Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Offler posted:

Just the dumbest, most pathetic collection of humans anywhere on the web right now.

Not true. Example; This thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
This is a legacy forum. It may or may not be notable.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

jeffreyw posted:

Vox has a recent article about this. They’re open to return but a lot won’t because Musk completely broke Twitter, there’s no support staff and the support staff keeps getting laid off, and actual engagement on Twitter was already dogshit before Musk wrecked discoverability even further.

So Musk is technically correct but you can also see how much pure copium he’s huffing when making these claims.

Here's the article in case anyone's interested - Why advertisers aren’t coming back to Twitter .

Vox posted:

Twitter did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Musk, however, discussed the company’s relationship with advertisers who may be hesitant to return to the platform in an interview at a Morgan Stanley conference earlier this month.

“What I’d say to advertisers and brands is: Use Twitter for yourself and believe what you see on Twitter, not what you read in the newspapers,” said Musk. “Because what you see on Twitter is the real thing and what you read in newspapers is not.” Musk said that hate speech on Twitter is actually lower than it was before he took over and that brands worried about their reputation can choose what kind of tweets they want to run their ads next to. Several recent outside studies have found a sustained increase in hate speech such as anti-LGBTQ and antisemitic slurs in the months since Musk took over, but Twitter has said that the “reach” of hate speech, or how much it’s being seen, has decreased (which is hard to verify independently without access to Twitter’s data).

Hahaha, his pitch to them is pretty much "Trust me, bro."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, his pitch to them is "do your own research". It's just more trust erosion bullshit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Calling it now, he's not going to remove the legacy blue ticks on April 1.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

salt shakeup posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

salt shakeup posted:

It's your salty jealous attitude preventing you from knuckling down, focusing and becoming successful, so you will never be like Elon. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

we got a real loser here folks

Edit: they’re a bitcoin huffer and NFT shill :lol:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 29, 2023

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Calling it now, he's not going to remove the legacy blue ticks on April 1.

April fool's! Gottem!! 🤣🤣

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
No matter how hard I focus, for some reason my parents still don't own a emerald mine forty years ago under apartheid. What am I doing wrong?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lol:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

salt shakeup posted:

: - )

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's going to turn it off by killing some processes and break a chunk of user auth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fentry posted:

Anyone who has at any point considered paying for twitter is incredibly dumb

It's still amazingly on brand that a tech bro would buy a free app and immediately try to figure out how to get rent from the users. Uber and AirBnB getting those huge valuations really just broke the brains of every money guy in Silicon Valley to the point where the only way they think you can run a company is by getting cash for doing nothing but providing a connection between people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah, the "please stop advancing so we can catch up" gambit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The little boy who cried "threat to society!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is there a running tally of people who have been straight up killed by FSD? Preferably one that counts all the "steering disengaged 0.1 seconds before impact, driver was at fault" reports from Tesla?

somehow I suspect that number to be a lot greater than the amount of people who have been killed by chatbots

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chances that he's freaking out about the Trump getting arrested AI photos and he's terrified of what's in store for himself

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So the open letter's here: https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

And here's what they're asking for: "Therefore, we call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4 This pause should be public and verifiable, and include all key actors. If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium."

So yeah this open letter isn't specifically targeting anything in particular obviously!!!

Sad to see Wozniak signed such a pointless open letter though.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

That is some pretty strong shade for a headline. Musk, experts argue....
Because they don't want to be called out for calling musk an expert on anything

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's telling that the call is for everyone to just stop and not to set up an independent ethics panel or anything wild like that. Just stop for a while guys, things will be different in 6 months

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a call to not do anything more advanced than the current, not to stop. It's a 6 month period for catching up and making the cutting edge overcrowded.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Imagine how pissed off Lonnie would be if the media suddenly stopped covering him but shined the spotlight on everything cowboy brother says, while still just referring to him only as "Musk"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

That picture looks great thumbnailed and more websites should use it

It looks like he's got worms under his skin

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The comma, jfc

Kale
May 14, 2010

Offler posted:

Muskriders in the replies are salty, especially once M-W made a reply that only read "Looking into it" - making it very clear who they were parodying. So one of them fired back with this

Just the dumbest, most pathetic collection of humans anywhere on the web right now.

-Concerning-

adjective
: causing concern or worry : creating reason for concern : TROUBLING
"found the latest reports very concerning"
"It's extremely concerning that drivers still choose to give their attention to things other than the road when they're behind the wheel," said [Texas Department of Transportation] Executive Director James Bass.
—The Nueces County Record Star
… "carbapenems should not be administered to patients with positive penicillin skin test results or a concerning history of a type I allergic response to penicillin."
—Alan R. Salkind et al.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

It's a call to not do anything more advanced than the current, not to stop. It's a 6 month period for catching up and making the cutting edge overcrowded.

It's really difficult to read it as anything more than "we need six months to catch up and it's not fair you guys are ahead of us already."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why is a pause necessary

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
because these losers have fallen behind and want to catch up, they're barely even pretending otherwise; they're literally saying people should stop when they get to GPT4's level and everyone below that is fine

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of the experts are probably worried about real-world regulatory and legal concerns. Elon isn't the ethics type.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Lazyfire posted:

It's really difficult to read it as anything more than "we need six months to catch up and it's not fair you guys are ahead of us already."

That’s how I read it too; you guys are so far ahead of us so don’t do anything more than GPT4 for six months while we try to get up to speed with my “woke ai”.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

goatface posted:

Some of the experts are probably worried about real-world regulatory and legal concerns. Elon isn't the ethics type.

That's a fair concern, but I really don't buy it when they specifically aim it at GPT-4. A predictive token generator is nowhere near the most harmful or dangerous AI on the market today. Like, unless they know something about its capabilities that we (or at least I) don't, it is a farcical claim.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why is a pause necessary

So we can figure out what the hell is going on

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Here's the article in case anyone's interested - Why advertisers aren’t coming back to Twitter .

Hahaha, his pitch to them is pretty much "Trust me, bro."

Don't trust the newspapers when they say we're full of Nazis. Read Twitter instead where you can see Nazi content get boosted!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I saw the telsa investor day video with the robot arm.

it was COOL!!

sure it was fake as hell but still cool

elon needs to build spider bots

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but when they pull all legacy verified checks, what’s to stop people going wild on impersonating again?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Elon, I'm incredibly disappointed in you. How hard can it be to come up with an AI that tells the truth about the pure white race? Meanwhile, we have a woke AI that won't even give an opinion about whether the Italians or French are "real whites".

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Crackbone posted:

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but when they pull all legacy verified checks, what’s to stop people going wild on impersonating again?

That's negative thinking. Let's try to stay positive here OK?! Uhm err impersonation won't be a problem once we get rid of the bots. Moving forward I think uhhhhh we're going to purge all non-verified users from the site. that will deal with the bot problem.........and....... ipso facto the impersonation problem. It will basically solve itself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crackbone posted:

💩

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
They are worried that SHODAN is already online, while their SKYNET system languishes in development hell sorting out how to most efficiently murder children in the coming machine revolt.

This is like that rear end in a top hat that insists on making everyone play Monopoly, and then starts introducing house rules every couple of turns to "make the game more fair and fun for all of us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Crackbone posted:

Businesses are going to have to pay the $1000 a month toll not to get Eli Lilly'd. It's extortion.

Elon doesn't care if individuals get impersonated. He'll whip up his followers as this is some sort of comeuppance to those elitist legacy accounts who think they are better than you.