Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:gb2gbs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

text editor posted:

the local cops have been complicit in like a 2 decade long child molestation scandal at that church/school and it is connected to a bunch of powerful evangelicals so if it so much as mentions that you'll never see it

"As the investigation continues into the shooter’s possible motives for embarking on Monday’s massacre at a private Christian elementary school in the Green Hills suburb of the Tennessee city, state governor Bill Lee has revealed that he and his wife were friends with murdered teacher Cynthia Peak, one of six people shot dead, and had invited her to dinner that night."

"Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee said his wife, Maria, was friends with Koonce and Cynthia Peak, who was also killed. "Cindy and Maria and Katherine Koonce were all teachers at the same school and have been family friends for decades," Lee said in a video address on Tuesday evening. Katherine Koonce was the head of the Covenant School, according to police."

"[9yo victim] Hallie Scruggs is the daughter of Chad Scruggs, the current lead pastor at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Nashville, who served for several years as associate pastor at Park Cities Presbyterian Church in Dallas."

"Nashville Police Chief John Drake said Hale randomly gunned down people in the school after coming into contact with them. Drake also said Hale was a former student and resented having to attend the school, which was "why this incident occurred."

Wonder when this is shooting is going to move to the epstein thread

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

500excf type r posted:

"As the investigation continues into the shooter’s possible motives for embarking on Monday’s massacre at a private Christian elementary school in the Green Hills suburb of the Tennessee city, state governor Bill Lee has revealed that he and his wife were friends with murdered teacher Cynthia Peak, one of six people shot dead, and had invited her to dinner that night."

"Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee said his wife, Maria, was friends with Koonce and Cynthia Peak, who was also killed. "Cindy and Maria and Katherine Koonce were all teachers at the same school and have been family friends for decades," Lee said in a video address on Tuesday evening. Katherine Koonce was the head of the Covenant School, according to police."

"[9yo victim] Hallie Scruggs is the daughter of Chad Scruggs, the current lead pastor at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Nashville, who served for several years as associate pastor at Park Cities Presbyterian Church in Dallas."

"Nashville Police Chief John Drake said Hale randomly gunned down people in the school after coming into contact with them. Drake also said Hale was a former student and resented having to attend the school, which was "why this incident occurred."

I was referring to the pedophile pastor there who ran a "safe house" for kids who ghost wrote for Roy Moore and Mike Huckabee, but this too

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

500excf type r posted:

Franklin (Tennessee) Credit Scandal

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Getting serious :tinfoil: vibes from this school

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Shirt, questions etc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crazypoops posted:

Getting serious :tinfoil: vibes from this school
(unrelatedly, the school was previously involved in a complex child sex abuse scandal from 2002-2012 involving a prominent pastor who co-authored numerous books with mike huckabee)

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

500excf type r posted:

a (rather lovely seeming) friend of the shooter released some texts hale sent her before the attack, where he said "I left more than enough evidence behind."

hopefully the dipshit left that evidence available beyond the manifesto because that poo poo is gonna end up ~mysteriously disappearing in evidence.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

text editor posted:

the local cops have been complicit in like a 2 decade long child molestation scandal at that church/school and it is connected to a bunch of powerful evangelicals so if it so much as mentions that you'll never see it

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. When I read he'd attended the Christian school I automatically got suspicious. The fact that he targeted a particular staff member makes me suspicious as well

this event gave me flashbacks to the things I went through attending a Baptist christian school for a few years, for example bare-bottomed spankings from the principal (This was in the mid-90's, parents had to sign a corporal punishment waiver) or the bald teacher running his hands through my hair and telling me how I had "such a nice head of hair"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
loving hell

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Crazypoops posted:

Our heros decompressing

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

500excf type r posted:

it really ensmoothened my brain when I understood the dea facilitates the drug market, what’s the analogous state body for mass shootings

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

text editor posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
fuckin true detective poo poo.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Centrist Committee posted:

it really ensmoothened my brain when I understood the dea facilitates the drug market, what’s the analogous state body for mass shootings

fbi

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

uber_stoat posted:

fuckin true detective poo poo.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm impressed, this dude managed to come up with the worst loving approach to the issue I've seen so far

https://twitter.com/KeneAkers/status/1641200137622962176?s=20

I especially like the specification of "public schools" here, which seems a bit eyebrow raising given the context

