Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm asking DV to provide people with some reason to feel hopeful rather than scolding them for feeling hopeless.

e: Like I said, mass shootings have been a major problem for 25 years. The majority of the population support gun control, but somehow this has not translated to meaningful legislation. You can't lay the blame entirely on the Republicans, because the Democrats have had opportunities in the past but have squandered them.

I'm not saying that people should feel hopeless, to be clear. But I don't think it's very helpful to make sarcastic comments about spreading "futility rhetoric".

A bunch of gun control laws were passed just in the last year. I know we've had this conversation before, and I know you know I have provided a whole effortpost description of how this framing is used to derail discussion of policy change, including specific examples from the NRA. I also know you know that setting "reason to feel hope" as a standard for proof shuts down discussion because it's unfalsifiable, just like shifting your standard to "meaningful" legislation is. It's also why blaming "politicians" is nonsense when, as we've also already covered, it's overwhelmingly the Republicans and specifically their control of the courts that are keeping gun control laws from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have probably mentioned this in other threads but every victim of gun violence got together to form a lobby and bribed every pro gun politician one dollar more than the NRA then gun reform would happen the next day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Madkal posted:

I have probably mentioned this in other threads but every victim of gun violence got together to form a lobby and bribed every pro gun politician one dollar more than the NRA then gun reform would happen the next day.

The gun lobby isn't particularly driven through donations- they have been effective through tying themselves to right wing cultural issues such that their constituency serves as a conservative voting bloc. That is, again, why there is such a concerted effort to tie the issue to other culture war elements that had served as wedge issues, a pattern that emerged with the revolt at Cincinnati in 1977. Pro-gun politicians are concerned that they will lose elections for compromising on gun control, far more than that they will lose dollars. The industry itself is too unstable financially- which is part of why its power has continued to weaken, helped by the NRA's gradual self-destruction.

...I should do some effortposting on feedback forces and radicalization in trade associations sometime, the NRA's instructive of broader phenomena.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 29, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

A bunch of gun control laws were passed just in the last year. I know we've had this conversation before, and I know you know I have provided a whole effortpost description of how this framing is used to derail discussion of policy change, including specific examples from the NRA. I also know you know that setting "reason to feel hope" as a standard for proof shuts down discussion because it's unfalsifiable, just like shifting your standard to "meaningful" legislation is. It's also why blaming "politicians" is nonsense when, as we've also already covered, it's overwhelmingly the Republicans and specifically their control of the courts that are keeping gun control laws from happening.

I'm not asking you to prove anything. Because yeah, of course hope isn't something you can prove. I'm not trying to have a debate with you. Just... have a normal conversation, please. I promise I'm not trolling you or whatever.

I know that you're concerned about the feeling of futility being spread. I believe you. The problem though, as I see it, is that you're not helping to stop it. Sarcastically dismissing genuine concern as repeating gun lobby lines doesn't make anyone feel like things aren't futile, and it might just have the opposite effect.

It's good that new gun control legislation is being passed. But it's obviously not enough, because mass shootings and gun deaths are still outrageously high. Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we should give up on this. We both want the same thing, but where we disagree is on how quickly it should come about. I think that more pressure needs to be placed on politicians to pass more and better legislation. Especially on democrats, not because lol dems suck or whatever, but because they can actually be pressured. And if gop control of the courts is hampering progress, then something needs to be done about that.

I know that you are very knowledgeable on legal matters. But I'd politely ask that you consider that knowledge isn't everything. There are many intangible, unquantifiable things, like hope, that are nonetheless important in driving political action.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not asking you to prove anything. Because yeah, of course hope isn't something you can prove. I'm not trying to have a debate with you. Just... have a normal conversation, please. I promise I'm not trolling you or whatever.

I know that you're concerned about the feeling of futility being spread. I believe you. The problem though, as I see it, is that you're not helping to stop it. Sarcastically dismissing genuine concern as repeating gun lobby lines doesn't make anyone feel like things aren't futile, and it might just have the opposite effect.

