Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

While you're driving though Rochdale at 104 mph, why not stop to admire this car full of soil they spent over £7000 on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

Yes, disney really made a movie called "Planes"

Skipper lucky he didn't get court martialed he was totally at fault

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

100 mph is too fast imo

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mawarannahr posted:

half the replies are about how you should be allowed in that car model, a "cossie"

in 1986 a rally racing version of that car crashed into spectators during a race, killing a few and injuring dozens, and was the death knell for the entire Group B division

exactly what you want flung about willy-nilly on low-speed British roads

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Filthy Hans posted:

in 1986 a rally racing version of that car crashed into spectators during a race, killing a few and injuring dozens, and was the death knell for the entire Group B division

exactly what you want flung about willy-nilly on low-speed British roads

A few years ago the first asian female driver competed in dakar and in the opening 11km stage[prologue, not even stage 1] she crashed 5km in and ran over 10 people.

The whole race was 9,237km that year

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
starting to think car races loving suck

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

500excf type r posted:

A few years ago the first asian female driver competed in dakar and in the opening 11km stage[prologue, not even stage 1] she crashed 5km in and ran over 10 people.

The whole race was 9,237km that year

lol women drivers am i right fellas

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol women drivers am i right fellas

porbably had her turn signal on the whole time too

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheOkz8oF_I
just random rear end bikes jumping into frame

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

content warning: discussions of a car wreck with no injuries or intent to mock/lol

I poo poo you not I just saw a lifted pickup truck lose a wheel and wreck.

Went on a bike ride out in the countryside and came around a corner to see a cloud of white smoke, a lifted truck on 3 wheels in the middle of the road, and the 4th wheel in the ditch. The driver was just getting out so I guess it had just happened. He said he was okay and didn't need help, no other cars were involved, and he had a phone so I left him to it.

"I knew I felt SOMETHIN wrong... "

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

500excf type r posted:

the first asian female driver

go on, let's hear it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

McCracAttack posted:

content warning: discussions of a car wreck with no injuries or intent to mock/lol

I poo poo you not I just saw a lifted pickup truck lose a wheel and wreck.

Went on a bike ride out in the countryside and came around a corner to see a cloud of white smoke, a lifted truck on 3 wheels in the middle of the road, and the 4th wheel in the ditch. The driver was just getting out so I guess it had just happened. He said he was okay and didn't need help, no other cars were involved, and he had a phone so I left him to it.

"I knew I felt SOMETHIN wrong... "

many such cases

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Exactly my thoughts for the rest of the ride. Plus a bit of cold sweat at every other lifted truck in the other lane after that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

100 mph is too fast imo

people got places to be, man. move out of the passing lane if you have a problem with it. speeding may be illegal, but so is blocking the passing lane. you are the rear end in a top hat here.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Horace posted:

While you're driving though Rochdale at 104 mph, why not stop to admire this car full of soil they spent over £7000 on

Please tell me they go out and put tire shine on it every spring.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

people got places to be, man. move out of the passing lane if you have a problem with it. speeding may be illegal, but so is blocking the passing lane. you are the rear end in a top hat here.

Im a very boring mostly right lane camper when I do drive so I generally have no dog in this fight but i've heard people say this in a very serious manner irl and it always makes me uneasy lol. Its always in the context of like - tailgating people to get them to move is fine.

Like buddy, you think riding someones rear end tailgating is gonna get them to move? You are just making everyone else more unsafe. good job.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

yes except for the guy who last year GameCube NASCAR 2005ed the outside of the track into a qualifying position

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I got into a dumb internet argument one time over how bikes slow down traffic, and one guy really thought he was playing a trump card when he said "I'm an EMT"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Horace posted:

hmm, quarter to four in the afternoon, seems like a good time to do 104mph in a 30mph residential area in my car with 1980s brakes

https://twitter.com/gmptraffic/status/1641017036527607812

note his one working brake light suggests he was going even faster before they snapped him

probably a rear fog lamp

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheOkz8oF_I
just random rear end bikes jumping into frame

tokyo is really interesting because the traffic is bad and there are a shitload of cars, but there are also a lot of bikes despite there not being much protected bike infrastructure. Bikes just ride alongside cars on busy streets. Most people don't wear helmets and there aren't that many crashes. The infrastructure over there is hostile to car ownership but it also works due to a cultural difference: japanese drivers don't want to literally kill people who get in their way or slow them down for a second

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-02/a-new-streetfilms-video-explores-why-tokyo-is-such-a-great-cycling-city

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Mar 29, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
loving lol. How the hell is Tokyo so bike friendly? Clearly it's some inscrutable Japanese quality that needs its own word.

quote:

There's at least one thing the rest of the world can take from cycling in Tokyo. That is, the "Gaman Spirit." Literally, it means "to endure." But when applied to cycling in Tokyo, it refers to everybody getting along.

