Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

It's fine, it's OK, hey everyone let's talk about some path that has not been so heavily tread!

Hey! Since the D&D movie looks to have been pretty successful, is this the industry's Iron Man I? Marvel finally got a good superhero movie made and it opened the floodgates. A good D&D movie that has box office success should lead to more... or, unlike how Marvel Studios had been created to keep production in-house and thereby have more control (random other studios inevitably killed prior superhero films by endless re-writes, finding d-tier directors, never spending on top actors, etc. and Marvel did... not that, and it worked), was this a fluke and we're going to see garbage movies in the future?

There's apparently a Joe Manganiello Dragonlance thing happening, and I expect we'll see a Drizzt movie attempt as well. I don't think it'll be nearly as successful as the MCU for the simple reason that D&D doesn't have nearly as clearly identifiable nor as many characters to hang movies on as Marvel does. They'll likely try, but it's much closer to trying to get the Dark Universe (that Universal Monsters one the dire Tom Cruise Mummy movie was from) going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It's fine, it's OK, hey everyone let's talk about some path that has not been so heavily tread!

Hey! Since the D&D movie looks to have been pretty successful, is this the industry's Iron Man I? Marvel finally got a good superhero movie made and it opened the floodgates. A good D&D movie that has box office success should lead to more... or, unlike how Marvel Studios had been created to keep production in-house and thereby have more control (random other studios inevitably killed prior superhero films by endless re-writes, finding d-tier directors, never spending on top actors, etc. and Marvel did... not that, and it worked), was this a fluke and we're going to see garbage movies in the future?

If they manage to make a few more good D&D movies in a row, I can see there being a, sigh, D&D Cinematic Universe with the D&D Movie guys in charge of it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Regardless of what Halloween Jack said, it's an important part of responding to Chris Sims' assertion in the tweet, aka what we're talking about overall.
I'm with Arivia here, Leperflesh was clearly telling HJ to stop being needlessly inflammatory, not to shut down discussion of Chris Sims being needlessly inflammatory.*

Lack of interest means I know (halloween) jack all about OSR stuff but I'd assume the heartbreaker/actually worth playing ratio is comparable to 3.x.

Does torchbearer count?

*e:*reloads page* or maybe not lol

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Megazver posted:

If they manage to make a few more good D&D movies in a row, I can see there being a, sigh, D&D Cinematic Universe with the D&D Movie guys in charge of it.

"Cinematic Universes" need to die in a fire. It's a dumb marketing gimmick name for sequels and I hate it.

With that said, give me a Ravenloft movie you cowards! Or just make a film adaptation of the D&D cartoon.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

As much as I hate to be that guy I think we have to wait for box office numbers before we can say whether it's successful. It seems good in a Marvel/Fast and Furious/John Wick kind of way, but that has to translate to big dollars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Leperflesh posted:

This is tossing grenades, there's plenty of OSR fans here on SA who you are basically attacking here
I play OSR games and post in the relevant thread a lot. I've said the same thing in that thread, and I don't think anyone was upset.

Adventures Dark & Deep, Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Delving Deeper, and 7 Voyages of Zylarthen are some examples I can cite of games that aren't straight retroclones, but which I think add little or nothing of value to the games upon which they're based. I doubt any of these games (or several others I could name) have passionate fanbases on SA. I'm not taking a dump on e.g. OSE or DCC here.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Runequest movie or GTFO. :colbert:

Party of Humakti Ducks on a heroquest to bring down the Red Moon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

There's apparently a Joe Manganiello Dragonlance thing happening, and I expect we'll see a Drizzt movie attempt as well. I don't think it'll be nearly as successful as the MCU for the simple reason that D&D doesn't have nearly as clearly identifiable nor as many characters to hang movies on as Marvel does. They'll likely try, but it's much closer to trying to get the Dark Universe (that Universal Monsters one the dire Tom Cruise Mummy movie was from) going.

There's dozens of novels from dragonlance and some other settings. Marvel heroes like spider-man have broad cultural recognition, but by now they've dug deeper and many characters that the general non comic-book-reading public wouldn't have likely heard of, like Ant Man and Daredevil and the Guardians of the Galaxy have had successful films or shows. The D&D fiction back catalog may not be quite as deep as Marvel's, but it's deep enough to milk for decades if they wanted to.

admanb posted:

As much as I hate to be that guy I think we have to wait for box office numbers before we can say whether it's successful. It seems good in a Marvel/Fast and Furious/John Wick kind of way, but that has to translate to big dollars.

That's a good point, and I'm probably jumping the gun by deciding it's going to be successful, but it's been reviewing positively.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

admanb posted:

Correct.

Also, even box office success doesn't necessarily mean a giant flood of fantasy movies. Or did I miss the next big outpouring of fantasy movies after LOTR was dominant at the box office for years in a row?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

joylessdivision posted:

"Cinematic Universes" need to die in a fire. It's a dumb marketing gimmick name for sequels and I hate it.

With that said, give me a Ravenloft movie you cowards! Or just make a film adaptation of the D&D cartoon.
Truth.

I feel like if they tried to do a Ravenloft movie as their next project, it would be too derivative of other popular stuff, and too light and goofy in tone, to really land.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

Correct.

Also, even box office success doesn't necessarily mean a giant flood of fantasy movies. Or did I miss the next big outpouring of fantasy movies after LOTR was dominant at the box office for years in a row?

Well, I don't think Leperflesh is asking if we expect a bunch of clones, but if we expect Hasbro to try to turn it into an cinematic franchise.

but also I feel like LOTR would've felt impossible to replicate in a way that Honor Among Thieves very much does not.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Halloween Jack posted:

Truth.

I feel like if they tried to do a Ravenloft movie as their next project, it would be too derivative of other popular stuff, and too light and goofy in tone, to really land.

I think a Ravenloft movie would be better played straight - unironically lean into the gothic horror vibe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Correct.

Well, since Fellowship in 2001 they tried a new Conan movie (but it sucked), Solomon Kane (which I never heard of), a Peter Pan, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies kicked off in 2003, arguably League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was more of a SF film I guess, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas lol, Earthsea (2004), the Hellboy movies, Van Helsing, in 2005 we got adaptation of The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe... a Hercules in 2005, Beowulf & Grendel 2006... Eragon, Tales from Earthsea, Stardust...

like I don't know how many of these were made only because of Lord of the Rings but probably at least some of them maybe

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Memnaelar posted:

Correct.

Off the top of my head:

Successful:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Underworld
Pan's Labyrinth

Unsuccessful:
Narnia
Golden Compass
A Wrinkle in Time
At least one D&D movie
Some other urban fantasy movies

Narnia and The Golden Compass really but the nail in the coffin.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I want an incredibly horny Ravenloft movie that keeps cutting back to a bunch of repressed nerds who each think they're the only one who wants to bone everyone else at the table. Eventually the constant sexual tension and love pentagon drama in the frame narrative becomes the actual movie.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Off the top of my head:

Successful:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Underworld
Pan's Labyrinth

Unsuccessful:
Narnia
Golden Compass
A Wrinkle in Time
At least one D&D movie
Some other urban fantasy movies

Narnia and The Golden Compass really but the nail in the coffin.

and superhero movies had fits and starts for decades prior, too. The original Superman movies and the tim burton Batman were very successful but were followed by films that ranged from just OK to a lot of garbage.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deptfordx posted:

Lol. I was also 'Who's that? Well the guy on the Right kinda looks like Vince Vaughn, but it can't be, unless he's really gone to seed'.

Sorry Vince.

Edit: drat. Ed Greenwood is only 63.

He's less than five years older than me!? What the absolute gently caress?! I'm not pretty, but I don't look like a starved refugee wizard from a lovely fantasy film.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think a big part of what made the MCU so successful is that it was directly lifting plotlines that had been developed over like the past fifty years in comic book form, which means they could work from a roadmap and focus on adapting them to the screen instead of also having to plan out a whole cohesive story in advance. I'd argue this is a big reason why Disney Star Wars is flopping so hard, they never had a coherent plan and were making it up as they went.

I know D&D has a lot of books, is any of it actually suitable for basing a whole extended storyline off of or would they have to build it all from scratch?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

There's dozens of novels from dragonlance and some other settings. Marvel heroes like spider-man have broad cultural recognition, but by now they've dug deeper and many characters that the general non comic-book-reading public wouldn't have likely heard of, like Ant Man and Daredevil and the Guardians of the Galaxy have had successful films or shows. The D&D fiction back catalog may not be quite as deep as Marvel's, but it's deep enough to milk for decades if they wanted to.

It's also old and significantly culturally outdated. As much as I love my collection of rapidly aging FR novels, they ARE rapidly aging. We've now gone through a decade of just Drizzt novels and maybe two Ed Greenwood Elminster books. WotC had to be sued to get that new Dragonlance book printed.

The secret sauce of the MCU (and it's not really secret, they've talked about it openly) is letting the comics themselves keep riding with good, new blood and encouraging them to make new characters who can then be merchandised and turned into multimedia figures. Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales: those are new characters with diverse appeals and none of them are legacy characters with significant representation issues. (Unlike Drizzt or Elminster.)

There WAS an effort in the WotC novels division during late 3e and 4e to start onboarding new authors with new characters and new stories to tell, but that all got dropped going into 5e. There were a fair number of young female/queer fans who really liked the Brimstone Angels series by Erin M. Evans, for example, but the last book for that was at the beginning of 5e with the Sundering.

WotC has been focusing on iconifying and merchandizing villains (probably a better word for the former but lol i forget), like Tiamat, Vecna, and the Xanathar. They really haven't been building up the actual heroes to hang a franchise on: even in stuff like the MtG sets they've been going back to "hey you like those characters from Baldur's Gate II 20 years ago right" far more than making anything new.

They've also collapsed the worlds that they can tell stories in by underdeveloping them (ie the common idea of a Remembered Realms that's the Sword Coast North and the Western Heartlands.) So you can't sell someone on "oh come see the adaptation of fan-favourite Forgotten Realms novel Spellfire, a perfect introduction to the setting" because it's in Cormyr and the Dalelands and they've not touched those for years.

They can go ahead and do "a Planescape movie" or "a Spelljammer movie" but they can't go "Okay, here's the Great Modron March or Ghost Ships: the Movie." If I try to think about classic stories in D&D, with identifiable heroes, they are incredibly far removed from the D&D that WotC is selling nowadays. And WotC has to do what the Avengers did for Marvel (in terms of characters the mass media might not know) but even harder because a lot of the existing brand fans aren't gonna know who Kang the Draconian is, or Alias, or the Princess Ark.

Bonus difficulty: (spoilers for the movie) my understanding (without having seen the movie but having seen the trailer and heard some discussion) is that they fuckin blew through a whole lot of stuff in their Remembered Realms to have a bunch of interesting set pieces. They've already used Neverwinter (my guess is that Forge is a take on Lord Neverember), Gracklestugh and Themberchaud (their fat dragon), Valindra Shadowmantle and Szass Tam. Even if Tam's supposed to be their overhanging villain to build towards like a Thanos, they've burnt his most recognizable support structure on the Sword Coast. They're starting with little and they're already eating it up super quickly. In contrast Marvel could just grab the Collector from some Hulk comic you've never heard of and drop him in, but WotC doesn't have that deep a pool of references. They intentionally cut their canon so short already.

e: to answer Colonel Cool more directly, the only storyline WotC has directly put in front of their current audience and that you can hang a franchise off of is the Legend of Drizzt, all 20 or however many books about Drizzt. There used to be many more D&D novel series, but they're all significantly outdated, problematic, or part of settings and characters that WotC hasn't touched in like a decade. Drizzt himself has the big problem that he's arguably "elf, but in blackface" (not to start a fight, just to point out that there's a significant racial/representation politics issue they're gonna have to tackle.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 29, 2023

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Well, since Fellowship in 2001 they tried a new Conan movie (but it sucked), Solomon Kane (which I never heard of), a Peter Pan, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies kicked off in 2003, arguably League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was more of a SF film I guess, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas lol, Earthsea (2004), the Hellboy movies, Van Helsing, in 2005 we got adaptation of The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe... a Hercules in 2005, Beowulf & Grendel 2006... Eragon, Tales from Earthsea, Stardust...

like I don't know how many of these were made only because of Lord of the Rings but probably at least some of them maybe

Didn't we also get a bunch of historical/fantasy war movies trying to capitalize on the battle scenes from Two Towers and Return of the King - Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, 300, King Arthur (2004), and yes, Narnia?

Apparently not Gladiator, though, that's from 2000.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WotC has already done an avengers thing with the War of the Spark novel. Which was pretty bad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Arivia posted:

They can go ahead and do "a Planescape movie" or "a Spelljammer movie" but they can't go "Okay, here's the Great Modron March or Ghost Ships: the Movie." If I try to think about classic stories in D&D, with identifiable heroes, they are incredibly far removed from the D&D that WotC is selling nowadays. And WotC has to do what the Avengers did for Marvel (in terms of characters the mass media might not know) but even harder because a lot of the existing brand fans aren't gonna know who Kang the Draconian is, or Alias, or the Princess Ark.

Time to adapt Pauli Kidd's Greyhawk novels.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Colonel Cool posted:

I think a big part of what made the MCU so successful is that it was directly lifting plotlines that had been developed over like the past fifty years in comic book form, which means they could work from a roadmap and focus on adapting them to the screen instead of also having to plan out a whole cohesive story in advance. I'd argue this is a big reason why Disney Star Wars is flopping so hard, they never had a coherent plan and were making it up as they went.

I know D&D has a lot of books, is any of it actually suitable for basing a whole extended storyline off of or would they have to build it all from scratch?

Yeah, MCU's overarching continuity is usually overstated. They can, will, do, and have completed ejected storylines or altered plans or shifted things drastically based around based on audience reaction, financial figures, and real world stuff. There's no doubt an overaching plan they're working off of, but they're doing the good GM thing and shifting the plan around to fit the movies rather than shifting the movies to fit the plan.

Star Wars 7-9, meanwhile, was three different movies going on three different plans with three different outlooks expressing three different perspectives on Star Wars, and jarringly so. For better or for worse, MCU films are way better at hiding their discontinuity either by having a stronger throughline "feel" or, often, by highlighting their continuity.

Terrible Opinions posted:

WotC has already done an avengers thing with the War of the Spark novel. Which was pretty bad.

And kind of the March of the Machines storyline that just wrapped, which actually had a lot of good chapters to it but ended pretty anticlimactically with Phyrexia getting completely curb stomped.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lumbermouth posted:

Time to adapt Pauli Kidd's Greyhawk novels.
Gord The Rogue extended cinematic universe when?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FMguru posted:

This guy gets it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

Thanos Snap except the Universe is destroyed totally and replaced by the much superior Yniverse

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Crisis on Oerth/Aerth/Yarth/Uerth/Earth

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Colonel Cool posted:

Theres probably a way to make a Balder's Gate movie work, or adapt some of the classic modules like Keep on the Borderlands or Temple of Elemental Evil

Give me the Eberron movie thats a thinly disguised war film in the trappings of a fantasy setting

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Omnicrom posted:

And kind of the March of the Machines storyline that just wrapped, which actually had a lot of good chapters to it but ended pretty anticlimactically with Phyrexia getting completely curb stomped.

I think they overcorrected after the last big myth arc of Nicol Bolas, because towards the end of that everyone was just screaming "END! EEENNND!" like a MST3K episode. So we had ONE where basically nothing happened other than planeswalkers getting compleated, and MOM where everything is happening. When this could probably be spread out across three sets.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Theres probably a way to make a Balder's Gate movie work, or adapt some of the classic modules like Keep on the Borderlands or Temple of Elemental Evil

That’s basically what the Kidd books are: her own characters being drawn into the plots of specific modules (White Plume Mountain, Descent Into The Depths Of The Earth, Queen Of The Demonweb Pits)

Those classic adventures are as close as D&D has to the legacy storylines of an MCU.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
gently caress I’d kill for a Princess Ark movie. But in all honesty there’s not enough there to pull into a coherent movie without leaving so much on the floor. It’d work better as a tv show but needs support from some other property to get off the ground. I’m not sure it would work with the current movie as I haven’t seen it.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Nope, because Disney has the luxury of doing almost everything in-house. Early on they were dependent on Paramount but even then Feige was onboard as a producer. Hasbro can’t make the same pivot as Disney could.

Also as the DCU and Star Wars have shown, there are not a ton of people who can successfully guide a massive franchise like that.

Best case scenario is Wick/Matrix/Fast and the Furious: plenty of sequels which make as much or more than the original, with a few failed spin-offs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Thanlis posted:

Nope, because Disney has the luxury of doing almost everything in-house. Early on they were dependent on Paramount but even then Feige was onboard as a producer. Hasbro can’t make the same pivot as Disney could.

Also as the DCU and Star Wars have shown, there are not a ton of people who can successfully guide a massive franchise like that.

Best case scenario is Wick/Matrix/Fast and the Furious: plenty of sequels which make as much or more than the original, with a few failed spin-offs.

I mean, Hasbro could just buy a movie studio, but that wouldn't happen until there are more successes.

Not to mention there has been scuttlebutt about Paramount seeking to sell itself or parts of itself from last year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean, Hasbro could just buy a movie studio, but that wouldn't happen until there are more successes.

Not to mention there has been scuttlebutt about Paramount seeking to sell itself or parts of itself from last year.

Hasbro owned a movie studio until real recently (eONE) and just sold it off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arivia posted:

did not know that. welp

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Arivia posted:

they still own the Hasbro-branded parts of it. for instance, honor among thieves was produced by both paramount and eOne

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shades of blue posted:

they still own the Hasbro-branded parts of it. for instance, honor among thieves was produced by both paramount and eOne

yeah it seems much more complicated than i remember it being when i saw the sale notice. my bad/incorrect.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Give me Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: The Movie. Either something original with the same gonzo feel or literally just run a session on some actors blind, then hand the table notes back to them as a film script.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Game of Thrones Bullshit going on in Cormyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Angrymog posted:

I think a Ravenloft movie would be better played straight - unironically lean into the gothic horror vibe.

I'd love a Ravenloft/Curse of Strahd movie, it's a fun setting, though I don't know, I think there would need to be some fun there, and not taking itself too seriously. Though also, I hope they wait a few years so the comparisons to a certain other vampire flop movie isn't compared to it.
(obligatory joke of "I loved it when Strahd said 'It's Strahding time' and Strahded all over the place")