It's good that new gun control legislation is being passed. But it's obviously not enough, because mass shootings and gun deaths are still outrageously high. Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we should give up on this. We both want the same thing, but where we disagree is on how quickly it should come about. I think that more pressure needs to be placed on politicians to pass more and better legislation. Especially on democrats, not because lol dems suck or whatever, but because they can actually be pressured. And if gop control of the courts is hampering progress, then something needs to be done about that.

I know that you are very knowledgeable on legal matters. But I'd politely ask that you consider that knowledge isn't everything. There are many intangible, unquantifiable things, like hope, that are nonetheless important in driving political action.

"I'm too doomerized to bother with evidence, so please don't interrupt when I make forlorn shitposts" is, unfortunately, not a new one in this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That opening paragraph to the article is a doozy:

quote:

Several high-profile mass shootings and a sustained rise in gun violence across the United States in 2022 have spurred law enforcement officials and lawmakers to push for more gun control measures.

President Joe Biden in June signed into law the first major gun safety legislation passed in decades. The measure failed to ban any weapons, but it includes funding for school safety and state crisis intervention programs. Many states – including California, Delaware and New York – have also passed new laws to help curb gun violence, such as regulating untraceable ghost guns and strengthening background check systems.

Afaik none of the weapons used in mass shootings are untraceable. Even if they were, mass shooters usually end up surrendering or committing suicide/suicide by cop so idk why traceability would even matter. Many of those legislations include "ghost guns" which idgaf about. Most mass shooters really don't care about getting caught, they usually plan to kill themselves anyway.

At this point mass shootings are so common they're rarely the top story (if they even make national news) unless there's something weird about it like uvalde. I looked through most of those legislations and very few of them seemed particularly helpful in preventing them. Even raising the age of semi-auto firearms purchasers is kind of worthless when parents buy the weapons for their kids.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

That makes some of their voters get a sad, which must be avoided at all costs.

If they just pretend it will be fine.

Which of their voters? Despite the frankly pathetic efforts of their non-piece of poo poo friends and family to try to explain away the clear and present evil of the Republicans they happen to love, I honestly don't think there would be a single one who gave a gently caress at this point. What is there left of the mask?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DarkCrawler posted:

Which of their voters? Despite the frankly pathetic efforts of their non-piece of poo poo friends and family to try to explain away the clear and present evil of the Republicans they happen to love, I honestly don't think there would be a single one who gave a gently caress at this point. What is there left of the mask?

People vote for evil poo poo telling themselves they're good people. Even if that fig leaf is paper thin.

The slight distance of not saying it out loud matters to those people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also can't be emphasised enough that the right cares about aesthetics and vibes an order of magnitude more than actual action and policy. 'Virtue signalling', while in part accurately identifying a lot of liberal behaviour, is also wild projection of their own behaviour. Hypocrisy is their comfort zone, the cruelty is the point, their professed ideals exist solely as a trap to make you waste your time and effort on trying to punch fog.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Name Change posted:

"I'm too doomerized to bother with evidence, so please don't interrupt when I make forlorn shitposts" is, unfortunately, not a new one in this thread

That's not what Fister was saying. They were trying to appeal to DV's humanity while complimenting them on their decisive and thoroughly logical approach, while suggesting that being more empathetic in their prose would improve DV's arguments by making them more palatable and more understandable to a wider audience.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

At this point mass shootings are so common they're rarely the top story (if they even make national news) unless there's something weird about it like uvalde. I looked through most of those legislations and very few of them seemed particularly helpful in preventing them. Even raising the age of semi-auto firearms purchasers is kind of worthless when parents buy the weapons for their kids.

I may be simple, but it seems the answer to the problem is the one every other country did. Ban the guns. Just because the right thing is unpopular doesn't make it wrong.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also can't be emphasised enough that the right cares about aesthetics and vibes an order of magnitude more than actual action and policy. 'Virtue signalling', while in part accurately identifying a lot of liberal behaviour, is also wild projection of their own behaviour. Hypocrisy is their comfort zone, the cruelty is the point, their professed ideals exist solely as a trap to make you waste your time and effort on trying to punch fog.

