Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
How long does the server maintenance last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Not terribly long. I hear some ARPG beta opens today so might have smaller numbers on the server for the weekend too.

Re: Promys. I also need to do these. I am a grade -A newbie in FF11 and anything after getting my chocobo license has been a research project. So I really don't know much about them except they require special consumables that you need drops to make which can be bought but alas I am poor so I thought I'd have a hell of a time getting them done. I'd be down for this weekend if something kicks off though! I also need to grab a linkpearl soon. Been putting it off.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Fangthane posted:

Not terribly long. I hear some ARPG beta opens today so might have smaller numbers on the server for the weekend too.

Re: Promys. I also need to do these. I am a grade -A newbie in FF11 and anything after getting my chocobo license has been a research project. So I really don't know much about them except they require special consumables that you need drops to make which can be bought but alas I am poor so I thought I'd have a hell of a time getting them done. I'd be down for this weekend if something kicks off though! I also need to grab a linkpearl soon. Been putting it off.

I'll be on after maint if you want a pearl, it's real easy.

For the animas they're not strictly required but do make it easier.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

With the current LS members we would have PLD, WHM, RDM/BLM/SMN, and 2x THF able to do the basic promies so could go for it this weekend.

I could probably get war to 30 if I pushed it, war/nin used to decimate everything in there, not sure if it does here. Otherwise I've got thf/nin.

Elvaan RSE at Ordelles runs tomorrow starting at noon. I already got one key ahead of time, I'll be running this tomorrow. if any elves wants to come in for RSE or for a key for later you're welcome to join. Minimum to fight the key mobs is 25ish with a party and sneak/invis needed to get there.

Horizon timer, RSE calendar at the bottom:

https://www.pyogenes.com/ffxi/timer/v2.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We are tentatively planning some hot hot promy action today, if you have any interest in this message me, Revanchism, or Doctorwizard.

People are saying either Gust Slash or Wasp Sting are best now but I've been getting the best results with Viper:

0/1:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gorson posted:

We are tentatively planning some hot hot promy action today, if you have any interest in this message me, Revanchism, or Doctorwizard.

Ideally we'll get some people in early, farm recollections, then progress.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Gorson posted:

People are saying either Gust Slash or Wasp Sting are best now but I've been getting the best results with Viper:

0/1:

I think Wasp was initially better and might've been patched, and now people just keep saying Wasp is better than Viper even though it really doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Also my BLM is now lv 30+ so can RDM WHM or BLM for Promies. Albeit I don't think RDM is terribly useful at 30 over BLM or WHM, I guess it has Gravity.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I said it before and I'll say it again, SMN + SC/MB buffs are incredibly silly.

https://i.imgur.com/a2rFrLX.mp4

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PrinnySquad posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, SMN + SC/MB buffs are incredibly silly.

https://i.imgur.com/a2rFrLX.mp4

what are all those addons?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

what are all those addons?

HXUI. Minimap, the equipscreen, and timers are all through the launcher.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

HXUI is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

On the topic of mods, if anyone knows of something like Tickle, but for Ashita, that's the main thing I'm missing right now.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2023

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

PrinnySquad posted:

HXUI is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

On the topic of mods, if anyone knows of something like Tickle, but for Ashita, that's the main thing I'm missing right now.

I don't suppose this works with Windower or is it Ashita only?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Tyshalob posted:

I don't suppose this works with Windower or is it Ashita only?

HXUI is Ashita v4 only as far as I know.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LB1 completed @42. A good way to get this done is watch for people shouting for bodies for The Garbage Citadel since 4 people are needed to open the gate. The drop rates are soooo much better on this server we went 3/8 on liches.

Some gunes managed to gather enough animas for Promy runs so we can start those as soon as everyone is ready.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

And here I've been just shouting for a LB1 group like a fool.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only LB1 item that took more than a few kills per drop was, weirdly, the one from Crawler's Nest. So much better than retail was.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

And here I've been just shouting for a LB1 group like a fool.

