Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

quiggy posted:

Endwalker spoilers I'm in Elpis and hanging out with Venat and Emet-Selch and I just love how surly Emet is at all times :allears:

The most tsundere man on Etheirys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NachtSieger posted:

The most tsundere man on Etheirys.

I disagree, there's so little 'dere' in that man that he'd find a way to mispronounce Derek.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He won't let anything get in the way of his true love: kvetching.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Look, sometimes Bert just wants to go pigeonshoebill-watching and Ernie drags him along for flying lessons or whatever.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quiggy posted:

Endwalker spoilers I'm in Elpis and hanging out with Venat and Emet-Selch and I just love how surly Emet is at all times :allears:

They're going to have to assign a research team to invent words sufficient to describe how exasperated he is with the whole "you" situation. (he's secretly loving every second of it)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HPanda posted:

Look, sometimes Bert just wants to go pigeonshoebill-watching and Ernie drags him along for flying lessons or whatever.

That's exactly the dynamic and I love it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I disagree, there's so little 'dere' in that man that he'd find a way to mispronounce Derek.

I, too, am blind to the beauty of this world.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

His direct motivation is how much he misses his friends/people and that his sense of loss for the world he loved motivates him to insane evil. Furthermore we have a canon story about the fact that he loved his firstborn son as Emperor Solus so much that losing said firstborn son to mortal illness only made him more determined to return the world to the paradise of eld where things like that wouldn't happen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

His direct motivation is how much he misses his friends/people and that his sense of loss for the world he loved motivates him to insane evil. Furthermore we have a canon story about the fact that he loved his firstborn son as Emperor Solus so much that losing said firstborn son to mortal illness only made him more determined to return the world to the paradise of eld where things like that wouldn't happen.

I'd make a joke about how clearly it only counts if he outright says the subtext out loud but I mean...text is also often ignored.

But seriously the bits he says in his finale (both of them) are already doing that. The line "Consider it your duty to see [The wonders of this world and others as the inheritor of my dear friends title]. I know I did" bears it all in the direct text already.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 29, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

watching us from the afterlife like Statler and Waldorf

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

watching us from the afterlife like Statler and Waldorf

Statler and Waldorf if they were actually Bert and Ernie.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

After too long a delay, the next chapter of Stormblood LP is here!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Found out you shouldn't try stacking with the other group during the double stack marker in Seat of Sacrifice.

Spoilers: you just die

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The more clever encounters put a massive, short-lived vulnerability on each stack aoe. Some of the early ones you can just brute force and stack together, but getting hit by both with the vuln in the latter ones will just end you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, even in an alliance raid you might be able to get away with stacking two alliances' stack markers together. In more recent raids they'll do vulnerability up tricks to kill you if you try that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Materia questions:

Which X or IXs will sell for the most come next patch?

Which do I actually want to use for lvl 90 crafters & gatherers, a good mix or max a particularly important stat? I might try to make the ilvl 620 DoH/DoL gear wearing a mix of 560 and 590 stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I typically find Direct Hit to be the most expensive, as nearly everyone will meld/overmeld those and only DPS generate them naturally.

Crit is also good, followed by Determination, but those are more common.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Really dumb question -- what the hell are IX materia for? Why wouldn't you always just choose X materia?

Also the general guideline for materia seems to be crit then direct hit then determination, unless you want spell speed for something (i.e. BLM)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feldegast42 posted:

Really dumb question -- what the hell are IX materia for? Why wouldn't you always just choose X materia?

They're for overmelding. Crafted gear can have five materia in it unlike most regular gear, which can have two, but the last two slots can only accept IXs, not Xs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feldegast42 posted:

With crafted gear, you can fill both of the slots with Xs. However, you can also overmeld those pieces, and fill them with 5 materia (even if they only have 1 or 2 slots.) You can only use one max tier (X, VIII, etc.) in overmeld slots, but you can fill the rest with lower tier like IXs.

Crafters/Gathers typically need to do this to be maximally effective, and it's typical for Savage Raiders, especially early in the tier, to grab as much stats as they can.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Heran Bago posted:

Materia questions:

Which do I actually want to use for lvl 90 crafters & gatherers, a good mix or max a particularly important stat? I might try to make the ilvl 620 DoH/DoL gear wearing a mix of 560 and 590 stuff.

