Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mbt posted:

grass mods are for squares

I agree public squares look nicer with grass in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

FactsAreUseless posted:

He got pissed at me for spending money on food for the poor because we don't have the budget for it

If Almalexia truly loved those wretches they wouldn't be starving. :smuggo:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

If Almalexia truly loved those wretches they wouldn't be starving. :smuggo:
Almalexia Speaks To Children might be my favorite Tamriel Rebuilt book so far.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Hmmmmm.

You know what, I think I'll skip the groundcover mods next time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Having a really crappy issue with 'floating' flags and banners which is really putting a damper on my openMW/TR run... :(

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Dragomorph posted:

Hmmmmm.

You know what, I think I'll skip the groundcover mods next time.

Is that TR? Until then you can just use MGE to assign a key to enable/disable grass. I do that when I'm in a zone where the grass isn't sorted properly yet and I'm too lazy to fix it myself.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

FlocksOfMice posted:

Is that TR? Until then you can just use MGE to assign a key to enable/disable grass. I do that when I'm in a zone where the grass isn't sorted properly yet and I'm too lazy to fix it myself.

That would be where the grass on the EAST side of Soltheim would be if a mod hadn't moved the island a good ways northeast.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Dragomorph posted:

That would be where the grass on the EAST side of Soltheim would be if a mod hadn't moved the island a good ways northeast.

If you're using Tomb of the Snow Prince, it should have its own grass that you should use for it?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

FlocksOfMice posted:

If you're using Tomb of the Snow Prince, it should have its own grass that you should use for it?

I can check later, but groundcover is such a pain to implement, blah. (Mind, there's still the weird floating grass in Gnisis and Balmora but meh)

Dragomorph fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 29, 2023

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Are you using grass generated for the landscape mods you're using? What's your Balmora and Gnisis, and what grass are you using for the West Gash?

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

FlocksOfMice posted:

Are you using grass generated for the landscape mods you're using? What's your Balmora and Gnisis, and what grass are you using for the West Gash?

The mods were the ones on the modlist for the Expanded Vanilla of Open MW. So in THEORY they were supposed to line up. But I'm increasingly unsure how up to date that list is with the various builds of other things like BCOM and TR. (Rem's and Vurt's, I think?)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Vurt's groundcover is very PRETTY, but IIRC the only version of Vurt's that's on nexus is an all-in-one that covers most of Vvardenfell in one plug-in so it's probably gonna not be compatible with anything that changes the landscape. If you're using BCOM it should have its own grass patches?

Worst comes to worse you can have a disassociative fugue and load your install in the CK and delete/ground floating grass by hand but I don't really recommend going that insane over this game like I do.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

FlocksOfMice posted:

Worst comes to worse you can have a disassociative fugue and load your install in the CK and delete/ground floating grass by hand but I don't really recommend going that insane over this game like I do.

You just described my modding process

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

FlocksOfMice posted:

Vurt's groundcover is very PRETTY, but IIRC the only version of Vurt's that's on nexus is an all-in-one that covers most of Vvardenfell in one plug-in so it's probably gonna not be compatible with anything that changes the landscape. If you're using BCOM it should have its own grass patches?

Yeah no heck with that lol.

Really the bigger issue is going to be EXTRACTING groundcover because OpenMW is still kind of braindead about it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

You just described my modding process

When I did MDMD it was in a dreamlike haze and I woke up 2 weeks later with like every enemy in the game improved. I remember basically nothing of it other than a haze of spreadsheets.

Also oh heck it's Stuporstar. If you're still working on it I don't envy you the task of having to update Uvirith's TR plug-in to match the new TR release. I love the Telvanni teleport system but with the new update both the library and one of the Telvanni towers are both gone and a ton of assets got deprecated rip.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FlocksOfMice posted:

When I did MDMD it was in a dreamlike haze and I woke up 2 weeks later with like every enemy in the game improved. I remember basically nothing of it other than a haze of spreadsheets.

Also oh heck it's Stuporstar. If you're still working on it I don't envy you the task of having to update Uvirith's TR plug-in to match the new TR release. I love the Telvanni teleport system but with the new update both the library and one of the Telvanni towers are both gone and a ton of assets got deprecated rip.

