Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alhazred posted:

But there was never a mystery about who killed Caesar and Brutus was fairly well known too. There was in fact graffiti in Rome that encouraged Brutus to kill Caesar.

The conceit of the game is that the perps framed Agrippa's father for the crime then lied about it to the public, so it's kind of built one. And it's fun to have a character figure out something that the player already knows because it's a historical fact that it happened, so while it's kind of alt-history it's an entertaining one. Also without the manufactured conspiracy angle there wouldn't be an excuse to watch someone slip in honey, fall on their butt and get attacked by bees, so it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make in the name of it being fun.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

BioEnchanted posted:

I am enjoying aspects of the mystery. like Octavianus hears about Caesars last words (the guy taking the fall heard them while running to his aid and found his body) and figures out a lot by deconstructing the grammar. Like "Et tu, Brute...'And you too, Brutus'... so there was a guy called Brutus, who sounds like he was close to my Uncle, plus other accomplices involved..." and so he has to figure out who Marcus Brutus is because he doesn't know his late uncle's inner circle very well and now I'm following him to try to find out more about the conspiracy that Brutus and Cicero are part of.

All other dubious historicity aside, Caesar's last words weren't actually "et tu, Brute?" - that's entirely an invention by Billy S. Hell, those technically aren't even his last words in the play, he follows it up with "Then fall, Caesar" before keeling over.

Not that anyone should care about how accurate a goofy game is, but it sounds like it take some hilarious liberties with history.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It does have some fun variations, like when breaking into the Senate House you don't do it the same way twice - the first time you find a disguise in the building across from the senate so that you can pass as a Senator (who's guard you get rid of by seeing that in the Forum area a bunch of guards are on strike due to a pay issue and you convince him to join the protest) and the second time you have to go there, you see a bunch of civilians protesting as Caesar promised each citizen 300 denari and the senate are dragging their feet on doing that since the assassination, and you deliberately go to the podium and rile them up so that they storm the senate and distract the guards. That second one was a lot of fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulul posted:

All other dubious historicity aside, Caesar's last words weren't actually "et tu, Brute?" - that's entirely an invention by Billy S. Hell, those technically aren't even his last words in the play, he follows it up with "Then fall, Caesar" before keeling over.

Not that anyone should care about how accurate a goofy game is, but it sounds like it take some hilarious liberties with history.

Suetonius claims it was actually Greek: 'kai su tekenon' which colloquially was 'gently caress you, sonny'

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sebmojo posted:

Suetonius claims it was actually Greek: 'kai su tekenon' which colloquially was 'gently caress you, sonny'

That's pretty good. I'll have to start working on a list of last words tailored to whoever's around me at the time, rather than just general surprise/disappointment.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please don't, goons have an insanely bad record at taking inspiration from suetonius

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

please don't, goons have an insanely bad record at taking inspiration from suetonius

Suetonius deez nuts.

(Honestly though could you explain?)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Suetonius deez nuts.

(Honestly though could you explain?)

It's honestly best if no one explains it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lobok posted:

I don't believe in any of that LG TV BBQ nonsense, there's only 2 genitives like God intended.

omenain
omenien
omenojen
omenoiden
omenoitten

e: Personally I consider it weird the possessive suffix isn't considered a marker of a separate kind of genitive. The linguists really dropped the ball here (again).

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Mar 20, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So far as I'm aware, this phrase dates back to Devil May Cry 1, where Dante tells Gryphon "Flock off, featherface!":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHWRTUdYimI

It dates back to at least 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XoifYo9JCM&t=206s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A little detail I always enjoyed is your castle base for wolf school witchers in Witcher 1 and 3. In a lot of games that go back to old locations they change it quite a bit and you have to pretend it looked like that. I'm thinking of the jedi conclave in SWTOR or the remnants of the hero guild in Fable 2. They don't match up at all.

But the castle in witcher 3 is exactly how you left it in Witcher 1. To the point where if you played the game you already know where certain rooms are and how to get there.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bioenchanted keeps coming up with games that I'm gonna have to buy.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Byzantine posted:

Bioenchanted keeps coming up with games that I'm gonna have to buy.

It's Shadow of Rome, not Shadow of Itself Rome, not sure you'll appreciate it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

ow

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

:owned:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is this the place for me to :actually: mention that the Eastern Roman Empire was significantly wealthier, stronger, and had a higher standard of living than the West for most of its history?

