Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wouldnt be a problem if they had that enfilade

they recognized that curtain walls were useless for fortification literally a few years after the advent of bombards in christendom and went hard into rammed earth

Genuinely I wish they would make settlements without curtain walls but with tiered, enfilading fire points to shoot at units on the approach. They have the ability to do this with the dockable landforms but they put them in the worst positions, including with loving buildings in front of them so nobody can shoot.

The best designed fortification in the game is the imperial pass fort, because you can send out your halberds in front of the gate and get a limited enfilade on anything that tries to barney with them, and then you can also support the walls from the rearward ramparts which are even angled so that the rear ranks can still fire at things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I liked the Medieval II castles that got a second, interior set of walls when you got to the higher tiers. AI couldn't handle it of course but it was still fun

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely I wish they would make settlements without curtain walls but with tiered, enfilading fire points to shoot at units on the approach. They have the ability to do this with the dockable landforms but they put them in the worst positions, including with loving buildings in front of them so nobody can shoot.

The best designed fortification in the game is the imperial pass fort, because you can send out your halberds in front of the gate and get a limited enfilade on anything that tries to barney with them, and then you can also support the walls from the rearward ramparts which are even angled so that the rear ranks can still fire at things.
Yeah I had some optimism about the future of settlement fights when they came out with the Empire forts, but alas they are decent but we will never see anything like them again because :CreativeAssembly:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm getting hyped for my stunty babylonian hyper free market hat afficionados. Now that I'm through re4make I might pick this up and start another campaign.

How's Villitch play out? Every time I go chaos I wind up playing Nkari and Azazel because I'm apparently a pervert that kind of guy.

For the Champions of Chaos crew, it's it worth it to to play on the Bear campaign map for their specific interactions with the portals? Not having to race to the bear is already a big leg up in that maps favor,and Villitch has kind of a poo poo start in IE (E.G. The same start Azazel has in the Ursus campaign minus the part where Azazel can force vassalage on Cathay).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its that the average tenure of a video game programmer or product peeps in the west is like 18 months. in japan its like 10 years so game series are more consistent

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also just like, the full trace is really good at repelling assaults, yeah, to the point where it'd be kind of stupidly unfun to assault in a video game. there's a video game in which i'd be happy digging trenches for three months to get to the jumping off point for my attack but that is ten million percent not a total war video game.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
turns are abstract time, just have a dig trench option for siege machines

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: Also this ^^^

Reiterpallasch posted:

also just like, the full trace is really good at repelling assaults, yeah, to the point where it'd be kind of stupidly unfun to assault in a video game. there's a video game in which i'd be happy digging trenches for three months to get to the jumping off point for my attack but that is ten million percent not a total war video game.
Still less tedious than minor settlement battles.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also also, i'm not actually sure anyone in the warhammer universe has a great reason to be building them in the first place. they're just worse than bigass curtain walls if the other side doesn't have gunpowder or gunpowdery magic, and it's not like most of the gunpowder powers in warhammer have peer competitors that are also gunpowder powers, rights? if you're, i dunno, an imperial engineer designing a fortress in the west where it's only going to face greenskins and vampire counts, building a bastion fort instead of a curtain wall is actual malpractice.

e: i've only ever played the computer game though, i don't know anything about the tabletop setting

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
everyone fights everyone combinatorically in all gw games

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sure there is a very good reason to make deliberately suboptimal fortifications but a lot of the mechanisms used for defence at the moment are so bad as to be actively unhelpful to use, leading to degenerate strategies like the optimal way to fight on most fort maps being to camp in the corner unless you have a massive army, which renders most of the map entirely pointless.

They could do a lot more, personally I would make far more barricadable locations, make the barricades stronger so that you can spend more resources to block off areas, make towers non-replaceable, and put more emphasis on defensive garrison units rather than the tower spam. Also change the wall layouts so that you might want to use them as firing positions to support an extended defense line while you generate more points to barricade up the city and try to thin the enemy out, rather than it being optimal to abandon them and fight as far back as possible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The problem with making ladders suck really bad is that it will make no difference to most factions but screw over a handful really hard.

