Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I beat Space Exploration. I enjoyed it, Arcospheres were the most satisfying part. Lost ~10k total logistics bots to attrition, entirely from Nauvis & Space base, but that worked out to like 1 bot every ~3 seconds which is nothing especially considering how heavily I was using them for mall stuff.

Thinking about doing a Nullius or Rampant run next, any recommendations for either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Darox posted:

Thinking about doing a Nullius or Rampant run next, any recommendations for either?

I really enjoyed Nullius although be warned it is "byproducts the game" although unlike other mods everything is eventually useful. My favorite part is that new recipes are almost always better in abstract, but may not be better for you yet.

I'd recommend the Nullius Momenti pack if not the maximal one to ease some of the pipe/belt/insert er pain points. Also check it out the FAQ as it has some gameplay tips after the first couple of entries.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Well Planner: Same but or oil wells, bonus because there's no way to "blueprint" pumpjack layouts, so it's either this or totally manually.

I made a 50x50 or so blueprint of pump jacks. It will only place the jacks on oil, so you can just move it over the patch and click once.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've seen that trick as well, but this will also connect all the pipes, which is pain in the rear end part for me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The madman is back and he's brought jumping trains with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWc9YbyJGYo

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KillHour posted:

Dude makes some good videos, will have to watch this later!

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

KillHour posted:

After seeing what he did to fuel a 4x4 reactor setup, I had to stop the video and take a hard look in the distance of how insanely brilliant this guy is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nullEntityRNG posted:

After seeing what he did to fuel a 4x4 reactor setup, I had to stop the video and take a hard look in the distance of how insanely brilliant this guy is.

He did a lot of things in this video that I openly admit would have never even occurred to me. Like using the trains as an actual artillery round loaded with grenades and dynamite. He's a lot more creative than I am and uses the circuit network to amazing effect, whereas I almost completely ignore the circuit network beyond the most basic stuff.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

You have to recalculate when things like "the roboport you planned on charging at gets filled up with other charging bots". Or "Any roboport anywhere now has a free charging slot and might be a faster route".

Both these are solved with reservations - consider the slot filled as soon as a bot decides they're going to charge at a given roboport. This does decrease overall utilization as at any given point a lot of charging slots will be taken by bots in transit, but you could also just add more slots to compensate for this (or more roboports).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A module like upgrade for roboports that adds more charging slots would be very, very nice.

Could even be another class that increases charging speed, too

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
And upgraded roboports should act as 12-way belt balancers with internal buffers that you can grab items from at any distance.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

nullEntityRNG posted:

What's the reactor video?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

VostokProgram posted:

That video.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
What mod is Dosh using to place those clean up blueprints to pick up the extra fuel cells?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

What mod is Dosh using to place those clean up blueprints to pick up the extra fuel cells?

I'm pretty sure it's Recursive Blueprints, as I think he mentioned setting up a circuit to redeploy blueprints for the thrower inserters earlier in the video in order to change the throw distance.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

https://youtu.be/kWc9YbyJGYo?t=2372

Timestamped at the building of the reactor, jump back a bit to see him talk about the design process.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Recursive Blueprints: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/recursive-blueprints

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

KillHour posted:

he just keeps getting better :getin:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The train shotgun to load the reactors was great, but for whatever reason I found them spitting out the spent fuel cells absolutely hilarious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm running the numbers on Angel Bob's cobalt and not liking my options.

I feel like I'm theoretically in the back stretch ready to round the final few corners toward the first rocket launch. I'm stabbing distance from the purplish sciences. Yellow science looks like a trip. I have blue chips trickling in for power armor toys.

I've not really had the chance to duplicate anything or rework ores because I can't out build the research lol. My one off of everything and planning to come back later plan is paying dividends in progress and not calling any bluffs about coming back later.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Has anyone ever had their construction bots put down the wrong tile?

I've come across some sections of paving I've put down in my grid-based factory that have strange imperfections. They're 4 tile wide paths of refined concrete but occasionally have a single tile of standard concrete scattered through. I recall brushing down these paths with a 4x~30 blueprint and they were built by a mix of personal and base construction bots. The single tile specs of single concrete are not in any regular pattern and I didn't have any regular concrete paths before placing the refined ones. The single tiles are also somewhat mixed, some on edges some in the middle of the 4 wide path. Across a 3x4 grid of 96-wide city blocks with surrounding paths I found ~15-20 of these single tile specs and for the life of me I cannot explain how they came about.

Anyone know of any mods that have concrete degradation or bots acting weird as an undocumented feature? It's bizarre.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If you place a refined concrete blueprint over regular concrete, it will queue jobs over the tiles that have regular concrete but not tiles that have an unbuilt blueprint.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Xerol posted:

If you place a refined concrete blueprint over regular concrete, it will queue jobs over the tiles that have regular concrete but not tiles that have an unbuilt blueprint.

