Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have a severely CD/Zizek-brained leftist superhero work coming out in a few weeks. It's been called an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." If people are interested I could drop some links in here, I guess? Some of the conversation over the past few pages has felt like people might enjoy it!

Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I have a severely CD/Zizek-brained leftist superhero work coming out in a few weeks. It's been called an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." If people are interested I could drop some links in here, I guess? Some of the conversation over the past few pages has felt like people might enjoy it!

Please do.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

How do I throw my money at you to make this happen faster?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Either start posting those links, or start eatin' that trash can (of ideology).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nephthys posted:

I'd just like to point out that all of those things did happen in the comics at some point.

- Batman does support a poo poo ton of charities as Bruce Wayne, including sponsoring reform programs. It's just apparently not enough to instantly stop crime in a way that justifies the comic continuing.
- I'm pretty sure there tons of comics where superheroes use their powers to solve world problems like energy and poverty. But only in separate continuities or future timelines. Also I think there is literally a comic where Superman flies into the sun to give everyone free power or something.
- Spider-man does actually found a company and release a lot of inventions, but then a writer reverted him back because Spider-man is more relatable when he's poor.
- There a tons of comics where a villain reforms and puts their talents to good use only to "tragically" revert back to their villainous ways. More prominently, in the comics the Civil War storyline was started by Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym coming up with a brilliant plan to completely revolutionise the world socially and scientifically using their genius and inventions. It, uh, didn't go well and eventually everyone just went back to being vigilantes.

So it isn't so much a problem of things like these not being able to be explored, in fact exploring them is often really cool, it's just that in comics The Status Quo is God. They aren't ever allowed to meaningfully 'solve' a problem in a way that can't just be reverted the next time a writer wants to go back to the well for a new story. Even if it might make for a better story, it's either retconned, reverted or the writer bends over to show why it wouldn't work. It's why I have zero interest in reading a western comic book. There's no point. Doc Ock can die, become Spider-man, reform, die again, come back to life and become a villain again inside of a few years and we're just back to where we started. In this way the movies are better because there actually is some ongoing continuity and consequences. You can't just bring Tony Stark back to life, that would be stupid.

Its not just that they aren't allowed to solve a problem, whenever one off stories of them solving them is done, its almost exclusively done in a way to show "tsk tsk, see? solving problem is actually bad you see and a dystopia. best to never try"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige has completed his decade long coup and gotten Ike Perlmutter fired.

Dan Buckley now runs Marvel Entertainment and reports directly to Kevin Feige.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/business/media/disney-marvel-ike-perlmutter.html

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tom Guycot posted:

Its not just that they aren't allowed to solve a problem, whenever one off stories of them solving them is done, its almost exclusively done in a way to show "tsk tsk, see? solving problem is actually bad you see and a dystopia. best to never try"

Marvel's "What If" line was the same way. I remember I was incensed that the "What if Uncle Ben had lived?" issue was done twice, once where it was Aunt May instead and once where Spider-Man stopped the burglar (but not out of a sense of civic responsibility, but for adulation) and in both cases things turned out the same or worse.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah was going to point this exact thing out. The status quo style writing of modern comic books, where huge world shattering events are happening constantly but nothing every really changes aren't written that way because they're the only interesting stories to tell. They're written that way so they can put them out indefinitely until they literally can't squeeze money out of the books/merchandise to justify continuing.
There was also (at least at the big two, DC and Marvel) an editorial directive to hew closely to the real world outside ot the existence of superheroes. A DC editor once referred to it as "The world outside your window." The intent was to keep superhero comics more relatable to readers by having the stories take place in a familiar setting, but it also had the collateral effect of furthering that constant return to mean for the status quo.

Tom Guycot posted:

IIRC this came up a lot in Marvel's various What If? series. The alternate versions were usually much more miserable outcomes rather than just being different. At the time I thought of it as more of a "The writers don't want to make the mainstream stories events look like the lesser outcome" but there were definitely elements of the above as well.

