Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

finding a phone number for a cab company doesn’t seem like a huge onerous thing considering we all have smart phones

Back in the day I remember calling cab companies, them saying they were sending a cab, it never showing, repeat multiple times. Bad times at 3 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah now that I’m remembering, cabs could be awful

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The debates about the gig economy and Airbnb were literally and metaphorically litigated a decade ago - people still find them more convenient

It's quaint to argue about stuff like regulatory arbitrage when governments have had a chance to wrangle them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Uber/Lyft are employment of desperation. You can't buy a car that you need to drive for them on what they pay alone.

They're basically a way for desperate people to convert an asset they own into rent money at unfavorable rates, subsidized by a VC money furnace. The price will go up to equal or exceed what a licensed cab costs eventually.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uber has many drivers renting their cars from Hertz, Teslas mostly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Around me I've seen that Uber is starting to consolidate into shared cars that have multiple drivers working shifts on them. There will be a big piece of paper taped to the dash with the passcode for the shared phone printed on it.

I guess with Uber gamification it makes more sense to have one account driving all the time. Or maybe these drivers don't have licenses, who knows.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Around me I've seen that Uber is starting to consolidate into shared cars that have multiple drivers working shifts on them. There will be a big piece of paper taped to the dash with the passcode for the shared phone printed on it.

I guess with Uber gamification it makes more sense to have one account driving all the time. Or maybe these drivers don't have licenses, who knows.

they should make the paper more official and swag, maybe like a metal emblem attached to the car with the identification number and a cool little logo on it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I've been in 4 car accidents in my life. 3 were in taxi cabs between the ages of 20 and 24. when Uber came around I never looked back. I know it sucks but cabs loving sucked.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's true, Ubers never crash

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I can’t imagine the terror one must feel as an Uber driver. I’d never let someone sit behind me in my work station.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

I assume insurance is a nightmare for that setup. They either don't have it or are getting it through uber somehow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's true, Ubers never crash

I've been in hundreds and can confirm. they also don't curse at you when you say where you want to go, and usually don't smell like unwashed rear end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I've been in hundreds and can confirm. they also don't curse at you when you say where you want to go, and usually don't smell like unwashed rear end

you're describing people with job security vs people without

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

i say swears online posted:

you're describing people with job security vs people without

nah

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I would love to hard statistics on Ubers versus normal yellow cabs, but I'm skeptical that Ubers have a materially better safety record. Low barriers to entry, driving around constantly in urban areas for a living, and being incentivized to complete as many rides as possible to make as much money as possible will inevitably lead to car crashes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I’m sure the fender bender rate is the same. I've never been in a Uber or Lyft where the driver was nearly as aggressive as most NYC/Philly cab drivers though, and they all have functioning seatbelts. to be fair in LA cabs were more chill but infinitely less convenient

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol how is there a debate about airbnb in cspam of all places, it should be shut down and everyone involved prosecuted, any non primary residences seized and turned into public housing

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what, no dachas?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

how young are people that they don’t think non hotel short term housing existed before smartphones

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol how is there a debate about airbnb in cspam of all places, it should be shut down and everyone involved prosecuted, any non primary residences seized and turned into public housing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

quoting this to look smart

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

mastershakeman posted:

All people age 50 and older are eligible for membership with AARP.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrilliantFemaleBluegill-mobile.mp4

You don't have to be over 50!

AARP Membership posted:

All people age 50 and older are eligible for membership with AARP.
As an AARP member, you will get a free secondary membership for your household, access to hundreds of carefully chosen discounts, programs and services, AARP The Magazine, and much more.

AARP Membership - Under age 50

AARP offers membership for those who wish to join and are under the age of 50.
Members between the ages of 18 and 50 enjoy all of the benefits of membership that are not restricted by law or contract, like age-restricted insurance products.
It's never too early to sign up!

It's $15 a month and you get a lot of good discounts plus it makes boomers mad when you whip out the AARP card

https://www.aarp.org/membership/benefits/all-offers-a-z/

:ninja: edit: They offer real decent pet insurance

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

My magical sword of landlord slaying has a +5 against landlords.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

euphronius posted:

yeah now that I’m remembering, cabs could be awful

One of my most prominent childhood memories is my grandma trying to hail a cab, but failing because we're black, for half an hour before giving up and we took a bus+walked several miles.

Ubers no better tho. Obvious answer is more trains and trams.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

It's $15 a month

What am I made of money

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Just skip the Stabies in the morning. That's how I became a millionaire.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

shrike82 posted:

The debates about the gig economy and Airbnb were literally and metaphorically litigated a decade ago - people still find them more convenient

It's quaint to argue about stuff like regulatory arbitrage when governments have had a chance to wrangle them

Oh, governments sided with shareholders and investors rather than workers and residents? It's all good then.
How many properties do you have listed on airbnb?

Jenny Agutter posted:

Yeah, we've found CSPAM's version of "disliking amazon is ableist." Bunch of comfortable people trying to reason backwards from "I like my temporary gentrification and personal servants for hire."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, we've found CSPAM's version of "disliking amazon is ableist." Bunch of comfortable people trying to reason backwards from "I like my temporary gentrification and personal servants for hire."

This one of a million examples of an argument where one person says "the governement will never change this" and then another person goes "AHA! You don't believe the government should change this!" and its not an actual disagreement basically.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

This one of a million examples of an argument where one person says "the governement will never change this" and then another person goes "AHA! You don't believe the government should change this!" and its not an actual disagreement basically.

Lol, yeah, it's not as if there's people arguing everything from "uber is safer" to "airbn satiefies unment needs" to "not everyone wants a hotel!"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Oh, governments sided with shareholders and investors rather than workers and residents? It's all good then.
How many properties do you have listed on airbnb?

Guys the question of being so cheap with railway safety and staffing levels that you are constantly crashing trains full of carcinogens into residential neighborhoods has already been litigated. :smugdog:

the question of using slaves to get cheap chocolate has already been litigated

the question of climate arson has already been litigated

the question of cops murdering people in cold blood has already been litigated

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Really the incumbents are already incumbent and folks, they like incumbency. It's good. Go home.

Sorry I'm being informed you don't have homes. In lieu of that, please go die somewhere quietly.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
the legal system designed to keep capitalism rolling appears to have determined in favor capital again. checkmate bitch.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CongoJack posted:

the legal system designed to keep capitalism rolling appears to have determined in favor capital again. checkmate bitch.

My incumbent-owned mass media is informing me that this is good actually and you shouldn't make a fuss while we murder you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

every house should be an airbnb

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ice Phisherman posted:

My magical sword of landlord slaying has a +5 against landlords.

VRBOL Sword +5

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

It's $15 a month and you get a lot of good discounts plus it makes boomers mad when you whip out the AARP card

this boomer beat you in urging youngs to join aarp. :colbert:

how much rent do you charge the boomers living in your mind?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Jenny Agutter posted:

nobody is saying otherwise. you made up an argument in your head

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

nobody is saying otherwise. you made up an argument in your head

here's somebody imo

shrike82 posted:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gunshow Poophole posted:

VRBOL Sword +5

Landlord dead, and with its head
Mao went galumphing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

it says it’s $15 a year