Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The DS numbers are especially impressive given the system didn't really take off until 2006 and was dead by 2011, whereas the GB "family" covered the entire period from 1989-2001.

I also think it makes sense to look at GBC sales distinctly from 1998-2001 given how much that overlaps with Pokémon. I mean, nobody was buying a new Game Boy in North America in January 1998.

The thing is, very few games are GBC only, most of them are still compatible all the way back to the grey brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tried out today my first Metroid speedrun on Super Metroid just for fun, following a 100% route and seeing if I could get at least 100% under 3 hours for the best ending. I admit I used Switch rewinds to practice some speedrunning techniques like mockball and walljump and loving short charges, but it wasn't a serious attempt or anything.

Ended up with 1:36 IGT!... and 99% items. I missed a Super Missile somewhere :negative:

Now I wanted to try out Fusion after my causal rerun on the Switch ended up at 2h without even 60% items, but I haven't found a good route yet as a guideline for 100%, the best one I found constantly referred to "check the Any% route" which is dumb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Still trucking along in Metroid Prime Hunters, most of the way towards getting the 7th of 8 Octoliths.

Looking forward to moving on to Metroid Prime 2 though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

Still trucking along in Metroid Prime Hunters, most of the way towards getting the 7th of 8 Octoliths.

Looking forward to moving on to Metroid Prime 2 though.

Should have called it Octolith Traveler.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anybody down for some Freedom Force coop this week? I’ve got a guy on Discord from one of the Metroid servers who is hankering for a game but i think our other two slots are free.

My discord handle is Xenomrph#2683

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

Anybody down for some Freedom Force coop this week? I’ve got a guy on Discord from one of the Metroid servers who is hankering for a game but i think our other two slots are free.

I purchased it last night, I would be down. sabobman#6402

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Man, I'd love to, but I'm getting over an RSI, and my drat 3ds is hosed up :smith:

Hope you guys enjoy it. Then do your part to spread The Word

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Man, I'd love to, but I'm getting over an RSI, and my drat 3ds is hosed up :smith:

Hope you guys enjoy it. Then do your part to spread The Word

Hey we probably won’t knock out the whole game in one shot, so you might be able to catch us on some more play time later.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I purchased it last night, I would be down. sabobman#6402

Did you get the patch that’s available in the eShop? I sure hope you did, the shop closes TODAY!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Patches are still going to be available. New purchases is what's going away today.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only thing shutting down is the payment processor, I think

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somebody else should pick up the game and play with us, we have three but it supports 4 I think!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metroid Prime Hunters COMPLETE

Time: 8hr 14min
Completion: 49%

Onward to Metroid Prime 2!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Finally sat down and did the back half of Fusion. Still a great game, was worth getting the Switch Online expansion for. If they add Zero Mission (and in my dream world Blast Corps) it will be even more worth it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Playing Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion back to back to back recently I was surprised at how much my opinion on ZM fell. I remember REALLY liking it at launch, but this was my first time revisiting it pretty much sense then and it felt a bit more like a shrug. But I also think I remember a lot of the fun of it was sequence breaking / going for low percent and hard mode clears which makes it a much more interesting game than the first playthrough, and I wasn't spending that much time on them this time around.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Zero Mission is a fantastic remake of OG Metroid, but it's still largely operating within the confines of its source material (except for the last 1/3, but that feels more like a bolt-on). So yeah, I'd agree that a vanilla playthrough is less interesting than Super, unless you've played either of them to death already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay so I’m stuck in Metroid Prime 2. I just found the trooper shuttle outside, got the missiles, killed some dark critters, didn’t know where to go, backtracked to a now closed gate that says it can be destroyed with “high yield explosives”, pumped 5 missiles into it to no effect. What do I do?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Okay so I’m stuck in Metroid Prime 2. I just found the trooper shuttle outside, got the missiles, killed some dark critters, didn’t know where to go, backtracked to a now closed gate that says it can be destroyed with “high yield explosives”, pumped 5 missiles into it to no effect. What do I do?

hint: some things can only be destroyed with charge shots
solution: there's a big crate in the outdoor area that can be destroyed with a charge shot and has a powerup inside

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh durr I didn’t see the big gaping opening out of the side of the shuttle that leads right to a ledge

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I beat the spider boss in Fusion on my second try :hellyeah:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Nightmare on my first try this time, I don’t think I’ve ever done that before.

