Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
rename the thread to happyday economics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

i would say entire regions being considered the middle of nowhere and not worth the outreach even though they are basically untapped basins of unsatisfied workers just because they arent near a major city is a big obsticle for building communism in america

:yeah:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

waves are made of individual water molecules, but that doesn't mean you're going to understand their behavior by studying their individual differences. you can sell people on epigenetics and iq and evolutionary psychology all you want, but you're selling them on ideology, not scientific understanding. the reality is simply we don't understand behavior very well, not even really how to measure it, and no matter how burning the desire or great the need for an answer, it's only going to materialize through us painstakingly building up an understanding of the variables in play.

This is dumb. The basis of materialism is that people are affected by their material circumstances. Thats literally all 'epigenetics' means: people are affected by material circumstances down to a cellular level. Environmental factors express themselves in your biology. Where do the environmental factors come from? What our society chooses to do. If you'd like to change epigenetic expressions of material circumstances, change the material circumstances. Its not complicated, theres no need to invoke mysticism

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
so we got ignoring eugenics and religion as reason why the left has failed

can we get not wearing the stars and stripes for the trifecta?????

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Benagain posted:

Personally I just imagine you're all fbi agents attempting to ward off any action by pre emptively convincing everyone that everything is a lost cause. Otherwise this forum of doom filled jaded malcontents might actually do something. It's like a reverse honeypot, a poo poo pot if you will. And God help me I keep coming back for more.

We're all just interested citizens, friend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tristeham posted:

rename the thread to happyday economics

Please no negative thoughts in the DOOMsday thread. TYVM. :)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DrPossum posted:

is it like a dog or something?

Its a south american giant rodent, about the size of a medium dog, yeah. They're very chill

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DrPossum posted:

is it like a dog or something?

This will tell you everything you need to know about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvjgPU5mz4

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lessail posted:

so we got ignoring eugenics and religion as reason why the left has failed

can we get not wearing the stars and stripes for the trifecta?????

Deliberately ignoring simple ideas in favor of jumping to the worst possible conclusion

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Deliberately ignoring simple ideas in favor of jumping to the worst possible conclusion

wear the flag pin, comrade

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Yes I’m a Marxist, no I don’t believe that material conditions effect anything, and no, I definitely don’t know what epigenetics even is

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Benagain posted:

I like how this thread seesaws between "everything is just utterly hosed with no hope" "lol doing anything other than revolution is worthless" and "god why aren't people revolting in the objectively correct way"

all of these things can be true; I don't think that's see-sawing

Our government and our electoral system have been clearly subverted on multiple levels by interests with resources far exceeding ours. We have repeatedly tried to reform this system electorally only to be defeated through procedural means. The people who hold the power in the Democratic Party clearly have firm control over the party, and also clearly have an agenda that isn't really aligned with helping anyone outside of their bubble, which is really only shrinking year over year. The lack of support for interests outside of their own means that nearly all activism will be ineffective activism by default.

edit: that must be why they call you mirthless

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Lessail posted:

don't call it a come back, eugenics been here for years

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

can we get some based freddie deboers going in chat

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The religion thing is baffling. It's been a force of reaction and of the status quo for thousands of years, but because there's like a thousand leftist Christians we have to accept a bunch of god-bothering nonsense that's incompatibility with solidarity and unity. How can a so-called Christian leftist hold solidarity with non-Christians if said Christian thinks their comrades will burn in hell literally for-loving-ever because they're of a different or no faith?

Like it or not, religion is an enemy of the people and has been since its inception. To deny otherwise is the libbiest of poo poo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
seeing a lot of unfamiliar posters. very manic today.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
powerful weekend chat energy here on this Wednesday

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

let's stop the epic normie question in its tracks: what does the average american think of communism? should that mean we give up on it?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

mycomancy posted:

The religion thing is baffling. It's been a force of reaction and of the status quo for thousands of years, but because there's like a thousand leftist Christians we have to accept a bunch of god-bothering nonsense that's incompatibility with solidarity and unity. How can a so-called Christian leftist hold solidarity with non-Christians if said Christian thinks their comrades will burn in hell literally for-loving-ever because they're of a different or no faith?

