Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason that link doesn't work any more. Here's an alternate

https://youtu.be/M6QOGrUVOC0

I hope the movie isn't as insufferable as this trailer. I've loved many of Wes Anderson's moves, but this looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Royal Tenenbaums worked for me so well because of how it was intentionally matching the style of those kinds of kid's books. Then it just became his style all the time and while I still like it it's way less fascinating now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Royal Tenenbaums also has easily the best performance Anderson got out of anybody in Gene Hackman

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Royal Tenenbaums also has easily the best performance Anderson got out of anybody in Gene Hackman

I parsed that as "the best performance anybody got out of Gene Hackman" and wondered what the hell you'd been smoking.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Which is extra funny, because Hackman had to be talked into the movie. Anderson apparently wrote the part with Hackman in mind, and Hackman loving hates it when people do that, so he turned it down at first. His agent had to convince him that no, really, this is a good movie for you.

Jedit posted:

I parsed that as "the best performance anybody got out of Gene Hackman" and wondered what the hell you'd been smoking.

It's certainly not his best performance, mostly because of what a high bar that is, but he is very good in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

nonononono

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wes Anderson is god and that trailer looks incredible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

confused posted:

I hope the movie isn't as insufferable as this trailer. I've loved many of Wes Anderson's moves, but this looks terrible.

This is the most wes anderson poo poo that ever wes anderson'd.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ill certainly watch both the Gardner and Asteroid City.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

Which is extra funny, because Hackman had to be talked into the movie. Anderson apparently wrote the part with Hackman in mind, and Hackman loving hates it when people do that, so he turned it down at first. His agent had to convince him that no, really, this is a good movie for you.

It's certainly not his best performance, mostly because of what a high bar that is, but he is very good in it.

Interestingly I feel like people are acting less and less in his movies. They are just posed and deliver lines deadpan. Which... is a style... but I feel like most of those people could be swapped out with anybody.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

smug n stuff posted:

(bravely) I like Wes Anderson and that movie looks like exactly the slop I want from him.

It's the most pale blue and slightly orange beige trailer I've every seen.

I'll probably see it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People get too bogged down by Anderson's visual style. He's a great writer who writes great scripts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

confused posted:

It looks so by the numbers Wes Anderson that I just can't hate it. Tom Hanks looks like a great fit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

People get too bogged down by Anderson's visual style. He's a great writer who writes great scripts.

Correction: he wrote great scripts with Owen Wilson. Since they stopped collaborating the scripts have been merely good

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

Correction: he wrote great scripts with Owen Wilson. Since they stopped collaborating the scripts have been merely good

I don't believe Owen Wilson wrote Moonrise Kingdom or Grand Budapest.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is extremely true because when I read it I chuckled just thinking of Hackman's performance

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

live with fruit posted:

That last one was poo poo mostly because of the writing

Still won't ever reach a low like Darjeeling Limited tho. Worst film hes ever made. No need to watch that weird clunky corny white people bullshit. Bottle Rocket is better anyway.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That last one was poo poo mostly because of the writing

Still won't ever reach a low like Darjeeling Limited tho. Worst film hes ever made. No need to watch that weird clunky corny white people bullshit. Bottle Rocket is better anyway.

He's been on a cold streak but French Dispatch still had some interesting things to say about expatriate life. Isle of Dogs was not good though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Oh don't be so reductive. My point is that it's a story they have already told - themselves! Only this time without even a lick of finesse or subtlety which was always their wheelhouse.

It's not that it's a bad message. It's just that it feels like their ability to story tell is going backwards... Not getting better.

That's fair and a clearer point.

I lold because I read it as you declaring yourself beyond the themes of a child's story and found that funny.

:cheers:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

live with fruit posted:

He's been on a cold streak but French Dispatch still had some interesting things to say about expatriate life. Isle of Dogs was not good though.

I can understand people not liking French Dispatch, even Darjeeling or Grand Budapest. But Isle of Dogs is real fuckin good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

never saw Isle of Dogs but wasn't it kind of unanimously agreed to be his worst movie and also kind of racist

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still not as racist as Darjeeling. Twee colonialism, eat pray love for mustachioed white guys

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Aren’t the three brothers in Darjeeling supposed to be read as scumbags?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

never saw Isle of Dogs but wasn't it kind of unanimously agreed to be his worst movie and also kind of racist

Just gonna copy and paste from Wikipedia. But it seems it's the opposite re: worst - since it's highly rated by everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)#Reception

quote:

Portrayal of Japanese culture
Some critics have argued that the film is an example of racial stereotyping and cultural appropriation, and that one of its characters aligns with the trope of the "white savior".[43] The Japanese characters speak unsubtitled Japanese, with their dialogue instead being translated by an interpreter or a machine. Justin Chang of the Los Angeles Times wrote, "It's in the director's handling of the story's human factor that his sensitivity falters, and the weakness for racial stereotyping that has sometimes marred his work comes to the fore ... Much of the Japanese dialogue has been pared down to simple statements that non-speakers can figure out based on context and facial expressions". Angie Han, writing in Mashable, calls the American exchange student character Tracy a "classic example of the 'white savior' archetype—the well-meaning white hero who arrives in a foreign land and saves its people from themselves".[43]

While this critique had created some furor on the film's release, Chang has said that his review had been taken out of context and turned into a "battle cry" on Twitter, adding, "I wasn't offended; nor was I looking to be offended".[44] Another Japanese-American perspective was provided by Emily Yoshida, writing in New York magazine, that these concerns had been "seen before in debates about Asian culture as reflected by Western culture—perspectives can vary wildly between Asian-Americans and immigrated Asians, and what feels like tribute to some feels like opportunism to others".[45]

