Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AceClown posted:

interesting to me that they called out "sorceries" in the last bit.

lets say I bolt the battle in the end step and the flip side is a sorcery then it's getting cast in a phase it shouldn't be cast in

You normally can't cast a sorcery in the combat damage step either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reminder that’s how non instant madness spells worked too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
bolting the battle won't defeat it, solves that issue at least

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

bolting the battle won't defeat it, solves that issue at least

?

quote:

any spell or ability that says "any target" can target a battle

quote:

Any damage dealt to a battle causes that many defense counters to be removed from it. When the last defense counter is removed from a Siege battle, the battle is defeated and a triggered ability triggers

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

that's new information for me, bolt away

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

AceClown posted:

interesting to me that they called out "sorceries" in the last bit.

lets say I bolt the battle in the end step and the flip side is a sorcery then it's getting cast in a phase it shouldn't be cast in

There are many effects that work like this, where you can cast a sorcery from exile with the implication that it happens at a time when you normally couldn't cast it from your hand.
Finale of Promise was big and funny there. Because it shared Standards with Teferi Time Raveler. Which makes you unable to cast the spells you chose there and made the card useless in a way that wasn't obvious to everybody.
Myrel is currently in standard, and would prevent the casting of the backside of the saga during Myrel's controller's turn by on of Myrel's opponents.
Though all those effects also make it hard to do damage at instant speed anyways, so it is even more unlikely to come up.

Actually, now that I think about it:
If you have Myrel or 3-feri in play you should be able to kill a Battle an opponent controls during your turn and fizzle the flip cast that way.
Nice tech, if true.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Look, many cards!

Interestingly they're showing the fronts of several battles but not the backs. But you also see two new mechanics!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Halo Forager looks good, even if the colors are unusual - isnt it usually R that cheats spells from grave?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Look, many cards!

Interestingly they're showing the fronts of several battles but not the backs. But you also see two new mechanics!

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived but I had to read Backup a few times before I understood what it actually did. Neat mechanic though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will Backup Agent be errata'd lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Think there’ll be a flipside Battle Planeswalker?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
6-mana sweeper that can be one-sided (and flip immediately) in some situations probably plays, though you wouldn't overload on it.

Ixalan looks like it plays, sees more cards than Impulse and then you threaten even more value from it later.

Ikoria would be nice if it had a deck but 2 extra mana is probably too slow for the current format, 8/8 is pretty huge though so maybe there'll be an alternative strategy where you just play it for 2 and turbo flip it with burn spells.

Ergamon looks pretty rancid, hard to think of a deck you'd want to play it in where you wouldn't just prefer that 5 damage hitting face instead. Unless there's a discard synergy in those colours it looks underwhelming even in Limited. Might change if the flip side has some meaty text on it though.

New Phyrexia is impossible to judge without seeing the back. Seeing as you can just slap it down for 2 and then attack it, it's probably not gonna be a Time Walk level of effect, but there's still a range of things where it would be good.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Rinkles posted:

I could believe that Invasion of Arcavios // Quint is a thing

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Probably not this set. I gotta imagine they’ll keep it simple since this mechanic is gonna be around for a long time, gotta keep some other design space open

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

6-mana sweeper that can be one-sided (and flip immediately) in some situations probably plays, though you wouldn't overload on it.

Ixalan looks like it plays, sees more cards than Impulse and then you threaten even more value from it later.

Ikoria would be nice if it had a deck but 2 extra mana is probably too slow for the current format, 8/8 is pretty huge though so maybe there'll be an alternative strategy where you just play it for 2 and turbo flip it with burn spells.

Ergamon looks pretty rancid, hard to think of a deck you'd want to play it in where you wouldn't just prefer that 5 damage hitting face instead. Unless there's a discard synergy in those colours it looks underwhelming even in Limited. Might change if the flip side has some meaty text on it though.

New Phyrexia is impossible to judge without seeing the back. Seeing as you can just slap it down for 2 and then attack it, it's probably not gonna be a Time Walk level of effect, but there's still a range of things where it would be good.

Regardless of the backside the GGX tutor one is going to see play in Commander for sure, and it’s basically never going to flip because 99% of the time it’s going to be getting a Thassa’s Oracle.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Jabor posted:

Huge foundational card for bad black control decks in standard. Will see loads of play.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The 1UB guy that lets you cast stuff from the Yard is very cool. It works on stuff with no cost like the Cascade payoffs, right?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Have Magic cards been spoiled in Forbes before? Was not expecting to see that at the top of the page.

I know #mtgfinance is a thing, but sheesh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Have Magic cards been spoiled in Forbes before? Was not expecting to see that at the top of the page.

Curtis Silver has, since October, written a shitton of magic articles so it's possible he's just been given pretty free reign

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is a busted card in limited (or “limited”).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are those legends in the set itself or are they "bonus" non-standard-legal cards like the ragavan etc cards

If my boy kroxa returned to standard I'd be playing every day again

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They may never unban Dark Depths, but maybe Vampire Hexmage will finally get its time to shine in Modern.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

Are those legends in the set itself or are they "bonus" non-standard-legal cards like the ragavan etc cards

If my boy kroxa returned to standard I'd be playing every day again

P sure they're like the reprinted Praetors in ONE, legal in draft (if they're in draft boosters) but not standard

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just like the bonus artifacts in BRO, praetors in ONE, Dark Ritual in Strixhaven, bonus sheets in SIR (aren't legal in explorer even though the rest of the set is because they're from OG Innistrad)

They're going to keep doing this, it works the same way every time.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Apparently the key art depicting multiple legends climbing Realmbreaker was supposed to be 'symbolic'. I don't like to be a negative Nancy because god knows we get enough of that, but I really think it was just a fuckup, it doesn't even come close to depicting anything that happens in the actual story. I still think it's possible for Aftermath to reveal that Realmbreaker has - at least partially - stayed up, but if that doesn't happen I think a number of people will feel misled by something WotC didn't mean to imply.

