Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Internet Old One posted:

There’s a lot to it that but at the end of the day courts are poo poo so like dude isn’t wrong.
the response to "i hate the way the system works" is not "well, that's the way the system works *shrugsies*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

univbee posted:

I think another angle where people are I think rightly getting upset is that it's not impossible that when everything is done, Alex's life and show still don't really change materially.

- Free Speech Systems essentially continues operating as-is in everything but name, possibly still overpaying uneducated people with sufficiently low ethics, like a lot of them were making 2x what I'm making now.
- He continues making sales on sketchy brain boner pills.
- Alex Jones has a takehome north of 6 figures or, frankly, anything approaching 6 figures from the other side.

Even if it's a step down from what he might have been previously used to, he could still be in the top 1% of earners in the US.

It's a bit like how Jim Bakker went from a 45-year prison sentence to out on parole in 5 years and is now doing exactly the same stuff that got him arrested in the first place. He's even sold things touted as Covid cures and only got a slap on the wrist for it. He's an open criminal with considerably higher current earnings than probably anyone reading this thread.
He's already lost control of his companies, and that won't change because the judgments will definitely bankrupt them entirely. Further once he emerges from bankruptcy he'll be subject to garnishments for all income to him personally, and after a certain value it's just plain gone. Texas is a little weird in that you can't garnish wages directly, but if you deposit it into a bank, you can seize the proceeds, which have a very low limit. Other states if he decides to move will have different rules and I'm not looking it up. He'd basically have to leave the country entirely and never return.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

kw0134 posted:

He'd basically have to leave the country entirely and never return.
So he pulls a Kim Dotcom. I heard he just had a lovely time on vacation at some Caribbean(?) country , OH NOES, he might have to go back forever.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 29, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

kw0134 posted:

He'd basically have to leave the country entirely and never return.

This would ruin diplomatic relations with whatever country he flees to.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Slyphic posted:

So he pulls a Kim Dotcom. I heard he just had a lovely time on vacation at one, OH NOES, he might have to go back forever.
He could try, but the reach of creditors is surprisingly long, especially if any of the funds touch an American bank, which ultimately is how a lot of American financial regulations essentially get applied to the entire globe. His audience is American, his goods ship domestically; to continue the grift there's gonna be a presence somewhere in US jurisdiction. Fleeing also basically means he has to start from zero whereever he lands because he'd likely forfeit everything in the US, and all his property is somewhere in America. There's only so much cash you can carry on you.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
you know...eventually...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So my big thing is this: the government has openly declared that Jones hurt people and he did so to a tune that vastly outstrips his personal wealth. Why does this kind of ruling not come with some kind of injection against frivolous personal spending? Taking a vacation to the freaking carribean feels just as much an attempt at denying the money to the people he hurt as if it was "selling his house" to his family for pennies and other such fraud.

Does the court see it that way and I'm ignorant and is the system really this stupid?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is this seriously real lmfao

:roflollmao:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"alex jones is $1 billion dollars in debt" does not functionally matter until it actually impacts him in the same way that being $1 billion dollars in debt would affect anyone else

if i'm a billion dollars in the red, i'm unable to pay any of my bills and likely going homeless for a long time

if alex jones is a billion in the red, he gets to continue hosting his incredibly hateful radio show, making a mockery of the courts, and going on lavish vacations

you say "he cannot wiggle his way out of this jam", but as far as he is concerned he isn't even in the jam yet, and may never be. oh no, someone else controls my company that is still paying me to do the same awful things. guess i'll go on another vacation.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Zamujasa posted:

"alex jones is $1 billion dollars in debt" does not functionally matter until it actually impacts him in the same way that being $1 billion dollars in debt would affect anyone else
if i'm a billion dollars in the red, i'm unable to pay any of my bills and likely going homeless for a long time
if alex jones is a billion in the red, he gets to continue hosting his incredibly hateful radio show, making a mockery of the courts, and going on lavish vacations
you say "he cannot wiggle his way out of this jam", but as far as he is concerned he isn't even in the jam yet, and may never be. oh no, someone else controls my company that is still paying me to do the same awful things. guess i'll go on another vacation.
right but have you considered that that's how the system is supposed to work so shut up peasant?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Good thing he doesn't have a ton of currency specifically designed to circumvent national regulation and borders he could take with him and still receive more somewhere with a much lower cost of living and go right back to his day-to-day as a 'political exile'. That would never happen. He's shown he definitely respects the system too much to try that.

Can you be a civil flight risk? Is that a thing?

