier when you read LOL as Lots of Love

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol

a person is drowning

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

lol

a person is drowning

vOv

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

My grandmother still uses it that way, so our family group chat gets stuff from her like 'your uncle is in the hospital, lol' from time to time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Loving my rear end off at that

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

flavor.flv posted:

Radarange is an awesome name and I wish it stuck and became the genericised term

It also explains the joke in Airplane! where they ask someone to check the radar and the next scene is them checking a microwave.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

"Out of my Head" as featured on a recent Ted Lasso episode is by Nineties band Fastball, and not Randy Newman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJXodcME0

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mlnhd posted:

"Out of my Head" as featured on a recent Ted Lasso episode is by Nineties band Fastball, and not Randy Newman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJXodcME0

you can tell because it's good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I loving loved Fastball. I remember waiting poised with my fingers over the record buttons on my boombox for The Way to come on and the DJ wouldn't shut the gently caress up until the first lyric

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fastball is a seriously underrated 90s one hit wonder. Fire Escape is a pretty great song too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fastball is one of those classic one-hit wonders that isn't actually a one-hit wonder, since Out of My Head was also a pretty big single.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And aptly named since it's quite difficult to get out of your head

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I just realized more people appreciate fastball here than I’d expect and that is a nice thing

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whenever I'd post a quoted reply in a fast-moving thread, I'd note the page I was on so I could get back to where I'd left off reading. Today I realized I could just click the quoted poster's name in my reply.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I like The Way too but at the same time it portrays an elderly couple with dementia wandering off into the desert to die as them going off to some happy place.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

maybe they did

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

I like The Way too but at the same time it portrays an elderly couple with dementia wandering off into the desert to die as them going off to some happy place.

I mean, anyone can see the road that they walked on was paved in gold.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hirayuki posted:

Whenever I'd post a quoted reply in a fast-moving thread, I'd note the page I was on so I could get back to where I'd left off reading. Today I realized I could just click the quoted poster's name in my reply.

Why not just open the reply page in a new tab and then hit "mark post as last read" when you're done?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Why not just open the reply page in a new tab and then hit "mark post as last read" when you're done?
I did that, too, but this is still easier--and works in the app.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

exquisite tea posted:

Fastball is one of those classic one-hit wonders that isn't actually a one-hit wonder, since Out of My Head was also a pretty big single.

They had another song that charted pretty well... umm... gently caress what was it...

Oh wait it was Out of My Head which was how the conversation began :|

e: I realized myself as I was writing it in real time; I think this kind of sounds like I'm making fun of you

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

credburn posted:

They had another song that charted pretty well... umm... gently caress what was it...

Oh wait it was Out of My Head which was how the conversation began :|

e: I realized myself as I was writing it in real time; I think this kind of sounds like I'm making fun of you

Fire Escape

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I'm currently reading the All Creatures Great And Small series by James Herriot. I never knew before how often veterinarians have to get all up inside cows' and horses' buttholes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I'm currently reading the All Creatures Great And Small series by James Herriot. I never knew before how often veterinarians have to get all up inside cows' and horses' buttholes.

I loved those books as a kid. They’re gross.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I grew up in an extremely conservative household that was pretty restrictive as to what I could read, but those were on the OK list, probably due to my folks just having a general acceptance of the PBS show. They never knew how much I learned about the world from reading about country vets getting all up in there, lol.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ha! I remember, growing up, my sister wanted to be a vet until she learned this :D

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grassy Knowles posted:

I loved those books as a kid. They’re gross.

I read a few of them on my aunt and uncle's ranch but did not partake of the animal's actual butts. It was still amusing late night reading.

The new series is quite good for a quiet little romantic English thing. Gonna watch the old one too again for mostly sleep purposes.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Apparently Jon Voight was in debt to the mob, or maybe The Joker or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pneub posted:

Apparently Jon Voight was in debt to the mob, or maybe The Joker or something.

Jon Voight went all in on supporting the Trump presidency, constantly pushing the idea that the 2020 election had been stolen and preaching to his Twitter followers for Trump's re-election. He's pretty much unemployable now.

His career rot started way before that though, he was making films like this as far back as 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXYk3HBrqZE

E: the kindest thing we might say about Karate Dog is that it at least contributed to this amazing cultural artifact

quote:

Doggiewoggiez! Poochiewoochiez! (2012)

A surrealist remake of Alejandro Jodorowsky's 1973 film, "The Holy Mountain," consisting entirely of borrowed clips from countless dog films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZvPwwXYDQ

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Apr 1, 2023

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Baby Geniuses 5 was in 2014. This man pissed off the wrong people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pneub posted:

Baby Geniuses 5 was in 2014. This man pissed off the wrong people.

He got an extreme case of Fox News Brain in the 00s and Obama's presidency pushed him right over the edge even before it started

Jon Voight, 2008 posted:

The Democratic Party, in its quest for power, has managed a propaganda campaign with subliminal messages, creating a God-like figure in a man who falls short in every way. It seems to me that if Mr. Obama wins the presidential election, then Messrs. Farrakhan, Wright, Ayers and Pfleger will gain power for their need to demoralize this country and help create a socialist America.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/28/voight/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN