Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

joylessdivision posted:

So I just ordered this album based on the cover alone:
And then found the music video and :allears: I can't wait til it arrives

https://youtu.be/PfAu8vqAHxc

Giorgio gets a nice shout out in this Mouth Congress ditty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2KPd_uF6x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Records. How do they work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdUvoc7tJ4

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

joylessdivision posted:

look if the cover made you buy it you will absolutely not be disappointed

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Mail finally arrived today.

Which album is this at bottom center? I recognize it but can't place it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

I watched this earlier today and I'm still not 100% sure how records work at all.

Like, I get that a sound wave is scratched into the surface. But I still don't understand how it translates as all those different sounds.

Then according to that video, stereo sound is created by adding extra wiggles to the needle.

It's basically witchcraft.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

I watched this earlier today and I'm still not 100% sure how records work at all.

Like, I get that a sound wave is scratched into the surface. But I still don't understand how it translates as all those different sounds.

Then according to that video, stereo sound is created by adding extra wiggles to the needle.

I don’t understand radio

pwn
May 27, 2004

Creature posted:

I was ripping a bunch of songs from my collection recently, using a line in from the preamp's monitor out into my laptop. I could still have the music on my bookshelf speakers to monitor when I needed to begin recording in Audacity (Audacity doesn't pipe through the music unless it's recording) and then mute the speakers after I start recording, since there's a slight delay between the two and it's not pleasant to hear.

As I was going along, ripping songs day after day, I was listening back to a track with a light piano opening, and noticed that there was this faint, ghostly pre-echo about half a second before the playing started. I figured it was always there but I hadn't heard it before. Then I noticed it in another recording. And another. And I figured out that the sound from my speakers was bleeding into the recording in Audacity somehow? I don't understand how, but I started muting my speakers before recording and no more :ghost: echoes.

Also if you're playing a louder song and don't have your speakers on, and you lean in towards the turntable, you can hear the unamplified music.

It is witchcraft

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Also if you're playing a louder song and don't have your speakers on, and you lean in towards the turntable, you can hear the unamplified music.

It is witchcraft

Victrolas are just a big iron spike and a horn. It’s weird stuff.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If I'm not mistaken, that video gets the mono compatibility thing wrong. You still need a stereo needle to play stereo records. Compatibility had to deal with how the record was mixed - basically they ensured that if you played it back on a mono receiver (using a stereo needle wired for mono) that you wouldn't run into weird issues.

I also found it ironic that he used Sgt. Peppers given how famously the Beatles only cared about the mono version, but that's just me being a nitpicking Gus.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I was ripping a bunch of songs from my collection recently, using a line in from the preamp's monitor out into my laptop. I could still have the music on my bookshelf speakers to monitor when I needed to begin recording in Audacity (Audacity doesn't pipe through the music unless it's recording) and then mute the speakers after I start recording, since there's a slight delay between the two and it's not pleasant to hear.

As I was going along, ripping songs day after day, I was listening back to a track with a light piano opening, and noticed that there was this faint, ghostly pre-echo about half a second before the playing started. I figured it was always there but I hadn't heard it before. Then I noticed it in another recording. And another. And I figured out that the sound from my speakers was bleeding into the recording in Audacity somehow? I don't understand how, but I started muting my speakers before recording and no more :ghost: echoes.

It is witchcraft

Did you switch to headphones?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Toe Rag posted:

Which album is this at bottom center? I recognize it but can't place it.

That's Half Japanese's Horrible EP.

Swung by a record store I use to go to in high school all the time that is miraculously still there and still dusty and classic rock heavy. Spent more than I expected to but found some really cool stuff. If you can't read the sheets on the bottom those are radio show recordings of Roxy Music (BBC Rock Hour #330) and Warren Zevon (Off the Record Specials with Mary Turner).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

pwn posted:

It is witchcraft

I've heard that when transferring some old records at work before without and speakers being used and wondered if it was the neighboring groove affecting the needle? Seems hard but if they are cut too close it might make that little ghost pre-echo. Since the arm is moving in it would be pushing against the next groove so it might pick up some from what's against that.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The week's haul:

Also CONSUMER WARNING: Avoid the Coke Bottle pressing of Molchat Doma's Etazhi. Side 1 is ticky (calmed down with a cleaning), but Side 2 has a consistent "SHHHHHRip" that shows up every rotation through the left channel caused by non-fill. After some research, this issue is apparently not limited to just this but ALL Sacred Bones pressings of Etazhi. Had I not stopped this record halfway through the side, I could've also suffered a bent needle thanks to how the runout groove is cut (in fact, I was kind of worried I already suffered an issue as the two records I played after that had some bad IGD, but it must've just gunked up my stylus somehow and a magic eraser fixed that problem).

The original pressings on Detriti Records don't have this issue.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Special delivery from Japan:

Happy End - Kazemachi Roman
Arthur Verocai - Saudade Demais
Hydeout Productions - 2nd Collection

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lmao I'm quite the fool for posting a tv schedule in the rekkids thread!!

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 28, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Well done, pwn.

Hear, hear, I got one too, and I put it on while I was doing handicrafts late last night and really enjoyed myself. Here is a pic of the playlist:

You have really impressed me with the scope of your music tastes, though I shouldn't be at all surprised.

I should put one together for you all too, I've just been a little busy with making musical instruments and learning to play them. I feel like I'm very slowly getting near where I can record a performance and call it an "album" I suppose. I've hardly looked at records in a couple of weeks. Here's the only one I've found:

Kitsch off the scale here

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 28, 2023

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I also got a pwn CD. Pwn pwns.

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists? I.E. the hokey names you see pop up again and again and again in dusty old thrift store record collections. I gotta give a shoutout to Johnny Horton, who's actually some pretty fun classic country. Worth spending 50 cents or a dollar or whatever on one of those greatest hits collections next time you run across one.

Not exactly a single artist but a while ago I found a bunch of Newfoundland folk records and all of the songs are poo poo like this and it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbJiBE2UPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-BOOk_13A

My grandparents were from there so I thought it would be fun and it turned out I was right. My grandfather listened to a lot of stuff like this and was a big country fan.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Also CONSUMER WARNING: Avoid the Coke Bottle pressing of Molchat Doma's Etazhi. Side 1 is ticky (calmed down with a cleaning), but Side 2 has a consistent "SHHHHHRip" that shows up every rotation through the left channel caused by non-fill. After some research, this issue is apparently not limited to just this but ALL Sacred Bones pressings of Etazhi. Had I not stopped this record halfway through the side, I could've also suffered a bent needle thanks to how the runout groove is cut (in fact, I was kind of worried I already suffered an issue as the two records I played after that had some bad IGD, but it must've just gunked up my stylus somehow and a magic eraser fixed that problem).

this stuff really bugs me. one would think given how well vinyl is selling these days that companies would exercise some quality control but I feel like each new record you buy there's like a 15% chance there's a very noticeable defect. that sort of non-fill is, as far as I can tell, pretty much unheard of with records pressed prior to say, 1987 - I only hear it on new pressings. and even though I'm ok with some pops and clicks here that velcro scraping of nonfill is something I just can't stand. it's not just that though - there are records that are miscut, mastered lousy, or do things like cut off the first few seconds of a side or use the completely wrong version of a track (this seems common especially with RSD stuff). I mean come on folks you're already charging a premium for this, is it too much to ask that you at least clean up the obvious stuff?

fwiw I've also been ordering some stuff from Japan, particularly through Light in the Attic, and it astounds me how much more care is put into that stuff. not only are the records clean and dead silent but they sound amazing and are really dynamic. a number of American pressings don't sound much different from the MP3s I used to listen to.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

JAMOOOL posted:

fwiw I've also been ordering some stuff from Japan, particularly through Light in the Attic, and it astounds me how much more care is put into that stuff.

Light in the Attic fuckin' rules. :cheers:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been wanting this for a while, I finally went for it on Discogs. I love Glenn Jone's solo guitar work and found out he was in this band; they even did some work with John Fahey which I find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3V9mIP7kQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADg2TgAEeI

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I forgot there was a Fahey cover on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8L09hQQnos

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

this stuff really bugs me. one would think given how well vinyl is selling these days that companies would exercise some quality control but I feel like each new record you buy there's like a 15% chance there's a very noticeable defect. that sort of non-fill is, as far as I can tell, pretty much unheard of with records pressed prior to say, 1987 - I only hear it on new pressings. and even though I'm ok with some pops and clicks here that velcro scraping of nonfill is something I just can't stand. it's not just that though - there are records that are miscut, mastered lousy, or do things like cut off the first few seconds of a side or use the completely wrong version of a track (this seems common especially with RSD stuff). I mean come on folks you're already charging a premium for this, is it too much to ask that you at least clean up the obvious stuff?

fwiw I've also been ordering some stuff from Japan, particularly through Light in the Attic, and it astounds me how much more care is put into that stuff. not only are the records clean and dead silent but they sound amazing and are really dynamic. a number of American pressings don't sound much different from the MP3s I used to listen to.

Half the people buying this poo poo are just going to hang it on the wall.

Read After Burning posted:

Light in the Attic fuckin' rules. :cheers:

LITA is one of my favorite reissue labels. Their catalog is bonkers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah mail today was real good. Shout out to Vinyl Pursuit in Canada for the great prices on these vintage records. And they included some extra plastic sleeves so that's handy as hell.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lol every time I saw “ultravox” all I could think was “ultra violence” :nice:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
G|----7-xx8-x5-x77|----7-xx8-x5-x77|
D|0-0-(let ring) - - |0-0-(let ring) - - |

That time of year again.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Received my Dead Moon box set and it puts most other label's offerings to shame. It came with a ton of stuff and all of it is really high quality. The patch and the stickers in particular are really nice. Not pictured (tote and huge poster). Also, the records were flat and sound great. :rock:

And in other news my April mix dropped a little early. All vinyl. Funk, soul, latin, rare groove, and some yacht rock.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-44-ft-dj-pete-moss/

quote:

1. Run the Jewels - Pull the Pin (ft. Mavis Staples and Josh Homme)
2. Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky
3. Monophonics - Check In
4. Monophonics - Sage Hotel
5. Alma - Mi Desengaño
6. Ali Baba (Louie Ramirez) - Ungawa
7. Nelson y sus Estrellas - Fantasia Latina (Guaguanco)
8. Chumei Watanabe - Downtown Blues
9. The Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street
10. Rico and the Special AKA - Jungle Music
11. Bobby Hutcherson - Ummh
12. Tony Newton - Les Girls
13. Robson Jorge and Lincoln Olivetti - Aleluia
14. Brooski- This Love
15. Douchette - When She Loves Me
16. Jim Croce - Roller Derby Queen

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

So many pre-orders I'd like to buy into but shipping is insane and vinyl prices are not going down. Why am I paying $60 for a new release.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

So many pre-orders I'd like to buy into but shipping is insane and vinyl prices are not going down. Why am I paying $60 for a new release.

Yeah. Amazon got us all used to free shipping and now the sticker shock is setting in as companies are ditching that model. Where are you shopping that a normal price is $60? I've resigned to paying $25ish + shipping for most new stuff.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I bought Turnstile's Glow On a month or so ago off of BrooklynVegan at about $22 total incl. shipping and I thought at that price I was gonna get an ill-pressed frisbee, but nah it sounds so good I can smell the moshpit dookie from my living room.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah mail today was real good. Shout out to Vinyl Pursuit in Canada for the great prices on these vintage records. And they included some extra plastic sleeves so that's handy as hell.

Warren Zevon still feels underrated to this day. Excitable Boy is fantastic, but I need to track down the S/T on vinyl still.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Received my Dead Moon box set and it puts most other label's offerings to shame. It came with a ton of stuff and all of it is really high quality. The patch and the stickers in particular are really nice. Not pictured (tote and huge poster). Also, the records were flat and sound great. :rock:

And in other news my April mix dropped a little early. All vinyl. Funk, soul, latin, rare groove, and some yacht rock.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-44-ft-dj-pete-moss/

Holy poo poo, you got the set with the limited edition Dead Moon ironing board? That thing is going for ridiculous prices on discogs now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Amazon got us all used to free shipping and now the sticker shock is setting in as companies are ditching that model. Where are you shopping that a normal price is $60? I've resigned to paying $25ish + shipping for most new stuff.

This one was a one off but I bought a copy of JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown’s ‘Scarin’ the Hoes’ and the record was 54 with 6 dollar shipping.

But then you go on bandcamp and almost all the non US bands are charging 11-20 in shipping. Crazy times. Makes more sense to just wait and see who. Gets copies into shops now to avoid the big shipping charges.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Death Grips definitely be taxin' on some of their albums (Powers that B and No Love Deep Web were both like $45+!), because they know idiots like me will pay for it. :smith:

Money Store and Bottomless Pit were both way more normally-priced, I think $24.99 each.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I tried to warn everyone but nobody listened!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The worst shipping cost I've seen so far was something like $20/$25 from the UK.

FOR A $15 RECORD.

So shout out to whoever I bought my copy of "East of the Sun" in Germany from. $30 total with shipping.

And while I generally avoid pre-orders I absolutely smashed the pre-order button on the vinyl release of the Splatterhouse arcade soundtrack. Jokes on me though because that poo poo isn't coming out till August :negative:

https://spacelab9.com/products/splatterhouse-soundtrack got the "Mouldering Purple"

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh yeah I definitely don't buy anything outside of the US anymore which is a bummer because there is a lot of cool funk 45s out there but I am not paying $15 + $15 shipping for two songs. I don't see how people can collect new 7inches anymore .

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm basically just rebuying my old CD collection at higher prices at this point, dropped $80 w/ shipping for 3 Tomahawk albums this morning.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Looking like VMP are feeling the pain of their bonkers pricing model...

Bonus records are posted in Month 1, picked from here : https://www.vinylmeplease.com/collections/vmp10-bonus-records

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

And holy poo poo I thought 150$ for six months was a bit pricey back in 2019, it's 237$ now!