Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol then how about everyone stop killing each other and have a chat

woah, that's demanding the entire nation to commit seppuku or drink some special flavor aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

atelier morgan posted:

my suspicion for this is poland wants the option to seize lyiv in case the ukrainian government collapses, whether that's while fighting continues in the east or if it happens as the (probably inevitable) result of a peace deal

drat how could these opportunist realpolitik schemes happen in our capitalism

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lyiv... kviv

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Realpolitik has been a sham and a failure for a year now, I wouldn't count on it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Poland making a play for Lwow would make a lot of sense.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm going to say in reality nobody knows how this war ends.

Everyone is just preparing for WW3, if we're not in the opening act of it already.

I really doubt Kremlin is making all these changes and reforms just because of Ukraine.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KitKlarenberg/status/1641103994817765376
:thumbsdown:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh word?

Does anyone have a good explanation for how a bit of a himbo actor and a bunch of neonazis and urban liberals were the perfect recipe to push a state to fight "To the last Ukrainian"? I can see it in practice, I can see the line from Maidan, through the Ukrainian Army not really fighting in Crimea or even 2015, to where we are now, I can even see the intentions spelled out in retrospectives on the Georgia War, but I don't quite understand why this, specifically, was such a potent combination.

Like, how did they set up the political architecture to go from no shots fired in Crimea and very unenthusiastic fighting around Mariupol (in 2015) to this:

Without triggering a military mutiny of the sort that brought down the German and Russian Empires?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i guess putin wont have anyone left to genocide

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even if Blood and Soil nationalism is a hell of a drug, most Ukrainians aren't Galician, most were not Neo-pagans of Bandera fans before 2014, many had fond feelings about Russia if not the USSR, and it's only been 8 years, not a generation or anything. To go from allied countries to "ancestral and racial enemies" in 8 years is a hell of a social project.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

being invaded and having land you consider yours occupied by a perceived enemy country can be a very radicalizing experience. revanchism is powerful and the forces unleashed by maidan have had almost a decade in power to consolidate. then when the invasion started ukraine generally and zelensky specifically became backed by an extremely powerful propaganda apparatus. idk it doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Why would you close the circle on the graveyard your enemy keeps pouring soldiers into?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh word?

Does anyone have a good explanation for how a bit of a himbo actor and a bunch of neonazis and urban liberals were the perfect recipe to push a state to fight "To the last Ukrainian"? I can see it in practice, I can see the line from Maidan, through the Ukrainian Army not really fighting in Crimea or even 2015, to where we are now, I can even see the intentions spelled out in retrospectives on the Georgia War, but I don't quite understand why this, specifically, was such a potent combination.

They each bring something to the table: a pliant mouthpiece and literal actor, organized gangs with ideology and an absolute willingness to use violence, and the managers and administrators already installed in positions of power who while they might shy at spilling blood themselves delight in having other people do it for them.

lobster shirt posted:

being invaded and having land you consider yours occupied by a perceived enemy country can be a very radicalizing experience. revanchism is powerful and the forces unleashed by maidan have had almost a decade in power to consolidate. then when the invasion started ukraine generally and zelensky specifically became backed by an extremely powerful propaganda apparatus. idk it doesn't seem that complicated to me.

also this

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i recall an interview,i think on radio war nerd, where they talked to a ukrainian guy who had gotten out of kiev and he said that even formerly pro russia people had turned against russia, people were making an active effort to speak russian, etc.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh word?

Like, how did they set up the political architecture to go from no shots fired in Crimea and very unenthusiastic fighting around Mariupol (in 2015) to this:

Without triggering a military mutiny of the sort that brought down the German and Russian Empires?

the constant repetition of MONG MOSKALIS ARE SLAUGHTERING PURE WHITE UKRANIAN BABIES has turned nominally informed people on this very forum loving insane, is it really that difficult to imagine that the propaganda hose doing this to peripheral dumbasses on a dead gay forum is any less potent on its actual target?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah. It just really easy to keep going along with mass suicide and not doing anything about it despite how obvious it is.

You can just look at society around you right now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lostconfused posted:

Nah. It just really easy to keep going along with mass suicide and not doing anything about it despite how obvious it is.

You can just look at society around you right now.

i worship his divine shadow

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also I would say it's less about propaganda and more about repression. Anything besides full on support for the war is brutally suppressed. Nobody wants to be the only person going against the flow, and people will snitch on each other just to appear loyal.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

i worship his divine shadow

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

I'm going to say in reality nobody knows how this war ends.

Everyone is just preparing for WW3, if we're not in the opening act of it already.

I really doubt Kremlin is making all these changes and reforms just because of Ukraine.

been saying this

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Also I would say it's less about propaganda and more about repression. Anything besides full on support for the war is brutally suppressed. Nobody wants to be the only person going against the flow, and people will snitch on each other just to appear loyal.