(I see while I was writing this someone else noted the same thing!)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peyote Panda posted:

IIRC this came up a lot in Marvel's various What If? series. The alternate versions were usually much more miserable outcomes rather than just being different. At the time I thought of it as more of a "The writers don't want to make the mainstream stories events look like the lesser outcome" but there were definitely elements of the above as well.

There was an issue based on "What If The Punisher's Family Hadn't Been Murdered By Criminals" where Frank Castle lives a happy family life and becomes an honest cop but turns into The Punisher anyway after his family is murdered by corrupt cops

Poor guy can't catch a break :(

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marvel's "What If" line was the same way. I remember I was incensed that the "What if Uncle Ben had lived?" issue was done twice, once where it was Aunt May instead and once where Spider-Man stopped the burglar (but not out of a sense of civic responsibility, but for adulation) and in both cases things turned out the same or worse.

There's a few fun ones that don't necessarily run the formula of "this is bad! Good thing this didn't happen!"; there's one where Captain America becomes POTUS (he ends up dying with the Red Skull, leaving the US with its first black president), where Vision takes over Earth (he ends world hunger, homelessness, war) and eventually the Kree and Skrull [though they also show an alt future where Genosha genoshides all the world leaders when they meet Vision with nukes, resulting in Hitler World], where Dazzler becomes Galactus' Herald (she directs him towards lifeless planets, his heart grows ten sizes, Silver Surfer apparently bad at his job), and one where Captain America is a civil war soldier (becomes a Native American themed white savior, ends the Civil War earlier, saves Lincoln, prevents the Indian Wars, defeats the KKK).

But you're not wrong that most of them trumpet the status quo of the main continuity, which is a bummer. I usually preferred Elseworlds over What If? Because I like alternate costumes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Clayface will be a villain in The Batman 2.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1641164762405806081

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's like 5 clayfaces, gotta narrow that down a bit.

Unless they're adapting the Mud Pack story arc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the hell is this gonna work - very supernatural but I am all for it. Finally something loving different.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm very glad they're building on the more fantastical elements in the first one (like his CC contacts).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wouldn't be surprised if they go with the Golden Age version.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vintersorg posted:

How the hell is this gonna work - very supernatural but I am all for it. Finally something loving different.

Probably just altering his face and maybe his voice, not the ridiculous shapeshifting he is usually known for.

Though I would love it if, whenever he masquerades as a regular shmoe, he alternates between Tom Cruise-sized and LeBron James-sized people.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The source listed in this tweet is Deadline, but the only article they have mentioning Clayface recently is one from about an hour ago where they say that Mike Flanagan has pitched an adaptation of Clayface to DC, but they are unsure whether he means it as its own original film or as an addition to the sequel to The Batman. https://deadline.com/2023/03/clayface-movie-mike-flanagan-warner-bros-1235312906/

I do not consider "writer pitches story to studio" to be definite news of an upcoming film.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The first clayface named Basil Karlo was originally a serial killer who just used movie makeup to kill people.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chairman Capone posted:

Are there really a lot of fans who want Krasinski as Reed Richards? That just seems like such a weird choice to me.

He's well known and he has a well known blonde wife so people get to feel clever for double fancasting. Personally I'd prefer they go super young for the FF since they're gonna be anchoring a corner of the MCU for a while in a bit here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pirate Jet posted:

The source listed in this tweet is Deadline, but the only article they have mentioning Clayface recently is one from about an hour ago where they say that Mike Flanagan has pitched an adaptation of Clayface to DC, but they are unsure whether he means it as its own original film or as an addition to the sequel to The Batman. https://deadline.com/2023/03/clayface-movie-mike-flanagan-warner-bros-1235312906/

I do not consider "writer pitches story to studio" to be definite news of an upcoming film.

