Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

According to google a soil pipe is for sewage from the bathroom and a vent on top? Are you not using that upstairs bathroom because it doesn't have that yet? Seems like it'd be good to get going on that if so.

If your in-use bathroom looks like those photos, your life is even worse than mine. But yeah, that's why I don't use it yet. Well that and all the other time and expense required to fit the bathroom when I have a working one downstairs and other fish to fry.

As for the vent, I've been thinking about that for a while but on reviewing the regulations it looks like I'll just squeak in under the 6m limit to not require another vent on that branch, but I can add one later if really needed.

Rexxed posted:

I too have a Bosch bulldog rotary hammer drill.

mr.belowaverage posted:

Sup Bulldog buddies.

In this case it's a Katsu brand Bosch knockoff.

Rexxed posted:

Although, JB, your work-from-home and specific industry seem to afford you a lot more time at and in your residence. I travel for work, so I just occasionally visit my construction site and get nothing done.

Yeah that's a change I don't regret. Wasting up to 3 hours a day commuting can gently caress off.

That said, it does mean you spend more time living in a to-do list.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sup Poirot buddy

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sup Poirot buddy

I’ve been sleeping on that series all these years. it’s quite calming.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah that's a change I don't regret. Wasting up to 3 hours a day commuting can gently caress off.

That said, it does mean you spend more time living in a to-do list.

I wish it was commuting sometimes. I have a regional territory spanning roughly 800km. I spend more time away than at home by a factor of 4 or 5. I still have the to-do list, just in extreme slow motion.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah that's a rough life too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Air con time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’ve been sleeping on that series all these years. it’s quite calming.
It is. If you're into gardening at all, Rosemary and Thyme is another good cozy-detective bet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That one I remember from its original airing I think.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jaded Burnout posted:

Air con time.

You made that look easy.

Normally you painfully document each misstep

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mr.belowaverage posted:

You made that look easy.

Normally you painfully document each misstep

Steps 1 through 8 (not pictured) were finding and vetting a company to do it for me, four months ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just to add on to this, the reason there was no missteps this time is because while it was my first proper time dealing with AC installs, it was the 30th time dealing with a new contractor doing new-to-me work, so I at least knew what sort of questions to ask to make sure I fully understood what was going on, and took the day off so I could watch the process until I was satisfied they knew what they were doing.

Even then it's only me skimming the installation manual that stopped the guy from mucking with my distributor panel so that the units wouldn't be on RCD/GFCI circuits (the manual says actually really do put them on RCDs please, and also that would've taken like four rooms' sockets off RCD which is not ideal).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Spent a bit of time frosting the windows of one of the front rooms. I'm intending to eventually replace this with problematically named "plantation shutters". The window in the room over will be done soon to match.

I'll be filling in the side gaps after. Limitation of the roll width.

Something I'm not happy about is the quality of this paintwork. It was already flaking off and all this came off just by brushing it lightly with my hand.

I'm convinced this (and poorly adhered paint elsewhere) is a result of plasterers judging the quality of their work by how shiny smooth they can make the finish, and painters not sanding the surface to key it. Yet again I see redoing someone else's work in my future.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

JB's house renovation: Yet again I see redoing someone else's work in my future.
New thread title?!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sure, I've been falling behind on my pisscraft.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
It’s like painting the Forth Bridge. As soon as you get to one end the other end needs painting again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm intending to eventually replace this with problematically named "plantation shutters".
I love those, too, but they are an incredible pain to dust.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Found a fully grown sparrow in my home office this morning. Trying very hard not to think about how it got inside the house.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jaded Burnout posted:

Found a fully grown sparrow in my home office this morning. Trying very hard not to think about how it got inside the house.

A pity the thread title just changed.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's just the new contractor. Probably an improvement over some of those you've had in the past. Definitely more skilled.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

That's just the new contractor. Probably an improvement over some of those you've had in the past. Definitely more skilled.

Similarly to all the others it also doesn’t know how windows work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well it didn't walk up the stairs mate.

ed: your office is probably on the ground floor I just now realized gently caress

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 30, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Just Winging It posted:

He doesn't know what he's doing, he's just winging it

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Vim Fuego posted:

He doesn't know what he's doing, he's just winging it

His rates are cheep, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tinytort posted:

His rates are cheep, though.

Egg, like a bird’s egg

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Is the contractor break room and port-a-loo still up? You don’t want it fowling your inside plumbing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wrong shitshow uk build thread there. My foundations did not require a tea station.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
99's foundations could serve as a launch pad for elons mars rocket.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Jaded Burnout posted:

Egg, like a bird’s egg

Egg egg egg eggg. Egggg. Egg.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

2 days into funemployment and I've already lost my grip on time.

What I do have though is an order placed for the workshop flooring. I poked around and decided that a 7mm matting would do, ideally in a light grey. As it happened these folks were doing a sale on dark grey, about a third off normal price. I can be persuaded to a different grey for a £300 discount.

I also considered getting some tempermanent outdoor flooring I could use for moving things around before the real paths go in, but while it was reasonably priced (~£150 for 10sqm) it was £80 delivery, so, I'll just chuck some OSB down when I need to move the equipment from the house to the workshop.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jaded Burnout posted:

Wrong shitshow uk build thread there. My foundations did not require a tea station.

I’m not gonna let that get in the way of making a terrible joke.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Workshop flooring arrived. It's heavier than it looks.

I wasn't going to leave it outside but then I remembered it's just plastic (with a bit of give to it).

It had been a toss up between ecotile and the seemingly well-known company called Garage Floor Tile Company that I went with in the end, but I'm now 99% sure they're just whitelabelled ecotiles anyway, so, that's all fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

It had been a toss up between ecotile and the seemingly well-known company called Garage Floor Tile Company that I went with in the end, but I'm now 99% sure they're just whitelabelled ecotiles anyway, so, that's all fine.

I was curious so I did a bit of digging.

quote:

The Garage Floor Tile Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of EcoTile Flooring Limited

mmhm

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's very suspicious when they have like colour swapped websites of each other.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah they are quite differently branded. The giveaway, and you're going to think I'm a drat sherlock for spotting this one, is that they emailed and texted me the delivery tracking info from ecotile.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Was there a difference in price between them?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Other than the sale discount, no, but you can't buy the ecotile branded ones direct without getting a quote, so I'm guessing it's a self-owned reseller where they can brand to middle aged british-racing-green-MG dodderers and "my other car is a ferrari poster in my office" VP of business card sales wankers.

By the way, whoever thought it was a good idea to call a clothing company "Racing Green" is a goddamn idiot, it makes for the most confusing product names like "racing green chinos grey"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

At least we all know what trousers you've got on now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That ecotile stuff looks great and I highly appreciate their bombastic video on their site. I'm going to look at that when I get round to putting a proper utility room into the garage, some weird angles in there though so depends how easy to cut it actually is.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I fully hate doing itchy insulation shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

shouldn't have eaten it in the first place