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Parents: We lost our daughter to a shooter :(

This rear end in a top hat: Look at the brightside kid, you get to keep all the money. :smug:

The insurance company: They were shot in the sternum on a Tuesday in the year of the rabbit, so we will be reneging on coverage.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

skooma512 posted:

Parents: We lost our daughter to a shooter :(

This rear end in a top hat: Look at the brightside kid, you get to keep all the money. :smug:

The insurance company: They were shot in the sternum on a Tuesday in the year of the rabbit, so we will be reneging on coverage.

I’m sorry but your child was engaging in the high risk activity of “going to school”. Claim Denied

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

preexisting condition of being an american

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah ok so the governor did some rapes at the school with Mike huckabees ghostwriter, the staff facilitated this and probably joined in, and one of the victims came back shooting. Being Tennessee I'll just assume al gore was in on it too

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ad campaigns demonizing public schools to drum up business

tie ins/insurance requirements for private schools (shared ownership or with kickbacks)

refusal to offer coverage unless your school district spends a bunch of money implementing whatever new "safety" thing (based on last round of claim denials) is currently being sold by fly-by-night contractors

victim blaming for people who didn't buy child death insurance

and of course all of this is ignoring minor issues like:
*people can already buy relatively inexpensive comprehensive term life insurance for kids because, as an actuarial concern, they're pretty unlikely to die in general, and a scammy limited version of that loaded with perverse incentives is nothing but a grotesque profit-taking opportunity
*we know from other contexts (and basic understanding of how they work) that insurance firms don't actually lobby for much beyond favorable legal conditions and collecting economic rent, they're in the business of risk assessment rather than safety and their response to increased risk/payouts is just raising premiums

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man-arrested-after-bong-shaped-like-an-ak-47-causes-alarm-20230330-p5cwij.html

this is the biggest firearms problem in Australia in a long time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

text editor posted:

i assume it's this?
Austin Davis, Covenant Presbyterian, and the Present Day Battle of Nashville, Tennessee

www.wadeburleson.org, 2014 posted:

On a picturesque hill in southern Nashville, Tennessee, a knoll the old-timers named Red Bud Hill, sits a beautiful building called Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA). On weekends, hundreds of people gather for worship services at this facility, one of the leading PCA churches in the south. Throughout the week, the building is occupied by the staff, faculty, and students of The Covenant School.
✂️
The interesting twist to this particular civil case is the allegation that wealthy and influential Covenant Presbyterian Church leaders "unlawfully intimidated" Austin Davis and his family. Specifically, the allegation is that in 2008 Covenant Presbyterian church officials sought to intentionally ruin Mr. Davis' good name and reputation by falsely accusing him of being 'mentally unbalanced,' telling civil authorities, members of the congregation, and others that he was "a security concern" and was "threatening to bring harm to the congregation or its members by use of force, including but not limited to guns." This slander, according to the allegation, was designed to discredit Austin Davis and to allow church officials to conceal from public view the "heinous and repetitive" sexual molestations of a minor by one of the church's officers (see Complaints 18-24).

Attorney Duncan Cave This court battle, waged by attorney Duncan Cave, has received very little attention nationally, and, surprisingly, none from the Nashville media as of yet. Some of the same people involved in the investigation and prosecution of the infamous Vanderbilt rape case and the murder investigation of Steve McNair are part of this modern-day battle which has affected the lives of many people, particularly Austin Davis, his wife Catherine, and their two teenage children, Daisy and Drew. Austin Davis has gone from a deacon and chairman of the Mercy Committee at Covenant Presbyterian Church and the man who designed the Covenant School logo, insisting the Latin phrase Veritas Christo et Ecclesia ("Truth for Christ and the Church") be included, to a man now persona-non-grata at Covenant Presbyterian Church, alleged by Covenant Presbyterian Church officers to be 'mentally unstable' and a 'potential shooter,' and talked about by those influential leaders in the church with disgust and disdain.

This is no ordinary church conflict. My purpose in writing is to familiarize the reader with Austin Davis and his family and to encourage people to review the appropriate data and records, and to refrain from making a judgment against Austin Davis or Covenant Presbyterian without performing personal due diligence.

✂️
A Dark Secret at Covenant Presbyterian

In the summer of 2007, a youth worker at Covenant Presbyterian was told by a high school junior-to-be that she had been repeatedly sexually molested by her adopted father when she was a young girl. This youth worker reported the allegations of abuse to a pastor at Covenant Presbyterian and confirms that pastoral staff at Covenant knew of the abuse allegations in 2007. For several months the adopted father of the girl, a man who happened to be a church officer at Covenant and the owner of 'the safe house' where the pastors placed the four children of Greg Lurie in the spring of 2002 without Greg Lurie's knowledge, repeatedly denied that he had sexually molested his minor adopted daughter.

However, at some point in early 2008, around the time Austin Davis was willing 'for the sake of peace' to sign a statement that he would "never challenge ... or dissent with (Covenant Presbyterian) leadership again," the father of the girl 'confessed' to church officers his acts of child molestation. The confessed child molester was assisted by Covenant leadership to enter a sexual treatment clinic. Upon returning home from treatment, the wife of the confessed child molester filed for separation. Nearly a year later, on March 13, 2009, the wife of the confessed child abuser filed for divorce, giving one of the reasons for the filing as:

quote:

"The past acts of abuse and molestation of the parties' minor child." (Allegation #8)
Ironically, in the summer of 2007, when Covenant leadership became aware of the allegations of molestation against one of their church officers, I stepped to the microphone at the Southern Baptist Convention and made a motion that ...

quote:

"A database be developed containing the names of all Southern Baptist ministers who have been credibly accused of, personally confessed to, or legally been convicted of sexual harassment or abuse, and that such a database be accessible to Southern Baptist churches."
Though I am not a Presbyterian, my motion was rooted in the knowledge that there is a tendency within religious denominations to 'conceal and cover' sexual abuse by church officers and ministers out of concern for the "reputation" of the church. TIME Magazine declared that the failure of my motion was 'one of the Top 10 most underreported stories in the nation that year.'

When the church officer at Covenant Presbyterian 'confessed' to his molestations in the spring of 2008, there seems to have been no effort by Covenant Presbyterian leadership to 'make known' or 'reveal' the sins of their church officer. There is no police report. There is no public record. There are no discovered church court minutes recording his sins. The Tennessee Department of Child Services, the Davidson County District Attorney's Office, the Tennessee Attorney General's Office, and other civil authorities can produce no record that they were ever notified by the Covenant Session in 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010 of the child molestations.

In addition, the child molester continued to attend Covenant Presbyterian without notification of the church body of his confessed actions, meaning there were no boundaries in place to protect children.

What does happen at Covenant Presbyterian Church after the confession of the child molester from April 2008 to July 2008 seems shocking, and it forms the basis for the lawsuit by Austin Davis against Covenant Presbyterian, the Nashville Presbytery, and the National PCA.
✂️
Why was there a lack of due process for Greg Lurie and others in the church who are opposed by people of 'power and influence' within the church? What is the reason for children being taken from their fathers and placed in a church-designated 'safe house' without their fathers' knowledge? Why so many marriages at Covenant Presbyterian end in divorce after counseling with the pastoral staff? Why is Covenant Presbyterian's Session and pastoral staff not following the Book of Church Order?

The issues would be publicly discussed Sunday, thought Austin! It was not to be.

There Is the Possibility of a Shooter, A Mentally Unstable Person in Our Midst

The last sentence of Austin's June 25, 2006 letter to the church - "This next Sunday would be an appropriate time for six years of lies and slander to come to an end" - was a sentence taken and twisted by the leadership at Covenant Presbyterian.