Do I need to start compiling a list of people that have successfully done this very thing you say he won't do? - https://www.businessinsider.com/guys-who-jumped-bail-2011-5 0.5 seconds of googling gave me this quick list.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
A lot of people ITT arguing that courts should be able to strip people of their possessions easier and faster, and that's a real :psyduck:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Xakura posted:

A lot of people ITT arguing that courts should be able to strip people of their possessions easier and faster, and that's a real :psyduck:
yes. if a person's offense level rises to alex jone's level it should be easier and faster to punish them.
"usually they don't punish people for x offense" doesn't explain why it didn't happen for these very unusual offenses.
unless you're saying alex jones represents a usual level of chicanery?
"oooo-oh-oh man! look at all the ways the law could, but won't, punish this man for all the things he is still definitely doing" doesn't really help you know?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xakura posted:

They 100% should be but the US courts being a bloated mess that takes way way to long to resolve is a complaint that predates Jones by a bit

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Xakura posted:

No one said poo poo about 'easier', but yes, emphatically do I confirm they should be able to do it faster.

Why do you think it should deliberately slow?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Every court system in the US should have at least double the amount of judges it currently has, slow is bad for basically everyone who is acting in good faith. Alex Jones has consistently lied and obstructed and ignored orders at literally every level of this process in an intentional strategy to avoid actual consequences for as long as possibly and while the end is in sight it has not yet arrived, this would all have been done years ago if he hadn't abused literally every process he's had available to him, the delay is entirely for his benefit

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 29, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
It does seem like charges for fraud, money laundering, and perjury could start happening even while the bankruptcy case proceeds.

My friend got in a dumb argument with his wife a couple days ago and she has some mental health issues and she slapped him and he got a scratch on his face. She called the cops because he "stopped the car too fast and it endangered the baby" (she has some mental health concerns). He just walked away, the cops came, then they came to his house and found him and took a picture of his scratch. He said he didn't want o pursue charges or do anything about it. Too bad they said, and arrested her.

This happened like instantly. He got the situation resolved eventually, but it would be fine if Jones started spending a night in jail every time he blatantly lies or ignores the court or commits fraud, with hopefully ramping nights.

That would be real immediate consequences for the ancillary crimes he's committing in the midst of his bad faith fraudulent bankruptcy.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Xakura posted:

A speedy resolution to bankruptcy benefits both parties

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Humans are stupid simple animals. If you want to train a stupid animal, you have to perform the reward or punishment as close to the act as possible or they cannot learn. This is the basis of every animal or child rearing book you can find that's written by anyone competent.

Jones needs to face immediate, if paltry, punishment for each every trivial crime he commits until he stops because he finally learns.

I'm flabbergasted this is a controversial position.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Slyphic posted:

Humans are stupid simple animals. If you want to train a stupid animal, you have to perform the reward or punishment as close to the act as possible or they cannot learn. This is the basis of every animal or child rearing book you can find that's written by anyone competent.

Jones needs to face immediate, if paltry, punishment for each every trivial crime he commits until he stops because he finally learns.

I'm flabbergasted this is a controversial position.

Uhm. To who are we giving the power of instant, unchecked, summary judgement in this new legal paradigm?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Uhm. To who are we giving the power of instant, unchecked, summary judgement in this new legal paradigm?

The judge at the very least when he's literally making a mockery of the court rather than just constantly saying "Behave Mr Jones" every time he acted up.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Deptfordx posted:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/criminal_justice/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_trialjudge/#6-4.1

The ones we already give criminal judges? I'm not asking for new legal systems, I'm pondering why the ones that are already on the books are being ignored.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I absolutely agree that Jones has consistently made a mockery of the procedure and should be punished, and the repeated leniancy is beyond frustrating because if I was doing the same things I would be in jail. The idea he's acting in good faith in any of this is absurd at this point.

That being said people really don't seem to understand that he lost. The billion dollar chili was him losing for good. This is just the wheels of justice slowly turning. Just because he's enjoying lavish vacations right now doesn't mean that's a forever deal. Elizabeth Holmes starts her 11 year prison sentence next month and her downfall started in 2015 and she did everything right. He literally has more debt than he's worth right now. He's going to be paying his creditors until he dies. He cannot escape. His continued antics will at one point catch up to him.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 29, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Alex the person can flee the country but InfoWars/FSS can not. He isn't going to be able to run a show without his studio/crew. I don't think he would even be able to figure out how to buy vodka for himself anymore. He relies on his hangarounds for everything. I don't believe for a second that Alex is sitting on a bunch of crypto/gold. The second a crypto donation entered his wallet he was flipping it for USD to "fund the infowar"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I absolutely agree that Jones has consistently made a mockery of the procedure and should be punished, and the repeated leniancy is beyond frustrating because if I was doing the same things I would be in jail. The idea he's acting in good faith in any of this is absurd at this point.