I've seen a couple groups looking for bodies in the last two days. If you need someone let me know.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I was able to assemble a crack team tonight and through 500 black screens on loading out of Jeuno we got the job done.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
We're going to be taking another shot at getting Promyvions done this weekend if any of you all want to join. Already have a decent amount of Animas and can drag people who have never done it through as long as you're lv30.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

First 3 promys completed. We ate dirt on the first fight vs. Holla due to some really bad rng, immediately using his drain tp move that took our melee-heavy party dps down to near zero. We switched it up and kited him which wound up being slow but safe. We then kited down Mea and Dem with very little drama. If your party is having an issue with these fights suggest a kite strat.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Anyone have any gil making tips? I just started playing this game for the first time last weekend, and have leveled rdm up to 30, but these spell costs are breaking me. I have been fishing up moat carp which gets around 30k in 2 hours or so but that doesn't last long, and my gear is falling behind because of spell scroll costs.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I know you're fishing but I was having the same trouble, but quickly in 3ish weeks went from about 500 gil to about 171k. It really was the best way to do it even though I scaled back on leveling and just fished for 2-3 hours a day for a week

Unfortunately, I called it quits today as I can't really devote any more time or energy to the game and I'm too old for the grind. Join the goon LS, Gweenz and Revanchism are really cool dudes who will help out if you need anything. Gonna miss playing with you guys but the last month has been awesome. Kill those mobs and happy leveling!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sad to see you go!

And everyone is welcome to the LS - it's painless to join and we can help you with whatever. A few of us are into the 50-60+ range now for doing missions/lb/af/etc.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

r0rb posted:

Anyone have any gil making tips? I just started playing this game for the first time last weekend, and have leveled rdm up to 30, but these spell costs are breaking me. I have been fishing up moat carp which gets around 30k in 2 hours or so but that doesn't last long, and my gear is falling behind because of spell scroll costs.

If you're looking for an immediate cash infusion, non repeatable quest rewards tend to sell pretty well. Warp 1/2 and Teleport scrolls, RSE, Aspir etc. Of course that means you'll either need to buy them for yourself later if you intend on using them. But with sneak/invis it's one way to keep your momentum by doing fairly trivial quests for stuff you only might need later. Patient fishing will be serviceable and generally more advisable in the long run though.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
If you're some kind of wacky extrovert, I understand a great way to make some fast gil is forming mining alliances. You go to the mines north of Bastok and get 18 buddies to take a node or two each. When you mine a node, it repops instantly elsewhere. By making a group you cut the travel time to 0 and just bounce nodes between each other. Everyone wins, but you need to invest in the mining gear to make it worth while and cut down on picks breaking. I am personally not an extrovert so I just sit and fish until my inventory is full for the auction house then go to bed.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

r0rb posted:

Hmm yeah you're just hitting 30 so I bet you're looking at that Dispel price. Everything is pretty wildly priced on this server, it's likely due to a high population so things should level out a bit as more people get to 75 and are able to farm those spells. Right now you've got high levels gouging on items so they can afford the big 3-5M+ items for themselves. Gear isn't too important for a rdm, you try to get as much MND and INT as you can but I wouldn't go crazy trying to get +1 gear for that. Before you buy any spell off the AH check a wiki to see where it comes from, there's a chance it might be either a farmed or quested item. This game is kinda weird in that some of the items you want at 30 might come from a much higher level mob you would have no hope in killing yourself. We'd be happy to help you get some of those things.

FYI, dispel drops from a level 30 BCNM that is very easy to do, but the drop rate on it is crap. I got it yesterday while trying to get Bounding Boots.

PrinnySquad posted:

If you're looking for an immediate cash infusion, non repeatable quest rewards tend to sell pretty well. Warp 1/2 and Teleport scrolls, RSE, Aspir etc. Of course that means you'll either need to buy them for yourself later if you intend on using them. But with sneak/invis it's one way to keep your momentum by doing fairly trivial quests for stuff you only might need later. Patient fishing will be serviceable and generally more advisable in the long run though.

