Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

Businesses are going to have to pay the $1000 a month toll not to get Eli Lilly'd. It's extortion.

That's really stupid too, you don't want F500 companies paying $1000/month, you want them spending millions on ad buys. What a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Crackbone posted:

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but when they pull all legacy verified checks, what’s to stop people going wild on impersonating again?

$7

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
lol

https://twitter.com/EllieGabalus/status/1640821848098340865

If embed fails:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Needs more freeform poetry arrangement.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

kazil posted:

The little boy who cried "threat to society!"

takes one to know one! :elon:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/florida-principal-sent-100k-in-school-funds-to-elon-musk-impersonator/

Charter schools, scammers, and Elon Musk. Three bad things that go worse together.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crackbone posted:

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but when they pull all legacy verified checks, what’s to stop people going wild on impersonating again?

Well, you see, it'll cost them a minimum of $8, so that'll obviously stop anyone trying that sort of thing.

Or, more accurately, they'll be paying money to Elon Musk, so as far as he's concerned their right to impersonate people is more important than the right of people who aren't paying to not be impersonated.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Welp there goes your career. "Your résumé looks great. Let me just take a comically large sip of coffee while I check out your references!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

waffle iron posted:

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/florida-principal-sent-100k-in-school-funds-to-elon-musk-impersonator/

Charter schools, scammers, and Elon Musk. Three bad things that go worse together.

I thought Musk was South African, not Nigerian

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kazil posted:

Businesses are going to have to pay the $1000 a month toll not to get Eli Lilly'd. It's extortion.

Elon doesn't care if individuals get impersonated. He'll whip up his followers as this is some sort of comeuppance to those elitist legacy accounts who think they are better than you.
Or they can not pay and sue Twitter (again!) when their "verified" Eli Lily account does that trick again...you know the very reason they set up the checkmark program in the first place.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Lose billions, add one more lawsuit to the pile, hope you win, hope Twitter has enough money to pay you when you win

or

Just pay the $1000/month

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Offler posted:

Muskriders in the replies are salty, especially once M-W made a reply that only read "Looking into it" - making it very clear who they were parodying. So one of them fired back with this

Just the dumbest, most pathetic collection of humans anywhere on the web right now.

huh you would think thta musk andhis muskrats would actually like one of the few semi pseudo legit gatekeepers of the English language.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kazil posted:

Lose billions, add one more lawsuit to the pile, hope you win, hope Twitter has enough money to pay you when you win

or

Just pay the $1000/month
Twitter gets shut down and that solves that problem. Multiple gov't agencies are less than pleased with the hollowing of the Safety&Trust team, but I'd wish they'd move faster.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

kazil posted:

or

Just pay the $1000/month

Doesn't matter if you pay, some scammer can still get verified using your company name. The lawsuits are inevitable and it'll be interesting to see how he defends ripping out a safeguard and enabling wide spread fraud.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

Doesn't matter if you pay, some scammer can still get verified using your company name. The lawsuits are inevitable and it'll be interesting to see how he defends ripping out a safeguard and enabling wide spread fraud.

Probably with 🤣

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
have fun getting in line with all the other people suing elon musk for finance crimes; the three stooges defense is undefeated

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

waffle iron posted:

Holy loving moley what a moron.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the conversations the other administrators had with this idiot, when they're repeatedly telling her "it's a scam", and she's stubbornly insisting that it isn't (because she couldn't be that dumb, so it must be real).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

Dunno how many scammers are going to pay $1000 when they can just pay $8

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Kinda rules that the principal who was in charge of that school is somehow dumber and better at ruining schools than Ron “Meatball” DeSantis.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hello yes i am the world's richest man, i would be happy to send you a million dollars but i just need a few grand from you first

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mozi posted:

hello yes i am the world's richest man, i would be happy to send you a million dollars but i just need a few grand from you first

What's your venmo?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mozi posted:

Great, listen first I need you to verify you are who you say you are give me your credit card in your name and I'll put a small $100,000 hold on it to makes sure your credit is good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's your venmo?

muskrat420@paypig.biz

pixaal posted:

Great, listen first I need you to verify you are who you say you are give me your credit card in your name and I'll put a small $100,000 hold on it to makes sure your credit is good.

sorry for security reasons i only operate using itunes gift cards

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

Just picturing the :aaa: look on the school's finance person's face, when they see that a check for $100,000 from the school's funds has been approved and sent by that lady

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Think of all the things you can subscribe to for $7 a month that are light years better than Twitter. You can get Shudder and Shonen Jump for that!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

That 100k is for necessities, like bullet proof panic rooms and armed security

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

waffle iron posted:

I like that many people were urging her to not do it because they knew she was getting scammed but she just sounds like a lovely person and did it anyway:

quote:

The principal was repeatedly told she was speaking to a scammer, according to other administrators at the meeting. School staff members also pointed out other issues they have with McGee and accused her of fostering a toxic work environment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Transparently that Type Of Person who refuses to be told they're wrong, and just reflexively assumes that everyone else is stupid and doesn't know what they're talking about

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

Transparently that Type Of Person who refuses to be told they're wrong, and just reflexively assumes that everyone else is stupid and doesn't know what they're talking about

Can't imagine why they'd like musk. It's an enigma of proportions matching musk's politics

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

An insane mind posted:

Now I can't shake the mental image of an on fire tesla desperately ramming into firemen/trucks and medical personnel because it's trying to bring its pre-cremated occupants to the nearest hospital.

Strong vibes of Roger Zelazny's "Devil Car" there.
He wrote a number of short stories involving AI cars going rogue or otherwise being used in novel circumstances, but that one had rogue cars that sometimes kept dead bodies inside to give the appearance of being normal.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yep, she's clearly someone who has a very high opinion of her own intelligence, and so since she couldn't possibly be dumb enough to fall for a blatantly obvious scam, it must really be Elon Musk she's talking to! :pseudo:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Think of all the things you can subscribe to for $7 a month that are light years better than Twitter. You can get Shudder and Shonen Jump for that!

You can get a physical subscription to Asimov's Sci-fi short stories magazine for less than $5/mo. It's great and I recommend it!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Just think, for only $7 per month, she could have tweeted at musk tech support and confirmed if it was him.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Darchangel posted:

Strong vibes of Roger Zelazny's "Devil Car" there.
He wrote a number of short stories involving AI cars going rogue or otherwise being used in novel circumstances, but that one had rogue cars that sometimes kept dead bodies inside to give the appearance of being normal.

Well yeh, murderous autonomous AI still needs to abide by the rules of the carpool lane

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Why would a billionaire need $100k :thunk:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He needs proof that the other person is already rich. Giving money to the poor is haram.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

War Wizard posted:

Why would a billionaire need $100k :thunk:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1008013111058526209

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

This is a legacy forum. It may or may not be notable.

You wish, SA's epitaph is going to begin "this is not a place of honor..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so now he's an utilitarian absolutist. I'm sure he has an extremely scientific way of determining the greatest good.