Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as a person who sits in front a screen and posts all day, here is what is wrong with kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

anime was right posted:

oral tradition is honestly pretty sick. i dont think with computers or pencils our brains can do that anymore super well.

if you read the book of memory by Mary carruthers there's some good info about the differences in what was considered the hallmarks of a highly "intelligent" person back in the day when printed materials were few and far between. Unsurprisingly, being able to accurately recall information was a huge thing

No doubt those guys were much better at it than we are. But idk I think the fact that we don't have to actually sit down and memorize all that poo poo might save us a bit of time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

as a person who sits in front a screen and posts all day, here is what is wrong with kids
they sit in front of a screen all day but instead of posting, they lurk. there's nothing more demented than a lurker/passive vouyeristic social media consumer

gross

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Egg Moron posted:

I’ve been teaching for about a decade and a half and kids are absolutely less able and less emotionally stable every year. Kids that get tons of screen time are getting their brains absolutely melted by the dumbest content imaginable.

A kid who watches 30 hours of YouTube a week has about the same fine motor skills as late era Stephen hawking and the same emotional disposition as cspam poster

TV is rotting kids brains, yes I know dad

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
idk i'm scared about Kids These Days too but I do have to say all the kids I know are pretty well adjusted with a healthy appreciation for the outdoors and seem to be developing well, so maybe it isn't all doom and gloom

it better not be at least, that's my only hope - firstborn shows up in sept lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Casey Finnigan posted:

if you read the book of memory by Mary carruthers there's some good info about the differences in what was considered the hallmarks of a highly "intelligent" person back in the day when printed materials were few and far between. Unsurprisingly, being able to accurately recall information was a huge thing

No doubt those guys were much better at it than we are. But idk I think the fact that we don't have to actually sit down and memorize all that poo poo might save us a bit of time

elements of ASD make a whole lot more sense thinking about it that way

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

either way it's not like american public school systems have been properly funded or staffed for like, decades

screentime or no, US kids (in aggregate) have a fuckin uphill battle and are more dependent on having available and competent parents/outside-of-school-influences now more than ever, since capital has decided "gently caress them kids, H1Bs are cheaper and some of them got that goodass commie education."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
kids are developing permanent hunches from leaning over their phones, this is real I read an article on it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i am around teachers a lot and think that “kids are getting worse “ is partially kids getting worse but also teachers every year get older and older relative to the students who stay the same age

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also teachers' wages aren't keeping up with inflation, school districts are starved for resources & school boards are becoming more and more insane

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
oh i don't doubt teaching is getting more awful by the year

i just don't know if kids are especially bad any more so than the socrates quote

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

euphronius posted:

i am around teachers a lot and think that “kids are getting worse “ is partially kids getting worse but also teachers every year get older and older relative to the students who stay the same age

alri-- no

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
being a substitute teacher was by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to do so being an actual teacher just seems nuts

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

oh i don't doubt teaching is getting more awful by the year

i just don't know if kids are especially bad any more so than the socrates quote

yeah I'm suggesting that the worsening material conditions of being a teacher and making ends meet probably also shapes your view of your occupation

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Eroding material circumstances are deffo loving the kids up and the teachers are the only ones positioned to even notice the behavioral shift

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah that too but on the plus side people beat their kids less and there's not as much lead paint

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turns out nobody in antiquity said this. It's from a book on parenting in the 40's and was popularized in, you guessed it, 1968.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

webcams for christ posted:

yeah I'm suggesting that the worsening material conditions of being a teacher and making ends meet probably also shapes your view of your occupation

im also wondering if class sizes make a huge impact here.like the bigger the class the harder it is to control and it in the 20s its manageable but after 40 it just has compounded into being impossible, and cell phones serve as a sort of multiplier

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Turns out nobody in antiquity said this. It's from a book on parenting in the 40's and was popularized in, you guessed it, 1968.

there are many such genuine quotes going back to at least the 800s iirc.

e: here's a list of ones that are legit

quote:

"Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt."

Book III of Odes, Horace, ca. 20 BC

"Youth were never more sawcie, yea never more savagely saucie . . . the ancient are scorned, the honourable are contemned, the magistrate is not dreaded"

The Wise-Man’s Forecast against the Evill Time, Thomas Barnes, 1624

"I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such…"

A Little Book for Children and Youth, Earnestly Exhorting Them to Resist the Temptation of the Devil, Robert Russel, 1695

"The free access which many young people have to romances, novels, and plays has poisoned the mind and corrupted the morals of many a promising youth."

Memoirs of the Bloomsgrove Family, Enos Hitchcock, 1790

"a fearful multitude of untutored savages… [boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits…[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody…the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly."

Speech to the House of Commons, Ashley Cooper, 1843

"Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline…"

The Psychology of Adolescence, Granville Stanley Hall, 1904

"We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish."

"The Conduct of Young People", Hull Daily Mail, 1925

"Parents themselves were often the cause of many difficulties. They frequently failed in their obvious duty to teach self-control and discipline to their own children."

"Problems of Young People", Leeds Mercury, 1938

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Mar 29, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Frosted Flake posted:

:thunk:

what a coincidence

Its funny though, goodreads still has it up as a socrates quote.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

being a substitute teacher was by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to do so being an actual teacher just seems nuts

I think being a substitute teacher is harder because the kids instinctively know your position is weaker so they will attempt to swarm you and skeletonize you like a school of piranhas.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

we should never have started writing things down

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052025514496002?t=SSUUjl637KUb0h3W4ukvtQ&s=19

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

webcams for christ posted:

there are many such genuine quotes going back to at least the 800s iirc.

e: here's a list of ones that are legit

lmao yeah a cursory check of sources leads at least as far back as 624 BC, though that itself seems to be referencing an even older work.

nothing new under the sun.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The youth of today are nowhere near as saucie as the youth of yesteryear

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Microplastics posted:

*replicator produces a woman at 50 degrees celcius*

Picard: :ughh:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/6Rgb01f9/OkYjO4.mp4?1487694978792

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

one of the funniest tweets ever 10/10

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

im also wondering if class sizes make a huge impact here.like the bigger the class the harder it is to control and it in the 20s its manageable but after 40 it just has compounded into being impossible, and cell phones serve as a sort of multiplier

also half of the 40 have IEPs and there are 5 that should be in SPED classes but inclusion inclusion inclusion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

please make the class more interesting for the gifted students

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

please make the class more interesting for the gifted students

yeah no problem just let me draft 5 versions of the lesson plan to fully accommodate every student

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah no problem just let me draft 5 versions of the lesson plan to fully accommodate every student

My brother has been asked to do this by the university lol. To find each student's "best of their ability" and grade them on that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pretty sure actual wealthy people have a home gym and their trainer comes to their loving mansion so lol ok

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wow you only have 5 students ?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ChatGPT: I'm so tired

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

you, phronius

what does this mean

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

My brother has been asked to do this by the university lol. To find each student's "best of their ability" and grade them on that.

thats code for "don't fail anyone under any circumstances"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this pro athlete level training, or what's the deal here?

Vox Nihili posted:

thats code for "don't fail anyone under any circumstances"

That's what I figured, since he got in trouble with the department after he returned the grades on midterms.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thats the ruling over whether that guy can sue somethingawful for civil rights violations over a permaban fyi

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al! posted:

you, phronius

what does this mean

the complaint was dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

euphronius posted:

we are experts in posting, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

the complaint was dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction

what is subject matter jurisdiction