I think everyone cares about aesthetics. Probably to a larger degree than seems reasonable. Studies have consistently shown that people hear about something and then look to thought leaders (or people they think are thought leaders) to decide what they think about it, even if they never look into the matter with any kind of depth whatsoever. There's an appeal to being a right-thinking person because it gives you social status and is very useful in getting people you don't like angry (or shutting them down).

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

haveblue posted:

It’s a well-established principle that republicans only care about something when they have a strong personal connection to it, and, well, a lot of them have children in school

Yeah, but they usually have their kids in "good" / private schools.
I mean, I don't have the numbers so correct me if I'm wrong, but the schools getting shot up are your bog standard public schools, aren't they? Not usually the schools in the rich neighborhoods where a politician is going to have their kids.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
One of the kids killed in Nashville was the child of a radiologist who works with my wife. Green Hills is not a poor area

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

the_steve posted:

I mean, I don't have the numbers so correct me if I'm wrong, but the schools getting shot up are your bog standard public schools, aren't they? Not usually the schools in the rich neighborhoods where a politician is going to have their kids.

I don’t have numbers on me but the most recent school shooting—the one kicking off this conversation—was a private religious school. So that’s at least one non-public school that got shot up.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

One of the kids killed in Nashville was the child of a radiologist who works with my wife. Green Hills is not a poor area

Yeah I saw a video of the neighborhood the shooter—who attended the school—lived in, and it definitely appeared to be upper-middle-class.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 29, 2023

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

the_steve posted:

Maybe they were referring to the voters instead of the politicians? Either way they literally don't give a slightest poo poo about dead children who are not theirs, and honestly don't seem to care that much about their own children either considering the recent years.

Jaxyon posted:

People vote for evil poo poo telling themselves they're good people. Even if that fig leaf is paper thin.

The slight distance of not saying it out loud matters to those people.

I feel like there has been so much poo poo said out loud lately that they would find a way to cope with this too. Empathy is largely a weakness for Republicans.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The large problem with "stopping" shootings is that you can't, at least not entirely. There are dozens of things you can do to minimize shootings such as safe storage laws, domestic violence gun revocation, and mental health services expansion. But none of those truly *prevent* shootings one hundred percent and that makes them sound like half measures, meaning they get very little play. Ultimately if someone is motivated enough then they could do it, because it is a cultural problem, not a legislative one.

People don't want to hear "this will cut shootings by 80%", because that isn't far enough. But even if you go full on "the police keep us safe, melt all privately held guns in America" confiscation (which will never happen) then there will *still* be at least some shootings from the people who are still allowed to have guns.

The only way to actually fix this is a fundamental shift in how we interact with firearms as a culture and good loving luck on that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth emphasizing that gun control is generally popular- the issue is the distribution of Republican voters on the subject.

This is definitely a factor, in fact Nashville itself was gerrymandered to hell a few years ago. Not that it was ever the deepest of deep blue areas, and not to say this only happens in places with tight gun laws because people can easily cross state lines anyway... but for what it's worth, it got truly eviscerated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In somewhat funny news, abortion is legal in Wyoming again because of an anti-obamacare law.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/24/wyoming-abortion-ban-blocked-due-to-obamacare-era-amendment.html

Short version

1. Years ago Wyoming passes an anti-ACA constitutional amendment that says that citizens have the fundamental right to make decisions over their own Healthcare.

2. Judge says "Abortions can only be performed by doctors, so they're healthcare, and the constitution says that citizens can make their own decisions about that."

3. Abortion legal again (at least for now)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That opening paragraph to the article is a doozy:

Afaik none of the weapons used in mass shootings are untraceable. Even if they were, mass shooters usually end up surrendering or committing suicide/suicide by cop so idk why traceability would even matter. Many of those legislations include "ghost guns" which idgaf about. Most mass shooters really don't care about getting caught, they usually plan to kill themselves anyway.

Would you mind please including a link to the source material when you quote it?

I agree with your overall point. Although, ghost guns are being frequently used in shootings involving drugs and crime. According to the ATF, several cities had up to 20% of their shootings involve ghost guns in 2021.

