Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Travic posted:

I read the bill on this and it looks like there is a section that says something like, "Claiming this law violates your constitutional rights is not a defense against this law." Am I reading that right?

i mean you can say whatever the gently caress you want, the real question is when enforcement time comes around. shades of "not responsible for broken windshields"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ershalim posted:

Probably going to regret asking this, but what exactly are the people saying we spend too little on border security complaining about? Do they want more camps, or more murders at the border, or some other thing that isn't occurring to me? I assume the question reads as border security [from Mexico], but is there another angle to it? Like, are people buying into copaganda that fentanyl from China is giving them Super Havana Syndrome or something?

They want it to be legal to hunt Mexicans for sport, and they want a world where the only dark-skinned people they ever have to interact with is the landscaper.

They're thoroughly convinced that all Mexicans are superhuman drug trafficking sexual assault cyborgs, except for the "good ones" who they happen to know personally.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Iamgoofball posted:

if they pass this, the second they try to enforce it and oregon/washington/california refuses to extradite someone, it's a federal interstate commerce issue and at that point we'll see what level of cool zone we're in on the matter

The point isn't to enforce it, it's to prevent anyone from trying. If you're a support group, are you willing to send your members and money to help transport someone in Idaho? Can Idahoans even get people to form such a group in Idaho?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Has there been much discussion here on the specifics of Senate Bill S. 686 (the "TikTok Bill") and how kinda shockingly snoopy it is? Apologies if I'm very late to a dead conversation but my friends and I in the real world are only just coming to look at this thing. It strikes me as both a patriot act expansion into the digital real and corporate protectionism for domestic tech companies (many of which seem to be getting washed in global competition over top social media brand.)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686?s=1&r=25

Would folks consider these correct assertions? Kinda makes sense that the media blitz has been so focused on it being the "TikTok ban" when the bill itself is so, so much more than just that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kalli posted:

The point isn't to enforce it, it's to prevent anyone from trying. If you're a support group, are you willing to send your members and money to help transport someone in Idaho? Can Idahoans even get people to form such a group in Idaho?

Yeah none of these are passed with the expectation that they hold up, it's about scaring.

I mean, they're not going to turn down a gentleman's 6-3 at SCOTUS, but that's not the immediate point

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Iamgoofball posted:

if they pass this, the second they try to enforce it and oregon/washington/california refuses to extradite someone, it's a federal interstate commerce issue and at that point we'll see what level of cool zone we're in on the matter

The tweet is misleading.

The bill makes it illegal to transport a minor for the purposes of an abortion *within the state*, without parental consent. That would include transporting them to the state border, but there's nothing in the law about crossing state lines. That's how they're trying to avoid interstate commerce issues.

Now whether this violates some freedom of assembly rights idk.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Has there been much discussion here on the specifics of Senate Bill S. 686 (the "TikTok Bill") and how kinda shockingly snoopy it is? Apologies if I'm very late to a dead conversation but my friends and I in the real world are only just coming to look at this thing. It strikes me as both a patriot act expansion into the digital real and corporate protectionism for domestic tech companies (many of which seem to be getting washed in global competition over top social media brand.)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686?s=1&r=25

Would folks consider these correct assertions? Kinda makes sense that the media blitz has been so focused on it being the "TikTok ban" when the bill itself is so, so much more than just that.

It's less patriot act and more protectionism for domestic tech companies + anti-Russian/Chinese government tech influence. Most of the bill revolves around giving the Commerce Secretary authority to require companies to either not use technology that could be used by a terrorist group or a foreign government to cause damage to U.S. infrastructure/spy or force them to store the data on American soil/spin off the tech to a non-Chinese/Russian company.

