Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hah, I just unintentionally won a fight that I thought was doomed after MANY attempts by a move made purely out of frustration. It was the type of match in Shadow of Rome that requires you to beat more enemies than your rival while ALSO getting 20,000 salvo points (how much the crowd likes you). I had a minute left, no good weapons and a trifling 11000 points and was really annoyed, so I threw my weapon intending it to go into the stands - then this text came up in quick succession: "Thrown Weapon, Domino Effect, BONUS SALVO!" and I suddenly doubled my points, so spent the rest of the fight just trying not to die as I hate the missions with minimum salvo requirements. It was SO satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm really enjoying the RE4 remake. I just finished the bit where you're being swarmed by ganados in a barn with Luis and Ashley and have to defend yourself for some time. It's my favorite part in the original RE4.

In RE4R, they don't just shove Ashley into a wardrobe, there's like a crawlspace she goes through and they block with a wardrobe. The standoff works pretty similar, but escalates until it becomes unmanageable when Ashley busts in through another entrance she found, and they all barely escape and drop a porticullis behind them. It feels much better and way more tense than the original where ganados kinda get bored and go "vamonos..." :smith:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

The original sounded like "waaaaah my family was murdered"

The absolutely funniest part of the punisher game was when you went into "punisher mode " or whatever they called the bullet time thing that every third person shooter was legally required to have in the early-mid 00s it would play random sounds from previous cutscenes. Even during the set piece kills where you'd get people with environmental objects (that you could also use to interrogate people with)

I have an extremely vivid memory of going through a big firefight sequence, going into punisher mode, and having the voice line "smells like Joan's baking some cookies..." playing while the punisher killed a man with a drill press

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The absolutely funniest part of the punisher game was when you went into "punisher mode " or whatever they called the bullet time thing that every third person shooter was legally required to have in the early-mid 00s it would play random sounds from previous cutscenes. Even during the set piece kills where you'd get people with environmental objects (that you could also use to interrogate people with)

I have an extremely vivid memory of going through a big firefight sequence, going into punisher mode, and having the voice line "smells like Joan's baking some cookies..." playing while the punisher killed a man with a drill press

Thanks I just burst out laughing at that while at the gym and looked like a proper weirdo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Capcom did it again with RE and demos

In the demo you get to where the dog was and there isn't a saveable dog, of course this meant Capcom removed the dog from the game and not that it's a demo and they did something different.

Then it turned out that hey it was just a demo and they did something different

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Len posted:

[/spoiler]

They moved the second encounter with the chainsaw enemy to right before Salvador’s house instead of right after it.

Such a minor change, but I love it because it was probably made specifically to mess with people who have played the original and to remind them that their prior knowledge can harm as much as hurt them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

In the demo you get to where the dog was and there isn't a saveable dog, of course this meant Capcom removed the dog from the game and not that it's a demo and they did something different.

Maybe I'm just falling for low effort trolling again but, RE7 was 6 years ago, just let it loving go that people are looking at things released for demonstration purposes and drawing conclusions based on that. If Capcom didn't want people talking about the dog they wouldn't have placed a dead one in the equivalent spot in the demo they released to the public.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nah it's still funny that people go "it wasn't in the demo/trailer it's not in the game"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ixion has an incredibly pretty rendition of FTL travel, which I'm a sucker for.

It also has a techbro CEO monologuing on about how he's the only person who can save the world-- while sending off a spaceship so shoddy it doesn't even have batteries to do a FTL test run.
(Solar panels without batteries is all you need in space right? While both your engines and jump drive take up all the power they produce? Having the entire interior have an electrical blackout when moving seems like a design flaw.)

I dunno if I like the game yet, though it is pretty interesting.(Though I worry it'll be one of those kind of unsatisfying 'juggle resources back and forth forever' strategy games.)

Also it has an option to pause voice line playback when in the pause menu, which is nice.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Leon in RE4 remake after defeating the plagas in armor:

Ashley: Leon are you ok?
Leon: Shieah. Nighty night... knights.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SubNat posted:

Ixion has an incredibly pretty rendition of FTL travel, which I'm a sucker for.

It also has a techbro CEO monologuing on about how he's the only person who can save the world-- while sending off a spaceship so shoddy it doesn't even have batteries to do a FTL test run.
(Solar panels without batteries is all you need in space right? While both your engines and jump drive take up all the power they produce? Having the entire interior have an electrical blackout when moving seems like a design flaw.)

I dunno if I like the game yet, though it is pretty interesting.(Though I worry it'll be one of those kind of unsatisfying 'juggle resources back and forth forever' strategy games.)