Writing for BuzzFeed, Alison Willmore found "no overt malicious intent to Isle of Dogs' cultural tourism, but it's marked by a hodgepodge of references that an American like Anderson might cough up if pressed to free associate about Japan—taiko drummers, anime, Hokusai, sumo, kabuki, haiku, cherry blossoms, and a mushroom cloud (!). ... This all has more to do with the ... insides of Anderson's brain than it does any actual place. It's Japan purely as an aesthetic—and another piece of art that treats the East not as a living, breathing half of the planet but as a mirror for the Western imagination".[46] She continued, "in the wake of Isle of Dogs' opening weekend, there were multiple headlines wondering whether the film was an act of appropriation or homage. But the question is rhetorical—the two aren't mutually exclusive, and the former is not automatically off the table just because the creator's intent was the latter".[46]

Conversely, Moeko Fujii wrote a favorable review for The New Yorker, complimenting the film's depiction of the Japanese and their culture, as well as pointing out that language is the key theme of the movie. Fujii wrote,

Anderson's decision not to subtitle the Japanese speakers struck me as a carefully considered artistic choice. Isle of Dogs is profoundly interested in the humor and fallibility of translation ... This is the beating heart of the film: there is no such thing as "true" translation. Everything is interpreted. Translation is malleable and implicated, always, by systems of power ... [the film] shows the seams of translation, and demarcates a space that is accessible—and funny—only to Japanese viewers.[47]

Fujii also deconstructed the criticisms of the character of Tracy Walker being a "white savior", and how this relates to the film's language theme, writing,

At a climactic moment, the movie rejects the notion of universal legibility, placing the onus of interpretation solely upon the American audience ... This is a sly subversion, in which the Japanese evince an agency independent of foreign validation. Indeed, to say that the scene dehumanizes the Japanese is to assume the primacy of an English-speaking audience. Such logic replicates the very tyranny of language that Isle of Dogs attempts to erode.[47]

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I will never grow tired of Wes Anderson movies, and will continue to watch them long after you're all dead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

I lold because I read it as you declaring yourself beyond the themes of a child's story and found that funny.

I will declare myself beyond the themes of a child's story, if BonoMan is too much of a coward to do so.

And no, I do not see how this would in any way be contradicted my interest in the new Kamen Rider movie.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

He gets such stacked casts because actors love doing his movies, I think mostly because they're different. Not different from each other, sure, but different from most other movies out there.

I can admit I'm wrong because apparently whatever he's doing is still attracting talent (and on a repeated basis), but as other people have stated before and after this post, he seems to just flatten all of his characters in a way that I feel like would be boring for actors.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

I can admit I'm wrong because apparently whatever he's doing is still attracting talent (and on a repeated basis), but as other people have stated before and after this post, he seems to just flatten all of his characters in a way that I feel like would be boring for actors.

Seems like being in an Anderson movie is like taking an acting workshop where you have to do a specific exercise.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

live with fruit posted:

Seems like being in an Anderson movie is like taking an acting workshop where you have to do a specific exercise.

"Emote, but deadpan. No, more deadpan. I SAID MORE DEADPAN"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not one person mentioned his best movie, Fantastic Mr. Fox

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Life Aquatic was a poo poo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

Feels like you can draw a line between Anderson's career at Fantastic Mr. Fox. Everything after has felt a lot whackier and frankly better.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I thought French Dispatch was interesting especially because it felt unusually politically pointed from Anderson. Not, like, a super political story but I liked the part where ultimately the magazine had no greater purpose than being something to keep the rich failson busy, and as soon as he died the whole thing disappeared. And then each of the sub-stories being about the difference between the story told and what actually happened was also a nice theme to keep everything tied together. I remember unfavourably comparing it to a couple of other movies at the time (Buster Scruggs maybe?) but it's still good enough on its own.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I felt like French Dispatch was a return to form. A dense New Yorker like collection of short stories that usually packed in one keynote emotional scene or situation. Great acting, actors, and background/action.

Isle of Dogs was so bad I felt physically grossed out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kiimo posted:

A great film about finding yourself into a hole and then continuing to dig.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Yeah I felt like French Dispatch was a return to form. A dense New Yorker like collection of short stories that usually packed in one keynote emotional scene or situation. Great acting, actors, and background/action.

I've been meaning to try it. I checked out of Wes Anderson after Grand Budapest. It's not that it was his worst (looking at you, Darjeeling), and I could clearly recognize the craft in making it. It was just the last in a series of "not for me" movies from him, where if I kept watching them and not liking them, it became my fault, not his. But I've heard almost nothing but good things about French Dispatch.

I basically like Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom, and loving love Royal Tenenbaums like it's my job, and dislike to strongly dislike the rest. (Never saw Mr. Fox.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 29, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Of all his movies French Dispatch is most similar to Grand Budapest but less coherent, so ymmv.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Of all his movies French Dispatch is most similar to Grand Budapest but less coherent, so ymmv.

Hmmm. Thanks for the warning. But I'll probably still try it.

I'm still chasing that Tenenbaums high. (I know it won't be that movie, don't worry.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Let us know how it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought isle of dogs was aggressively mediocre but French Dispatch is the first movie of his since life aquatic that I watched a second time just like a week after the first time