I wonder if that art is closer to an earlier version of the set that did include multiversal team-ups, but that would raise the question of why they walked it back. Probably won't find out

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fatherboxx posted:

Halo Forager looks good, even if the colors are unusual - isnt it usually R that cheats spells from grave?

The key there is it's any graveyard, and Dimir specifically loves casting other people's poo poo.

Memory Plunder is a good example of stealing Instants and Sorceries specifically from the GY.

I only know this because I just built a Tasha Commander deck.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

fadam posted:

The 1UB guy that lets you cast stuff from the Yard is very cool. It works on stuff with no cost like the Cascade payoffs, right?

very cool that you can cast a card in any graveyard, seems pretty good and will probably be a strong cube card too

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They made a convoke commander without green and brought back the worst mechanic of all time (eminence)

Also the New Phyrexia battle 100% flips into a Teferi

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Apparently the key art depicting multiple legends climbing Realmbreaker was supposed to be 'symbolic'. I don't like to be a negative Nancy because god knows we get enough of that, but I really think it was just a fuckup, it doesn't even come close to depicting anything that happens in the actual story. I still think it's possible for Aftermath to reveal that Realmbreaker has - at least partially - stayed up, but if that doesn't happen I think a number of people will feel misled by something WotC didn't mean to imply.

I wonder if that art is closer to an earlier version of the set that did include multiversal team-ups, but that would raise the question of why they walked it back. Probably won't find out

Probably too close to the Avengers portal scene for comfort.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Found a body count tracker for the MoM story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/124voj3/march_of_the_machine_body_count/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I guess the elephant guy from Strixhaven is a Planeswalker now.

My call for the next Saga is that Rowan is going to turn into Dark Phoenix.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This is all so loving stupid. Everything. Basically all the compleated planeswalkers magically regrow all their skin and organs and get better? Wrenn is Groot? It happens over the course of 1 set? They overcorrected from making Chandra straight in WAR, and now made her a lesbian instead of bi like she originally was written? Jace still exists? Is all the magic story ghostwritten by AI now?

Is there a single decision they made that isn't the stupidest decision they could have made?

At least as far as the story goes. Mechanically the set looks cool.

!Klams posted:

Really sad. Such a low body count! I thought this was meant to be like the big showdown? Feels like the big showdown at the end of a (Non Marvel) Disney film, just zero stakes and tons of day-saving Deus Ex Machina. I really don't like the way they set this up. New Phyrexia didn't feel (to me) like the Phyrexians 'winning', or like, an imposing threat, it just felt like a roll call?

ONE: "Look at all these Phyrexians!"
MOM: "They're all dead now, yaaaay!"

I think in fairness though it's the old problem of not having 3 sets to a block any more. You can't really have a beginning a middle and an end. We needed a set that was super doom and gloom that also had battles in it, really, to convey the sense that there was any struggle. To have the battle set also be the victory set kinda makes it feel like the Phyrexians just got a drubbing everywhere all over the place.

There's nothing stopping them from carrying a story across 4 or 5 sets without blocks though. That was their rationale when they moved away from blocks! Like the most recent 3 Ravnica sets were basically a block except they didn't make us draft them together.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 29, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fadam posted:

Found a body count tracker for the MoM story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/124voj3/march_of_the_machine_body_count/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I guess the elephant guy from Strixhaven is a Planeswalker now.

My call for the next Saga is that Rowan is going to turn into Dark Phoenix.

Really sad. Such a low body count! I thought this was meant to be like the big showdown? Feels like the big showdown at the end of a (Non Marvel) Disney film, just zero stakes and tons of day-saving Deus Ex Machina. I really don't like the way they set this up. New Phyrexia didn't feel (to me) like the Phyrexians 'winning', or like, an imposing threat, it just felt like a roll call?

ONE: "Look at all these Phyrexians!"
MOM: "They're all dead now, yaaaay!"

I think in fairness though it's the old problem of not having 3 sets to a block any more. You can't really have a beginning a middle and an end. We needed a set that was super doom and gloom that also had battles in it, really, to convey the sense that there was any struggle. To have the battle set also be the victory set kinda makes it feel like the Phyrexians just got a drubbing everywhere all over the place.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You don't need to have a supermassive body count to make the stakes feel like they paid off, but no one gives a gently caress about Tibalt and Luka dying embarrassingly was always inevitable. Some of the consequences make sense and could be interesting down the line, but probably needed something a little more biting. Maybe Ajani and/or Nissa don't get successfully restored?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

A Moose posted:

They overcorrected from making Chandra straight in WAR, and now made her a lesbian instead of bi like she originally was written?

Where did they say that?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
ajani at the very least is still metal, but is also shiny

quote:

As he watches, the glow ripples through Ajani. Wherever it goes, it leaves their skin brighter and removes the sinister luster Phyrexia has impressed upon them. The metal that remains is nearly as pure as moonsilver.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Where did they say that?

Well, she was always written as being bi, but in WAR they made her completely straight and they never officially retconned her being straight in that trash fire novel, and now they seem to have decided that she only likes women.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Sorry, I meant where did they say she's only attracted to women. I admit I didn't actually read most of the stories

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s also possible, in fact even likely, that we will see some of the negative or unexpected consequences of the invasion take shape over the next year or two.

Not everything has to happen right now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if only there was some kind of product being released that could convey the immediate aftermath of the set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

if only there was some kind of product being released that could convey the immediate aftermath of the set

Its still kinda weird if the only changes come in the aftermath. you'd think a little more would happen during the invasion itself.