Yeah, looks like Deadline updated the story with:

quote:

That said, other sources are telling us that scripts are constantly changing, and that Clayface is a big addition to Matt Reeves’ The Batman 2. Let’s wait until the dust settles here and something moves forward

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Just bring back the entire cast of the fox FF movies. Who doesn't want to see the commish in a rubber suit again? Or a bunch of confused people wonderin why captain america is now on fire.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Honestly I would be fine if Batman movies just became horror movies with the rogues where Batman shows up in the last five minutes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's crazy that Joker made a billion dollars and won a couple of Oscars and DC's strategy was to reboot their MCU ripoff.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

There's a few fun ones that don't necessarily run the formula of "this is bad! Good thing this didn't happen!"; there's one where Captain America becomes POTUS (he ends up dying with the Red Skull, leaving the US with its first black president), where Vision takes over Earth (he ends world hunger, homelessness, war) and eventually the Kree and Skrull [though they also show an alt future where Genosha genoshides all the world leaders when they meet Vision with nukes, resulting in Hitler World], where Dazzler becomes Galactus' Herald (she directs him towards lifeless planets, his heart grows ten sizes, Silver Surfer apparently bad at his job), and one where Captain America is a civil war soldier (becomes a Native American themed white savior, ends the Civil War earlier, saves Lincoln, prevents the Indian Wars, defeats the KKK).

But you're not wrong that most of them trumpet the status quo of the main continuity, which is a bummer. I usually preferred Elseworlds over What If? Because I like alternate costumes

DC had a fun one where an alternate earth Batman murdered every single DC villain after Robin got killed by Joker, and without villains to muck everything up that worlds heroes turned that world into a utopia (that then got destroyed by...I wanna say Superboy prime or the anti-monitor, I forget which)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

DC had a fun one where an alternate earth Batman murdered every single DC villain after Robin got killed by Joker, and without villains to muck everything up that worlds heroes turned that world into a utopia (that then got destroyed by...I wanna say Superboy prime or the anti-monitor, I forget which)

I remember that episode of Darkwing Duck.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember that episode of Darkwing Duck.

Wasn't that just a Dark Knight Returns parody?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I kinda liked the latter one when I read it on marvel unlimited a long time ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of. Without an incident to inspire him to heroism for heroisms sake, he instead got drunk off being The Hero. He started beating up bad guys for his own satisfaction instead of because it's the right thing.

I thought it was a pretty good What If concept.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the What Ifs/Elseworlds have high body counts and downer endings imo simply because they're actually allowed to have endings, that they're self-contained and not obligated to maintain a status quo. That they seem like 'see, the canon continuity is the best of all worlds' a lot of the time is probably not always intentional.

KittyEmpress posted:

I kinda liked the latter one when I read it on marvel unlimited a long time ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of. Without an incident to inspire him to heroism for heroisms sake, he instead got drunk off being The Hero. He started beating up bad guys for his own satisfaction instead of because it's the right thing.

I thought it was a pretty good What If concept.

See, that's the kinda thing I can see happening too, especially with Ditko-era Peter Parker. A key part of Spider-man's characterisation is a mix of ego and sense of humour balanced out by a crushing guilt complex.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You forgot the cardinal rule of What If: Spider-Man's life always gets worse

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McSpanky posted:

Like the one where he got put in a concentration camp and then smothered red skull to death with webbing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeimosRising posted:

Like the one where he got put in a concentration camp and then smothered red skull to death with webbing

Murdering Red Skull is loving awesome though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McSpanky posted:

I wish the What If cartoon remembered that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Sorry for pulling up older posts, I’ve been meaning to address this aspect of the discussion.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget that Spider-Man's main drive and pretty much his entire superhero origin was that he was a victim of crime - he didn't decide to become a vigilante because he got powers (and indeed he didn't bother stopping crime when he first got his powers because "That's not my problem") but because the man who raised him was murdered by a robber. You can't get much more obviously reactionary than that. :v:

And it just so happened he'd recently stumbled into the super abilities of "Avoid attacks supernaturally well" and "Punch people really hard" which made it trivially easy to stop bank robberies, so what else was he going to do?? :shrug:
E: just to be clear, I'm pointing out that the comics gave him reasons for becoming a vigilante ("With great power comes great responsibility" and all that) but they're obviously unrealistic and don't really hold up to scrutiny

I mean I agree with Kveezy but also one of the salves that they gave the Spider-Man fan is that he's really not very strong or durable as Superheroes go and his one big ability is "he's hard to hit". (and in fact that is what I liked about him as a kid. He was scrappy. I really appreciated the choice in the Ultimates to make him 'little' and how that carried over to making adult Parker a shorter guy, like 5'6", to show that).