They began to tell people Austin was 'obsessed,' "mentally unstable," a "possible shooter," and a threat to the congregation and the pastors. The pastoral staff was instructed by Jim Bachmann to wear bulletproof vests. A "security team" was hired and established a perimeter around the church. A picture of Austin Davis was distributed to key personnel. Pastor Jim Bachmann and a handful of others in leadership at Covenant Presbyterian began to act as if Austin Davis was a modern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DillingerJohn Dillinger. The clerk of the Session of Covenant Presbyterian sent a threatening letter on Friday, June 27, 2008, to Austin Davis, telling him if he came to church, he would be 'trespassing' and he should refrain from 'further harassment.' There are, however, no minutes of the Session meeting to authorize such a powerful injunction against a man and his family who had been attending church at Covenant for nearly two decades. Austin was taken aback by the letter, and he was not going to go to church, but his 13-year-old daughter at the time, Daisy, reminded him that 'church is for everyone,' and he shouldn't let somebody threatening him keep him from attending God's house. On Sunday, June 29, 2008, after praying in the parking lot with his wife, son, and daughter, Austin Davis walked into Covenant Presbyterian as he had done for over 18 years, accompanied by his family. He was accosted by men with guns, separated from his wife and children, and threatened to be thrown in jail if he ever set foot on the property again, even though the Nashville police were never called to the church property. The actions were taken by a 'private' security team. The entire experience was humiliating, and it is best described by Austin's mother-in-law, who recounted the incident as well as other intimidation tactics against her granddaughter Daisy in this letter.

## The Police Come to Austin's Home to Check His "Mental Condition"

Three nights later, on Wednesday, July 2, 2008, a detective and a sergeant for the Metro Nashville Police Department arrive on the front porch of Austin Davis' house at 8:05 pm to "check on his mental condition." The police stay for two hours; according to the Davis family, it is the "most traumatic, terrifying event in our family's history." The intimidation was real; the fear was palpable. Covenant leadership, according to what Davis' felt that night, was out to ruin Austin Davis' character and reputation, manipulating civil authorities into believing he was a "mentally unbalanced" stalker personality.
After almost 15 months of continual fear that somehow, someway, church officials would find a way to take Austin's children away from him and to imprison him for 'harassment,' Austin was able to communicate with a very helpful FBI agent who encouraged him to speak out on the intimidation he experienced. Austin wrote an excellent letter on July 31, 2011 to the clerk of the Covenant Session, requesting an explanation for the intimidation tactics Covenant used against him during the events of June/July 2008.
Austin's investigation into the events of June/July 2008 have turned up some interesting and strange facts that seem to indicate collusion between powerful church officials and civil authorities in Nashville, Tennessee. Those strange facts include odd police reports with no originating calls, connections between the investigating officer and the man (a lawyer in the church) who confronted Austin and threatened him with arrest on Sunday, June 29, 2008, and some very strange police behavior on Wednesday, July 2, 2008, the day the police showed up at his house, In short, Austin is alleging that the church manipulated the police through false statements to unlawfully silence a man who was asking questions that could wind up embarrassing the church.
If Austin's allegations are true, then the church's actions are 'unlawful.' Thus, the court battle was waged by Duncan Cave. The circumstances regarding police involvement in attempting to 'silence and intimidate' Austin Davis are documented in a host of files dated from 2008 to 2014. The reader can judge for himself the validity of Austin's claims.
The Child Molester Goes Free
Interestingly, on the night of July 14, 2008, two weeks after Austin Davis was accosted and threatened with arrest as he walked into the church, the Session of Covenant Presbyterian was updated on the "Austin Davis security concern" by Pastor Jim Bachmann, the police officer who checked on 'the mental condition' of Austin on Wednesday night, July 2, 2008, and a powerful attorney within the church. The entire Session and Diaconate were provided 'background on Austin Davis.'
'Background on Austin Davis.' It makes you wonder what was said about Austin Davis that night. I would propose that this post provides 'background on Austin Davis.'

At that same Session meeting, the 'resignation of a man from the Diaconate was 'accepted.'

That man is the one who confessed to child sexual molestation. The minutes of the Session record no background being given on that man.

