Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

for some reason sometimes dudes pm me their bare rear end without any warning

oh noooo I hope I don't have to bear witness to the supple rear of a well-built man.....ohhh I just got my inbox exactly how I like it and itd ruin the vibe.....pleaaaaaaase don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Jastiger also was intolerable in games. He got permabanned from league of legends for spamming "iowa state cyclones!!" Like one hundred times per match and was shocked when he got banned for it. He was also convinced he had been flagged for losses by the game and it became a running joke. He eventually got run out of the league thread.

lol. Didn't he try to rereg at some point and get instantly caught because he's incapable of writing a single post without mentioning Iowa?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Was Jastiger the poster who kept making horny threads about Lena Dunham

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Was Jastiger the poster who kept making horny threads about Lena Dunham

lol yep. wondering how he feels about her now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just googled lena dunham. whew

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

just googled lena dunham. whew

Same lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao I forgot he was all horney about Dunham, truly a face only an iowan could love

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So how are we about mocking peoples appearances? I got into this with a few twitter philosophers about that and it's a weird mental grey area. Making fun of someone being fat or ugly is poo poo. lovely people exist. Can you mock lovely people in a way that wouldn't be cool if you did it about a non lovely ugly or fat person? I don't because it feels hypocritical and lovely, but I've learned to just turn a blind eye to it if it's about like Trump or Lena the sister paedo?

Nooner, since you inspired this train of thought, what do you think? If you and I got into it I'd not want to mock your appearance as you and your Mrs are lovely people when you're nice.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
SUGGESTION: Confine Greg of Doom to his latest thread but instead of rehabbing him like we did nom, we just keep him there so no one has to read his posts :thanks:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Charles Bukowski posted:

So how are we about mocking peoples appearances? I got into this with a few twitter philosophers about that and it's a weird mental grey area. Making fun of someone being fat or ugly is poo poo. lovely people exist. Can you mock lovely people in a way that wouldn't be cool if you did it about a non lovely ugly or fat person? I don't because it feels hypocritical and lovely, but I've learned to just turn a blind eye to it if it's about like Trump or Lena the sister paedo?

Nooner, since you inspired this train of thought, what do you think? If you and I got into it I'd not want to mock your appearance as you and your Mrs are lovely people when you're nice.
I certainly don't think it needs to be moderated one way or another. I think sometimes it's warranted, or at least l funny enough to hand wave away. Other times it's lovely, and people are free to think less of the poster.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

SUGGESTION: Confine Greg of Doom to his latest thread but instead of rehabbing him like we did nom, we just keep him there so no one has to read his posts :thanks:

wait is nom what you call rehabbed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

Nom is actually funny.

Greg is just Greg.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

nom is, at worst, a white noise poster at my level

Greg is a forums war crime tho

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I actually don’t mind Greg until he starts with the endless YouTube links. When he just posts words it’s fine.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I actually don’t mind Greg until he starts with the endless YouTube links. When he just posts words it’s fine.

The surprise misogyny / boomer think / etc is what I dislike. He'll be chuggin along just fine and then drop like "It's a loving sin to have an emotional relationship with your S/O"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If it wasn't just a blind link it wouldn't be so bad. An imbedded video I might watch or smile at being posted.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Every once in a while nom comes out with an absolute banger of a post which is enough to keep him on the payroll imo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bagmonkey posted:

The surprise misogyny / boomer think / etc is what I dislike. He'll be chuggin along just fine and then drop like "It's a loving sin to have an emotional relationship with your S/O"

This is a fair point.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Every once in a while nom comes out with an absolute banger of a post which is enough to keep him on the payroll imo

also he really annoys some people, when all he does is harmless minor shitposting, which is a good thing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

also he really annoys some people, when all he does is harmless minor shitposting, which is a good thing

:hai:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

epics a gimmick poster except his gimmick is being his weiord eccentric self

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

epics a gimmick poster except his gimmick is being his weiord eccentric self

it works why change what works

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Charles Bukowski posted:

This is an interesting point, SA used to be all about making fun of people for how they look but nowadays I feel like a lot of people have moved on from that and when I see it happen I kind of cringe. I would say it might be fine if it's actually funny/clever. If it's literally just "what a fatass lol" that's just lazy posting anyway. I also feel like insults based on the individual and not on their general qualities are not as problematic. Or things that they chose to do like wearing certain clothes etc vs things that they can't change or are very hard to change.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
People who use someones appearance to punch down at them are cunts. Ffs grow up it's 2023. You aren't funny any more

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mocking someone's appearance is cruel when its something they can't change. if they dress like a circus clown like lewis hamilton or w/e, fair game

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it certainly doesn't need specific moderation tho

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mocking someone's appearance is cruel when its something they can't change. if they dress like a circus clown like lewis hamilton or w/e, fair game

:hai:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Yeah. This is the kind of poo poo that just needs calling out by other posters rather than censoring.

Continuous harassment of someone because of their appearance is a different matter though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hai: with the exception of utterly unredeemable folks like trump or Elon.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:hai: with the exception of utterly unredeemable folks like trump or Elon.

Oh deffo. I think this is where the "don't punch down" comes in. Mocking powerful bad people is cool and good imo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

look how pretty Naya looks today

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

:swoon:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

this is the way

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm also okay with being lovely to extremely people too but please don't get fuckin weird with it

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mocking someone's appearance is cruel when its something they can't change. if they dress like a circus clown like lena Dunham n or w/e, fair game

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I was more curious about the prevailing attitudes in GBS than if it was becoming punishable. 20 years ago it would have been "can I call this fascist an nword fword?"

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Does that one thing with the little dude who can burrow underground count because that is extremely funny

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

I was more curious about the prevailing attitudes in GBS than if it was becoming punishable. 20 years ago it would have been "can I call this fascist an nword fword?"

I think anyone using those words here these days is gonna get called out pretty hard, and should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Exactly, we need to be ahead of the curve on this thing. Its not impressive to denounce things after the fact, we need to do it before it happens. We have to stop what might become offensive!

First thing we need are albino triplets, anyone got any leads?