Also it has an option to pause voice line playback when in the pause menu, which is nice.

I really wish it didn't have so many little irritating dumbass fiddly bits to just make it harder, because holy poo poo the presentation is just top tier.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

More RE4R: Ashley narrowly escapes plaga armors in an elevator. "Whew. I am done with armor." The elevator door opens to a room full of armors.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I'm playing Shadowrun for the Genesis (the best Shadowrun game until HBS' Dragonfall and Hong Kong), and this bar song loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjuhIG_rf8

Sorry, Johnson, I've gotta enjoy this sweet music for a bit before you offer me another lovely ghoul run.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

I really wish it didn't have so many little irritating dumbass fiddly bits to just make it harder, because holy poo poo the presentation is just top tier.

Yeah, it's absolutely fodder for the dragging things down thread, because god is 'have to micromanage a bunch of individual resources manually at all times' a thing dragging down a lot of these 'survival citybuilder' games that have gotten popular lately.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

beats for junkies posted:

I'm playing Shadowrun for the Genesis (the best Shadowrun game until HBS' Dragonfall and Hong Kong), and this bar song loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjuhIG_rf8

Sorry, Johnson, I've gotta enjoy this sweet music for a bit before you offer me another lovely ghoul run.

Goddamn do I love that game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Not the Genesis one but I do love that Armitage from the Nintendo game got a cameo in the og HBs game and in an official adventure book. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RE4 has new enemies

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, I unfortunately petered out a little as well. Maybe at some point I'll just do a cheat run, because all the story bits are really neat and interesting.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Even with cheats it was too tedious for me but then again this was before patches so maybe it's better now

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If you play Untitled Goose Game in co-op, the late title card after the tutorial changes the title to Untitled Geese Game. :honk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The ending story arc of Power Wash Simulator is delightfully silly nonsense, full 5 stars, would pressure wash again. :allears:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The ending story arc of Power Wash Simulator is delightfully silly nonsense, full 5 stars, would pressure wash again. :allears:

Just picked this up in the last Steam sale, and same.

I'm not usually into the Manual Labor Simulator genre of games, but there is so much...something here. Of course, the fact that I have a list of real life power wash chores that are eagerly awaiting warm weather means that I get to scratch the itch at least a little bit.

The sound is also really, surprisingly deep. All the washers, extenders, and nozzles sound different. They feel different, which is impressive given what this game is.

If I was designing a sequel, I think I would add a hard mode where if you just used the power nozzles on something like thin plastic or wood up close, it would damage the material, and cost you stars/money.

One thing that I wish was an option was the ability to change the highlight dirt color. Yeah, in most situations getting to see a bright orange flash really highlights where you should be looking/spraying. But on a bright yellow surface in direct, simulated sunlight, it doesn't pop so much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

grittyreboot posted:

I don't remember the sound the original Punisher made, but I don't think this one sounds very unique.

A thing I was worried about is knife durability. But repairing it is cheap and the game throws money at you.

Another thing I'm worried about is the added stealth mechanic. I'm just past the Del Lago fight and I hope there's no mandatory stealth sections.

Overall the game feels great and it changes enough so it feels like I'm playing RE4 for the first time again.

The only stealth that comes up later is "do you want to spare a bullet or two and stab this guy in the neck"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten the Argent Facility in Doom 2016. I love how deliberate Doom Marine's destructive capabilities are. He's told how to safely deactivate the hell energy things so that they can be rebooted, and he just makes a point of kicking them to pieces, with the lead scientist not cottoning on at first that he's doing this on purpose, because they SHOULDN'T be playing with hell energy. Especially how emphatic the final one is.

"If you destroy this one, Argent energy will no longer exist in this solar system... we will be back to square one"

Doomguy cracks his knuckles, balls them into a fist, and starts punching

The game kind of makes me feel that while being a force of destruction, he's a calm one. The combat putting you into a kind of zen state when you are playing well implies that he's ironically at peace as he loses himself to his gunplay and tears the poo poo out of all his enemies. If the company were truly doing something worthwhile and not loving with hell energy, he'd probably be a lot less spitefully destructive. I kind of feel that he treats the forces of hell as vermin to exterminate, it's not always personal (the time they killed his rabbit notwithstanding). His ACTUAL ire is saved for the idiots who keep bringing them into our dimension.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah Doom 2016 is a miracle. I still haven't played eternal but if Doom 2016 was a sick heavy metal album cover brought to life Eternal seems like discovering it was actually a part 1 of a 6 part fold-out panorama

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For all that Doomguy never says a word and barely emotes with his body language, he makes his attitude abundantly clear by his actions.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

2016 doomguy is a mastery in showing and not telling when it comes to his attitude and personality yeah.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RE4 Remake:

I love how it's absolutely destroyed my confidence. I've played the original and remaster close to a dozen times, I was not expecting 1:1 remake here.