Hey thanks for MDMD

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

I really wish I could. I gotta figure out a computer setup I can use with my chronic pain issues (permanent shoulder/neck injury) before I can mod again though, which loving sucks. I miss modding so much. I literally can’t use a mouse at all anymore, and trackballs I’ve tried have been ehhh, really not that comfortable to use lying on the couch like I gotta. I’ve found setups that let me use my laptop for a bit for ordinary poo poo, and can play for a bit with a controller, but the controls in the CS loving kill me. I even tried to remote in with my ipad, since it’s the only thing that’s comfortable for me to use for any length of time, but for the CS, urgh gently caress, it just didn’t work

Honestly, if I manage to get back to it (I hope), I’m kinda tempted to do a mostly from scratch rebuild of UL to make it vanilla (as a base mod) and compatible with Open MW before rebuilding all the features with lua scripts and other cool poo poo. Get all the quests and important poo poo ported in or done clean before messing with the extras.

UL 4 became such an ungainly behemoth, it feels like a massive pile of broken poo poo I’ll never be able to debug (or even remember half the poo poo I did in that weeks-at-a-time fugue state) after losing momentum

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 30, 2023

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I really wish I could. I gotta figure out a computer setup I can use with my chronic pain issues (permanent shoulder/neck injury) before I can mod again though, which loving sucks. I miss modding so much. I literally can’t use a mouse at all anymore, and trackballs I’ve tried have been ehhh, really not that comfortable to use lying on the couch like I gotta. I’ve found setups that let me use my laptop for a bit for ordinary poo poo, and can play for a bit with a controller, but the controls in the CS loving kill me. I even tried to remote in with my ipad, since it’s the only thing that’s comfortable for me to use for any length of time, but for the CS, urgh gently caress, it just didn’t work

Honestly, if I manage to get back to it (I hope), I’m kinda tempted to do a mostly from scratch rebuild of UL to make it vanilla (as a base mod) and compatible with Open MW before rebuilding all the features with lua scripts and other cool poo poo. Get all the quests and important poo poo ported in or done clean before messing with the extras.

UL 4 became such an ungainly behemoth, it feels like a massive pile of broken poo poo I’ll never be able to debug (or even remember half the poo poo I did in that weeks-at-a-time fugue state) after losing momentum

:wave:

you should check out what nullcascade did recently, he added a ton of QOL features to the cs with mwse that allow for better camera control, filtering, and snap-to-objects.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Trying a new run where I plan to travel light by only going into caves and dungeons with minimal armor and a Bound Dagger spell and work on skills as I go that way. I wish I could say I'll vary things up a bit but I have compulsive good guy syndrome in games which constantly cuts me off from the more amoral content, and I suppose I'm okay with that. But I won't deny I feel like I'm missing out. Gonna try Thieves Guild again at least but House Hlaalu is full of dirty capitalists and Telvanni is full of arseholes, and I really don't feel like going through Redoran again.

Mods I may consider removing at some point:
- Ones which revolve around playing amoral folks, since I just cannot have any fun doing that for some reason (Dark Brotherhood membership, etc.). Only reason I added them is they were in the list I was using.
- Groundcover, or at least one of them. Hay fever.
- Tempted to remove the Imperial Legion one because I hate companions. I suppose I could just ignore the dude since it doesn't seem like I'm actually forced to take him along with me, but I also am not big on heavy armor loadouts because it limits the amount of random-rear end clutter I can take with me and I'm trying to create a collection. I'll stew on that some more.
- Sobitur. I mean, the challenge is pretty good but it almost feels like it's built around a more exploitative gameplay style that my mod loadout doesn't allow. It's also immersion breaking and if you look at the story and writing close enough it's honestly stupid as gently caress, especially compared to Tamriel Rebuilt.

...side note if anybody knows a good house mod that focuses almost entirely on display space I'd dig it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

mbt posted:

:wave:

you should check out what nullcascade did recently, he added a ton of QOL features to the cs with mwse that allow for better camera control, filtering, and snap-to-objects.