There are meld guides out there for crafters which is recommend following. Its a bit of an unknown situation at the moment until we see the requirements on the recipes that come out in 6.4 but the guide I've follow seems to prioritize CP > control > craftsmanship

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the Teamcraft guides for melding are well researched and provide multiple options both for truedoom crafter heads and more budget/casual crafters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
going back and finishing up the Eden raids

lmao Raiden Ramuh is hot now but also I was complete trash. Took me well over half the fight before I started managing the mechanics correctly. Thanks for the carry, randos!:smith:

EDIT: Ramuh, not Raiden

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 29, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Feldegast42 posted:

Also the general guideline for materia seems to be crit then direct hit then determination, unless you want spell speed for something (i.e. BLM)

Every time a high end crafter pentamelds, around 4 million gil worth of materia explode

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

lmao Raiden is hot now

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Heran Bago posted:

Materia questions:

For combat, the most valuable will be Crit or Direct Hit as mentioned.

For crafting the meld strategy is generally CP to limit, then Craftsmanship to the minimum needed for recipes, then as much Control as your wallet can stand. You can HQ most crafts in up to date gear as long as you meet the Craftsmanship requirement to attempt the recipe, you will just need an annoying number of HQ intermediates if your Control is low.

For gathering it's generally more about hitting breakpoints for node effects, while keeping GP over a threshold to execute some particular action sequence.

I can't recommend Teamcraft enough for this. They have meld guides for crafting and gathering. The simulator and rotation finder are invaluable for trying to figure out how you can most easily craft something with a given stat set.

Sentient Data posted:

Every time a high end crafter pentamelds, around 4 million gil worth of materia explode

I only did my Indagator's crafter set last week, after having coasted on Pactmaker all tier. Spent a little over 5.5M in materia, and that's skipping some slots on the off hands and doing relics instead of crafting main arms.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

oh god dammit, i'll edit my post

:lmao: x 2

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Xerophyte posted:

I only did my Indagator's crafter set last week, after having coasted on Pactmaker all tier. Spent a little over 5.5M in materia, and that's skipping some slots on the off hands and doing relics instead of crafting main arms.
Something I remembered partway through my DoH+DoL gear melding is that you can buy materia for island currency, if you've been doing that regularly. Spending 200k cowries instead of 2m gil was nice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

oh god dammit, i'll edit my post

:lmao: x 2

Mod your game to play Rules of Nature during the Ramuh boss fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

I've been using the island to fill out gathering gear melds, and I'm mostly done. But let me tell you, buying 60 Guerdon IX and having every single one of them explode in a single meld attempt is pretty painful even when you didn't spend any gil.

Speaking of, if you don't need your DoH/DoL gear maxed right this very instant, do yourself a favor and get as many materia as possible from island scrips and custom delivery scrips. It'll take a long while to do it that way exclusively but you can always mix in purchased materia as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I farmed the materia myself, it's free :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In terms of time investment it's more efficient at least! And what else are you gonna spend that scrip on?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What's the easiest way to level gathering jobs? Just Diadem?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Depends on what level you're at. Prioritize time-gated xp sources first, so daily GC turnins and tribe quests*, weekly custom deliveries, and don't slack on the job quests, including the shared quests in ShB and EW. Diadem is good if you've exhausted all of the above and are still in a hurry to level up.

*Tribe quests are a bigger source of xp once you hit ShB, but if there's an earlier gatherer tribe you haven't finished, they've got fun enough stories to be worth doing.

edit: For fishing specifically, Ocean Fishing can get you to level 90 without even having to upgrade your gear. It's very fast and comes with some fun collectibles if the rng is in your favor.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The amount of exp gatherers get from tribe quest in ShB and EW is kinda stupid, like 70-80 for all of mine was exclusively maxing out the ShB gathering tribe and the same for 80-90 except it was the EW tribe.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Sure, turning cowries to materia is an efficient use of cowries. I still blew up 350 materia 9s doing my melds that I could've sold for 3.5M+ gil. It doesn't really matter that the source for some of them was a mammet in a shack.

Island Sanctuary as a source of materia (and therefore gil) is good but not spectacular. You get enough cowries for around 25 materia 9s/week, or ~250k-300k gil in value/week. That's about par with crafting and marketboarding two pieces of Indagator's using bought materials. Worthwhile enough if you enjoy the island content, but if you're exploding materia into crafter pentamelds then you should have equally efficient ways of turning 15ish minutes into 25ish materia so it's not a very big deal.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's the key to knowing if you're super deep in the crafting gamer, when your labels on your macros include the amount of time each craft takes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sentient Data posted:

That's the key to knowing if you're super deep in the crafting gamer, when your labels on your macros include the amount of time each craft takes

Don't you dare judge me for readjusting a pentameld solely to save six seconds per craft with a more efficient macro.

It was for ALC, you have no idea how many tinctures I made.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Phew, guess that puts me in the clear. I only spend hours optimizing things to reduce the amount of steps needed which is surely much less deranged :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also how is the deep dungeon? I'm still waiting for real eureka so I gotta spend my 4 days of free login time wisely