But it is trolling the poo poo out of me. Those bear traps from almost 20 years ago? We moved them. all of them. I just got lured by a villager into two other villagers while trying to stealth. It's just so refreshing.

Best way to summarize it is they leaned into the From Software philosophy of "gently caress you have having expected to get a handout here, suffer instead"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't expect to say it, but the Power Wash Simulator x Tomb Raider crossover DLC was not a huge leap.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Beastie posted:

RE4 Remake:

I love how it's absolutely destroyed my confidence. I've played the original and remaster close to a dozen times, I was not expecting 1:1 remake here.

But it is trolling the poo poo out of me. Those bear traps from almost 20 years ago? We moved them. all of them. I just got lured by a villager into two other villagers while trying to stealth. It's just so refreshing.

Best way to summarize it is they leaned into the From Software philosophy of "gently caress you have having expected to get a handout here, suffer instead"

I watched a streamer who played RE4 a lot get spooked by a chainsaw villager appearing where they don't normally, parry a goddamned chainsaw with a kitchen knife, do a quick turn to run away and promptly walk into a bear trap. There's a unique kill if a chainsaw villager kills you from behind! :v:

The remake definitely expects you to be familiar with the original, and will gently caress with you for trying to lean too heavily on that knowledge.

Remake Luis also rules

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the next game leon's in should have a bear trap in the first area, for old time's sake

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

darkwasthenight posted:

Didn't expect to say it, but the Power Wash Simulator x Tomb Raider crossover DLC was not a huge leap.

and now we have the ff7 one which ties those two universes together

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

darkwasthenight posted:

Yeah it makes no sense when you start the game, but perfect sense once you finish it :allears:.

graybook posted:

and now we have the ff7 one which ties those two universes together

The Midgar DLC is real good, as it takes place in the background of the first arc of FFVII to the point of you even hear the reactor blow up mid-way through cleaning the scale model of the city.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The RE4 remake has little charms you can earn from the shooting minigame which give you bonuses. The bonus for the Stryker shotgun charm is increasing your movement speed by 8%.

This is a reference to the Ditman speedrunning strat in the original RE4 where by aiming the Stryker and then changing weapons your movement speed is increased.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten the Argent Facility in Doom 2016. I love how deliberate Doom Marine's destructive capabilities are. He's told how to safely deactivate the hell energy things so that they can be rebooted, and he just makes a point of kicking them to pieces, with the lead scientist not cottoning on at first that he's doing this on purpose, because they SHOULDN'T be playing with hell energy. Especially how emphatic the final one is.

"If you destroy this one, Argent energy will no longer exist in this solar system... we will be back to square one"

Doomguy cracks his knuckles, balls them into a fist, and starts punching

The game kind of makes me feel that while being a force of destruction, he's a calm one. The combat putting you into a kind of zen state when you are playing well implies that he's ironically at peace as he loses himself to his gunplay and tears the poo poo out of all his enemies. If the company were truly doing something worthwhile and not loving with hell energy, he'd probably be a lot less spitefully destructive. I kind of feel that he treats the forces of hell as vermin to exterminate, it's not always personal (the time they killed his rabbit notwithstanding). His ACTUAL ire is saved for the idiots who keep bringing them into our dimension.

"You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

The RE4 remake has little charms you can earn from the shooting minigame which give you bonuses. The bonus for the Stryker shotgun charm is increasing your movement speed by 8%.

This is a reference to the Ditman speedrunning strat in the original RE4 where by aiming the Stryker and then changing weapons your movement speed is increased.

So thats why! Awesome

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

moosecow333 posted:

I think I have 8 charms so far and every one of them is for selling things or crafting, I want other types :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah it makes no sense when you start the game, but perfect sense once you finish it :allears:.

The Midgar DLC is real good, as it takes place in the background of the first arc of FFVII to the point of you even hear the reactor blow up mid-way through cleaning the scale model of the city.

Is this like the FRIENDS game meme or is this poo poo real because I honestly can’t tell

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is this like the FRIENDS game meme or is this poo poo real because I honestly can’t tell

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/powerwash-simulator-midgar-special-pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
God dammit ok fine I’ll get the game