The bill isn't explicitly about Russia/China, but it is entirely about Russia/China having tech companies that are under control or owned by their respective states.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kalli posted:

This. The point of these laws are twofold, first to signal to your rabid base just how much you hate the Other, and second to scare people enough that they don't even try the thing you're trying to prevent, regardless of constitutionality or anything else really.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's less patriot act and more protectionism for domestic tech companies + anti-Russian/Chinese government tech influence. Most of the bill revolves around giving the Commerce Secretary authority to require companies to either not use technology that could be used by a terrorist group or a foreign government to cause damage to U.S. infrastructure/spy or force them to store the data on American soil/spin off the tech to a non-Chinese/Russian company.

boy howdy i sure hope there are good, meaningful limits, because you could make an argument that any site that allows user-generated content could be used for those purposes

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Forum accident posted:

Can't help but notice that it looks like this poll didn't ask people how they felt about military spending. You could cut military spending in half and easily make all the rest of those points presented as contradictory happen.

The survey did include cutting military spending, as the linked piece shows, and it garnered the highest percentage of pro-cut votes (eta: in the graphic posted by AP that I pasted below):

It was kind of... disingenuous to cut off the military spending in the tweet graphic, as Kapur did. It really does pay to click through & read the linked stories from tweets if they aren't paywalled, because otherwise the tweets, as well as those reposting it, are incorrectly mediating the news.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2023

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

boy howdy i sure hope there are good, meaningful limits, because you could make an argument that any site that allows user-generated content could be used for those purposes

Yeah this bill has a lot of the usual garbage vague language that just screams "flexible and wide reaching bill that can be weaponized against any perceived state enemy" and for those reasons alone it needs to be loving shitcanned.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kalli posted:

Of course. Groups have formed around providing safe transport out of states with bans, and something like this would never stop that. The law may discourage some Idahoans seeking abortion from seeking out those resources, because nobody will want to be the test case. It won't discourage people from helping.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zamujasa posted:

The short version is that it is defined as:

- Trafficking or selling nuclear, biological weapon, radiological, or toxic material.
- Causing mass severe damage to critical United States infrastructure.
- Importing narcotics into the country.
- Executing a terrorist attack against any government where planning was done in the United States.
- Operating an information or communication technology that has access to American financial assets or personal data that is owned or operated by a foreign government.

It's basically designed to target China (TikTok, ByteDance, WeChat, AliBaba, and Huewei) and Russia (Kaspersky anti-virus) to allow them to either block that tech or force a restructuring so the company that is owned or run by a foreign state has make the data and technology subject to American laws and out of control of the foreign state.

Plus, they threw in terrorists and nuclear weapons just to be sure.

The tl;dr version is: "Under current law, we can't act against or restrict these companies without restricting the entire industry. Let's set up a system where we can apply specific rules and security regulations to them without messing with the whole industry."

Basically, it's a bill that targets Russian/Chinese tech companies, but doesn't technically target Russian and Chinese tech companies.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Willa Rogers posted:

The survey did include cutting military spending, as the linked piece shows, and it garnered the highest percentage of pro-cut votes (eta: in the graphic posted by AP that I pasted below):

It was kind of... disingenuous to cut off the military spending in the tweet graphic, as Kapur did. It really does pay to click through & read the linked stories from tweets if they aren't paywalled, because otherwise the tweets, as well as those reposting it, are incorrectly mediating the news.

Technically this graphic is also chopping off a bunch of data. The NORC article has the actual full data. Foreign aid has the highest support for cuts (by a pretty large margin too lmao Americans are so loving stupid):

koolkal posted:

In graph form.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9ppz/nashville-shooting-marjorie-taylor-greene-matt-walsh-anti-trans

quote:

On Tuesday night, Fox News spread anti-trans hate and disinformation on a primetime show often viewed by millions. “The Trans movement is targeting Christians,” a big news banner stated on the Tucker Carlson Tonight segment. Carlson went on to claim that trans people are the “natural enemy” of Christians. 

I can't tell whether the right is just designating a scapegoat in defense of guns or if they're hoping to foment stochastic terrorism against conservatives in response as some kind of accelerationist thing. Obviously I know what the out-and-proud Nazis want but it's wild to me how overt the RWM sphere is getting with this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Most marijuana legalization at the state level is either dead or frozen in place until 2024, but Delaware has kind of come out of nowhere and passed a bill to legalize marijuana recreationally very quickly.

The Governor hasn't said whether he will sign it or not, but the legislature also passed it with a veto-proof majority.

https://twitter.com/kylejaeger/status/1640815702100807680

quote:

Delaware Senate Approves Marijuana Legalization And Sales Bills, Sending Them To The Governor

The Delaware Senate approved a pair of House-passed bills to legalize marijuana possession and establish regulations for an adult-use cannabis market on Tuesday, sending them to the governor.

The simple legalization proposal cleared the chamber in a 16-4 vote, while the regulatory measure passed in a 15-5 vote. Both pieces of legislation, which moved through Senate committees before advancing to the floor, are being sponsored by Rep. Ed Osienski (D).

“The legalization of adult-use recreational marijuana is inevitable because it is the will of the people,” Sen. Trey Paradee (D), who is carrying the legislation in the Senate, said ahead of the vote.

“Sixty percent of Delawareans believe that recreational use of marijuana should be legalized. That percentage will certainly grow quickly in the years to come,” he said. “The older generation that was fed Reefer Madness lies and propaganda is beginning to understand what the younger generation already knows: marijuana, by any measure, is far less harmful than alcohol, not as addictive as caffeine and nicotine and does not cause anywhere near the harmful side effects and astronomical health-related costs and consequences of tobacco and nicotine products.”

The sponsor took a similar, bifurcated approach for the reform last session and saw the legislature pass the basic legalization proposal while narrowly defeating the regulatory measure. Gov. John Carney (D) vetoed the former legislation, and the House didn’t have to votes for an override.

Osienski recently said that if the governor seeks to veto the legislation again this time, he’s “optimistic” and feels “pretty good” that they have the votes for an override.

“I think my colleagues are saying, ‘OK, you know, you had one shot at vetoing this, you did and you were successful, but don’t count on us supporting that veto again,’” he said.

Both the simple legalization bill and the sales regulation measure cleared both chambers with more than enough votes to override any potential veto.

Emily Hershman, the governor’s director of communications, told Marijuana Moment on Tuesday that he “continues to have strong concerns about the unintended consequences of legalizing marijuana for recreational use in our state, especially about the impacts on our young people and highway safety.”

“He knows others have honest disagreements on this issue,” she said. “But we don’t have anything new to share today about how the governor will act on HB 1 and HB 2 if they reach his desk.”

Here’s what the HB 1 legalization bill would accomplish:

State statute would be revised to legalize the possession, use, sharing and purchasing of up to one ounce of cannabis for adults 21 and older.

To avoid abuses of the “gifting” provision, the bill stipulates that “adult sharing” would not include giving away cannabis “contemporaneously with another reciprocal transaction between the same parties” such as an exchange of a non-marijuana item.

Public consumption and growing cannabis would remain prohibited.

People under 21 who engage in such activity would be subject to a civil penalty of up to $100 for a first offense. Police could use discretion and issue a citation in lieu of that fine, however.

Here’s an overview of the key provisions of the HB 2 regulatory bill:

The legislation would provide a basic framework to create a regulated system of cannabis commerce for adults in the state.

The Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement (DATE) would be responsible for regulating the market through a new Office of Marijuana Control Commissioner.

For the first 16 months of implementation, regulators could approve up to 30 cannabis retail licenses.

Applicants who show that they’d provide a living wage, health insurance coverage, sick and paid leave and focus on diversity in hiring would be prioritized in the licensing scoring process.

Seven percent of marijuana business fee revenue would go to a “Justice Reinvestment Fund” that supports restorative justice, workforce development, technical assistance for economically disadvantaged people and more.

That fund would also go toward “creating or developing technology to assist with the restoration of civil rights and expungement of criminal records.” However, the legislation itself doesn’t provide for automatic expungements.

In additional to conventional retail, cultivator, manufacturer and laboratory licenses, the bill would additional provide for social equity and microbusiness licenses (reserved for applicants with majority ownership by Delaware residents).

Localities would be able to prohibit marijuana businesses from operating in their area through ordinance.

Adult-use marijuana sales would be subject to a 15 percent sales tax. Medical cannabis products would not be taxed.

Prior to Tuesday’s vote on HB 2, members rejected two GOP-led amendments. One would have revised the structure of the cannabis regulatory commission and allowed people subject to fines, license suspensions or license revocations to request documents from regulators that are relevant to the action. The other would have removed references to labor peace agreement requirements for marijuana businesses.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9ppz/nashville-shooting-marjorie-taylor-greene-matt-walsh-anti-trans

I can't tell whether the right is just designating a scapegoat in defense of guns or if they're hoping to foment stochastic terrorism against conservatives in response as some kind of accelerationist thing. Obviously I know what the out-and-proud Nazis want but it's wild to me how overt the RWM sphere is getting with this.

It's both. The "blame everything but the gun" gambit has been their go-to tactic in response to mass shootings for literal decades. This is the first time they've had a major opportunity to openly link it to "oh and by the way, LGBTQ+ people should not exist by any means necessary". So these two branches of the tree of right wing violence reaching out an entwining with one another was a long time coming, but inevitable. They did this after the Club Q shooting too after the shooter's lawyer claimed he identified as non-binary to troll the media, "guns are not the problem here, it's the LGBTQ+ community that is, and the solution to that problem is more bullets in LGBTQ+ people".

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's both, but mostly the latter. They're trying to paint trans folks as "bad people" with fundamentally evil intentions and thus morally bankrupt, deserving of all sorts of discrimination, etc. Same as how they paint trans people as rapists and child molesters.

At the same time, it's consistent with their desire to respond to school shootings by talking about basically anything besides guns.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

koolkal posted:

Technically this graphic is also chopping off a bunch of data. The NORC article has the actual full data.

You are correct, which is why I modified my post to indicate that the chopped graphic was what the AP posted, which is what made it disingenuous for Kapur to post the same AP graphic given that he only cut one item from it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe they were referring to the voters instead of the politicians? Either way they literally don't give a slightest poo poo about dead children who are not theirs, and honestly don't seem to care that much about their own children either considering the recent years.

I feel like there has been so much poo poo said out loud lately that they would find a way to cope with this too. Empathy is largely a weakness for Republicans.

Speaking of:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/28/tim-burchett-republican-nashville-shooting

quote:

“It’s a horrible, horrible situation, and we’re not going to fix it,” Burchett said. “Criminals are gonna be criminals. And my daddy fought in the second world war, fought in the Pacific, fought the Japanese, and he told me, he said, ‘Buddy,’ he said, ‘if somebody wants to take you out, and doesn’t mind losing their life, there’s not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it.’”

Asked whether there was a role for Congress to play in preventing tragedies that are exceedingly common in the US while being exceedingly rare in the rest of the world, Burchett responded: “I don’t see any real role that we could do other than mess things up, honestly … I don’t think you’re going to stop the gun violence. I think you got to change people’s hearts. You know, as a Christian, as we talk about in the church, and I’ve said this many times, I think we really need a revival in this country.”

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Has this been discussed yet? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

It looks like Disney's district Reedy Creek signed over almost all of their responsibilities to Disney the day before the Florida house voted to put DeSatan in charge. The new 5 Republican board has almost no control except over Roads and basic infrastructure. Apparently this declaration is valid “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zotix posted:

Has this been discussed yet? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

It looks like Disney's district Reedy Creek signed over almost all of their responsibilities to Disney the day before the Florida house voted to put DeSatan in charge. The new 5 Republican board has almost no control except over Roads and basic infrastructure. Apparently this declaration is valid “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

Evil capitalists vs evil fascists

you hate to see it

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

you hate to see it

Did they get tricked with the legalese or was this always the deal?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They had an open meeting the day before where there were questions, but they quickly passed it through the board.meeting and voted on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Perhaps the last place I ever expected the rule against perpetuities to pop up.

