Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

The Falcons are also the team that gave a guard this offseason over $20m a year.

So until we see the numbers, I wouldn't want to assume you'd be happy paying Calais what he just got.

It's a 1 year deal, who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Free agents generally go to whoever pays them the most. Its the same in pretty much every sport.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I wanted Campbell but he didn’t even visit any team but the Falcons. He’s 37. Maybe he just wanted to be in Atlanta to close out his career.

And if you’re a team in need of a DT is Campbell worth double what a guy like Poona Ford or Matt Ioannidis would get?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I wanted Campbell but he didn’t even visit any team but the Falcons. He’s 37. Maybe he just wanted to be in Atlanta to close out his career.

And if you’re a team in need of a DT is Campbell worth double what a guy like Poona Ford or Matt Ioannidis would get?

Yeah he's worth double just like Fletcher Cox would've been but they K'd on him too lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fletcher Cox is better than all of them and at least from Connor’s account they gave Cox an offer they were lead to believe he’d accept but he didn’t want to leave Philly.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Docjowles posted:

What is Bill Belichick's endgame? The Jets somehow fail to land Rodgers, and go 2-15 next year starting Zach Wilson, securing the #1 overall pick. Saleh and Douglas are fired and the Jets trade that pick to NE for Belichick to build a winning culture from the ground up. He farts around in mediocrity in NY for a couple years until he beats Shula and fucks off into the sunset. Meanwhile, the Patriots draft Caleb Williams with that pick and reclaim their rightful throne atop the AFCE for another 20 years under coach Jerod Mayo.

*wakes up, extremely hungover, in a pile of Sam Adams bottles and Fireball nips*

Man I just had a wicked sick dream kid. What's going on? Oh, right, Pats stay boring and bad

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1641066885369462785

Best news I heard all week. I never really thought they'd really go for him but hopefully this ends the white noise articles

7 win season here we come!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1641146889528647680

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

legit mad about this

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I am learning so many weird things from Mike Silver's 60 minute convo with Mike McDaniel.

For one - one of Mike's best buddies is Dan Soder. They grew up together.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Amy Pole Her posted:

I am learning so many weird things from Mike Silver's 60 minute convo with Mike McDaniel.

For one - one of Mike's best buddies is Dan Soder. They grew up together.

I'm a big fan of Soder's and he talks about McDaniel quite a bit, it's clear they're close. Although he laments that he can only really hang out with him in the offseason as Mike is unsurprisingly extremely slammed during the season

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

I'm a big fan of Soder's and he talks about McDaniel quite a bit, it's clear they're close. Although he laments that he can only really hang out with him in the offseason as Mike is unsurprisingly extremely slammed during the season

McDaniel was telling a story about them practicing stand up in Soder's garage in 6th grade. Absolutely wild poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

legit mad about this

i think it's cool

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Docjowles posted:

What is Bill Belichick's endgame? The Jets somehow fail to land Rodgers, and go 2-15 next year starting Zach Wilson, securing the #1 overall pick. Saleh and Douglas are fired and the Jets trade that pick to NE for Belichick to build a winning culture from the ground up. He farts around in mediocrity in NY for a couple years until he beats Shula and fucks off into the sunset. Meanwhile, the Patriots draft Caleb Williams with that pick and reclaim their rightful throne atop the AFCE for another 20 years under coach Jerod Mayo.

*wakes up, extremely hungover, in a pile of Sam Adams bottles and Fireball nips*

Man I just had a wicked sick dream kid. What's going on? Oh, right, Pats stay boring and bad

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1641066885369462785

fsif posted:

They did a segment on ATN about Bob Kraft's comments on Belichick. He said in so many words that he doesn't give a gently caress about Belichick breaking Shula's win record and that the Patriots better make the playoffs.