Yep this right here. Best example I can think of this is the Utsusemi:Ichi and other Norg ninja scroll quests. They're extremely popular and go for high money on the auction because nearly everyone levels ninja to 37 as a sub, and the only way to get Utsusemi:Ichi is via quest line. However if you're not going to level ninja, or do it later, you can unlock those quests by gaining Norg fame by trading around 100 zinc ores to a NPC in Bastok. Current price of zinc is around 2500/stack of 12 so it would cost you around 20-25k for the ores. You'll also need a Kaz airship pass to get there (we can help with this you'll definitely want it either way). Seems like a big investment, but current price of Ichi is 150k on the AH and rising. Hojo: Ichi is 40k, Jubaku 30k, Kurayami 20k, Tonko 30k. With sneak and invis you can get all of these without fighting a single mob, and one of us can show you where to go. Just keep in mind that if you do level ninja the Ichi scroll is necessary, the others not so much.

Fangthane posted:

If you're some kind of wacky extrovert, I understand a great way to make some fast gil is forming mining alliances. You go to the mines north of Bastok and get 18 buddies to take a node or two each. When you mine a node, it repops instantly elsewhere. By making a group you cut the travel time to 0 and just bounce nodes between each other. Everyone wins, but you need to invest in the mining gear to make it worth while and cut down on picks breaking. I am personally not an extrovert so I just sit and fish until my inventory is full for the auction house then go to bed.

Yep. Some of the mining areas in this game are based around group mining. However if you don't want to go this route go to Yughotti Grotto, it has the same level mobs as Palborough Mines but is far less spread out and much easier to mine on your own. If there are other miners there, form a loose alliance with them to split up the whole area into sections (they'll call them room 1-5, left to right on the map) which saves you from covering the whole area. Miners in this game are typically very friendly to each other. If we get more people together, we can hit places like Oldton and Ifrit's and cover every point and you never have to move. The time of day is also everything here, during prime times these places are packed. You'll have to be a little careful in Yug because the mobs will aggro up to level 34 or so, but there are many zones to ditch aggro. Or kill them and make xp and money.

Anyway this is turning into an effortpost so short answer is join our LS and we're happy to help or answer questions. I have a whole bunch of ways of making money. I've done them all (except fish. I don't fish).

IUnfortunately, I called it quits today as I can't really devote any more time or energy to the game and I'm too old for the grind. Join the goon LS, Gweenz and Revanchism are really cool dudes who will help out if you need anything. Gonna miss playing with you guys but the last month has been awesome. Kill those mobs and happy leveling!

Sorry to see you go, without the nostalgia it can be tough to get hooked into this game. My best advice for anyone new to it is just take your time and don't get caught up in trying to have the best of everything. I have a feeling there are a whole bunch of players here that have never left a city and just craft or fish. If you want to experience more of the game (but not really in the way it was originally intended) consider leveling BST.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 29, 2023

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm a staunch opponent of selling any quested spell scrolls. The allure is strong but you might just end up screwing yourself over later. Watch yourself spend that 150k in 5 minutes and now you're totally boned if you want to level NIN down the line.

My honest to god advice is get THF to at least 15 and find something easy to farm. Beehive chips drop like crazy if you have TH and they sell well. I just kill crawlers and bees in Sarutabaruta if I need an emergency cash infusion, but I also have crafting to fall back on. But I'm considering going all-in on fishing right now, as my crafts are not selling well lately. I just throw on some old MST3K episodes and fish for a while.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Kongming posted:

I'm a staunch opponent of selling any quested spell scrolls. The allure is strong but you might just end up screwing yourself over later. Watch yourself spend that 150k in 5 minutes and now you're totally boned if you want to level NIN down the line.

My honest to god advice is get THF to at least 15 and find something easy to farm. Beehive chips drop like crazy if you have TH and they sell well. I just kill crawlers and bees in Sarutabaruta if I need an emergency cash infusion, but I also have crafting to fall back on. But I'm considering going all-in on fishing right now, as my crafts are not selling well lately. I just throw on some old MST3K episodes and fish for a while.

Yup fully agree here. Only do it if you are 100% sure you aren't going to level those jobs, which is a really difficult thing to know. Typically the value of the quested scrolls increase as the server ages and fewer new players are created and leveled that can do those quests the one time. For example Drain is going for a paltry 23k right now while in a few months or a year it could be three to four times that.