That said giving most SEMs wallbreaker would mostly make up for it with those factions since they tend to have monsters instead of artillery.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Twitching at the mispronounciation of names in the Zhatan video. Grundi? That's a grudgin'

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Chad Jihad posted:

Chorfs look to combine my two loves of heavy infantry, and units that scream nonsense when you click them

The sounds are really good in this game

I think my favourite is the empire handgunner (I think?)
line of SHOOT ITTTT when some monster or other Big Thing is tearing up the line toward them (as it's normally what I'm yelling at the same time)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
total war needs to just steal from Stronghold and let you create your own fortress

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

The problem with making ladders suck really bad is that it will make no difference to most factions but screw over a handful really hard.

That said giving most SEMs wallbreaker would mostly make up for it with those factions since they tend to have monsters instead of artillery.

The problem is that there isn't much difference between attacking manned or unmanned walls. Either way you're getting the fatigue debuff and that's it. Attacking the former should loving suck. I would love to see more pre-battle options and a reason to delay on the campaign map so the defender can bring in reinforcements.

If you want to take a walled settlement quickly it should require overwhelming force. A turn or two to besiege something shouldn't be unreasonable.

Which means the pre-battle besieging options should be quite powerful as well. Siege ramps in place, breaches, etc.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

also also, i'm not actually sure anyone in the warhammer universe has a great reason to be building them in the first place. they're just worse than bigass curtain walls if the other side doesn't have gunpowder or gunpowdery magic, and it's not like most of the gunpowder powers in warhammer have peer competitors that are also gunpowder powers, rights? if you're, i dunno, an imperial engineer designing a fortress in the west where it's only going to face greenskins and vampire counts, building a bastion fort instead of a curtain wall is actual malpractice.

e: i've only ever played the computer game though, i don't know anything about the tabletop setting

empire fights empire a lot, so there is some cause there. skaven have cannons as well but who knows if the empire knows that.

tho given that somehow lovely tension catapults are capable of totally knocking down a wall in like five minutes, and ogres can just punch them down, it might be better if they just focused on ditches instead of walls.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It's pretty lol that even the AI immediately abandons the walls pretty much every time

Like, the opening setup will put some of their missile units there, but the in-battle AI immediately goes nah, gently caress that, let's all go back inside

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Sounds like you're doing everything right? A weird bug I guess, never saw that. Unless there's a second army at the siege and that's the one you're clicking on instead of the actual siege army? No other ideas
Ah well. Thanks for the effort.

I solved it temporarily by reloading the previous end-turn save and recruiting a random lord to stand outside to force the field battle before I could be besieged. Let's see what happens next time I'm besieged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if the empire isn't fighting people who have gunpowder, they still don't build forts that actually utilize the fact that they have gunpowder. They should by rights be building forts that are designed to have batteries of cannon just hammering the poo poo out of the enemy, but in reality they build a curtain wall that they can't put any artillery on, and which obscures the use of artillery placed behind it.

Gunpowder forts aren't just in response to fighting against gunpowder, they're also designed to allow your own guns the best fields of fire.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

no battles for minor settlements
unwalled settlement battles for major settlements
full on sieges for faction/world capitals and forts/gates/bastion

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Chaos Dwarf starts for both maps

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1641108035635486722

Someone put all 3 IE starts on the map with the other factions to compare.

Though they were using some of the IE old starting positions, plus as you can notice on CA twitter, the IE darklands regions have gotten some updates, it seems some regions have expanded and now you can sail in the river of ruin.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

no battles for minor settlements
unwalled settlement battles for major settlements
full on sieges for faction/world capitals and forts/gates/bastion

gross

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here's one of the things with forts. By design, they stack the deck in favour of the defender to the point where you need to outweigh defenders probably 10:1 or greater.

How do you make that fun - or even not game-breakingly powerful?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I remember a time when LLs didn't all have siege attacker and how people loved when they all got it. Most people does not want to sit and siege for several turns i think.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why even bother with sieges when you can just Encircle a capital and the AI will attack you 95% of the time anyway. There's no way for them to make siege battles engaging in this game without a huge overhaul and the problems stem from every angle. Dwarfs should be dumping large pots of boiling metal on invaders and wood elves probably wouldn't go around building siege equipment out of trees, but there's no resources or will to add that kind of flavor. Every race lives in the same brand of anglicized castle with the same size of main gates even if Skarbrand would bonk his forehead walking through it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Here's one of the things with forts. By design, they stack the deck in favour of the defender to the point where you need to outweigh defenders probably 10:1 or greater.

You don't need to do that but it would be nice if, for example, my siege engines wouldn't spend half their ammo trying to kill a single model hiding behind an unbreakable chunk of wall (if it can even be targeted at all) because the AI fled the walls the second the battle started or, on the other side, if ranged units on walls were actually worth a drat.