The only time I died was after that SA-X encounter in sector 2 where you have to run away from it, I had low health and got killed by a regular enemy lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zero Mission is 100% ruined for me by the sealed upgrades. I get they wanted to make the suit upgrade feel special but having useless poo poo in my inventory and locking multiple upgrades to the rear end end of the game just feels bad.

I didn't like it in M2R either but at least there it was just one thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Come on, 100% ruined? Surely you mean like 50% ruined

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Come on, 100% ruined? Surely you mean like 50% ruined

The other 50% is that I think the Zero Suit looks dumb and am sad it ended up as the default suitless look.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like the Zero Suit :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Still looking for a 4th person, we’re playing this evening at 8PM EST. PM me/ping me/find me on discord, whatever’s convenient.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I like the Zero Suit :colbert:

Explain why without sounding like a pervy neckbeard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the big problem i have with how samus looks that way is that she should look like a bulging roidhead due to all the hosed up alien DNA she has ingested over the years

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Great Beer posted:

Explain why without sounding like a pervy neckbeard

Having a suit that interfaces with the armor somehow is a neat idea, Space Marines in Warhammer have it.

Also it’s kind of the least-worst option if they wanted to show Samus stripped of her armor and vulnerable; what were they supposed to do, put her in her Metroid 1 bikini?

Also it looks cool, the blue with the accents is neat and a good color contrast to the usual yellow/orange/red/green of her standard armor. I especially like the yellow jump-boots they added in Smash Bros, it really pops against the blue.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Zero Suit is a good idea both thematically and mechanically since it is an interface for the Varia suit, which makes sense, and it would also be weird if Samus came out of her armor in jeans in a t-shirt.

It's let down by the fact that it follows giant robot anime plug suit rules and as a result it cups her tits like they painted it on her and it looks really weird. A suit like that isnt going to make things perky! Just make it like a blue leotard! It's fine! It doesn't have to show off every inch!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Samus should have a more sensible hair style for someone who wears a full helmet most of the time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shiroc posted:

Samus should have a more sensible hair style for someone who wears a full helmet most of the time.

it's a magic helmet and also who cares

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the woman can fold her entire body into a 1-meter sphere i dont think helmet hair is gonna be an issue here

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I kinda wish they didn’t have any focus on fetishizing Samus’ body. The cutscene art in the GBA games I thought were so cringy, and kind of ruins the character. Also Samus should have always had green hair!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

I kinda wish they didn’t have any focus on fetishizing Samus’ body. The cutscene art in the GBA games I thought were so cringy, and kind of ruins the character. Also Samus should have always had green hair!

Maybe she dyes it blonde and accidentally fell in a pool

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Good Sphere posted:

I mean, in the very first game you get rewarded for clearing the game fast by seeing her in a bikini, you’d better believe if the game wasn’t restricted to 8bit graphics that it would have been more fetishizing and detailed. It’s kind of been in the franchise since jump. Like I said, if anything the Zero Suit is a step towards dialing it back.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Augus posted:

it's a magic helmet and also who cares

sorry to upset you with the idea of short hair Samus

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Samus should have stuck with the bike shorts and tank top look, she used to dress like she was gonna go clubbing in a space-disco out of an 80s scifi anime and that's a somewhat novel aesthetic these days compared to spandex mecha plugsuit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

trenchcoat samus is best samus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shiroc posted:

sorry to upset you with the idea of short hair Samus
it doesn't bring up good memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

trenchcoat samus is best samus
Samus isn't allowed in Japan ever since she stole the Silver Pagoda AND the snow from atop Mt Fuji.