Like it or not, religion is an enemy of the people and has been since its inception. To deny otherwise is the libbiest of poo poo.

but have you considered that 1 time jesus flipped a table over?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/craigtimes/status/1641145454778777622?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eClA

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1641205398249283584?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eClA

theCalamity has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Mar 30, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol anybody who has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will die early due to the collapse of the biosphere and/or microplastics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

probed for doom in the doomsday thread

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
econ thread is never ready for biosphere thread

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

You can literally breed diabetic rats just by alternating high and low calorie diets over a few generations but the term that describes the process sounds sort of like a different icky word so it’s bad and also fake

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i did NOT see that coming.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

This is dumb. The basis of materialism is that people are affected by their material circumstances. Thats literally all 'epigenetics' means: people are affected by material circumstances down to a cellular level. Environmental factors express themselves in your biology. Where do the environmental factors come from? What our society chooses to do. If you'd like to change epigenetic expressions of material circumstances, change the material circumstances. Its not complicated, theres no need to invoke mysticism

that is not even close to what epigenetics means.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

oh people think i'm reacting to nix panicus and not the based deboer freaks earlier

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mycomancy posted:

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The rule against perpetuities is fake and can't hurt me, no matter what Disney wants me to believe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tempora Mutantur posted:

yeah, this

anecdotally, in the late 90s, the difference I personally experienced between a well-funded public school and the public school I had to move to in middle school meant things like:

-- no more metal or woodshop classes (did my first spot weld at age 11)
-- no more home ec classes that literally taught me how to cook
-- no more broad-topic mechanical classes (they called it "technology" but it was like, how different shapes affect structural integrity, how aerodynamics work for both air and ground vehicles, etc and all super hands on learning, like I'll never forget an assignment/class competition to make a cardboard packaging structure that could withstand the most PSI, and our projects were then put into a giant vice crusher thing that we used to see how many PSI we could apply before they crumpled)
-- no more budget for encouraging kids to get into academic competitions, nor any such competitions
-- no more focus on learning things like using word processors or spreadsheets or presentation software (which, while stupid, was one more thing that helped me remain employed during the late 00s and still further my career)

in return for those losses, I got a bunch of burnout teachers with 30+ student classrooms

since then, things have gotten so vastly worse between have and have-not school systems, especially with conservative shitlords making sure that only private christian schools/for-profit charter schools get funding at the expense of public schools, and shitlibs being the ineffectual whores-of-capital they were born and love to be

imo it's really hard to grasp just how hosed the vast majority of kids are in america if you haven't already seen the effects of wealth disparity on school systems firsthand, as a student or a teacher, in no small part thanks to rich media failkids who think they're journalists spitting out whatever capital shoves up their assholes

it's not the kids' fault, it's the fault of capital/this demon cracker nation and its awful, awful, awful capital-captured leadership

I started primary school in 1986. Even in a lovely bottom third rural school district I had wood shop, metal fabrication shop, and home economics. The equipment was from the 1960s but the classes were still there and were mandatory. I learned how to balance a checkbook and handle my finances and all that stuff.

Apparently even good schools don't get that stuff anymore, which is sort of depressing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A nice trick but they write the laws so good luck Disney.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
deboer's crusade to rehabilitate the SAT is funny because it's true that whatever's replaced standardized testing is an opaque "subjective" assessment, but all that means is admissions should be random chance of applicants

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Radirot posted:

seeing a lot of unfamiliar posters. very manic today.

tbh this one's been messing me up too, just random driveby posts from dudes with no posts in the thread usually saying some FUD-y poo poo

I often wonder what percentage of our community is accounts belonging to law enforcement and/or political organizations, gotta be at least a few people in every thread right?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mastershakeman posted:

The rule against perpetuities is fake and can't hurt me, no matter what Disney wants me to believe

gently caress off, god-botherer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I welcome the new accounts and their FUD posts. The discourse must flourish.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zodium posted:

that is not even close to what epigenetics means.

can you explain because that explanation sounded right based on what wikipedia said and I think most of us don't have academic experience with this term like you seem to

I am saying this from the perspective of someone who wants to hear your viewpoint and has no position in this broader argument fwiw

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
wait, what happendd to leon

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
I just think it would be cool if it turned out I was the only one of u who was right and then God smote u

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
I don't know if it will happen, but I hope powerfully enough that it does that I've come to know this profound hope as faith

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

wait, what happendd to leon

won't don't you go ask him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted: