Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Getting shot out of a big loving gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Getting shot out of a big loving gun.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I miss soloing to the secret chest to try to get the Telesto catalyst

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I miss spire's platforming section.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I liked Spire of Stars.

I think the only raid in the game I truly dislike playing is Garden of Salvation and that's just because its mechanics are so finicky and buggy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

how tf did you like spire of stars if you dislike finicky and buggy mechanics

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

so this dude showed up in my 0.4 kdr quickplay game, and then appeared again in the next game after the lobby was broken up?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

those sure are some numbers

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kith posted:

how tf did you like spire of stars if you dislike finicky and buggy mechanics

Very well, I contradict myself, I contain multitudes.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I like Garden of Salvation but I only ran it once, didn't have any bugs, and had two really solid people actually teaching mechanics.

I think Crota's End would be fun to have back if Wrath is still a no go. It's not a great raid by any stretch but I'd love to see the discourse about two easy raids back to back. Plus I think there's room for Bungie to shake up those encounters from the way they worked in Age of Triumph.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I strongly maintain that Garden of Salvation is not 'buggy', but it is definitely 'finicky' and 'annoying'

That would be such a suckbutt Reprisal for so many reasons, since the guns are redundant trash & it would blow chunx to have to kill that final boss every week for your 1x Redframe

re: Crota and RoN. I don't think it's a problem that they are 'easy'. I just think it's boring that only 1 and sometimes 2 people are DOING anything. RoN is going to age like milk, unlike the proper raids where you can stave off the boredom by learning how to do Other Role

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve got like 16/100 for WH catalyst since last night. Pretty sure I didn’t even get 16 kills across those games. I may just grind it out then just do my regular poo poo to get the 300 “points” or whatever you need from other activities.

It is fun, I’m greatly overestimating its range though. What’s a good Primary Ammo pairing with it? I’ve been mostly running an Ashen Wake Titan or a Strand Titan. I tried the “unkillable Void Titan!!!” Builds I’ve seen around but I got my rear end kicked with those.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the one time I did the Crota on hard it was five people hiding on a ledge with gjallarhorn and one person doing cool poo poo with a sword

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i am extremely bad at pvp but the energy slot primary everyone seems to be using is the ikelos smg from last season, with DSR/rangefinder if you can craft it

e: apparently bungie's already said that smg frame is cruising for a nerf though

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve got like 16/100 for WH catalyst since last night. Pretty sure I didn’t even get 16 kills across those games. I may just grind it out then just do my regular poo poo to get the 300 “points” or whatever you need from other activities.

It is fun, I’m greatly overestimating its range though. What’s a good Primary Ammo pairing with it? I’ve been mostly running an Ashen Wake Titan or a Strand Titan. I tried the “unkillable Void Titan!!!” Builds I’ve seen around but I got my rear end kicked with those.

I think they gave everyone the bonus to the catalyst that existed in Season of Arrivals, which I think was either 2x or 4x. Iirc, they did the same thing with Eriana's Vow.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I queued up for comp on a whim on my strandlock build, thought to myself "Oh I probably shouldn't have grapple on" and I was SO WRONG

https://i.imgur.com/6LiHpqI.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dodgeblan posted:

the one time I did the Crota on hard it was five people hiding on a ledge with gjallarhorn and one person doing cool poo poo with a sword

Yeah that was how it worked. The early D1 raids had a real hero problem where there was one key player and everyone else was support at best (relic guy and sword guy). KF and Wrath were better about that and hats why they changed a bunch of mechanics for D2 vault

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Since we have a lot of new kids in here, I'm just gonna repost this.

It's Free Raid Loot (And Catalyst Grinding):

PERMACAV 50 posted:

step 1: buy forsaken (or the forsaken content pack, or whatever it's called now)
step 2: load up last wish
step 3: go to the wish wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k97kwG--7Y

step 4: punch this poo poo in (don't use an explosive payload gun or anything with weird effects like outbreak perfected or osteo striga, it'll mess it up). scouts are best for this imo, i use a servant leader. the pictures will not change any faster than about once a second.

step 5: stand in the circle and warp whistle to the encounter
step 6: open da door and shoot da thralls!!

she'll spawn waves until "Shuro Chi's Song" hits the 2:30 mark. you'll get ~65 kills per run but i've gotten over 80 when grinding catas for stuff like prospector and colony. speaking of which this is also good for grinding heavy catalysts in particular bc you can rally for ammo before each run. when you run out of adds just kill yourself (stand on one of the plates near the boss or jump off an edge)

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

With some mildly irritating platforming, you can backtrack to the secret chest for no-questions-asked raid loot! The only things you can't get are the curated rolls, 1kV, and ship/sparrow/shell. One chest per weekly reset per character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAkGzeCFFmg

This is currently the only soloable source of a void AR or solar rocket launcher!* (there's also a kinetic sniper, pulse and scout; arc fusion rifle and HC; and a solar bow. you can also get all the armor this way. but who cares)

Also I found something else while looking for that, please add this to the thread OP

*not counting iron banner/roar of the bear since that's not always available. also i forgot about ascendancy because i literally never use it but hey maybe you don't have mats to buy it from the kiosk. this way costs nothing but time and sanity

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 29, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wouldn't the Avalon mission be way better at catalyst kill farming there's SO MUCH endless trash on that first encounter.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

wouldn't the Avalon mission be way better at catalyst kill farming there's SO MUCH endless trash on that first encounter.

i have run that exactly twice so i gotta admit it didn't occur to me, BUT it does not drop any raid gear at all, let alone a void AR which are suddenly rare after Gnawing Hunger dropped from one thing or another for like two years straight. also it requires purchase of the current season and will be gone after this year!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

arsenicCatnip posted:

you have to do Riven legit if you wanna cope about RoNs difficulty, I've decided.

I can do Riven legit without a callout reference, and I think RoN is just fine. The day1 was too easy tho.

They honestly just hosed up the combat scaling on the high end.

EDIT: To elaborate on my opinion... bungie very rarely creates content designed to not be achievable by a majority of the game's population. Almost every "hard" activity is designed to be farmed due to every single achievement-centric difficulty/activity being a massive dud on engagement metrics. It's a massive disappointment to lose one of the exceptionally rare achievement activities that this game has. Day1 raiding is an achievement activity. Normal mode raiding is designed to be farmable by everyone and that's fine, but day1 is a 1 or 2 day event that never happens again... it should not be in the same class as normal mode (or even master mode) raiding.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 29, 2023

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

haveblue posted:

Yeah that was how it worked. The early D1 raids had a real hero problem where there was one key player and everyone else was support at best (relic guy and sword guy). KF and Wrath were better about that and hats why they changed a bunch of mechanics for D2 vault

I actually like the atheon encounter model of one hard role, two medium roles and an easy role

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

apparently enemies are flagged to not give catalyst/weapon progress past the first wave or something. You'll probably still get good progress just doing it, but it apparently doesn't work as a farm.

Something about them doing that sort of thing feels really...iunno, silly? Like they're acknowledging they're spawning way too many adds, and don't want you really be able to make use of that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The vex invasion event is still causing crashes, unfortunately.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Something about them doing that sort of thing feels really...iunno, silly? Like they're acknowledging they're spawning way too many adds, and don't want you really be able to make use of that.

It's the RPG side of the game (progress must be carefully throttled to hit the right balance of empowering, tedious, aspirational, and frustrating) fighting the FPS side (it's real fun to make a lot of poo poo blow up) refereed by the mistakes they've made in the past (loot cave, thrallway, shuro chi which I'm surprised remains viable for this)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

haveblue posted:

(loot cave, thrallway, shuro chi which I'm surprised remains viable for this)

i'm guessing shuro chi still "works" because if you're solo it's mechanically impossible to get past the first wave anyway and it's not worth their time to gently caress with it so it doesn't count towards catalysts or gun levels.* i imagine if you jumped off the cliff after the first wave of the first avalon encounter and restarted it every time, it would work each time you restarted.

but that is fewer dudes to kill and getting to that point in avalon takes about as long as punching in the code, and again there is no secret chest full of no-questions-asked raid gear

*do not level a crafted gun this way. it takes WAY more kills than just using it in strikes for a week or whatever. i know because i got my calus mini from zero to 16 at shuro chi and it loving sucked

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Shuro Chi with tether is the most efficient way to quickly get some levels with a special or heavy ammo gun, its just hideously boring for zero reward otherwise. I wouldn't bother with primaries just play the game

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

grapple melee not one-shotting despite it putting you in the same range as a shotgun would while being even less safe is extremely lmao

its a real "commend the enemy team out of spite" kinda day today

arsenicCatnip fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 29, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
With Grapple, it feels like everyone at Bungie had a different idea about whether it should be movement tech or combat tech

Obviously it 'is' both, but like... the balancing of its movement vs combat effectiveness is really strange, across different modes

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Now that Orb making is tied to helmet mods, is there any point to masterworking weapons? The very small stat boost feels pretty pointless.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

They should have replaced boosted jumps with Grapple, Or there should never have been a difference in the grapple refresh times between campaign and any other activity.

On the other hand you can boost jump, grapple for more distance, and then boost jump again. So triple jump distances are kinda nice.

Snuffman posted:

Now that Orb making is tied to helmet mods, is there any point to masterworking weapons? The very small stat boost feels pretty pointless.

For some exotics It makes the gun. Some not so much,like I removed the catalyst from cerberus+1 because all it did was give you an option to long-press reload to get worse damage.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 29, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Snuffman posted:

it's extremely good on some weapon types. Range masterwork on SMGs and Sidearms, for example, turn some of those guns from mediocre into god killers.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah, I grabbed that 5/5 nightshade and finished the masterwork between two matches, it's like I toggled

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I'm starting to think this Buzzard sidearm doesn't actually exist. I don't even care if I get a good roll, I just want *a* roll for collections so I can have the option of wasting vanguard engrams on the dang thing!
Doesn't help that Glassway is kind of a slog even on hero difficulty, especially with the dumb spider mines everywhere that no one bothers to shoot at.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

shuro chi which I'm surprised remains viable for this)

it's part of Last Wish, which they are terrified of touching

not "touching in any meaningful way", just touching period

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

the last wish oracle is still there

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bungie put Forsaken together with the 30th Anniversary Pack. Its now the only way to buy Forsaken content.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

arsenicCatnip posted:

the last wish oracle is still there

lol, and also: lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

it's part of Last Wish, which they are terrified of touching