If any other coach halfassed things post-Tom the way Bill clearly has, they’d have been gone before the year started

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Chris James 2 posted:

If any other coach halfassed things post-Tom the way Bill clearly has, they’d have been gone before the year started

The first two post-Brady years at least had decent plausible excuses - COVID, betting on Newton not being totally cooked and it not working out, rebuilding after a cycle of extraordinary success, and then getting a team with mediocre talent and a rookie QB to the playoffs. Last year was an unbelievable shitshow and would have gotten many, many coaches fired.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/jordanraanan/status/1641418915438813185?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Very cool that it took 15 years to do this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
What did they used to have?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

UBU Sports Speed, which is used also by the Bengals and Vikings.... so with the Bengals right there gonna just presume it's the cheapest and shittiest option.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Breer seems pretty confident that the Rodgers deal is going to be 42 or 43 + a conditional pick next year. And that it’s definitely getting done before the Draft (maybe even this week).

Cool. Hopefully we can stop with LEVERAGE discourse soon.

https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1641422214053462018?s=46&t=OkX8QteY7RXBCBJCaXHbFg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It should be a 3 this year and like a 4 next year that becomes a 2 if they win the super bowl and that is even generous for the packers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you are the most twitter jets fans possible

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
A 3rd and a 4th? Just what are you smoking?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

lol
https://twitter.com/pick_six22/status/1641441016153767937

for anyone who doesn't remember, dude dropped a pick in SB 42 that would have iced it. Next play was the helmet catch, and then the Pats made no effort to resign him next season. So yea, do go off Asante.

Nov 6, 2002

Asante was a great player who just wanted to be paid like one.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sure but you have to admit the rather unique circumstances there creating bad blood in NE

Nov 6, 2002

I don't think it had anything to do with that play. He was disgruntled over money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nosre posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/pick_six22/status/1641441016153767937

for anyone who doesn't remember, dude dropped a pick in SB 42 that would have iced it. Next play was the helmet catch, and then the Pats made no effort to resign him next season. So yea, do go off Asante.

Okay, but I don’t think it’s controversial that Belichick is a joyless hardass and sucks to play for. We all saw Gronk and Tom in Tampa acting like they were on Rumspringa after they got away from Belichick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

A 3rd and a 4th? Just what are you smoking?

What else are the Packers doing with him?

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

What else are the Packers doing with him?

And what exactly are the Jets going to do without him?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yeah, I think the whole “the Packers have leverage!!” thing is idiotic, but both sides have very strong incentives to get a deal done. This was never going to be a trade where the Packers or Jets got fleeced and it was always going to be a pretty fair deal for meaningful draft capital. All the reporting right now reflects that.

Nov 6, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

always going to be a pretty fair deal for meaningful draft capital.

Right, and a 3rd and 4th is not the market price for 1-2 years of a franchise QB.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

And what exactly are the Jets going to do without him?

Go get Lamar.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Right, and a 3rd and 4th is not the market price for 1-2 years of a franchise QB.

Agreed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

2 2's isn't market price for a franchise QB either lol. This isn't the same situation as when franchise QBs have been traded in the last few years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There isn’t much of a market at all for 1-2 years of a franchise QB. Matt Ryan cost a 3rd. Tom Brady was free. Brett Favre was a conditional 4th.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There isn’t much of a market at all for 1-2 years of a franchise QB. Matt Ryan cost a 3rd. Tom Brady was free. Brett Favre was a conditional 4th.

Matt Ryan was not one year removed from being the league MVP. Tom Brady was literally a free agent. The Favre trade happened in a different era practically.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Matt Ryan was not one year removed from being the league MVP. Tom Brady was literally a free agent. The Favre trade happened in a different era practically.

Favre is the closets comp by far. Wilson and Watson had multiple teams interested and were a lot younger. Anything the Jets give the packers is pretty generous imo. They have zero other options.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Matt Ryan is the closest recent comparison, but Rodgers has played at the highest possible level *much* more recently, so it's reasonable to value him higher.

Though I'm still dubious that the Jets are actually going to get 2021 Rodgers. It is 2023, after all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comps aren’t really terribly important as it seems everyone is in agreement a two is the floor right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Right, it’s a unique situation and you can’t really speak confidently about market value because this trade is going to establish that. But the closest relevant situations involved less compensation or the team just letting their old HoF QB walk for nothing.