No, perhaps not.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

exquisite tea posted:

Is this the place for me to :actually: mention that the Eastern Roman Empire was significantly wealthier, stronger, and had a higher standard of living than the West for most of its history?

No, perhaps not.

i was gonna post ur 3 ugly guys + cassandra gangtag but then i remembered that was not the correct time and now i want to be mad at this post but i cant

wait a second here if the "eastern roman empire" didnt have rome under its rule then wtf that dosnt count! ive been tricked for how long

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ive had a few drinks and now i am mad!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As I understand it, the name "Byzantine Empire" is entirely an invention of later historians to help distinguish the ERE and WRE. The ERE was contemporaneously called the Roman Empire for the entirety of its existence.

Just wait till you hear about the Holy Roman Empire, the Third Rome, and the Sultanate of Rum!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It had the newer, better Rome

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i know about Rum cuz that kicks rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gaius Marius posted:

It had the newer, better Rome

Rome 2.0

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Romania is to Rome what Wrestlemania is to Wrestling.

They had amazing Impale Per Views, the best of which has to be the legendary Hike To The Spike summer event of 1462

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

1stGear posted:

the Sultanate of Rum!

Love his raisins

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

2 Rome 2 Furious

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alexander Hamilton posted:

That game seems cool but is so wildly ahistorical that I think my eye would twitch the entire time I played it.

Maybe I had a fever dream, but doesn't the game open with Boudicca leading an army of elephants into Rome?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samovar posted:

Maybe I had a fever dream, but doesn't the game open with Boudicca leading an army of elephants into Rome?

That's Ryse: Son of Rome, I believe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

1stGear posted:

Just wait till you hear about the Holy Roman Empire, the Third Rome, and the Sultanate of Rum!

I don't know what the consensus is on who the Third Rome is but I think we can all agree the Fourth one suuuuuucked

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love that in Bayonetta Origins (non-plot spoiler)

One of the late bosses is the absolute default Paradiso angel scrub enemy that Bayonetta massacres in droves in earlier games. Really makes you feel how much more powerful she becomes when one of these things is treated as a huge threat."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zero_Grade posted:

2 Rome 2 Furious

Followed by ROM3.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Byzantium Drift

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm finding it hilarious that the main bosses in Shadow of Rome are a step away from being a Kojima/Metal Gear squad. They are just crazed enough in concept to be unrealistic in the kind of goofy way you'd expect, although not quite THAT far as aperson who is a living beehive. They even have a squad name - the Valcross. So far there've been 2, a woman who controls vultures and hops around madly firing flaming arrows and a narcissist who has a souped up chariot that you have to beat in a Chariot Race. I'm looking forward to seeing what other gimmicks the later ones have.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In RE4 Remake shooting enemies with the Punisher will leave bullet holes in the wall behind them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

In RE4 Remake shooting enemies with the Punisher will leave bullet holes in the wall behind them.

Does it still make the coolest noise of all the pistols? That was the secret reason I actually used it in the original, shooting through people was neat but didn't outweigh the more powerful pistols.

My current favorite thing is that Leon can suplex a dude all the way from the beginning of the game, you no longer need to arbitrarily wait for the middle section of the game when other enemy types show up.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Does it still make the coolest noise of all the pistols? That was the secret reason I actually used it in the original, shooting through people was neat but didn't outweigh the more powerful pistols.

My current favorite thing is that Leon can suplex a dude all the way from the beginning of the game, you no longer need to arbitrarily wait for the middle section of the game when other enemy types show up.

I don't remember the sound the original Punisher made, but I don't think this one sounds very unique.

A thing I was worried about is knife durability. But repairing it is cheap and the game throws money at you.

Another thing I'm worried about is the added stealth mechanic. I'm just past the Del Lago fight and I hope there's no mandatory stealth sections.

Overall the game feels great and it changes enough so it feels like I'm playing RE4 for the first time again.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Frontiers: You can go fishing and then grill with Big the Cat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

After getting 300,000 points cumulatively in the arena parts, I have unlocked some armour in Shadow of Rome. I had no idea that that would happen and it's pretty cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

grittyreboot posted:

I don't remember the sound the original Punisher made

The original sounded like "waaaaah my family was murdered"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
RE4 remake added stealth kills, which is fine in its own right. What I really appreciate is that they allow you to stealth kill enemies who have just turned around and seen you, but would have no way to react in time.

So many stealth games have it so if enemies see you they're immediately immune to stealth blows and the alarm is raised, for a game that is not centered around stealth at all to allow that is awesome.