Obviously it's a funny book and these traits are highly variable but it's not too hard to write him into a situation he has difficulty with. Spider-Man is not going to challenge The Hulk or The Thing or whatever, and most of his "bruiser" type opponents have Achilles Heels that he can exploit. Whereas against bank robbers he's One Punch Man.

What’s more important than Spider-Man’s particular capacity corralling him towards the literal protection of Capital, is the general capacity of that imagery to arrest us in the first place. This is especially salient given the recent U.S. banking crises, and the state’s corresponding efforts to restore normalcy (Read: restoring faith in rampant private financial speculation).

That is to say, rather than the reactionary content being due to the narrative not holding up or it being an inevitable consequence of serialization, I contend that it’s already fully there in the beginning, and that it’s most readily visible formally. Start with the basic contradiction of the super-vigilante standing for Justice against Crime through committing Crime — though instead of insisting it is necessary to overlook this in order for the story to work, we must instead see in it the truth of the story. What we are confronted with is the individual’s relation to society’s laws, and society’s need to quell the alienated surplus population produced by industrial capitalism. Given U.S. capitalism’s shift from industrialism to financialization, and the ever expanding surplus population, the image of a superhero utilizing their great power responsibly to stop bank robbers loses its ethical appearance and becomes almost quaint. It is this network of relations that is fundamentally reactionary, and is what makes the MCU Spider-Man/Stark connection the most explicit rendering.

So to return to the basic contradiction: is it possible for an individual to deal justice by doing violent crimes? Yes, if the individual adheres to a properly transcendent logic beyond the extant society, committing a crime so tremendously violent that it reshapes society itself, retroactively re-contextualizing how we see the act in the first place. The U.S. abolitionist John Brown remains a controversial historical figure, as he led an engagement in what can be called grimdark vigilantism, but personally I’d be hard-pressed to call him anything but super-heroic.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 31, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want to watch Spider-man deliver pizzas to a jaunty tune

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In an even more basic sense, Spiderman’s message that “if you don’t beat up criminals when you have the chance, you are responsible for any and all future bad actions they may commit” is fuckin’ insane bullshit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josh Friedman (Avatar 2 and the Snowpiercer TV series) is writing the Fantastic 4 movie. He is taking over for the previous writers Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer; allegedly due to a "change in tone" to be less comedic and more dramatic Sci-fi.

Matt Shakman (Game of Thrones and Wandavision) is directing.

Rachel Brosnahan and Jodie Comer are both rumored to be in consideration for Sue Storm.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1641887708535574536

quote:

Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer were the previous writers on the project and Friedman’s hire signals a potential change in tone. Kaplan and Springer are neophyte scribes known for their comedy scripts. Among the works they have in development are the Rebel Wilson comedy K-Pop: Lost in America and Disaster Wedding, which has Palm Springs filmmaker Max Barbakow attached to direct.

Friedman, on the other hand, is a veteran of the sci-fi genre. He co-wrote War of the Worlds, the Steven Spielberg-Tom Cruise update on the H.G. Wells classic, and then acted as the writer-creator of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, the Terminator TV series that served as his first foray into the world of James Cameron. Years later, he would return to work on 2019’s Terminator: Dark Fate and was one of the writers Cameron turned to help in world-building and crafting stories for his multi-movie Avatar franchise.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No, Jodie! Run!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

allegedly due to a "change in tone" to be less comedic and more dramatic Sci-fi.

I have a fantastic feeling about this!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's a fresh, new take on the IP, one that definitely has never been done before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The last time a F4 movie radically changed tone overnight, it turned out wonderful.