However, you're right that they aren't being used very often at all for mass shootings. According to ABC, there have been 4 school shootings that involved ghost guns in the last two years and one non-school mass shooting in Sacramento.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ghost-guns-showing-school-shootings-experts-fear-trend/story?id=83346844

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The large problem with "stopping" shootings is that you can't, at least not entirely. There are dozens of things you can do to minimize shootings such as safe storage laws, domestic violence gun revocation, and mental health services expansion. But none of those truly *prevent* shootings one hundred percent and that makes them sound like half measures, meaning they get very little play. Ultimately if someone is motivated enough then they could do it, because it is a cultural problem, not a legislative one.

People don't want to hear "this will cut shootings by 80%", because that isn't far enough. But even if you go full on "the police keep us safe, melt all privately held guns in America" confiscation (which will never happen) then there will *still* be at least some shootings from the people who are still allowed to have guns.

The only way to actually fix this is a fundamental shift in how we interact with firearms as a culture and good loving luck on that.

I’m confused on who your post is directed at. Are you directing this at a poster ITT or saying that the populace don’t care about gun safety if it’s not 100% effective, but otherwise would? Or someone else?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Would you mind please including a link to the source material when you quote it?
Oh, sorry. It's this one:

Discendo Vox posted:

A bunch of gun control laws were passed just in the last year. I know we've had this conversation before, and I know you know I have provided a

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think anyone thinks that they will stop 100% of shootings. Even places like Japan (which is an island nation making it very difficult to smuggle in guns, has incredibly strict gun control, no civilian gun culture, and very strict laws about gun sales and imports) have a few occasional gun deaths.

But, you can reduce them dramatically (especially the school shootings and domestic shootings that are usually only enabled because of the ease of having a gun that someone can just take or pick up in the house) by doing what every other country did:

- Ban the sale and manufacture of most handguns.
- Have a voluntary gun buyback.
- Confiscate and destroy all guns used in crimes or found during any investigations.
- Disallow inheriting guns that aren't antiques and ban private sales and gifts.
- Wait 10 years for most of the remaining guns to eventually filter out of the system.

You don't have to go door to door and confiscate everyone's guns or consider an 85% reduction in gun deaths a failure. Most other countries who implemented major gun control saw reductions between 50% and 80% and they are generally considered successful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kalit posted:

I’m confused on who your post is directed at. Are you directing this at a poster ITT or saying that the populace don’t care about gun safety if it’s not 100% effective, but otherwise would? Or someone else?

It was more of a comment of "why can't these things stick" in relation to several posts above.

My point is that proactive ideas tend to get more play than "limit these things and then hope for the best". Harm reduction is something that everyone knows it good from a logical standpoint but when there are bodies on the ground the question becomes "we already have these laws, why didn't they prevent this entirely".

It might be a strange thing to say, but I think that the reason why "arm teachers/more cops in schools" gets so much play in media goes beyond "more guns is safer" and goes into the idea of it being an active thing. If we accept that zero is not an achievable number then we can actively have armed people around and those people can actively stop the shooter. It's all smoke and mirror horseshit that implies that everyone is John Wick, but it *feels* better. On the other hand, a 80% reduction in shootings would be amazing but preventative laws tend to not be as...interesting? As other ones because they involve slamming a gate down and hoping it stops most people.

"Gun control/dealing with shooters" is a vague idea that most people like but the right engages with it from an emotional angle while the left engages from a statistical angle, as it always does, and it hampers the passage of laws as an effect. It's difficult for legislators to go in front of people and go "we'll cut down a lot on shootings but we can't do everything", even if it's a gigantic reduction and the best option.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 29, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's difficult for legislators to go in front of people and go "we'll cut down a lot on shootings but we can't do everything", even if it's a gigantic reduction.

It's significantly more difficult when they never bother to demonstrate or argue or even make an empty promise that it would be a gigantic reduction, it's usually "and it might do something maybe, every little bit helps right?". At least from what I've encountered in New England, the actual narrative being sold tends to make even meaningful gun control legislation feel anemic and symbolic, and driven primarily by the need to "do something" rather than by any belief that the something being done will actually help the problem.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CuddleCryptid posted:

In somewhat funny news, abortion is legal in Wyoming again because of an anti-obamacare law.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/24/wyoming-abortion-ban-blocked-due-to-obamacare-era-amendment.html

Short version

1. Years ago Wyoming passes an anti-ACA constitutional amendment that says that citizens have the fundamental right to make decisions over their own Healthcare.

2. Judge says "Abortions can only be performed by doctors, so they're healthcare, and the constitution says that citizens can make their own decisions about that."

3. Abortion legal again (at least for now)

Legal, but still a royal pain in the rear end to get. The only functioning clinic is in Jackson, a ski resort town one of the wealthiest communities in the country. Another one is under construction in Casper, but that's been halted because of recent arson.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

These poll results aren't really new and are kind of infamous, but the trend of the last 30 years or so where large majorities of Americans desperately want completely contradictory things is still holding strong.

Huge majorities of people want to:

- Cut spending overall.
- Increase spending in every category, except for foreign aid.
- Cut taxes.
- Balance the budget.

all at the same time.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1641059731417513984

I'm kind of amused that the AP pretty much just lays it out in the first sentence:

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — In the federal budget standoff, the majority of U.S. adults are asking lawmakers to pull off the impossible: Cut the overall size of government, but also devote more money to the most popular and expensive programs.

Six in 10 U.S. adults say the government spends too much money. But majorities also favor more funding for infrastructure, health care and Social Security — the kind of commitments that would make efforts to shrink the government unworkable and politically risky ahead of the 2024 elections.

These findings from a new poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research show just how messy the financial tug-of-war between President Joe Biden and House Republicans could be. At stake is the full faith and credit of the federal government, which could default on its obligations unless there is a deal this summer to raise or suspend the limit on the government’s borrowing authority.

Biden this month proposed a budget that would trim deficits by nearly $3 trillion over 10 years, but his plan contains a mix of tax increases on the wealthy and new spending that led GOP lawmakers to declare it dead on arrival. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., is insisting on budget talks with the White House but has not produced a plan of his own to cut deficits, which Biden has said is a prerequisite for negotiations.

The new poll finds U.S. adults are closely divided over whether they want to see a bigger government offering more services or a smaller government offering fewer services. But a clear majority — 60% — say they think government is spending too much altogether. Just 16% say the government is spending too little, while 22% say spending levels are about right.

U.S. adults were previously less supportive of spending cuts, a possible sign of how the pandemic and a historic burst of aid to address it have reshaped politics. Compared with 60% now, 37% called for spending cuts in February 2020, as COVID-19 was beginning to spread throughout the U.S. By May, even fewer, 25%, wanted less spending, after the virus had forced major disruptions to public life, the economy and the health care system.

Retiree Peter Daniluk acknowledged the tensions over the federal budget by saying the government might be “a little too” large, but “you’ve got to spend money in order to make things better.” The 78-year-old from Dryden, New York, voted for Biden and believes there should be more funding for the environment and military, while also preserving Social Security and Medicare.

“The rich don’t pay enough of the taxes — that’s the problem,” he said. “They know how to get out of paying their proper share.”

Inflation jumped as the U.S. economy recovered from the pandemic. GOP lawmakers have blamed Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package for rising prices as they’ve pushed for spending cuts, while the president says inflation reflects global factors involving supply chains and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Federal expenditures are expected to be equal in size to roughly 24% of all U.S. economic activity for the next several years, a figure that will likely grow as an aging population leads to more spending on Social Security and Medicare. Government spending accounted for just 20.5% of U.S. gross domestic product a decade ago, according to the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Even if a majority of adults desire a tightened budget, the challenge for lawmakers trying to hash out an agreement is that the public also wants higher spending on a wide range of programs. While Biden rolled out a budget that would trim deficits largely through tax increases on the wealthy, GOP lawmakers have struggled so far to gel around a set of spending cuts — and even if they did, the White House is betting that their plan would upset voters.

