Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Martian posted:

Not my own picture but a promotional one, but we use one of these (Thule Coaster XT) to take the kids to daycare on our way to work. It's also great when we go grocery shopping, because you can easily detach it from the bike, then it becomes a big stroller that you can take into the store. It has even has a small 'trunk' behind the bench for the groceries. Are these a thing at all in the US?

E: it's also surprisingly light!

They exist in the US but they're not terribly common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Martian posted:

Not my own picture but a promotional one, but we use one of these (Thule Coaster XT) to take the kids to daycare on our way to work. It's also great when we go grocery shopping, because you can easily detach it from the bike, then it becomes a big stroller that you can take into the store. It has even has a small 'trunk' behind the bench for the groceries. Are these a thing at all in the US?

E: it's also surprisingly light!

you're welcome to risk your own life and brave the US urban bike lanes but to bring an innocent toddler along is criminally negligent

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the only ones I have ever seen in the wild (i.e. not in a store) were on suburban cul de sacs in upper middle class neighborhoods and in the parks attached to those neighborhoods, anything else would generally involve way too much travel in close proximity to high speed traffic for any sane person to want to bring their toddler

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Martian posted:

not in the US, but these trailers are too big for most of the grocery stores in my city to use as a cart. I don't think I've ever seen one indoors except at like home and garden centers. but I am happy to see more and more bike parking specifically for cargo bikes or bike+trailers around

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

So is anyone ever going to do anything about AnimeIsTrash's incessant trolling, or is that mod-sanctioned trolling?

AiT posts "cars ftw" once a day. You'll be fine lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

it's some kind of... automotive insanity

lmao could you imagine if the i hate cars posters were making GBS threads up AI threads and how fast the sanctioning would come

edit: actually maybe they are chill I dunno I never go in that subforum

edit 2: burley trailers et al are great but I think these days most people are carting around their kids on the back of their rad wagon or their Yepp bike seats. I think the Urban Arrow or other bakfiet style bikes are the best for this kind of thing

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Mar 29, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

you're welcome to risk your own life and brave the US urban bike lanes but to bring an innocent toddler along is criminally negligent

Can't figure out how I feel about this.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can't figure out how I feel about this.

it's a classic case of car brain, one of the most common kinds tbh

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it's a classic case of car brain, one of the most common kinds tbh

killing my child to own the car brains

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

carbrainishly telling people that riding a bike with their kid is homicide

Cars have really scrambled some brains. Especially us Americans

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
why, you're just a negligent parent if you don't get the biggest SUV you can afford and use it to drive a half mile to drop off and pick your kid up from school

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

okay again, the car would be the thing killing you. you don't deserve to die for riding a bike in the street, you understand that right?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

why, you're just a negligent parent if you don't get the biggest SUV you can afford and use it to drive a half mile to drop off and pick your kid up from school

the only 2 options

which way western man

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

okay again, the car would be the thing killing you. you don't deserve to die for riding a bike in the street, you understand that right?

it is possible to be both correct and dead at the same time!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

what thread are you in

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

what you are describing/promoting but don't realize is called authoritative car culture. I think you might be in the wrong thread!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

what you are describing/promoting but don't realize is called authoritative car culture. I think you might be in the wrong thread!

tell it sis!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cars are fail

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

you can agree a dangerous situation shouldn't exist without putting a child's life at risk to prove the point. sorry if this is 2 controversial 4 u

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can agree a dangerous situation shouldn't exist without putting a child's life at risk to prove the point. sorry if this is 2 controversial 4 u

aids

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
riding a bike isn't literal suicide jfc you are so mixed up

"cars are so dangerous the only logical conclusion is everyone should drive everywhere!"

gently caress off!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

oh my god man shut the gently caress up already

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gbs brain

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
calling the cops on my neighbor for letting her kids walk home from school, she's a negligent parent they could get hit by a car

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

calling the cops on my neighbor for letting her kids walk home from school, she's a negligent parent they could get hit by a car

i have dated multiple people who have worked in child-focused social services and this call happens with alarming frequency

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

calling the cops on someone is more negligent then putting a kid in a bike carrier on a busy road. bad analogy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh i know, there was an article in this thread about a mom who got arrested for letting her son out of the car three blocks from home to walk lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My children are fedaykin for cycle culture and if yours aren't you are a bad parent.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cars are killing machines

y'all are doing a no-growth by not driving one

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Catch y'all in the bike and aviation threads, unbookmarking this one. :sadwave:

Can't say I blame you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

another day, another massive crash inside the tunnels that are the only link between downtown and the eastern suburbs, increasing everyone's commute coming in that way by over an hour. Wonder how long people are gonna keep doing this daily car commute thing.

The Martin Luther King Jr busway completely bypasses that tunnel but the commuters are too good to take the bus for some reason

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

But remember, it's the people in this thread who are the psychos.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

So is anyone ever going to do anything about AnimeIsTrash's incessant trolling, or is that mod-sanctioned trolling?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

another day, another massive crash inside the tunnels that are the only link between downtown and the eastern suburbs, increasing everyone's commute coming in that way by over an hour. Wonder how long people are gonna keep doing this daily car commute thing.

The Martin Luther King Jr busway completely bypasses that tunnel but the commuters are too good to take the bus for some reason

I watch the local news every morning, and one of the main segments that they switch to constantly is the traffic updates (Imagine getting a degree in meteorology and then getting stuck giving traffic updates every day). This is Atlanta, so there are like 4 million people all converging on the city from the larger metro area, and they all get stuck in the same traffic. Atlanta is supposed to be a major city, but look at this poo poo -- this is not how a major city should function:

Apr 7, 2003

I'm well aware of what your typical Atlanta suburbanite thinks MARTA stands for

also 3.5%, good lord

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It would have been loving thrilling and a source of joy to ride in the back of a cargo bike as a kid rather than being stuffed into the backseat of a Toyota 8 times a day

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

"changing" lol

Apr 7, 2003

Atlanta seems like an utter hellscape stuck in a past where cars are always going to be cheap and freely available. That new development they built for the Braves' stadium is straight out of 1970s-1980s planning.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I moved to Boise last year to be closer to family and while it remains an extremely car dependent city I've been pleasantly surprised by how bike friendly the downtown core is. There are some separated bike lanes, lots of bike parking, and it's pretty well utilized as well. There's a 21-mile greenbelt that a lot of people use for commuting which is well maintained and I see people with kids in seats and trailers every day when I walk my dog along it. Don't get me wrong, public transit may as well not exist and a ton of the city remains effectively inaccessible without a car, but it's reassuring to know that even in a city this in love with cars there's the possibility of growing other transportation methods alongside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Boise is 90% white. For some reason it's easy to get good infrastructure built in primarily white cities. Makes u think