Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I just used Total Commander's search function. It took a bit to run through the whole drive, but I've never had it not find a file that existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i'm sure it's good or whatever but Everything is a loving obnoxious name

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/gf_256/status/1640100620228083713

26 chromes on my machine totalling 2.8GB, i love modern software

3.4 GB on my Linux install, with 12/17 being for JetBrains IDEs, 1 being Steam, 1 being Steam VR, 2 being from a game from GOG, and the last one being Minecraft. Steam VR is the largest one at 705MB and the JetBrains ones being 191MB. Are any of these even electron? Most of them are just embedded browsers I think.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vanadium posted:

Do I really need to download a third party app to do a search for a given filename on my local disk now? I haven't really understood how to use file search in Windows for a while now but I assumed that was a me problem.

PowerShell code:
ls "C:\" -Filter "libcef.dll" -Recurse -EA Ignore| Select Name,@{Name="FileSize";Expression={"$([string]::Format("{0:0.00}", $_.Length / 1MB)) MB"}},LastWriteTime,DirectoryName

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

6.2 GB in 63 copies. That's a whole 0.34% of my disk space! onoz

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Flagrama posted:

3.4 GB on my Linux install, with 12/17 being for JetBrains IDEs, 1 being Steam, 1 being Steam VR, 2 being from a game from GOG, and the last one being Minecraft. Steam VR is the largest one at 705MB and the JetBrains ones being 191MB. Are any of these even electron? Most of them are just embedded browsers I think.

I believe apps that use electron embed it fully now so you won’t see libcef.dll with those eg I know for a fact VS code and MS teams use it and they don’t have libcef.dll.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Windows search is, and has been dogshit since actually forever.
It's so goddamn slow too.

I was writing a program that needs to search through about 100,000 filenames recently and I thought it would be unbearably slow, because searching for filenames in windows explorer on that scale takes several minutes. But the search implemented in the program took some tens of milliseconds lol.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Spatial posted:

It's so goddamn slow too.

Same. I don't know how it's so slow and lovely. I've literally just done a recursive DIR command on a directory, output to file and ctrl-f to find a file and it was faster than windows search.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of bad search, how about Outlook on a Mac? Mine is awful and seems to often be missing the last day of emails. If I do the same search on the web interface, it works fine, so I suspect Spotlight is involved.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Jen heir rick posted:

Same. I don't know how it's so slow and lovely. I've literally just done a recursive DIR command on a directory, output to file and ctrl-f to find a file and it was faster than windows search.

At a guess, passing each file through a couple functions to index and load icons, file associations, etc. Some (all?) files are opened and read to generate previews. It's super wasteful and could be done more intelligently, but I can totally see how it can happen.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

smackfu posted:

So I suspect Spotlight is involved.

Yeah spotlight sucks just as much as windows search. Which is crazy, because back in the macos 9 days, when it was called sherlock, search was instantaneous and actually searched your entire harddrive. Of course it only searched file names, but I have literally never found it useful to search contents on local search. Maybe that's the problem. I start typing "the.." and it tries to show me every file that has ever been written. Real useful.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

6.2 GB in 63 copies. That's a whole 0.34% of my disk space! onoz

The real pain is when they’re all loaded in to memory.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just throwing in a recommendation for PowerToys for Windows, particularly PowerToys Run, which is just spotlight search for Windows. Except it's not as lovely as the inbuilt Windows search.

It's probably not great either but at least when I type in the name of an application I get the loving application reliably

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Macichne Leainig posted:

Just throwing in a recommendation for PowerToys for Windows, particularly PowerToys Run, which is just spotlight search for Windows. Except it's not as lovely as the inbuilt Windows search.

It's probably not great either but at least when I type in the name of an application I get the loving application reliably

PowerToys Run is really good, especially the way it lets you do things like prefix with $ to search control panel settings, : for registry, ! for services, etc

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Shockingly only 2 copies of libcef.dll on my entire pc, but theyre both the exact same in two different subfolders in the adobe acrobat reader install directory :rolleyes:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I should find all of mine, hardlink them all to one copy, and see what happens

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why is it called libcef.dll and not something more descriptive? I am a big fan of terse names, but I don't get the point of terseness for things you will not regularly type, but which you might need to spot in lists.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Athas posted:

Why is it called libcef.dll and not something more descriptive? I am a big fan of terse names, but I don't get the point of terseness for things you will not regularly type, but which you might need to spot in lists.
It's the Chromium Embedded Framework library (CEF) so it seems reasonable to me. I don't think anyone names their libraries according to whether you're going to need to spot it in a list.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jen heir rick posted:

but I have literally never found it useful to search contents on local search. Maybe that's the problem. I start typing "the.." and it tries to show me every file that has ever been written. Real useful.

I regularly do content search on local files, but it absolutely should not be the default behaviour of search.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Volte posted:

It's the Chromium Embedded Framework library (CEF) so it seems reasonable to me. I don't think anyone names their libraries according to whether you're going to need to spot it in a list.

Maybe they should. There is nothing gained by calling it libcef.dll instead of libChromiumEmbedded.dll or whatever, and the latter saves you from having to look up what cef means. It's not like you type this name often while programming. I think I have found the obscure complaint that I will build my grave on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Athas posted:

Maybe they should. There is nothing gained by calling it libcef.dll instead of libChromiumEmbedded.dll or whatever, and the latter saves you from having to look up what cef means. It's not like you type this name often while programming. I think I have found the obscure complaint that I will build my grave on.
Okay, but

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If you wanna get mad about nondescriptive dll names in common use, look no further than libeay32.dll

it's OpenSSL, of course

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CEF is a particular software library, it’s not Electron, and it’s not Blink inside Qt5/6. They all have the same function, but the former interfaces to C++, the middle to JavaScript, and the latter to QML and C++ as part of the Qt ecosystem. CEF is also not managed by the Chromium team, it’s an independent project.