Roughly 6 in 10 adults say the government is spending too little on education, health care, infrastructure and Social Security, as well as assistance to the poor and Medicare. About half say government is spending too little on border security, child care assistance, drug rehabilitation, the environment and law enforcement.

By comparison, a wide majority — 69% — say the U.S. is spending too much on assistance to other countries. But slashing foreign aid would have almost no impact on the overall size of the government, as it accounts for less than 1% of all federal spending, and major programs such as Social Security and Medicare are causing the government to grow in size over the next decade.

Glenn Cookinham, 43, of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, said inflation and health care expenses are major problems confronting the U.S. as a country right now. A Republican who views Biden as “OK,” Cookinham feels as though the U.S. could pull back on military funding to focus on its own internal challenges.

“I don’t think we should be the police for the rest of the world, really,” he said.

About a third of U.S. adults say spending on the military is too little and nearly as many say it’s too much; an additional third say it’s about right.

Bipartisan majorities back more spending on infrastructure and Social Security. But wide differences across party lines on other priorities could be a sticking point in budget talks.

Most Republicans say too much is spent on assistance to big cities (65% vs. just 19% of Democrats), and about half say too much is spent on the environment (51% vs. just 6% of Democrats). Republicans are more likely than Democrats to indicate that the military, law enforcement and border security are underfunded. By comparison, far more Democrats say too little is spent on aid for the poor (80% vs. 38% of Republicans), the environment (73% vs. 21% of Republicans), child care assistance (71% vs. 34% of Republicans), drug rehabilitation (67% vs. 36% of Republicans), and scientific research (54% vs. 24% of Republicans).

There is also a generational breakdown in terms of priorities. Young adults are more likely than older adults to say too little is spent on the environment and assistance to big cities, while more older adults say too little is spent on infrastructure, the military, law enforcement and border security. Young adults are especially likely to think too much is spent in those areas.

For those between the ages of 30-44, who are especially likely to have school-age children, there is a desire for the government to spend more on education.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

It's significantly more difficult when they never bother to demonstrate or argue or even make an empty promise that it would be a gigantic reduction, it's usually "and it might do something maybe, every little bit helps right?". At least from what I've encountered in New England, the actual narrative being sold tends to make even meaningful gun control legislation feel anemic and symbolic, and driven primarily by the need to "do something" rather than by any belief that the something being done will actually help the problem.

"Symbolic but not effective" tends to be the general vibe, yeah.

I do think that gun control advocates need to meet gun owners on the same level as well. Putting aside the "you just want a gun to feel like rambo" hyperbole, there's several laws that could be passed that most gun owners entirely agree with.

One big one that is being pushed in Michigan right now are safe storage laws, which yeah, if you own a gun then keep it secured. No brainer, most gun owners already do that, the nature of enforcement is in question but basically everyone that isn't completely lead brained can say that it's a good idea. And it would definitely lead to a reduction in shootings due to unsecured firearms.

But when the response is always "we must ban these weapons of war, bring back the assault weapon ban, etc etc" the response from gun owners is always going to be "what does a ban on pistol grips on rifles do to help prevent people from shooting elementary schoolers?" If you're couching your ideas in the aestetics rather than what the actual, practical effect of the law then your position is going to sound entirely symbolic.

Or in other words, a politician could say "we are going to limit magazine sizes to ten rounds and make it so that you can only use bolt action rifles and you can only buy twenty rounds a year" and to a lot of voters that will sound like "oh good, so they can only shoot twenty kids" even though that would be an incredible reduction in actual deaths.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

These poll results aren't really new and are kind of infamous, but the trend of the last 30 years or so where large majorities of Americans desperately want completely contradictory things is still holding strong.

- Cut spending overall.
- Cut taxes.
- Balance the budget.

This is a lot less contradictory when you recognize that the fully expanded statement is "Cut taxes for me".

