Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
6 was the HOW COULD MY FAMILY ABANDON ME one which also featured PTSD Chris

E: yeah Leon's story was the only good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Terrible Opinions posted:

5 was the racist one. 6 was the one that was way too long.

That was the one with the Ada Wong scenario then that was just a string of endless action set pieces? God I owned Operation Raccoon City and played the gently caress out of it. What am I doing with my life?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

6 is completely loving insane, but in an untargeted way rather than e.g. RE4's daft B-movie insanity, and I have a huge soft spot for just how dumb it is. There's a section where you go through a series of featureless cube rooms and mash QTEs to open the doors with turning wheels for handles while dramatic music plays but there's no reason for this, you're not being chased, there's no fail state or danger. This is just the sort of thing that happens on a moment to moment basis and is never repeated. It's a rich tapestry of endless surprises. None of them any fun in the slightest apart from it secretly having some of the best third person shooter gameplay ever made but completely hiding it behind a dogshit campaign and never explaining any of the advanced techniques you can do.

Also best mercenaries mode in the series (though I've heard rev2's is good)

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
(The Mercenaries mini game in the original RE4 was crazy fun and I hope it’s not gone)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

One of the most head scratching parts of 6 is the reveal that there are ancient catacombs filled with zombies in chainmail, and roman style pillars and debris etc underneath a church on the outskirts of D.C. lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RE6 is also one of those bad games that is really, really fun co-op

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

(The Mercenaries mini game in the original RE4 was crazy fun and I hope it’s not gone)

It's being added for free in like 2 weeks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a free add-in that’s dropping next month

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

One of the most head scratching parts of 6 is the reveal that there are ancient catacombs filled with zombies in chainmail, and roman style pillars and debris etc underneath a church on the outskirts of D.C. lol

also ancient roman laser jesus traps, please don't forget

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's being added for free in like 2 weeks.

gently caress yes. I know 8 had a version of it but it didn’t have 4’s combat feel and was kinda lame.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i just kind of have the attitude that if a game was a masterpiece then, it's a masterpiece now and doesn't need a remake

and if it is remade it should be like FF7R where it does something totally different with it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE6 kicks rear end tbh. It’s a million times better than 5 anyway

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm a freak and agree. The only issue I have with 6 outside it being ridiculously long is the zombies in Leon's campaign are very annoyingly durable and grab you all the time sometimes the second a door opening cutscene or w/e after turning a wheel ends.

Also when you fall on your rear end stunned when you get shot too many times which in some sections in Jake and Chris' campaigns is way too often lol.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I do love how loving unabashedly weird Square has gotten over the years. Nothing beats the boss encounter in Nier Automata with
The CEOs of Square and Platinum Games

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 29, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Square Enix's slate of mid budget games which get zero marketing ftw and everyone should play Paranormasight and The Centennial Case (mystery games, a VN and a FMV adventure respectively)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think i just kind of have the attitude that if a game was a masterpiece then, it's a masterpiece now and doesn't need a remake

and if it is remade it should be like FF7R where it does something totally different with it

RE4 didn't need a remake but doing a Dead Space remake is ridiculous. I can't think of any game made after like 2000 that actually needs a remake.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't disagree with any of the valid critiques of RE6 but I also loved it, best prone mechanics in games, flopping around like a seal with a gun ruled. And I also have a soft spot for the giant jelly skeleton boss, I love its design.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

RE4 didn't need a remake but doing a Dead Space remake is ridiculous. I can't think of any game made after like 2000 that actually needs a remake.

Eternal Darkness. Immediately. The original was loving terrifying and that was with lovely GameCube graphics.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 29, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The stuff I like to see get remade is stuff that like needs "help" beyond people not liking old mechanics or something. like remaking Witcher 1 is fine

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

if its in cellphone quality couldnt you just set a dummy on fire and shoot it from a distance
That's what one would think! But y'know how peeps are.

I searched around the forums and found this dude asking about it in Lost SA Content back in 2008 (!!)

Justin Godscock posted:

Last year, there was this one goon that wanted to do a full body-burn for a dumb little home movie he and his friends were making. He was wondering how he should go about it and was looking for suggestions. The topic was filled with people (including a couple fire marshalls) screaming and yelling at him not to do it highlighting all the dangers and risks. Even some goons familiar with stuntwork told him it's a stunt so dangerous even the most veteran of stuntmen are afraid to attempt it due to the dangers. The goon in question shrugged off all the flak and was adament about the project. The goon was also a Juggalo, which made the topic even more hate-filled as sentiment changed from "don't loving do it!" to "well, one less idiot in the world, I guess".

He eventually posted a "dry run" of the video, where a couple friends only lit his ankles on fire and doused them after he took a couple steps. That run's "success" convinced him doing the full stunt was fine.

I'm just wondering what became of that, I stopped paying attention after the first dry run and only remembered it yesterday.