It's mindblowing to me that Zelensky had his own negotiator iced and there was all of like two days where they tried to pretend Russia did it and then realized no one gave a gently caress lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Malleum posted:

the constant repetition of MONG MOSKALIS ARE SLAUGHTERING PURE WHITE UKRANIAN BABIES has turned nominally informed people on this very forum loving insane, is it really that difficult to imagine that the propaganda hose doing this to peripheral dumbasses on a dead gay forum is any less potent on its actual target?

Right.

bedpan posted:

They each bring something to the table: a pliant mouthpiece and literal actor, organized gangs with ideology and an absolute willingness to use violence, and the managers and administrators already installed in positions of power who while they might shy at spilling blood themselves delight in having other people do it for them.

Yeah. When you break it down like that, the mix of English-speaking, western aspiring, urban PMC's and skinheads is what made Maidan successful too.
Seeing all of the pieces come together since 2014 does make me wonder, a little, if Servant of the People (the show) and Servant of the People (the party) were part of a long term project or what.

When the Ukrainian Army and State collapse, in whatever order, I wonder what happens to each of the respective groups. A lot of think think tank and media people from the PMC contingent are already living outside Ukraine, so that's settled, they'll just leave, but I wonder about where the fissures in the coalition are and which groups might try to accept a peace deal. The one worked out before Bojo intervened and the top negotiator was killed seems to have been worked out by pre-Maidan professional soldiers and diplomats remaining within the Ukrainian state, I wonder how strong their hand still is. Zelensky, we saw, got bullied away from accepting peace by the skinhead contingent when the stakes were far lower, so I don't expect him to be the first one to move in that direction. That doesn't leave a lot of groups with the power and coordination to avert catastrophe here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that was interesting for saying that nato was training Ukrainians to attack Russia since 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

The United States is losing influence catastrophically by underestimating Russia. It doesn’t have the industrial capacity to provide artillery ammunition to Ukraine. The best policy is an immediate ceasefire, I argued.

That would be a humiliation for the United States, but a salutary one. In the 1970s, Vietnam did the US a favor by humiliating it before Russia did. The Vietnam debacle made possible a complete rethinking of US defense strategy, and America’s ultimate victory in the Cold War. Putin may thus be doing the US a favor by humiliating it now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

I think that was interesting for saying that nato was training Ukrainians to attack Russia since 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unifier

2014 would suggest that NATO was already planning to attack Russia before anything even happened, since ATO started in april 2014.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If the Ukrainians actually do completely fold won't it just result in civil war as all the disparate nazi groups struggle for power, like Iraq after the US Invasion? I doubt Russia or anyone else will care enough to send troops into any area they aren't directly annexing.

Although I guess the IMF has racked up a lot of Ukrainian debt at this point, so maybe something will be done to protect that debt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

Some people have been saying that between this and all of the Ukrainian and Euro politicians saying Minsk was a ruse (remember a major part of the Ukrainian Army was partially encircled when it was signed) does not bode well for a diplomatic solution this time that leaves the Ukrainian state and military intact. That can only be amplified by Ukraine whacking their negotiator, the purges in areas Russia gave up without much fighting, Nordstream etc.

I don't know where you go from here except to the Polish border, honestly. There's not a single Ukrainian official now, I believe, who would do anything other than swear to rebuild and prepare for the next war, should a ceasefire be signed today.

e: like even the games the west is playing with Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya and, to a far lesser extent, Alexei Navalny, signal an intention for regime change, you can't really give them an inch imo.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Mar 30, 2023

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Frosted Flake posted:

Poland making a play for Lwow would make a lot of sense.

that’s why the imf made the loan to Ukraine - scaring off any other second class nato country from trying to get a piece of the looting and embarrassing the US

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know where you go from here except to the Polish border, honestly. There's not a single Ukrainian official now, I believe, who would do anything other than swear to rebuild and prepare for the next war, should a ceasefire be signed today.

Sure, but does that scare Russia? Most of the international refugees are not coming back. The enormous stockpiles of Soviet weaponry are gone. The power infrastructure will take years to repair and the industrial sector will probably be largely bankrupted by then. Their creditors are going to strip whatever remains for scrap value. It's likely that whatever Ukrainian state emerges from the war will be a basket case.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
As far as ground pressure goes, I'm not sure that it tells the whole story. From a cursory search:
M1 Abrams tank: 103 kPa, 20-17.75 kW/ton
Leopard 2A6: 81 kPa, 17.7 kW/t
1993 Toyota Hilux: 170kPa, 45 kW/ton (2.8 liter diesel)

Pretty sure it's not too hard to drive a hilux through that mud in Sweden we saw the Leopard stuck in.