I was pretty sure I didn't have any regular concrete down or queued, but I might have been wrong. That explanation makes sense.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Over certain terrain types it can be hard to tell the difference between a blueprinted and placed concrete tile, especially if there's a lot of decoratives around.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The mod 'Noxys Trees' will make trees regrow and spread but also makes trees degrade blocking tiles such as concrete. This is how my refined concrete was becoming standard concrete and was not mentioned in the short description of the mod.

I can also turn it off in the mod map settings.

Was driving me crazy for a bit.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Teledahn posted:

The mod 'Noxys Trees' will make trees regrow and spread but also makes trees degrade blocking tiles such as concrete. This is how my refined concrete was becoming standard concrete and was not mentioned in the short description of the mod.

I can also turn it off in the mod map settings.

Was driving me crazy for a bit.

I used that mod in my current run, but it ended up crashing the game after a few dozen hours. Also, there are now very thick forests all over the place that are a pain to clear.

I ended up uninstalling the mod and disabling pollution, which is the effect I wanted in the first place.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are some fun, but not crazy overpowered mods to help with moving around the base?

I've heard about mods that helicopters, jetpacks, planes or even teleporters and those all sound like fun. Ideally it'd be balanced like nanabots where there is still a tradeoff in using it over just walking or using a train.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mods of any kind disable achievements, right?

Debating playing some vanilla to refresh myself before I tackle something big like Krastario 2.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Oxyclean posted:

Mods of any kind disable achievements, right?

Debating playing some vanilla to refresh myself before I tackle something big like Krastario 2.

They disable steam achievements, but are still tracked locally in a “modded” version of the database.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Freaksaus posted:

What are some fun, but not crazy overpowered mods to help with moving around the base?

I've heard about mods that helicopters, jetpacks, planes or even teleporters and those all sound like fun. Ideally it'd be balanced like nanabots where there is still a tradeoff in using it over just walking or using a train.

I really like the spidertrons in vanilla for mobility since they don't collide with anything and can be easily remote controlled. However they are slow. I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure there's a mod to make them faster

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Freaksaus posted:

The helicopter mod is like 50/50 balanced: They are expensive and guzzle fuel like a mother. If you run out of fuel, typically at high speed, it will crash land very commonly destroying itself and anything it plowed through. Combat wise: they're OP as gently caress. Equip a shield or two on it to take incidental damage and just circle strafe everything to death with guns and rockets. You could just, not do that part.

I also have the aircraft mod but I haven't touched it too much. It does seem more balanced, at least in the sense that you have non-combat oriented aircraft and you can opt not to build any of the combat ones if you choose. They do seem a good deal more fuel efficient though.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

VostokProgram posted:

I really like the spidertrons in vanilla for mobility since they don't collide with anything and can be easily remote controlled. However they are slow. I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure there's a mod to make them faster

You can fit quite a few exoskeletons in them to speed them up a good bit!

They’re also incredible for base clearing, though they will absolutely chew through rockets. But I’ll roll around with a group of 5 or 6 and just obliterate bases.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Freaksaus posted:

Renai Transportation power pole ziplines?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

The jetpack needs fuel in your inventory to work, uses space in your equipment grid and biters can shoot you out of the sky, so fighting with it is still dangerous.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

The grappling gun mod is a nice early game mobility tool. Cheap but not free ammo, faster than walking with bare legs, still nice even later on for short distances because it can get you over impassable gaps or quickly through a tangle of machines.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Now that I've used both systems a bit, I'm convinced mods like LTN and TSM usually aren't necessary, and instead train limiters are sufficient for most needs while also being simpler to set up and reason about. Though there may be some cases where the mods are better, of course.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Solumin posted:

Now that I've used both systems a bit, I'm convinced mods like LTN and TSM usually aren't necessary, and instead train limiters are sufficient for most needs while also being simpler to set up and reason about. Though there may be some cases where the mods are better, of course.

I keep using TSM because A) I'm used to it, and B) Automatic train refueling at dedicated refueling depots.

Edit: You could probably use TSM just for refueling and handle the trains with normal limits, I've never tried it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm going to shill Train Control Signals because it's an extremely simple and effective vanilla+ train mod. It adds two signals you can use to mark a station as a fuel stop or a waiting bay. Trains will only visit refueling stops when they run low and they'll only go to waiting bays when their next destination is full.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darox posted:

I'm going to shill Train Control Signals because it's an extremely simple and effective vanilla+ train mod. It adds two signals you can use to mark a station as a fuel stop or a waiting bay. Trains will only visit refueling stops when they run low and they'll only go to waiting bays when their next destination is full.

I've never seen that one, may have to give it a look. Thanks.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
LTN makes it fairly simple to do multiple goods at a single train stop, which feels like it'd still be a pain in the rear end in vanilla.

That said, I've also been having weird issues with it, so it doesn't seem to scale that well anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LTN lets you have a small pool of trains responsible for many different items.
This is useful for those mods that add a ton of items you only need in low quantities, where having one train for each item that spends most of its life doing nothing feels like a waste.
The downside to LTN is that all transports need to go depot-->supplier-->requester-->depot.

But if you have LTN installed, you don't need to use it for everything. Just use it for the items where it makes sense and use the vanilla train stops or even TSM for the high volume stuff