Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Legend of Zelda: Tears in the Fandom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: Do we know how long BotW was in development for? Last night I watched a bit of a stream where the streamers were rather down on the new footage. Most of it seemed excessively cynical at best (Lots of :smug: What is this Nuts and Bolts poo poo? This should be DLC. :smug: ), one did speculate that the game may have been in some sort of development hell, even beyond the global speed bump that was COVID, which struck me as a possible point. I would like to see how the dev times compare, if only to give myself a bit of peace of mind.

In regards to story and lore, I always thought that BotW was like Majora's Mask in that it is mostly driven by its sidequests. You can shotgun the main quest, yeah, but you lose a lot of flavor if you do.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Legend of Zelda: Link's Rears to his Fin-dom.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Regarding the map layout, it's consistent with several games in the series. I don't remember all the maps from all of the games but death mountain to the north, desert southwest, and fish bros to the east is similar to LttP and Zelda 1.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, if we are going underground or if there are underground sections I hope we get to see Master Kohga again; he was a fun character.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question: Do we know how long BotW was in development for? Last night I watched a bit of a stream where the streamers were rather down on the new footage. Most of it seemed excessively cynical at best (Lots of :smug: What is this Nuts and Bolts poo poo? This should be DLC. :smug: ), one did speculate that the game may have been in some sort of development hell, even beyond the global speed bump that was COVID, which struck me as a possible point. I would like to see how the dev times compare, if only to give myself a bit of peace of mind.

In regards to story and lore, I always thought that BotW was like Majora's Mask in that it is mostly driven by its sidequests. You can shotgun the main quest, yeah, but you lose a lot of flavor if you do.

The original announcement was in 2014, which included a shot of Link on Epona in Hyrule Field and a brief chase sequence involving a Guardian. Hard to say how far along the game was at that point, but it was clearly more than a pitch doc and the game wouldn't be released for another three years. Incidentally, the devs have said that TotK was originally conceived as DLC for the original game, but they had too many ideas and had to split it into its own game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if we are going underground or if there are underground sections I hope we get to see Master Kohga again; he was a fun character.

Or we meet Master Kohga who is somehow the same exact body shape, voice and personality

I want wild poo poo where Age of Calamity is canon and that's somehow why things are breaking in weird ways. Also it'll be funny to see people get mad again that the Champions are back to being alive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RVWinkle posted:

Regarding the map layout, it's consistent with several games in the series. I don't remember all the maps from all of the games but death mountain to the north, desert southwest, and fish bros to the east is similar to LttP and Zelda 1.

iirc early in development korok forest was also in roughly the same place where it was in OoT but they moved it to the north at some point

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want wild poo poo where Age of Calamity is canon and that's somehow why things are breaking in weird ways. Also it'll be funny to see people get mad again that the Champions are back to being alive.

If Urbosa isn't dead then how can I have a sassy ghost queen snapping lightning at fools?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears in the Fandom

Petition to change the thread title to this in the unlikely event the game is bad and makes everyone mad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Asterite34 posted:

Petition to change the thread title to this in the unlikely event the game is bad and makes everyone mad

Its a Nintendo game. Being mad about a series that you're also somehow unable to stop buying is the main interaction a ton of people seem to have with them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question: Do we know how long BotW was in development for?
Aonuma said development on Breath of the Wild began immediately after Skyward Sword was finished, so 2011-2017ish.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Shiroc posted:

Its a Nintendo game. Being mad about a series that you're also somehow unable to stop buying is the main interaction a ton of people seem to have with them.

With TotK you can use Ultrahand to smash your criticism of Zelda together with another game entirely! Want to write an annoying post about how TotK disappointed you in a similar way to Luigi's Mansion 3? You can do it, with Ultrahand.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

...I'm impressed with everyone's restraint that I haven't heard an "Ultrahandjob" joke yet

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

‘BotW was very sparse if you don’t count all the content around every corner, 4 dungeons, 120 shrines, 900 something mini puzzles for Kotick seeds, interesting locales, enemy camps, emergent gameplay, and everything else!’

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every day without any clarification makes me the story is going to be some significant setting changer and that's why they're not talking about it.

External Organs posted:

With TotK you can use Ultrahand to smash your criticism of Zelda together with another game entirely! Want to write an annoying post about how TotK disappointed you in a similar way to Luigi's Mansion 3? You can do it, with Ultrahand.

Gooigi? More like when-will-Nintendo-ever-make-a-good-game-igi?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i still dont think they shouldve named the seeds after bobby kotick

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

i still dont think they shouldve named the seeds after bobby kotick

I mean, they are turds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WarpDogs posted:

shrines have special surfaces you can't climb so that the core feature of BotW didn't break them, there's no reason they couldn't just just put that stuff on ceilings and say you can't Ascend. easy peezy

Make it so if try to Ascend through those ceiling Link just bonks his head and it plays that cartoon bonk sound effect.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My guess. 7 to 8 dungeons, the tears to wake up Zelda restore the master sword or whatever. and then 8 is taking on the evil force.

They know how good BOTW was received, they took their time to make a worthy sequel.

The map will be the same basic design in terms of forest here, jungle there. But I think there will be cave systems as well. I suspect those green circles we’ve seen is places to descend. Maybe that replaces shrines?

I think it’s going to be fantastic, at first folks will be jerks about it (elden ring looks better, bla bla bla) and then folks will come around because it’s just going to be flipping cool.