Fake e: Some pages back in the thread someone asked about that same event, with a response from the OP:

ExtremeODD posted:

Hi good sir, that was my friend and I. Well we did do the fire stunt and to everyones disappointment he didnt get hurt. We had him covered in like I believe 6-7 layers of wet clothing and 1 layer of dry. We used white gas to set him on fire and it worked alright. Too bad the people on the fire extinguisers were twitchy so he burned for like 10 secs on the only vid that I could upload. We are planning possibly this summer doing something a little larger next to a lake.

VIDS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRQJx5fz9DI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNMkObideg

There is also a vid somewhere (didnt upload :( ) that shows the only injury he received. Which was cutting him self slightly removing the clothing with a knife (we ducttaped on gloves for protection.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

For me the big thing separating RE5 and 6 is 5 is an absolute slog and painful experience solo but solo RE6 is still fine. Co-op is obviously the way to go for both but after doing a solo run for the first time recently of both games it really stood out how dull RE5 is moment to moment when you aren't chatting it up with a friend. Having to give Sheva ammo and guns also really sucked rear end lol.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

RE6 is also one of those bad games that is really, really fun co-op

I watched slowbeef and diabetus play RE6 and it did indeed look like an amazing coop experience in an absolutely dogshit game lmao

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The stuff I like to see get remade is stuff that like needs "help" beyond people not liking old mechanics or something. like remaking Witcher 1 is fine

Yeah some games just mechanically didn’t age well and PC games in the 2000s don’t all function perfectly today. Many do, but some don’t. But it’s not as if games like Singularity need a full remake, just a remaster with better FOV and some mechanical revisions.

RE4 was nearly perfect though and didn’t need any help. I bought the remake anyway though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was trying to think of games that would fit that category and couldn't come up with one, but yeah, that's a really good example actually. Has to be a game that had some good ideas but was just executed in such a fundamentally flawed way that any remake is totally from the ground up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was fine with Dead Space getting remade since the original is all hosed up on PC these days.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I mostly think remasters are bullshit to sell people games they already own, but I never would have played Xenoblade 1 if it weren't for definitive edition, so I'm glad they did that at least. It's dumb because I bought the original the day it came out for my brother's birthday but I never got around to playing it despite him telling me I had to, but at least I got there eventually. Now he's the dumb one refusing to play 2 or 3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DaysBefore posted:

I watched slowbeef and diabetus play RE6 and it did indeed look like an amazing coop experience in an absolutely dogshit game lmao

It pwns. Doing wrestling moves on zombies while spamming the "thumbs up" emote when your coop buddy is getting brutalized ftw

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Frank Frank posted:

Eternal Darkness. Immediately. The original was loving terrifying and that was with lovely GameCube graphics.

This is a remake I want yeah

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

5 was the racist one. 6 was the one that was way too long.

I was only half paying attention to the conversation and missed the switch from Final Fantasy to Resident Evil and this sentence gave me an existential crisis

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
remember the RE6 zombie that's just a bee swarm in the shape of a lady lmao

Like even for a setting as ridiculous as RE that made me go "okay cmon"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Psycho Landlord posted:

This is a remake I want yeah

MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES
-Nintendo/Silicon Knights

It’s still absolutely amazing how much storytelling they were able to do. The game spans centuries with like what, 10 playable characters that all die horribly except for our protagonist.

If I were to make part 2 it’d open with a Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm street proper murder of Alex.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

remember the RE6 zombie that's just a bee swarm in the shape of a lady lmao

Like even for a setting as ridiculous as RE that made me go "okay cmon"

Simmons being able to turn into a gigantic T-rex and back to being a human multiple times was the funniest poo poo because of how nonsensical it is even for resident evil lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dead Space Remake was ftw. Skeletonising necromorphs with the shockwave gun was great. And it was a vastly more enjoyable exploration experience as one big interconnected map.

That said if they do decide to do Dead Space 2 I'm praying they just do cool graphics and leave the rest as is. It still owns hard and as soon as I finished the Remake I started the sequel (:pray: Gamepass ftmfw :pray:)

Got my eyes on that System Shock remake. Dunno if I'm feeling it yet but even for a gamer like me the original is hard to get into.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re5 was considered "somewhat racist" back before it was a big press topic, I can't imagine how badly it comes off now

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
as someone who didn't play the original RE4 I am enjoying the remake a lot and I think it's going to convince me to play the original down the line

This is the only RE game that's clicked for me, it's made me enjoy the series enough I may go back and take another swing at RE2make (i fell off after I had to start playing Claire)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I also stopped playing RE2make as soon as I got to the Claire route, I should change that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

6 is the f rist one i just stopped playing lol

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

The Resident Evil 4 VR remake is also really good. They put the mercenaries mode in like 6 months back. I had trouble with the original but had a blast with it in VR.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I mostly think remasters are bullshit to sell people games they already own, but I never would have played Xenoblade 1 if it weren't for definitive edition, so I'm glad they did that at least. It's dumb because I bought the original the day it came out for my brother's birthday but I never got around to playing it despite him telling me I had to, but at least I got there eventually. Now he's the dumb one refusing to play 2 or 3.

X1DE isn't a remaster so much as "we finished the game properly this time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I got stuck on the very first part of 5. Haven't played one since. Eventually I'll get around to the first person games.