I think it may have more to do with the narrow roads, closer spaces, and things physically being within biking distance. My own area in Houston is bike friendly for much the same reason.

It's actually interesting to see how the road impacts driver speed and even driver psychosis. Wide open city street with big lanes? Everyone speeds and will run over any pedestrians. Narrow street with closed space (no to small parking, yards) and open ditches? Every lifted pickup stops for shanks pony.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Mar 29, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ancient Japanese secret for not wanting to murder people on your way to work.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im not sure if "not murdering people" has deep roots in japanese culture

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

admiring japans gayman spirit.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Horace posted:

hmm, quarter to four in the afternoon, seems like a good time to do 104mph in a 30mph residential area in my car with 1980s brakes

Showing my bare rear end moment: I got a pretty nasty speeding ticket on the GSX-R. 105kmh in a 40 zone. It was the middle of the night. The judge chewed me out a bit at the Zoom hearing, well-deserved. Luckily it was a speed camera and not a cop, or my bike and license would have gone bye-bye. EDIT: It was not the infamous Parkside Drive camera.

I have no legitimate defense other than the Chief Keef Defense: It's a fast motorcycle. I bought it because it's fast.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Mar 29, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mister Speaker posted:

Showing my bare rear end moment: I got a pretty nasty speeding ticket on the GSX-R. 105kmh in a 40 zone. It was the middle of the night. The judge chewed me out a bit at the Zoom hearing, well-deserved. Luckily it was a speed camera and not a cop, or my bike and license would have gone bye-bye. EDIT: It was not the infamous Parkside Drive camera.

I have no legitimate defense other than the Chief Keef Defense: It's a fast motorcycle. I bought it because it's fast.

whoever bought you that red text really thought they were making you look bad huh.

e: as far as the GSX-R, as motorcycles go they're at most 1/2 of a car and that one pretty much owns so personally I forgive you

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks, I totally would have agreed if you'd said I should have had my license stripped though. I just got really lucky. The bike became too financially untenable anyway, that was the icing on the cake of despair that caused me to sell it.

I tried to be as much of an ally to cyclists as I could while riding, since from a vulnerability perspective it basically is just a big bicycle. Routinely caught folks on their cellphones on my helmet camera. One of them started chasing me and threw a water bottle at me when I called him on it. I'd pull up to guys parked in the bike lane at College and Spadina all the time and yell at them. One guy tried to get out and fight me so I just shoved his door closed with my leg and peeled off.

As for the av, yeah... sometimes people with poor reading comprehension like to do that sort of thing.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I have places to be these cyclists that I saw a part of a bike in my windshield should get out of the way.

Quite the car brain

I wish someone would tailgate me enough to bump so I'd get a new car but they always give up

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

Yeah I have places to be these cyclists that I saw a part of a bike in my windshield should get out of the way.

Quite the car brain

I wish someone would tailgate me enough to bump so I'd get a new car but they always give up

nah these days enforcement is so lax there are great odds that they arent even insured

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this

Zodium posted:

hitler drove a car

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hitler spent a lot of money on gas

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

loving lol. How the hell is Tokyo so bike friendly? Clearly it's some inscrutable Japanese quality that needs its own word.

I think it may have more to do with the narrow roads, closer spaces, and things physically being within biking distance. My own area in Houston is bike friendly for much the same reason.

I also noticed this in Singapore where there were a lot of bikers despite the lack of bike infrastructure - I presume the small number of cars is a big factor.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A lot of people biking short distances to stores or train stations in japan are doing it illegally on the sidewalk so even though they're not intended as bike infrastructure, better sidewalks that are wide enough to make this practical and kept in decent condition may be a factor too

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Mar 30, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

A lot of people biking short distances to stores or train stations in japan are doing it illegally on the sidewalk so even though they're not intended as bike infrastructure, better sidewalks that are wide enough to make this practical and kept in decent condition may be a factor too

they have huge sidewalks, visiting fukuoka and tokyo was basically a radicalizing experience for me

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

they have huge sidewalks, visiting fukuoka and tokyo was basically a radicalizing experience for me

But what if we added Lanes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shumer is pushing hard for a billion dollar highway widening thats lol only 46 miles long somehow for all that money because his catskills summer home constituents are mad about traffic and want to bulldoze more forest to get 3 lanes each way.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Drunk driver strikes and disables 3 people. Drunk driver had her license suspended 4 times. Drove unlicensed. Rammed a closed gate when denied entry to a party and sent 3 people flying. Blood alcohol reading between 0.184 and 0.189.

Prediction: fine only for driving unlicensed.

https://tinyurl.com/yce2f8tk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the gate however is going to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

You bet that gates going down. The headline is a masterpiece of avoiding cars or drivers.

New years eve drunken gatecrash at 2021 party leaves 3 with lifelong trauma, court hears.

Those out of control gates man.