Frosted Flake posted:

Percent of Jewish population killed during the War of Independence from Bolshevism

I hate that I knew this, but I didn't think Ukraine was so high.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Losing a war against Russia on its turf? Who could've foreseen this?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weka posted:

Almost 1/4 of all Jewish Holocaust victims were killed in Ukraine, IIRC.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Weka posted:

As far as ground pressure goes, I'm not sure that it tells the whole story. From a cursory search:
M1 Abrams tank: 103 kPa, 20-17.75 kW/ton
Leopard 2A6: 81 kPa, 17.7 kW/t
1993 Toyota Hilux: 170kPa, 45 kW/ton (2.8 liter diesel)

Pretty sure it's not too hard to drive a hilux through that mud in Sweden we saw the Leopard stuck in.

im guessing it works if you compare between the same kind of contact-with-ground but doesn't if you start mixing up treads and tires like some kinda FREAK

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

Sure, but does that scare Russia? Most of the international refugees are not coming back. The enormous stockpiles of Soviet weaponry are gone. The power infrastructure will take years to repair and the industrial sector will probably be largely bankrupted by then. Their creditors are going to strip whatever remains for scrap value. It's likely that whatever Ukrainian state emerges from the war will be a basket case.

I suppose yet again this ties in to Ardennes' point about the horizons of liberalism because the USSR took on rebuilding pretty much all of Central and Eastern Europe, not only to have a buffer but (contrary to post 1991 editorializing) also to build functional states and societies. It cost them enormously, even the effort they spent rebuilding Austria, pretty far down their list of priorities, was immense. The Marshal Plan deservedly gets the credit, and of course the Soviets did not have the same sort of cash, but they singlehandedly rebuilt Budapest, Warsaw and those East German cities that were absolutely flattened, for example.

I don't see the Russian Federation doing the same, or even wanting to, really, but Mariupol shows at least some attention has been paid to that. Looking further back, how they've rebuilt Grozny now is pretty incredible too, though I don't know how much was Russia and how much was Kadyrov.

Idk, I guess this is a real test of political will and state capacity. With the Union State idea they've floated with Belarus, they could potentially go for a solution that sees White Russians and Little Russians living in the same supranational state, but that would be a huge political and economic project. The Soviets would do it, undoubtedly, but I just don't know.

Also, I'm taking it as a given the west will arm, fund and support whatever kind of partisan movement they can get going, and with a border on NATO countries it would be relatively easy for them.

SplitSoul posted:

Almost 1/4 of all Jewish Holocaust victims were killed in Ukraine, IIRC.

Yep. Proportionally, I think also the smallest amount killed in the camps in the later stages. Which is also an important distinction.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it’s based on petrified wood you dumbass

This u?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is the good poo poo, inject this into my veeeeeeiiinnsss

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

Yep. Proportionally, I think also the smallest amount killed in the camps in the later stages. Which is also an important distinction.

It has become an extremely controversial topic in history scholarship, but the most up-to-date research suggests that the overwhelming majority of victims killed in the holocaust were killed by the bullets of soldiers or auxiliaries. The idea of the camps being industrial slaughter machines has lost credibility in the face of evidence that they were mostly slave labour camps where the majority of deaths inside them weren't from deliberate killing, but from being worked to literal death and starvation.

Not that the distinction between being worked to death and being gassed to death is a big one, but it's still one that has historians wanting to throw hands over it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lobster shirt posted:

even then, zelenzky was elected in a landslide in 2019 on a platform of peace with russia

i think it's more this:

Lostconfused posted:

it's kind of like how you hear about how much hong kongers hate china. they're the ones that get platforming in the west and thus the ones you see.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

lol they can't help blurting it out

https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/1641138709247725571?s=20

https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/1639621422200000512?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

It has become an extremely controversial topic in history scholarship, but the most up-to-date research suggests that the overwhelming majority of victims killed in the holocaust were killed by the bullets of soldiers or auxiliaries.
Not that the distinction between being worked to death and being gassed to death is a big one, but it's still one that has historians wanting to throw hands over it.

It seems fairly straightforward to understand what the real conflict is: That's a direct challenge to Double Genocide Theory and the nationalist myths that have been cultivated in Central and Eastern Europe since 1991. If Jewish people were killed somewhere else, in the camps, by Germans, the local Political heroes can have their involvement or, at best, passivity, explained away. If they themselves did it, it becomes problematic.

e: The day operations started in Crimea, my shop got a message requesting the names of Polish, Russian and Ukrainian speakers and their readiness for deployment, I don't think it's a secret (though I have no idea what people outside knew) that NATO was involved. Once we started building replica Soviet/Russian/Ukrainian gun positions and trenches, other training stuff like that, I think it was inferred that the foreign military we'd be advising/instructing/training wasn't going to be the ANA anymore (lol).

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Mar 30, 2023