One of the best parts of mining or farming is it sells really quickly. When you're new this is what you want. Logging is another good option, elm logs are going for 3700 each and you can get them in Ghelsba.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I think Horizon's market is still overall trending to things getting cheaper phase, just watching how things like Aspir and Warp II have trended for the past 3 months, haven't really watched NIN scrolls though. It's always a bit of a gamble when you're working with non liquid assets though. But even then, if costs of goods do go up, your ability to sell goods and make profit also goes up, and you open up more money making opportunities the higher level you get. Getting through a hump now and just getting to like, 50/60 opens up a lot more BCNM and farming opportunities. Even a RDM / 15 THF can go slap around elementals for clusters, farm Zitah bat blood, or just run like UO/ODS, opening up more fun activities to do earlier might also just have a lot better game feel. Seed money to get digging up, or just some mog house gardening can also start paying dividends if you're lucky.

Also as RDM starting out, I wouldn't stress getting every spell. Like Dispel is huge, but you don't need every T2 nuke to get along in parties etc.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Things are definitely trending downwards. I'll use the Emp Pin as an example because it's such a known quantity:

2 things in play here:

1. The demand for this item decreases as more people have already purchased it or got the rare/ex from the BCNM.

2. The supply increase from the sheer number of thf/bsts who are at a level capable of camping it (lol seriously go out there and look)

There are currently 9 up and what you see are the campers becoming increasingly intent on selling as fast as possible and undercutting each other before the price really drops. When the price drops to a certain point they'll all sell out and the price will probably then increase a bit, but it's a downward spiral until the price stabilizes.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Sell while things are expensive and hope prices go down if you have to rebuy it. Gamble that gil baybee.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

day 1 withdrawl, maybe I should re-download

:hehe:

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I've started leveling bst and made about 30k just off of crawlers in Sarutabaruta and the canyon on my way to 15 so that was a nice surprise.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

r0rb posted:

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I've started leveling bst and made about 30k just off of crawlers in Sarutabaruta and the canyon on my way to 15 so that was a nice surprise.

BST is pretty solid for all manner of money making in normal era times, and is buffed to high hell on Horizon, so good choice

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

day 1 withdrawl, maybe I should re-download

:hehe:

I started in January and don't even have LB2 done yet, if you're fine with the speed of your progress, just enjoy the slow ride.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I farmed goblins for the first 20 levels or so. They drop a variety of stuff that's worth 300-1000 gil each and there's not a lot of competition for them, you can find them both in west and east ronfaure, more in the west than east but the east has more goblin fishers.

After 20 though, it's not enough. But by then I resolved to hit 32 with what I had, because that's when you can mine most of the yughott grotto, and I'm glad I did. I spent all day at it and made close to 100k, which I promptly spent on catching up on gear and gobbie bag upgrades.

Since then I try to mine every day. There's always something to spend your money on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
On discord they announced the first big patch, 1.1, has been delayed for two weeks. It does also hint that next week we'll have the easter event, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i went all in on crafting and eventually made a lot of money that way, but it also burnt me out so hard i'm taking a month or two off. so ymmv on that one. it's pretty trivial to make cash with crafting if you've ever been a market guy on EVE and are willing to occasionally update a spreadsheet with raw material prices, as the FFXI market is very irrational and the limited price history interface favors crafters who have a consistent idea of how much an item costs to make vs buyers who don't

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Jazerus posted:

i went all in on crafting and eventually made a lot of money that way, but it also burnt me out so hard i'm taking a month or two off. so ymmv on that one. it's pretty trivial to make cash with crafting if you've ever been a market guy on EVE and are willing to occasionally update a spreadsheet with raw material prices, as the FFXI market is very irrational and the limited price history interface favors crafters who have a consistent idea of how much an item costs to make vs buyers who don't

This is what happened to me except with fishing. I should have just taken a month off instead of shipping all my poo poo to Gweenz and saying I quit.

Maybe I should reinstall lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Jazerus posted:

It's hard to craft and also play the game at the same time lol. I'm 60+ bonecraft and working on fishing now too and my highest level job is only 32. The crafting and market game is fun in its own way, though.