Maybe it's just me on the last one, but something about the way ranged units dock on walls seems to really reduce the volume of fire. They never seem to do as much damage as I'd expect to enemy units that have to walk up to the wall and then climb, all while being shot at.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Electronico6 posted:

The Chaos Dwarf starts for both maps

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1641108035635486722

Someone put all 3 IE starts on the map with the other factions to compare.

Though they were using some of the IE old starting positions, plus as you can notice on CA twitter, the IE darklands regions have gotten some updates, it seems some regions have expanded and now you can sail in the river of ruin.

Astragoth playthrough confirmed. Grimgor going down.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Edit: Nevermind, can't read.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have a feeling theres gonna be a lotta open council seats available lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Grimgor vs Kholek vs whichever Naughty Dwarf that is is gonna be a fun start. One of them is down by Imrik, Greasus, and OP Zombie Guy too

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Grimgor surrounded by Chaos and Dwarves.....just as planned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Part of this will be offset by the fact that the player should generally be a little better than the AI and more able to intelligently direct their strategy, knocking down gun positions and spending their ammunition to suppress enemy ranged before committing, which the AI when attacking I think should not do, both because it probably can't and because it's fun to mow down piles of baddies from a big fort.

In addition you already have the siege mechanic, if you don't have the troops to take a fort you can just besiege it until it's weak enough. Again the AI should avoid doing this because it's annoying when it happens to you, but as a player it gives you an option if you flat out cannot muster the force to take the fort but are capable of keeping the enemy reinforcements away through better strategic play. Because defences only work if you want to take the fort right now then the fort can be as tough as you like, really, although again I would say it should be designed so that players can use their brains to make it assailable while the AI is a bit dumber to give you that "defending a big fort from huge numbers of dudes" spectacle.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

Flying gobbos are more powerful than cannon balls

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zzulu posted:

I always thought there should be way more rivalry between the Dinosaurs and Dwarfs. Like you said, a frog basically apocalypsed the entire dwarf civilization. You'd think eventually the dwarfs would find out and write the Grudge of All Grudges against the dinos.

The problem is that what Mazdamundi did is such a tremendous wrong to them that, as Caidin says, if they ever found out about it, it wouldn't be like dwarfs hating skaven or greenskins - it would be a "every remaining living dwarf suits up and goes on a suicidal revenge quest into Lustria" crusade level thing, like the IE Dwarftide endgame.

Also there's no real way anyone could ever "find out" about what Mazda did short of some kind of divine being appearing to them and telling them, because the only one who actually knows that it happened is Mazda himself. There's no record of a random frogman in a Lustrian temple city singlehandedly casting a spell that caused continental drift a couple thousand years ago.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you made forts and cities much harder to take I feel like you'd need to balance it by removing the ability to reinforce settlements or garrison armies. Otherwise, they become impossible to take with any kind of support. So you'd have to make a decision between attacking quickly and taking steep losses on your turn or sieging and risking an enemy army coming to lift the siege on their turn.

But clearly you'd have to radically redesign the game around these changes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, it's entirely personal. For me, I can generally hold anything from 1.5-2.5x my force with a fort as they stand in the game, and that feels about right to me. Much more than that, and you might as well just bunker up and never go on the attack or you'll just lose whole stacks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bahahaha. Dwarves took Black Crag, Grimgor took it back, then I grabbed it with a big army that won't let go. Pirates indeed.

I'm already up to four victory cities. Sartosa, Miragliano, Skavenblight, and Black Crag. I'm going to cross my fingers and see if I can grab Karak Eight Peaks while I'm here.

I know the long campaign wants me to stomp Norsca, but I'm kind of on a roll out here in the Badlands shooting orcs with my dwarf ?buddies?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I remember the sieges in Medieval 2 being fun in a way they haven't been in later titles. If I'm remembering right you got a garrison but then you also got a number of free upkeep slots in a settlement you could park other units in. I want to say they had to be militia units specifically but it's been awhile. The besieged would sally out fairly often as opposed to the almost never in these games and I think attrition was faster so waiting them out was actually an option that wouldn't kill your whole campaign's momentum. There were definitely no ladders and buildable siege equipment was easier to destroy but I think you could make more faster too. Using the Ottoman's huge cannons to collapse the dome of St. Peter's Basilica is still a fond memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Electronico6 posted:

now you can sail in the river of ruin.
:syoon: