Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

man, between battles and backup, you are not ever going to want to let an opponent's creature hit face. Even if they have a vanilla 3/2, you will always have to hold back a blocker. They could drop one of a couple different battles and instantly flip it. They could play a backup creature and give it abilities like reanimating another creature.

I'm going to guess that there's not going to be a lot of good red damage based removal either. I hope there's more of other kinds of removal. You're going to want to keep your opponent's board clear. Or maybe just punish them for not trading with their last creature so they can attack with it on their turn.

also, regarding the zendikar battle. If they have creatures that can get in for 3 damage on turn 4, its not just an explosive vegetation. That only ramps by 2. This will ramp you for 3, taking you from 4 mana straight to 7. It gets even more complicated if you factor in mana dorks. That one from DMU that can turn a land into a 3/3 attacker especially. We're gonna see a lot of Atraxas in standard, I think.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

thespaceinvader posted:

Am i right in thinking there hasn't been a straight up 4 mana put 2 lands in play in Standard until now?

That seems to be the big value here, not the flip card thing - just being able to go turn 2 dork, turn 3 2 extra lands including fixing, turn 4 hardcast atraxa...
That was exactly my thoughts when I saw the card, I like ramp and there has been preciously little of it after Strix and the Quandrix rotated out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rinkles posted:

Recently or ever, cause Explosive Vegetation variants have been printed many times?

Recently

I'm reminded of the time when uro and Growth Spiral were both in standard and you routinely got Emergent Ultimatum on turn 4.

And I thought it was already horrible trying to play aggro.

E: also what the heck is this https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/esper/

It's the next link after the most recent spoiler on Magicspoiler and have no fuckin clue what it is.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 29, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There are several letters in the Patch Notes that are erroneously capitalized in the middle of words. In order, they are "FOLSARLOP" but I don't know what that means. Scrabble tile solver spits out apollos, florals and pallors - of which, pallors is the most likely to mean something.

e:nm it's an anagram of APR FOOLS which is an old promo code

Or their copyeditor is poo poo :shrug:

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

There are several letters in the Patch Notes that are erroneously capitalized in the middle of words. In order, they are "FOLSARLOP" but I don't know what that means. Scrabble tile solver spits out apollos, florals and pallors - of which, pallors is the most likely to mean something.

e:nm it's an anagram of APR FOOLS which is an old promo code

Or their copyeditor is poo poo :shrug:

Yeah, there's a capital i on the same line as the last P to complete the anagram. There have been April Fools events in the past, so it's probably just a cheeky way of saying that something was added.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

Recently

I'm reminded of the time when uro and Growth Spiral were both in standard and you routinely got Emergent Ultimatum on turn 4.

It's the next link after the most recent spoiler on Magicspoiler and have no fuckin clue what it is.

It's a plane for Planechase

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

thespaceinvader posted:

Recently

There is this crappy variant from Vow

quote:

Those are planechase cards, intended for commander I think

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

thespaceinvader posted:

Am i right in thinking there hasn't been a straight up 4 mana put 2 lands in play in Standard until now?

That seems to be the big value here, not the flip card thing - just being able to go turn 2 dork, turn 3 2 extra lands including fixing, turn 4 hardcast atraxa...

There's Expand the Sphere which is kinda that. Vastwood Surge from ZNR is the last good one I think?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Neither of those are actually reliably ramping to 7 on turn 4 though. are they? Top 7 is likely, but not guaranteed, top 6 is obviously worse but comes with upside.

IDK maybe I'm being paranoid - and it's not like turn 4 Atraxa isn't already possible in theory - but it sounds like a potentially oppressive environment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Neither of those are actually reliably ramping to 7 on turn 4 though. are they? Top 7 is likely, but not guaranteed, top 6 is obviously worse but comes with upside.

IDK maybe I'm being paranoid - and it's not like turn 4 Atraxa isn't already possible in theory - but it sounds like a potentially oppressive environment.

I forgot entirely about Atraxa, 4 color control is back let's gooo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On a different note has anyone noticed the amusing interaction between Glissa and Battles?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is there one? it doesn't have counters, does it? just "deal 3 damage"? I don't think deathtouch does anything either since it isn't a creature.

e: just read the oracle wording, it is defense counters so nm

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 29, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

On a different note has anyone noticed the amusing interaction between Glissa and Battles?

its kinda funny for battles that have 3 health or less, but otherwise glissa only triggers if she hits face, so the upside is you can push an extra 3 damage while winning a battle. She can't hit a battle and then remove 3 more counters. its kinda meh

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

CURRENT standard? Boseiju Reaches Skyward gets basic Forests but doesn't fix your mana. Slimefoot's Survey and Titania's Command get two lands each but cost 5 and 6 respectively.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

thespaceinvader posted:

Questing Beast for battles, yes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

its kinda funny for battles that have 3 health or less, but otherwise glissa only triggers if she hits face, so the upside is you can push an extra 3 damage while winning a battle. She can't hit a battle and then remove 3 more counters. its kinda meh

It's exactly this, and it's not a game breaking combo but it is a fun interaction that they probably put in intentionally without spoiling the way Battles work.

Lone Goat posted:

CURRENT standard? Boseiju Reaches Skyward gets basic Forests but doesn't fix your mana. Slimefoot's Survey and Titania's Command get two lands each but cost 5 and 6 respectively.

Boseiju Reaches doesn't ramp at all, it just searches to hand.

Doing any two lands for four with no limit on what is searched is new to this standard. But like I say, I'm not sure it's actually WORSE than current standard in terms of getting a big 7 drop on turn 4 (or 8 drop if you have Goldhound turn 1) it's just a different way of doing it tht will probably be super popular initially.

Unless their backsides are amazing none of the others yet spoiled seem that outstanding.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Boseiju Reaches doesn't ramp at all, it just searches to hand.

Oh whoops I was going by memory and just assumed it was insanely good rather than merely extremely good (in limited).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a lot of ways to get Atraxa out on turn 4 in Gruul

Deck
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 The Cruelty of Gix (DMU) 87
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
3 Phyrexian Fleshgorger (BRO) 121
1 Toxrill, the Corrosive (VOW) 132
3 Atraxa, Grand Unifier (ONE) 196
1 Soul of Emancipation (SNC) 223
3 Ascendant Packleader (VOW) 186
2 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
2 Armored Scrapgorger (ONE) 158
2 Weaver of Blossoms (VOW) 226
2 Lukka, Bound to Ruin (ONE) 207
4 Cut Down (DMU) 89
4 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
3 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
1 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256
3 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Mountain (USG) 343
2 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
2 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
2 Rockfall Vale (MID) 266
4 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
1 Swamp (NEO) 287
1 Forest (ANA) 9
3 Burn Down the House (MID) 131

To do it on turn 4 reliably you probably want Citanul Stalwart or whatever is called

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty easy to do with Big Score, so this is just another way rather than necessarily an amazing way.

E: drat resolving Karn, Living Legacy's ult token takes four fuckin clicks per cycle. I should take him out of this deck again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I know a lot of people in here don't like this kind of talk, but...

There is absolutely matchmaking in Ranked. I've noticed before that if you play jank you seem to always face the jank mirror, and if you play certain off meta cards you'll see them.

I spent all morning playing a very bad R/W equipment deck. Every match I had, 15 or 20 in a row, was against an off meta deck. In Diamond.

I switched to my Atraxa deck and suddenly every match i have is against mono black, mono blue, or other meta deck. But mostly those two.

My guess is that it's just the same algorithm as the Brawl hell queue. I'm guessing that certain cards, maybe a certain number of certain cards, gets your deck flagged as "serious" and placed in a tougher queue. Probably Fable and black removal spells are what puts my Atraxa deck into that queue, if not Atraxa herself

If you don't believe me please test it. Other people have noticed it. If you play a lot of off meta like I do, you really notice

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

precision posted:

There is absolutely matchmaking in Ranked. I've noticed before that if you play jank you seem to always face the jank mirror, and if you play certain off meta cards you'll see them.

I spent all morning playing a very bad R/W equipment deck. Every match I had, 15 or 20 in a row, was against an off meta deck. In Diamond.

I switched to my Atraxa deck and suddenly every match i have is against mono black, mono blue, or other meta deck. But mostly those two.

My guess is that it's just the same algorithm as the Brawl hell queue. I'm guessing that certain cards, maybe a certain number of certain cards, gets your deck flagged as "serious" and placed in a tougher queue. Probably Fable and black removal spells are what puts my Atraxa deck into that queue, if not Atraxa herself

If you don't believe me please test it. Other people have noticed it. If you play a lot of off meta like I do, you really notice
I have never played a meta deck in my life and match completely randomly, you are imagining things entirely

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

precision posted:

Show us some statistically significant numbers

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I played an incredibly off meta deck in Ranked and never played a single jank deck. In fact in all of my time in Ranked and Play, I’ve never seen someone else play Urabrask’s Forge + Filigree Sylex together. I’ve seen both separate in some janky decks.

The queue was not different for me at all regardless if I played Soldiers (#1 BO1 meta deck, most common) or Gruul (uncommon meta deck) or that Red Oil jank (played exclusively by LegenVD in a single YouTube video.

If there was an ability to game the ranked Match algorithm I would fully expect the mythic streamers to do so.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

precision posted:

Nobody likes it because the only evidence we have is anecdotes along the lines of "I had an unusual morning."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey, I'm just trying to help out. It's not just this morning, it's always.

Can you explain to me why you think there's a hell queue for brawl and not one for other modes? Why do one but not the other?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

precision posted:

Can you explain to me why you think there's a hell queue for brawl and not one for other modes? Why do one but not the other?

because they said they made the hellqueue just for brawl. Its a documented feature of the historic brawl queue, its not some superstition.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

It’s also a very easy code to write

If commander =

Golos
Or
Rusko
Or
Baral
Or
Bolas

Queue “hell queue”

And if
TimeElapsed > 30
MatchFound = No

Queue “normal people queue”

End

How do you write that for a constantly shifting standard meta? Some kind of regression analyzing the percentage of each deck that matches the top percentages of the top meta decks, then matches against opponents with a similar regression meta match percentage? Not a fun thing to implement or update or monitor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

precision posted:

It's confirmation bias.

The first bit that is. The second bit is because they explicitly confirmed they were implementing a queue to isolate the most broken commanders back in Prismatic Bridge standard brawl when Bridge (along with Kinnan and a couple of others) was just absolutely dominant, and we have good rason to assume the practice has been maintained, though no actual data to back it up.

E: on a completely different note can we get the people who do the trailers for magic to just make a magic movie please this poo poo is rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvkMPoUNaA

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 29, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like, I'm certainly willing to be wrong, but not if the only argument is "I trust WOTC"

If there wasn't a hell queue for Brawl I would be a lot less sure of this, but I really just don't think there's any good reason to believe they'd do that for one format but not another

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

precision posted:

Like, I'm certainly willing to be wrong, but not if the only argument is "I trust WOTC"

If there wasn't a hell queue for Brawl I would be a lot less sure of this, but I really just don't think there's any good reason to believe they'd do that for one format but not another

The argument isn't "I trust WotC," the argument is

thespaceinvader posted:

It's confirmation bias.

and

A Moose posted:

Show us some statistically significant numbers

house of the dad posted:

the only evidence we have is anecdotes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this thread from Sierkovitz on the shuffler could be applied to the matchmaker https://twitter.com/Sierkovitz/status/1640309986654814209?s=20

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if there was (look at some of the poo poo John Darnielle takes to Mythic lol) but I’ve played my share of off and on meta decks in ranked and it’s never felt like the pool was different. One session a few seasons ago literally every match I played in Diamond was against top tier, super meta decks and then my rank up game to get into Mythic was against Explorer UW artifact aggro lol.

Anecdotally, it feels like competition is softer and decks are weirder early in the morning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The biggest argument against it is the one for just how absurdly hard it would be to make and maintain, when it's completely unnecessary - both the shuffler and the matchmaker.

They have no need to rig it, they have no motivation to rig it, so why would they spend what would be a significant amount of money and work hours to rig it when they can just use basic ELO for matchmaking and an RNG for the shuffler.

We also do know (again because Wizards have confirmed it) that there is a hand smoothing function involved specifically for the first hand drawn in Bo1, in which it functionally draws two hands, compares the distribution of land vs nonland to the deck as a whole, and serves you the one which more closely matches your deck's distribution.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Longer explanation of the bug that's a kind of fun read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/125rqw4/a_bug_to_pierce_flesh_and_spirit_alike_the_story/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Mountain Goats gets access to Arena Premium of course

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just realized MOM draft has the potential for triple rare packs; the rare slot, the multiverse legends, and the guaranteed battle slot. Gonna make some insane draft decks and absolutely unhinged sealed pools

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am definitely saving my draft tokens up for MoM draft, didn't like the shadows as much as I thought. Actually the phantom sealed monowhite was my best and most fun deck so far so might squeeze some of those out again while I still can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It is absolutely buck wild to me that they use machine-reading to generate their card code instead of writing it themselves, but somehow unsurprising.

It's honestly incredible just how few bugs the game has had, considering the absurd levels of complexity of interactions in Magic cards, and the sheer density of rules governing them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

im almost afraid to play this deck, it seems so insane

https://www.17lands.com/draft/eaea126c329d42f18e44faf9ff822692
the draft

https://www.17lands.com/pool/eaea126c329d42f18e44faf9ff822692
the pool

https://www.17lands.com/deck/eaea126c329d42f18e44faf9ff822692
the deck

2 collective brutality, grim flayer, 2 obsessive skinner, traverse, legendary spider, a duskwatch recruiter, 2 rabid bites and 2 of the deathtouch dryad. Feels like this is my draft to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this morning i would have said there's no way there's match fixing in standard but i just went up against toxic aggro decks for six games in a row in unranked and i'm now extremely certain that there's a conspiracy against me specifically