Law school professors everywhere must be giddy with joy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they worded the declaration like something out of a curse from the fairy tales Disney kept making films for? Guess DeSantis will have to commit regicide if he wants to piss in Disney's cereal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Randalor posted:

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they worded the declaration like something out of a curse from the fairy tales Disney kept making films for? Guess DeSantis will have to commit regicide if he wants to piss in Disney's cereal.

Multiple regicide, and then some!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I dunno about this King Ralph reboot.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually he wouldn’t have to commit any regicide, technically. He could just kill the rest of his family; Charles himself would just be style points. And as long as Charles is alive William and his kids aren’t regents, so it’s cool.

(This post is not an endorsement of killing any royals)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

you hate to see it
I mean it's evil capitalists vs evil fascist-capitalists, so it's easy to pick a side.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Most marijuana legalization at the state level is either dead or frozen in place until 2024, but Delaware has kind of come out of nowhere and passed a bill to legalize marijuana recreationally very quickly.

The Governor hasn't said whether he will sign it or not, but the legislature also passed it with a veto-proof majority.

https://twitter.com/kylejaeger/status/1640815702100807680

Don’t forget about MN :colbert: We’re moving right along since the DFL finally regained state control: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/minnesota-lawmakers-approve-marijuana-legalization-bill-with-overhaul-amendment-in-house-committee/

No idea how long before everything gets ironed out, but at least they’re being thorough. And it doesn’t sound like there will be any hold out votes in either our House or Senate

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 29, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

Don’t forget about MN :colbert: We’re moving right along since the DFL finally regained state control: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/minnesota-lawmakers-approve-marijuana-legalization-bill-with-overhaul-amendment-in-house-committee/

No idea how long before everything gets ironed out, but at least they’re being thorough. And it doesn’t sound like there will be any hold out votes in either our House or Senate

True. They haven't actually passed anything yet, though. I'm not familiar with the progress on that specific issue in MN; do you know if it is likely to pass? I believe it has passed committees there before, but ended up dying.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

True. They haven't actually passed anything yet, though. I'm not familiar with the progress on that specific issue in MN; do you know if it is likely to pass? I believe it has passed committees there before, but ended up dying.

It never went anywhere previously because we’ve had a split controlled legislature for a while. The DFL finally got full control of it this year.

While they only have +1 in the Senate, I haven’t heard of any holdouts. The main DFL leaders/Governor Walz (and Jesse Ventura, of course) have been very outspoken about getting this passed. And it’s gone through like 13 committees already since the beginning of the year, I think? So it seems to be flying through with changes being made here and there, but nothing that’s been majorly opposed by any DFL members AFAIK.

Based on these things, I would say yes, it's very likely to pass

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 30, 2023

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean it's evil capitalists vs evil fascist-capitalists, so it's easy to pick a side.

Is it really? Disney gets what they want, and Desantis gets to continue grifting state money and directing it to his friends and benefactors. I still think this was planned the whole time, and they very nearly got to shift the bond from Disney paying it to state taxpayers paying it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Actually he wouldn’t have to commit any regicide, technically. He could just kill the rest of his family; Charles himself would just be style points. And as long as Charles is alive William and his kids aren’t regents, so it’s cool.

:goofy::"Curse you curse loopholes! Curse you!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zotix posted:

you left a part out

quote:

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” if it is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, according to the document.

i'm just visualizing the Disney lawyers going all before going home to sleep on their mattresses stuffed full of hundred dollar bills and disney interns

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Mellow Seas posted:

Ok but Charles could have more kids.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm curious if DeSantis is even going to care. He gets to put "put Woke Disney in their place" on his campaign ads, the actual implementation probably doesn't bother him one bit.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Farchanter posted:

I'm curious if DeSantis is even going to care. He gets to put "put Woke Disney in their place" on his campaign ads, the actual implementation probably doesn't bother him one bit.

Depends on how much traction it gets in the news and whether or not he can spin it as owning the lgbt people that he and his base hate the existence of so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anything fun happen in the Howard Schultz hearing today?