My only concern right now? Soundtrack. I don’t mine old themes, but I want at least two to three hours of new music.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 29, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think if you do not look at the history of zelda games remixing worlds and your complaint is that a direct sequel takes place in the same setting then you are not to be taken seriously and should not post or youtube or otherwise communicate

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Saxophone posted:

‘BotW was very sparse if you don’t count all the content around every corner, 4 dungeons, 120 shrines, 900 something mini puzzles for Kotick seeds, interesting locales, enemy camps, emergent gameplay, and everything else!’

I always saw this criticism as favoring the destination over the journey because it's almost always couched in terms of "you climb the mountain or solve the puzzle but you *only* get a seed/shrine out of it." Like, enjoy the ride, admire the view and then glide off to wherever your whims decide to carry you next. It shouldn't be a game you treat like a checklist.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

I always saw this criticism as favoring the destination over the journey because it's almost always couched in terms of "you climb the mountain or solve the puzzle but you *only* get a seed/shrine out of it." Like, enjoy the ride, admire the view and then glide off to wherever your whims decide to carry you next. It shouldn't be a game you treat like a checklist.

And if you want that, there’s a ton of far cry rear end creed and elden ring to fill your time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BotW very intentionally does not show how many shrines or seeds you have left to complete, and if you *do* 100% either of those you get a cool throwback outfit that's good but not great and a joke item that does nothing, respectively. The game designers clearly didn't think 100%ing the game was worth the effort, and you shouldn't either.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
getting hot and bothered thinking about all the new korok puzzles using all this ultrahandfuse bullshit

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't know how you incorporate dungeons in the same way into a game like botw. I don't see how they would do item rewards in each dungeon like previously (bow, hookshot, etc) but maybe they find some way to evolve that, or heck bring back neat items that still allow cool effects but don't gate progression?

I say all this hoping there are dungeons again, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There's the dragon head flame thrower you get to stick onto a shield

https://twitter.com/ZeldaUniverse/status/1641081982724472835?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Luring enemies by fusing meat directly to my flamethrower

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know how you incorporate dungeons in the same way into a game like botw. I don't see how they would do item rewards in each dungeon like previously (bow, hookshot, etc) but maybe they find some way to evolve that, or heck bring back neat items that still allow cool effects but don't gate progression?

There should just be new environmental items in each dungeon and part of the puzzle of defeating the dungeon boss is figuring out what gets fused to what to create a weapon that uniquely defeats the boss the same way a dungeon item would.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I cannot wait to meet the Zonai and eat the drug mushrooms they use to come up with that.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Suburban Dad posted:

I can see a few possible ways to approach it

The four new abilities seem a lot more upgradable than the sheikah slate. Complete Skytower Plunge to unlock the Descend upgrade to Ascend, complete Zonai Ironworks to unlock the Dismantle version of Fuse, etc. etc.

or they could tap into the fuse system. I'm picturing something like the bomb flowers: they were temporary crutches until you unlocked a permanent item. So maybe there are dungeon items that are essentially permanent or repeatable versions of useful fusion combos, similar to how the Master Sword was a permanent weapon

or maybe they just forego the "you unlock everything at once" design of BotW and allow more hand abilities to be unlocked over time

regardless, I feel supremely confidant in saying that there are going to be seven somethings that you must complete given that art piece shown in the 1st trailer. Whether they call them dungeons or sky palaces or whatever, they're going to be dungeon-esque

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I think the best way to do it would be to unlock upgrades or abilities that help you do things easier or quicker but aren't 100% required.
Revalis gale was a great example (even though the other champion abilities were lacking)
The upgraded bombs/stasis runes would have been another good "dungeon item" that was wasted on a super easy "bring me materials" fetch quest

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I feel like there are tradeoffs to having the entire map terrain be easily accessible with little to no limit. Like the heartpiece dungeons in previous games and stuff like that were cool, and you could have neat little architectural set pieces that don't make sense if you can just go around without ever encountering it.

Presumably the sky islands and caves may be an answer to this, allowing for little cut off areas that don't have as much climbable parts so they can actually make various puzzles that wouldn't work otherwise. Likewise while I didn't like weapons breaking in the previous game my hope is they're aware of some of the issues and tried to address them to make the not so fun parts of it less egregious. It makes more sense that a weapon made of cobbled together parts breaks than it does for a top of the line sword to shatter in a couple dozen swings for example.

No one has to stop liking the game just because I've got things I'd like to see different. Feedback is just another part of games.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There's the dragon head flame thrower you get to stick onto a shield

https://twitter.com/ZeldaUniverse/status/1641081982724472835?s=20

Ah so ARMS is canon to Zelda

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
when link is falling in sky in the demo, the ascend icon is greyed out but soon as he hits and goes under the water, the icon is green again but when he surfaces it goes gray... could it be... COULD IT BE

proper underwater exploration and you use the ascend to get back to the surface quickly?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Augus posted:

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

That I will agree with. Less is often more, and what I'd suggest with regards to the korok seeds would have been to have less of them, rather than more. Expansive terrain is also usable In more focused games as well, with Hyrule field often being a major example in a lot of Zelda games. In this respect I think it'd be nice to have a nice ambient landscape/architecture design that is allowed to focus on visuals and gameplay by carefully balancing what is and isn't accessible, since too much restriction in play area can prevent certain puzzles from making sense, and too little can also make it difficult to design a dungeon.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I was having quite a time figuring out where the start of the 10 minute gameplay vid takes place before I realized the opening is looking east during the morning, panning the camera around south, instead of west during the afternoon, panning the camera around north.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Personally, I hope that they make it so cooking certain things won't trivialize the game like durians or radishes did in BotW. It was nearly a great mechanic but tossing even one of those into a dish made you practically invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think even if we dont get dungeon items just having themed dungeons would do a lot for tears. The shrines being very samey was the largest problem with botw and im confident we will have more interesting things to do for health upgrades in tears.