For two additional years (2008 - 2010), that confessed child molester is allowed to walk freely through the buildings, halls, and classrooms of Covenant Presbyterian Church and The Covenant School.
For those same two years (2008 -2010) Austin Davis is under perpetual 'threat of arrest' for harassment of the leaders of Covenant Presbyterian Church. Finally, in June 2010, Covenant Presbyterian Church "excommunicates" the confessed child molester. The 'ex-communication' occurs during the same summer Austin Davis, after 15 months of silence due to intimidation from church officials, and with the encouragement of a helpful FBI agent, begins to again ask questions of the Session. When the child molester is excommunicated from the church, the official stated reason is that he has been:
"...committing a heinous and repetitive sin against his family and has not shown evidence of repentance."

✂️
Some Christians will gripe and complain about Austin Davis filing suit against Covenant Presbyterian Church. When a church falsely alleges one of its own is a potential 'shooter' and a 'crazy nut,' that church ought to thank that person for taking them to court -- it's far better than their stated expectations.

In closing, I would encourage the reader to peruse the appropriate documents and do your due diligence before you choose a side in this present-day battle of Nashville. As you read through the relevant and pertinent documents, ask yourself three important questions:
(1). Does a church have a responsibility to make known the identity of a known 'child molester'' to its congregation and community for the protection of children, or is it appropriate to cover and conceal the identity of a child molester for the protection of the church's and/or molester's reputation?

(2). Is it possible for an institutional church to use its power and influence to destroy the character and reputation of a person with little influence in the church, and if so, what 'checks and balances' are in place to prevent the subtle but powerful effects of spiritual and religious abuse, and why should Christians fight to ensure these checks and balances are in place?

(3). If you've been moved by Austin's story, would you consider how the Spirit of God might lead you to help the Austin Davis family?

In His Grace,

Wade Burleson

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

not to trivialize the heinousness of the Nashville school shooting but lol if it brings down Bill Lee

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

This is a wild read.

Some Nashville detective showing up at your house to tell you that you didn't actually see anything like Jesse Ventura's man in black from the X files

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

TrekBek posted:

a (rather lovely seeming) friend of the shooter released some texts hale sent her before the attack, where he said "I left more than enough evidence behind."

hopefully the dipshit left that evidence available beyond the manifesto because that poo poo is gonna end up ~mysteriously disappearing in evidence.

didn’t the friend say they hadn’t talked in like 7-8 years so the texts came out of nowhere? that would creep the hell out of me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
just waiting for the story of someone shooting a stranger at a restaurant, and then they are shot by another patron, who is in turn shot by someone else also packing. like a sick domino

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mastershakeman posted:

Being Tennessee I'll just assume al gore was in on it too

hell of a guess. he basically lives in the same neighborhood

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
everyone cool lives in Nashville, loving Melissa Joan Hart showed up at the school and was evacuating kids

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

This is from PBS.

This is propaganda, right? It feels like propaganda

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

This is from PBS.

This is propaganda, right? It feels like propaganda

that feels like retconning, I thought the definition of a mass shooting was 4 or more VICTIMS other than the shooter, not just people dying. You can have a mass shooting where no one dies, what the gently caress, the people still got shot lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"sorry son, your shooting doesn't count because the bullet only shattered your shoulder instead of killing you"

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Going by the School Shootings by Year wikipedia page there's been about 480 since Columbine. Sooooo 15 v 480 is a pretty big disparity

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Going by the School Shootings by Year wikipedia page there's been about 480 since Columbine. Sooooo 15 v 480 is a pretty big disparity

Some of those aren't mass shootings.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
changing the definition of "mass shooting" to make the number go down is extremely on-brand for america

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that feels like retconning, I thought the definition of a mass shooting was 4 or more VICTIMS other than the shooter, not just people dying. You can have a mass shooting where no one dies, what the gently caress, the people still got shot lol

That's just sparkling shooting spree.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

ikanreed posted:

Some of those aren't mass shootings.

Kids in the future are gonna gatekeep school shootings "Only 3 dead? That's not a real school shooting"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Kids in the future are gonna gatekeep school shootings "Only 3 dead? That's not a real school shooting"

"oh your guy went to your school? that's cute I guess, mine was a guy who was too psycho for his local militia and picked my school based on a combination of astrology and next door posts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E not useful

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Mar 30, 2023