If anyone knows of a way to map the CS to a controller than maaaaaybe

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

Oof that sucks. One of my partners is in a similar boat with chronic disabling pain, it's a butt and a half to have. Your UL is still one of the best mods out there, and even if some parts feel their age a bit I can't bring myself to play without it anymore (although I've made a ton of little personal edits so it suits my tastes better). Hope you can find a way to pull off a remake of it someday!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

Oof that sucks. One of my partners is in a similar boat with chronic disabling pain, it's a butt and a half to have. Your UL is still one of the best mods out there, and even if some parts feel their age a bit I can't bring myself to play without it anymore (although I've made a ton of little personal edits so it suits my tastes better). Hope you can find a way to pull off a remake of it someday!

I hope so. I miss modding so much I’ve been writing docs on what I would do if I could redo UL from scratch. First thing I’d do is make the base mod as vanilla as possible, with all the decorative poo poo an addon with lua scripts you can use to customize your tower (which could wait until the base mod’s done).

The first thing I’d do is prioritize more storage in the lower tower. Then I’d make the retainer’s housepods accessible from inside the tower. Whenever I played, I hardly ever bothered to go out into the ash storms or whatever to talk to them because :effort:

Then I’d focus on making all the upper tower areas more functional, maybe putting the lab in that fourth turret so it’s more accessible. Add lots of shelving. I’d remove the guards and maybe the throne room, moving it somewhere that’s not supposed to be your private domain. I’d keep the atrium but probably move the mana spring so there’s not water coming from nowhere, either to the bathroom (making it functional for all players), or the dungeon. Move the teleport to the lower tower so people wouldn’t be teleporting directly into your private quarters.

Then I’d make all the other builds options you can do separately, like the kitchen, shipping warehouse, teleport room, display room, separate library and prison, etc. That way if you wanna play reclusive and not populate your tower with more people, you can just ignore those builds. I could leave the librarian out of the library unless you hire him, and have that area still lead you to Uvirith’s Tomb. Maybe make the prison/throne room/library build a second tower, rather than shoving everything way down deep in the dungeon. Stick the display room directly below the main tower. Make the elevator optional and have whoever builds it poke fun at you for being the laziest mage ever…

Then I’d look at de-jankifying all the scripts so everything runs smoothly, testing features one at a time this time rather than throwing everything together randomly with my ADHD brain making it hell to debug. If I’m only able to work on it an hour or two every once in a while due to pain, then I’m drat well gonna be wiser about not wasting my time kludging poo poo together in a hyperfocus fugue (my new meds might help lol)

I’d also remove some poo poo that was way beyond scope, like the time I did the insane Carpet Layer’s Guild easter egg in one sleep-debt-drunk all-nighter, and make that its own mod. I’d keep the bloat mine quest though, since that’s not stomping on any other mod’s territory.

Back when I was working on UL 4, I rewrote a lot of quests to remove stupid bits. I’d try to port those back in whenever possible. And then after all that I'd re-evaluate whether some lovely poo poo like inscription is worth revamping or should just be scrapped. I had ideas to make the scrolls you could make actually worth it, like being able to recreate the scrolls of Icarian flight and fun poo poo like that

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 30, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

poo poo that sucks, sorry to hear. Hope things become a bit more manageable for you in the near future.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

poo poo that sucks, sorry to hear. Hope things become a bit more manageable for you in the near future.

Yeah, learning how to manage pain has been like my full time job for a while now (cause I got migraines too, woo), while I fight to get on disability. Working on a long-term physio plan so my meat can better support my damaged cartilage and poo poo

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

I hope so. I miss modding so much I’ve been writing docs on what I would do if I could redo UL from scratch. First thing I’d do is make the base mod as vanilla as possible, with all the decorative poo poo an addon with lua scripts you can use to customize your tower (which could wait until the base mod’s done).

The first thing I’d do is prioritize more storage in the lower tower. Then I’d make the retainer’s housepods accessible from inside the tower. Whenever I played, I hardly ever bothered to go out into the ash storms or whatever to talk to them because :effort:

Then I’d focus on making all the upper tower areas more functional, maybe putting the lab in that fourth turret so it’s more accessible. Add lots of shelving. I’d remove the guards and maybe the throne room, moving it somewhere that’s not supposed to be your private domain. I’d keep the atrium but probably move the mana spring so there’s not water coming from nowhere, either to the bathroom (making it functional for all players), or the dungeon. Move the teleport to the lower tower so people wouldn’t be teleporting directly into your private quarters.

Then I’d make all the other builds options you can do separately, like the kitchen, shipping warehouse, teleport room, display room, separate library and prison, etc. That way if you wanna play reclusive and not populate your tower with more people, you can just ignore those builds. I could leave the librarian out of the library unless you hire him, and have that area still lead you to Uvirith’s Tomb. Maybe make the prison/throne room/library build a second tower, rather than shoving everything way down deep in the dungeon. Stick the display room directly below the main tower. Make the elevator optional and have whoever builds it poke fun at you for being the laziest mage ever…

Then I’d look at de-jankifying all the scripts so everything runs smoothly, testing features one at a time this time rather than throwing everything together randomly with my ADHD brain making it hell to debug. If I’m only able to work on it an hour or two every once in a while due to pain, then I’m drat well gonna be wiser about not wasting my time kludging poo poo together in a hyperfocus fugue (my new meds might help lol)

I’d also remove some poo poo that was way beyond scope, like the time I did the insane Carpet Layer’s Guild easter egg in one sleep-debt-drunk all-nighter, and make that its own mod. I’d keep the bloat mine quest though, since that’s not stomping on any other mod’s territory.

Back when I was working on UL 4, I rewrote a lot of quests to remove stupid bits. I’d try to port those back in whenever possible. And then after all that I'd re-evaluate whether some lovely poo poo like inscription is worth revamping or should just be scrapped. I had ideas to make the scrolls you could make actually worth it, like being able to recreate the scrolls of Icarian flight and fun poo poo like that

Dang, that all sounds fantastic. Having it be modular would be the coolest thing. A lot of those changes are the kind of stuff I cludged into it for my private use, like moving rooms around or rewriting quest bits that stuck out as being too out-of-tone (I think Sara N'Tashra was a relic from the original Uvirith Unleashed? Early Morrowind modding was kind of incredible with how often they'd look at Morrowind, a game overstuffed with context and themes, and then choose to ignore it and put in Whatever Fantasy Thing. There were a ton of mods early on that added like, glitter fairies or treated the dunmer like they were just drow, or used Morrowind as a kind of single-player SecondLife (Slof's Goth Shop I'm looking at you (with a mixture of nostalgia and judgement)); a dunmer named Sara N'Tashra made as much sense as anything else back then, but with stuff like TR and OAAB firming up really strong themeing that exceeds even vanilla's adherence to the setting, it really sticks out as an artifact of an older time).

I hope you find a way to manage your hobbies despite everything! Your mods are on the short-list of stuff I never do an install without.

I do love all the things UL adds overall though--it's basically a mini-expansion with everything it adds.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

Dang, that all sounds fantastic. Having it be modular would be the coolest thing. A lot of those changes are the kind of stuff I cludged into it for my private use, like moving rooms around or rewriting quest bits that stuck out as being too out-of-tone (I think Sara N'Tashra was a relic from the original Uvirith Unleashed? Early Morrowind modding was kind of incredible with how often they'd look at Morrowind, a game overstuffed with context and themes, and then choose to ignore it and put in Whatever Fantasy Thing. There were a ton of mods early on that added like, glitter fairies or treated the dunmer like they were just drow, or used Morrowind as a kind of single-player SecondLife (Slof's Goth Shop I'm looking at you (with a mixture of nostalgia and judgement)); a dunmer named Sara N'Tashra made as much sense as anything else back then, but with stuff like TR and OAAB firming up really strong themeing that exceeds even vanilla's adherence to the setting, it really sticks out as an artifact of an older time).

I hope you find a way to manage your hobbies despite everything! Your mods are on the short-list of stuff I never do an install without.

I do love all the things UL adds overall though--it's basically a mini-expansion with everything it adds.

Yeah, a lot of that stuff was relics from Uvirith Unleashed. UL was my first major mod and 1.0 was a buggy pos as I was getting the hang of scripting and dialogue and trying so hard to make all my new stuff work with UA that I didn’t really pay attention to the content as much. Hell, it wasn’t until UL 4 that I decided to take a good hard look at everything and go, “yeesh, some of this poo poo is sooo bad.”

One thing I was working on in UL 4 was making more Telvanni meshes so all that mixed tileset garbage could be disposed of. Like if I make the prison a Telvanni guard tower, if the Telvanni tileset falls short, the prison cells themselves can be hewn from the cave walls rather than Imperial.

I’m probably going to keep the companions, but “Sara” is gonna get a name change and makeover to make her look more like a proper Dunmer mabrigash warrior. None of this 2006 anime poo poo. Early modding was… well, I think it was the first easily moddable game they could turn to all their more boring Euro fantasies before Oblivion came out, which served them all better for that basic-rear end bullshit.

I’m curious what rooms you moved? Cause I’m planning on moving rooms around myself and wanna know stuff like, where do you want the alchemy lab to be? And stuff like that

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, a lot of that stuff was relics from Uvirith Unleashed. UL was my first major mod and 1.0 was a buggy pos as I was getting the hang of scripting and dialogue and trying so hard to make all my new stuff work with UA that I didn’t really pay attention to the content as much. Hell, it wasn’t until UL 4 that I decided to take a good hard look at everything and go, “yeesh, some of this poo poo is sooo bad.”

One thing I was working on in UL 4 was making more Telvanni meshes so all that mixed tileset garbage could be disposed of. Like if I make the prison a Telvanni guard tower, if the Telvanni tileset falls short, the prison cells themselves can be hewn from the cave walls rather than Imperial.

I’m probably going to keep the companions, but “Sara” is gonna get a name change and makeover to make her look more like a proper Dunmer mabrigash warrior. None of this 2006 anime poo poo. Early modding was… well, I think it was the first easily moddable game they could turn to all their more boring Euro fantasies before Oblivion came out, which served them all better for that basic-rear end bullshit.

I’m curious what rooms you moved? Cause I’m planning on moving rooms around myself and wanna know stuff like, where do you want the alchemy lab to be? And stuff like that

I saw the 4.0 imgur album from a while back, there was a lot to be excited about with the tilesets yeah!

I removed the stairs in the main entryway to force myself to fly and added a little chair on a platform just below the entrance point with the idea of like, ah yeah that's where I'd hold public meetings. I put desks and administrative stuff all in the entryhall to put servants behind so it feels like, yeah this is where most people who visit the tower come to get that done. I've moved the bathroom access hatch several times so it's not in the middle of the hallway everyone's walking over, I think right now it's ended up in its own nook in the tunnels going towards the upper tower. I'm not AS fastidious about representing the outside/inside perfectly so it might be a bit of tardising there?

I put three extra chambers in the lower tower, because I play very slow and I don't rush to ArchMagister--I mean, I also made MDMD which makes the powerful NPCs properly dangerous with a bunch of new spells and strats, so I can't really rush to tower end-stage anymore?--so I added to the tower lower a small lab/office to use before the upper tower is built. If I wasn't AS lazy I would just make the quest where you get the apprentice a desk you giving him that room for his own use instead, but I'm lazy sometimes, so I just... pretend that it's his office when I move out of it lol.

I expanded out the back wall where the beds were and turned that into a dedicated bedroom growth so it didn't feel like I was living out of a single overly-busy room in tower lower, and moved the NPCs back into there too for their nighttime modes so they kind of feel like they're, you know, in a bedroom instead of standing around I guess? I also put a communal space with like a cozy fireplace and pillows because why not. I abducted the mudcrab merchant once and he lived out of there, it was fun.

I gave the bedroom in tower upper a door, gutted the lower room with the harpsichord and turned it into--I think a library? because it was easier to do books there, and now that perfect placement is out it's not really a hassle to organize books, and it's just more convenient than going all the way down to get to the Archmagister library, which you only get in relative late-game. I had a version where I gutted the dining room and moved the underground lab up to there? But it was really cramped, and a part of me really LIKES the hidden elevator lab idea, and I've gone back to that.

I think last time I tweaked it I turned the roof of the tower into an outdoors-lounge kinda zone.

I also edited the dialogue where NPCs are confused at long-lasting summons and them being the result of the daedric pages--it's stated in other books that long-term daedra can be ritual'd in and the dialogue where it was a mystery how Gothren had perma-dremora just felt out of place?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

I removed the stairs in the main entryway to force myself to fly and added a little chair on a platform just below the entrance point with the idea of like, ah yeah that's where I'd hold public meetings. I put desks and administrative stuff all in the entryhall to put servants behind so it feels like, yeah this is where most people who visit the tower come to get that done. I've moved the bathroom access hatch several times so it's not in the middle of the hallway everyone's walking over, I think right now it's ended up in its own nook in the tunnels going towards the upper tower. I'm not AS fastidious about representing the outside/inside perfectly so it might be a bit of tardising there?

I was thinking about the entry hall lacking purpose, and making that a modest audience hall makes the most sense, since that's where other mods send their petitioners. There’s no reason why all that space needs to be taken up by Dwemer centurions. I'll keep the stairs though since those can be easily consoled away. And since I’m moving all the rooms in the lower tower, there will be more room for the bathroom to have a proper door.

quote:

I put three extra chambers in the lower tower, because I play very slow and I don't rush to ArchMagister--I mean, I also made MDMD which makes the powerful NPCs properly dangerous with a bunch of new spells and strats, so I can't really rush to tower end-stage anymore?--so I added to the tower lower a small lab/office to use before the upper tower is built. If I wasn't AS lazy I would just make the quest where you get the apprentice a desk you giving him that room for his own use instead, but I'm lazy sometimes, so I just... pretend that it's his office when I move out of it lol.

The storage room is gonna be moved to the forward right corner, since the retainers will be at the other three corners. I made it a rootball with a small manorpod growing out of it, so there's room for Almossaren to have a bedroom and proper desk area. I was thinking of not allowing you to hire him until the upper tower is built, so that would be the perfect place for you to set up your early private quarters and study. You would still get a few early shipments from Aryon just as you did before. Perhaps I’d add a random ingredient and food urn. Since in the new version you’d have to go to the trouble of building the storage room separately, you oughta get something for it. Also having Almossaren’s quarters in the same cell as the warehouse means I don’t need two bloody versions of him to keep the shipment scripts from breaking.

quote:

I expanded out the back wall where the beds were and turned that into a dedicated bedroom growth so it didn't feel like I was living out of a single overly-busy room in tower lower, and moved the NPCs back into there too for their nighttime modes so they kind of feel like they're, you know, in a bedroom instead of standing around I guess? I also put a communal space with like a cozy fireplace and pillows because why not. I abducted the mudcrab merchant once and he lived out of there, it was fun.

Yeah, the lower tower living area doesn’t look like a comfortable place to live at all. I’d definitely cozy it up a bit in the next version. Since I have to move the entire upper floor to expand the lower one into the grand entrance, It doesn’t matter where I’ve moved the meshes, since they’ve all been touched, so why be forced to keep the same layout.

quote:

I gave the bedroom in tower upper a door, gutted the lower room with the harpsichord and turned it into--I think a library? because it was easier to do books there, and now that perfect placement is out it's not really a hassle to organize books, and it's just more convenient than going all the way down to get to the Archmagister library, which you only get in relative late-game. I had a version where I gutted the dining room and moved the underground lab up to there? But it was really cramped, and a part of me really LIKES the hidden elevator lab idea, and I've gone back to that.

I think last time I tweaked it I turned the roof of the tower into an outdoors-lounge kinda zone.

The upper hall is the perfect place for me to add wall-to-wall bookshelves, since I have all those Telvanni built-in bookshelf meshes now, so it would make the perfect personal library. The big library would make up the civic center you get after you become Archmagister, so it would be more like a rival to the Vivec library, secret library and all.

I dunno what to do with the lower room yet, but I’m definitely getting rid of the harpsichord (wtf was I thinking? lol).

One of the things I did in UL 4 was add a couple extra turrets to the upper tower. They were guest bedrooms, but I was thinking of making them a huge lab area (though I dunno about the balcony in that case, as much as I still like it).