I don't know why the Dems haven't bothered offering a plan that involves tax cuts for the majority of the population coupled with increased taxes on the wealthy so they could sell the whole thing as an important comprehensive tax reform under the label "Biden/Democrat Tax Cut", considering that seems to be a popular combination.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

- Cut spending overall.
- Cut taxes.
- Balance the budget.

all at the same time.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1641059731417513984

I'm kind of amused that the AP pretty much just lays it out in the first sentence:

Can't help but notice that it looks like this poll didn't ask people how they felt about military spending. You could cut military spending in half and easily make all the rest of those points presented as contradictory happen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The point of the "arm teachers/more cops in schools" messaging is it forces a reframing of the subject where gun control advocates have to argue against the pro-gun framing, shifting discussion away from gun control.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

- Cut spending overall.
- Cut taxes.
- Balance the budget.

all at the same time.

I'm kind of amused that the AP pretty much just lays it out in the first sentence: "WASHINGTON (AP) — In the federal budget standoff, the majority of U.S. adults are asking lawmakers to pull off the impossible: Cut the overall size of government, but also devote more money to the most popular and expensive programs."

I think this is pretty easily explained by the absurdly glaring omission of military spending (and to a lesser extent, police budgets). I don't think it's strange to think the government spends way too much in general and way too little on specific things.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

This is a lot less contradictory when you recognize that the fully expanded statement is "Cut taxes for me".

I don't know why the Dems haven't bothered offering a plan that involves tax cuts for the majority of the population coupled with increased taxes on the wealthy so they could sell the whole thing as an important comprehensive tax reform under the label "Biden/Democrat Tax Cut", considering that seems to be a popular combination.

You know why: capitalism + money in politics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Forum accident posted:

Can't help but notice that it looks like this poll didn't ask people how they felt about military spending. You could cut military spending in half and easily make all the rest of those points presented as contradictory happen.

Ershalim posted:

I think this is pretty easily explained by the absurdly glaring omission of military spending (and to a lesser extent, police budgets). I don't think it's strange to think the government spends way too much in general and way too little on specific things.

Unfortunately, no.

Military spending is also very popular.

Gallup's most recent poll from last month shows ~63% of Americans think current military spending is either too low or about right. Only 35% think it is too high.

Only 11% think our current national defense is "stronger than it needs to be," 44% say "not strong enough," and 44% say "about right."

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1666/military-national-defense.aspx

The only category of spending where a majority of Americans support cuts is "Foreign Aid."

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Unfortunately, no.

I see. Well, I retract my previous statement and instead would offer :d2a:. It's something of a derail, but I honestly believe that democracy is incapable of addressing systemic issues in part because living in a system apparently prevents the vast majority of people from being able to see it.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

This is a different poll though, isn't it? I just mean that military spending being left off of the original poll can explain the way it's being presented as contradictory.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Forum accident posted:

This is a different poll though, isn't it? I just mean that military spending being left off of the original poll can explain the way it's being presented as contradictory.

Yes, but the original poll did ask about a lot more categories. They just didn't include them all in the tweet graphic. They are described and listed in the article underneath that was copy and pasted.

Here's the crosstabs:

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

Yes, but the original poll did ask about a lot more categories. They just didn't include them all in the tweet graphic. They are described and listed in the article underneath that was copy and pasted.

Here's the crosstabs:

Ah, thanks, I didn't see that in the AP article.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

In graph form.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do wonder what the breakdown looks like - is it that most people want a few things cut, but the things they want cut all differ wildly?

Like if you're funding A, B, C and D, and have 4 people, and each of them thinks one of those needs to be cut completely and half its moneys moved to the thing of their choice, you'd have 75% thinking "good enough or more" for each item but 100% agreement that "the government spends too much"

Of course there's probably also just a lot of "I want stuff without having to pay for it" as well

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Probably going to regret asking this, but what exactly are the people saying we spend too little on border security complaining about? Do they want more camps, or more murders at the border, or some other thing that isn't occurring to me? I assume the question reads as border security [from Mexico], but is there another angle to it? Like, are people buying into copaganda that fentanyl from China is giving them Super Havana Syndrome or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

I do wonder what the breakdown looks like - is it that most people want a few things cut, but the things they want cut all differ wildly?

Pretty much. The only universal belief is that the government spends way too much money on things that aren't that important. Everyone differs on what the things are