Steam is a big user of CEF and Spotify is the primary sponsor of Electron. Qt is a commercial library that charges for commercial usage.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 29, 2023

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I believe apps that use electron embed it fully now so you won’t see libcef.dll with those eg I know for a fact VS code and MS teams use it and they don’t have libcef.dll.

Well, Linux doesn't use static linking very often, so if an application is using libcef it's usually either using my system's or it's own provided libcef.so. As for Electron apps, makes more sense to search for .asar files, but I'd have to actually parse them. A lot of packages on Arch Linux for example rip out embedded Electron and enforce use of system Electron installs instead. So I think the list is pretty accurate, just missing a number of my base electron library installs. I'm using Discord with my electron21 install and that's the only Electron app I have installed right now from what I see. I prefer to use most Electron apps in-browser.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Xarn posted:

I regularly do content search on local files, but it absolutely should not be the default behaviour of search.

Yeah, I've always found it annoying that I have to specify I want to search by name first.Though I've always liked Spotlight (not the Finder search, but the one you get with command+space) as a way to launch applications I don't have on my Dock, a quick calculator, or a unit converter.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Funny, I never seem to have trouble finding what application I want with the Taskbar search.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 29, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zergstain posted:

Funny, I never seem to have trouble finding what application I want with the Taskbar search.

It usually finds the right app, it just has a bad habit of suggesting something else instead for me :shrug:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My favourite Windows start menu search behaviour (which thankfully seems to be fixed in Win11) was typing "VLC" and the first highlighted result was "VLC media player - reset preferences and cache files" instead of the main application.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
microsoft is sort of trying to solve the packaged chromium on windows with WebView2, which will use system-installed Edge (so, Chromium) by default. applications can still choose to package a specific version if they're concerned about updates breaking the apps, though

teams is moving to it. i laughed very hard when i saw a headline saying "Teams Preview Ditches Electron!!" and thought "oh wow microsoft must have finally built a native UI framework they like enough to actually build software in it again" and no of course not they've just moved from Angular to React and Electron to WebView2 https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-advantages-of-the-new-architecture/ba-p/3775704

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm searching with some good oldfashioned dir libcef.dll /S in cmd. Works for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

My favourite Windows start menu search behaviour (which thankfully seems to be fixed in Win11) was typing "VLC" and the first highlighted result was "VLC media player - reset preferences and cache files" instead of the main application.

W10 still seems to use some kind of unpredictable/unstable search ranking function. If I type "Ch" the first result is "Google Chrome", but if I then continue and type "Chr" it replaces the first result with my "Google Chrome Guest mode" shortcut -- it replaced the original #1 match despite it still being an exact result.

Similarly, a search of "volum" pops up "Adjust Volume -- system settings" in the control panel, but "volume" brings up "Sound mixer options" instead. :confused:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 30, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why are some of you pretending like you can't just open a bash shell and run `find` on your Windows system?

Here's a fun one:

quote:

./Windows/Installer/$PatchCache$/Managed/68AB67CA9125123412342CB5110E47A00/21.1.20135/libcef.dll

What the gently caress, Windows???

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

abraham linksys posted:

microsoft is sort of trying to solve the packaged chromium on windows with WebView2, which will use system-installed Edge (so, Chromium) by default. applications can still choose to package a specific version if they're concerned about updates breaking the apps, though

teams is moving to it. i laughed very hard when i saw a headline saying "Teams Preview Ditches Electron!!" and thought "oh wow microsoft must have finally built a native UI framework they like enough to actually build software in it again" and no of course not they've just moved from Angular to React and Electron to WebView2 https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-advantages-of-the-new-architecture/ba-p/3775704

oh and naturally the internet is now filled with "how can i use webview2 from activex" and there are wrappers for it now. Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

QuarkJets posted:

Why are some of you pretending like you can't just open a bash shell and run `find` on your Windows system?

Here's a fun one:

What the gently caress, Windows???

What's weird about that? That's Acrobat backing up the files it's replacing when you run the MSI.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

QuarkJets posted:

... because FIND searches through filecontents, not filenames. You want DIR for that one.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 30, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT7nnXej2K4

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo imagine being proud of a 9.1 second launch time

Edit: Unless it's like, a space ship I guess.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

W10 still seems to use some kind of unpredictable/unstable search ranking function. If I type "Ch" the first result is "Google Chrome", but if I then continue and type "Chr" it replaces the first result with my "Google Chrome Guest mode" shortcut -- it replaced the original #1 match despite it still being an exact result.

Similarly, a search of "volum" pops up "Adjust Volume -- system settings" in the control panel, but "volume" brings up "Sound mixer options" instead. :confused:

I think the idea is that if you kept typing, then the result isn't what you wanted, which is dumb as hell because you would have to finger-peck for it to bring up results in time for you to read them as you typed anyways

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holy poo poo imagine being proud of a 9.1 second launch time

Edit: Unless it's like, a space ship I guess.

Hey man, it's a chat program. Do you know how hard it is to write a chat program? Cut them some slack, that's a complicated piece of software.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Wipfmetz posted:

... because FIND searches through filecontents, not filenames. You want DIR for that one.

In bash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dougdrums posted:

I think the idea is that if you kept typing, then the result isn't what you wanted, which is dumb as hell because you would have to finger-peck for it to bring up results in time for you to read them as you typed anyways

That was my guess too. "Hey we're returning results within 1ms, we can do this!" Cut to responses no longer appearing within 1ms.