Another option for the secret lab would be to hide it somewhere underground, where it’s not tardising, and leave in the shortcut where you can teleport into it by climbing in the Bag of Holding, which was an old workaround for restoring the bag’s contents if its data became unlinked. If I did that, I might bump up its Daedric elements a bit. Also the new bag is a creature (how I solved the container problem because creature inventory is more stable) that I animated, so it opens and closes (and breathes creepily lol).

quote:

I also edited the dialogue where NPCs are confused at long-lasting summons and them being the result of the daedric pages--it's stated in other books that long-term daedra can be ritual'd in and the dialogue where it was a mystery how Gothren had perma-dremora just felt out of place?

That’s a good point. Especially considering how you can pretty much make a pact with Ashkosh to make them a companion

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 31, 2023

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Finally finished the last battle of the Sobitur mod, and good criminy that was the worst writing of any of the mods I've installed. I don't know who this strange man is in the alchemy station, but he is NOT Master Aryon. At least it was challenging, I guess. Definitely relied on potion cheese (or as much as my modded game allowed) to beat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

Finally finished the last battle of the Sobitur mod, and good criminy that was the worst writing of any of the mods I've installed. I don't know who this strange man is in the alchemy station, but he is NOT Master Aryon. At least it was challenging, I guess. Definitely relied on potion cheese (or as much as my modded game allowed) to beat.

you have the patience of a god. It sucks. I'm convinced the author has either a secret devoted fanbase or bot software. Sobitur was the #1 mod on planetelderscrolls and their bad redoran house mod won the first may modathon popularity vote.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

mbt posted:

you have the patience of a god. It sucks. I'm convinced the author has either a secret devoted fanbase or bot software. Sobitur was the #1 mod on planetelderscrolls and their bad redoran house mod won the first may modathon popularity vote.

I'm glad to hear it's as bad as I think it is, because I feel dumber for having gone through it.

EDIT: Oh and as a bonus it permadisabled levitation on me at the end. :allears: Thank goodness for console commands.

Dragomorph fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 2, 2023

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Reinstalling MWSE fixed my issue and I'm currently playing Sotha Sil Expanded, with the "patched" mod that removes some of the puzzles. Apart from a bugged start and some (I assume) missing textures, I'm enjoying it.

Impressive what has been done considering it was made in 2014 or whatever.

I'll sink my teeth into TR once I'm done with this I think. But I'm not sure what type of character would be a good fit? People seem to like the Thieves guild questline?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Reinstalling MWSE fixed my issue and I'm currently playing Sotha Sil Expanded, with the "patched" mod that removes some of the puzzles. Apart from a bugged start and some (I assume) missing textures, I'm enjoying it.

Impressive what has been done considering it was made in 2014 or whatever.

I'll sink my teeth into TR once I'm done with this I think. But I'm not sure what type of character would be a good fit? People seem to like the Thieves guild questline?

Any build works, it's morrowind

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Pickpocket is mechanically broken in the couple patches I've played, so don't pick that skill

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

mbt posted:

Any build works, it's morrowind

Yeah, but my ~°RolePlaying°~

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, but my ~°RolePlaying°~

I dunno how well it extends into TR but all the base game Morrowind NPCs have classes assigned to them, including some that aren’t options for the MC normally. You can find the list with skills, stats, etc, on UESP. Be a mabrigash (the sex witches that killed Arlowe in game) or something.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

That's not a bad idea, I guess a smith could travel anywhere looking for work and a smuggler could get into all sorts of adventures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's also a mod that just adds all the NPC classes to character creation, but that might be annoying to have to scroll through such a large list.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43428

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

There's also a mod that just adds all the NPC classes to character creation, but that might be annoying to have to scroll through such a large list.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43428

Ooh, there’s even TR specific ones. That would be perfect. Lamp Knight sounds cool, whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Arivia posted:

Ooh, there’s even TR specific ones. That would be perfect. Lamp Knight sounds cool, whatever it is.

Knights of the Order of the Lamp are the armed branch of the Mages Guild, sort of like a semi-separate faction that's here to protect Mages and their interests. Mages are soft and canonically most of them just do like, research. Research papers on the variations of gravity within a jump spell. Lamp Knights are here to be big and scary and in armor.

There's a questline with one in TR Helnim Mages Guild.