That being said people really don't seem to understand that he lost. The billion dollar chili was him losing for good. This is just the wheels of justice slowly turning. Just because he's enjoying lavish vacations right now doesn't mean that's a forever deal. Elizabeth Holmes starts her 11 year prison sentence next month and her downfall started in 2015 and she did everything right. He literally has more debt than he's worth right now. He's going to be paying his creditors until he dies. He cannot escape. His continued antics will at one point catch up to him.

the sandy hook shooting was 2012.

the first defamation lawsuit was 2018.

it is now 2023 and the clock is still running.

alex jones is still doing the same poo poo he was doing, and more. he has, as you said, spent those five years making a complete mockery of the court system. he lost on paper. the man has yet to suffer any meaningful consequences to his quality of life. i get "well, justice works slow", but come on.

e: the timeline for this really makes me laugh at "oh, you just want courts to be able to instantly hand down justice". idk, maybe a court system that takes five-plus years to do anything meaningful is... bad!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

the courts want him to continue hosting the radio show, because the profits from that show are gonna go into the plaintiffs' bank accounts. if he stops doing it, they get less money

infowars isn't going away, unless he chooses the Lowtax path and burns it all down out of spite

and he's not going to be able to pay all his bills either, because he owes more than he has. that's why he's filing for bankruptcy

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
The motion for sanctions was hilarious, thanks for sharing

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

the courts want him to continue hosting the radio show
And that's a hosed up abomination of justice. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the plaintiff's would trade less money for his show ending immediately.

A just punishment accomplishes all the following:

* Stops ongoing harm
* prevents future similar harm
* makes whole any harm inflicted as much as possible
* dissuades others from performing the same harm

Allowing Jones to keep his show to pay his debts ruins 3/4 of the purposes. Hence my anger at an outcome that isn't justice. Exacerbated by its incredible delay to no end I can fathom than Jones' benefit.

I'm going to stop repeating myself now before the mods have to force this thing back on the rails because I feel like I'm having to go back to fundamentals of how systems are supposed to work while a good portion of this thread is only concerned with the minutiae of their current operation and I'll be damned if that's not a pattern that keeps repeating itself in my life.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You don't let the asbestos factory keep selling asbestos so they can pay the people they hurt with their product.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 29, 2023

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Sell the desk to the Knowledge Fight guys, you cowards!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slyphic posted:

And that's a hosed up abomination of justice. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the plaintiff's would trade less money for his show ending immediately.

A just punishment accomplishes all the following:

* Stops ongoing harm
* prevents future similar harm
* makes whole any harm inflicted as much as possible
* dissuades others from performing the same harm

Allowing Jones to keep his show to pay his debts ruins 3/4 of the purposes. Hence my anger at an outcome that isn't justice. Exacerbated by its incredible delay to no end I can fathom than Jones' benefit.

I'm going to stop repeating myself now before the mods have to force this thing back on the rails because I feel like I'm having to go back to fundamentals of how systems are supposed to work while a good portion of this thread is only concerned with the minutiae of their current operation and I'll be damned if that's not a pattern that keeps repeating itself in my life.

they sued over the Sandy Hook lies, specifically

as long as he stops telling Sandy Hook lies, then whatever else he does with that airtime is of no concern to the case

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The plaintiffs are free to ask for a permanent injunction against the kind of defamation they sued over. I'm pretty sure once all is said and done one will be granted if they so move. What the plaintiffs can't do, because that's literally a 1A issue, is ask for a restraint against any continuation of his show. He's still free to speak his mind on any other topic, anything else is an impermissible prior restraint on speech. A court is not allowed to shut down the show permanently, for all time, on all topics.

Again, we can argue over whether that ought be the case, but that's the state of law in the US.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Burning_Monk posted:

Sell the desk to the Knowledge Fight guys, you cowards!

I think Bankston already called dibs.

I just want cheap camera equipment, damnit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Has a single penny of judgment money actually gone to the victims yet?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zamujasa posted:

How does being in debt prevent you from paying your electric bill or your car note?

If you’re a billion dollars in debt you declare bankruptcy, get your house and car exempted so you keep them, the billion dollar debt evaporates, and then continue on with life the same as before except your credit card rates suck more all of a sudden.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

CharlestonJew posted:

Has a single penny of judgment money actually gone to the victims yet?
it doesn't matter because the system is working as designed.
none of your concerns about the system matter because the system is working as designed.
do not question the system.
the system works.
do not question the system.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

How does being in debt prevent you from paying your electric bill or your car note?

If you’re a billion dollars in debt you declare bankruptcy, get your house and car exempted so you keep them, the billion dollar debt evaporates, and then continue on with life the same as before except your credit card rates suck more all of a sudden.

I'm fairly sure that bankruptcy doesn't get rid of this kind of debt.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it's been said multiple times that the kind of debt Alex Jones and FSS are facing is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

What kind of debt does forums user Zamujasa have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I thought his argument was "This isn't how it would work for a normal person with a normal billion dollar debt." If his argument is "this isn't how it would work for a normal person with Alex Jones exact billion dollars in debt then thats a dumb thing to ponder because a normal person would never put themselves in that position.

The reality is that a normal person with normal debts (even if they're massive in amount) declares bankruptcy and the debt goes away, this dude seems to think that you're just literally homeless for the rest of your life and that isn't how it works. It's only how it works, sometimes, if your debt is from willful violation of the law or drunk driving injuries and poo poo.