Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

In Norway only the Skjold-class corvettes have nice names.
P960 – KNM «Skjold» - Shield
P 961 – KNM «Storm» - Self explanatory
P 962 – KNM «Skudd» - Shot
P 963 – KNM «Steil» - Untranslatable, means steep impassable terrain, but then also implacable, unbendable, unwavering
P 964 – KNM «Glimt» - Flash
P 965 – KNM «Gnist» - Spark

Everything else is boring place names, like islands for the mine hunters, rivers for the minesweepers, or explorers for the frigates. Oh no, Thor Heyerdahl is coming to spout wild theories at you in an atrocious accent!
The subs are named for tiny villages or islands beginning with U, but they ran out it seems, so the 6th boat in the Ula class is named "Uredd" (Unafraid) instead. :v:

Occasionally we get some cool norse gods, I hope we're due for some again soon. (Lol, we won't build new warships for decades).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It was always fun looking over the names of Norwegian ships in Harpoon because they looked like random collections of letters: Lok, Dulf, Skurg, Bjek, Trov, Gval, Hfin...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Not much related sea story, but Navy related, I used to love pulling into Norway, beautiful country, everyone's just insanely friendly, absolutely wonderful place, and first on my list to return to as a civilian. Relevantly, everyone there in a big city under like 40 speaks absolutely perfect English, I had less trouble understanding most Norwegians than I did any Scot.

Anyways, I'm sitting in a bus in Haakonsvern, waiting to head into Bergen on liberty, the windows are down and my COB is sitting directly in front of me, there's two armed Norwegian guards sitting around chatting right outside the bus, they're chatting in Norwegian, because, uh, of course they are.

I overhear the COB mutter "speak loving English" just softly enough for the guards not to hear him.

And that right there tells you all you need to know about that fuckin' dude.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elviscat posted:

As always the Brits have us beat on everything Navy related, Astute, Artful, Ambush, Audacious, those are ships to be feared. Like "oh poo poo the Brits have sent the motherfucking Ambush to hunt us down" vs "oh my, the Americans have sent the, uh USS City of Corpus Christi to find us".

Counterpoint: HMS Daffodil.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
We hunted the Norwegian sub Bruinvis during an exercise in Scotland once. They told us it translates to Bear Fish which sounds kind of metal. I think I remember it being a big pain in the rear end to track as all things on the P-3 are.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I overhear the COB mutter "speak loving English" just softly enough for the guards not to hear him.

And that right there tells you all you need to know about that fuckin' dude.

I sat next to a salty as gently caress USN chief on the bus from Haakonsvern once who spent the entire ride into town talking poo poo about "the loving Germans promoting a 23 year old girl to CPO" :v:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wonder Free posted:

We hunted the Norwegian sub Bruinvis during an exercise in Scotland once. They told us it translates to Bear Fish which sounds kind of metal. I think I remember it being a big pain in the rear end to track as all things on the P-3 are.

Bruinvis is a Dutch boat, and although bruin is bear (literally just 'brown') and vis is fish, the english name would be porpoise like a whoole lot of other subs trough history.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like the HMS Agamemnon . Try to get us yanks to say that one three times fast! Or HMS Indefatigable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We waste all our good names on these smol guys.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My PEP tour was onboard a German fast boat, Gepard class which are all named after small carnivorous mammals. :v:

Gepard (Cheetah)
Puma
Hermelin (Ermine)
Nerz (Mink)
Zobel (Sable)
Frettchen (Ferret)
Dachs (Badger)
Ozelot (Ocelot)
Wiesel (Weasel)
Hyäne (Hyena)

They’re all decommissioned as of 2016. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress yeah. My first ship was the Guardian (MCM-5).

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Crab Dad posted:

:lol:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Cyclone-class got some good ones, too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don’t forget HMS Gay Viking.

Sadly, to quote Rickover, “fishes don’t vote”.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t forget HMS Gay Viking.

Sadly, to quote Rickover, “fishes don’t vote”.

The Gay class was armed merchant marines no?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Blockade runners yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Blockade runners yeah.

Pretty metal actually.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I like the thematic naming. Like the OHIO class:

State
State
State
State
U.S. Senator (deceased)
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerekk posted:

I like the thematic naming. Like the OHIO class:

State
State
State
State
U.S. Senator (deceased)
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State

How about

Fish
President
State
gently caress it we're out of money.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The State he was from was open as a name too, the boat itself is half heartedly WA and Seattle themed.

Also universally known as "the HMJ" or "Her Majesty's joke" because it's a piece of poo poo and tied to the pier 24/7.

USS Washington, a VA class, has a badass boat logo though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

The State he was from was open as a name too, the boat itself is half heartedly WA and Seattle themed.

Also universally known as "the HMJ" or "Her Majesty's joke" because it's a piece of poo poo and tied to the pier 24/7.

USS Washington, a VA class, has a badass boat logo though.

That is a badass logo. I super enjoy the form line art.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
And VIRGINIA is named for 28 states, 4 WW2 submarines, a former SECNAV, a former senator, and Rickover, and LOS ANGELES was 61 cities and Rickover, and STURGEON was 34 fish and 3 politicians.

gently caress, stick with a theme.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

How about

Fish
President
State
gently caress it we're out of money.

Also hull number shenanigans:

SSN-773

SSN-21 BECAUSE IT'S THE SHIP CLASS OF THE 21ST CENTURY!
SSN-22 uh, the ship of the 22nd century?
SSN-23???

SSN-774 The actual ship class of the 21st century, instead of a fat short choad of a slightly improved 688.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think if you're going to name a ship after a person, it should be a person who served on that type of ship. Jimmy Carter gets a submarine, George HW Bush gets an aircraft carrier, that all makes sense. No naval service, no ship named after you, you can get your name on a barracks or a swimming pool or something.

e: and the assorted John McCains just get one of everything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And soon we'll have the Columbia-class, the lead boat named after a city where the votes in presidential elections don't count.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

USS Columbia, which is distinct from the other, still in service USS Columbia, both SSxNs. Are they going to rename the old Columbia to the city of, or does anyone know the plan there?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

USS Columbia, which is distinct from the other, still in service USS Columbia, both SSxNs. Are they going to rename the old Columbia to the city of, or does anyone know the plan there?

It'll technically be USS DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elviscat posted:

The boomer will have the full name USS District of Columbia. Not awkward at all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
lol we're gonna have a boomer named for the city named after the female personification of the United States (see also: Britannia) who also has a submarine named for a different city named after her

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The boomer will have the full name USS District of Columbia. Not awkward at all.

They'll just call it the Deecee, but it will rapidly degenerate into the USS DEEZ NUTZ.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The fast attack sub force and the boomer sub force barely acknowledge that each other exist so they will just call them both COLUMBIA in casual conversation and it will rarely have the opportunity to be ambiguous.

Much like HENRY M. JACKSON is just "Jackson" and there's never a problem with confusion for the actual USS JACKSON.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

McNally posted:

lol we're gonna have a boomer named for the city named after the female personification of the United States (see also: Britannia) who also has a submarine named for a different city named after her

Technically the city is named Washington, so they should just name it USS WASHINGTON to avoid this.

Ah, gently caress.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cerekk posted:

The fast attack sub force and the boomer sub force barely acknowledge that each other exist so they will just call them both COLUMBIA in casual conversation and it will rarely have the opportunity to be ambiguous.

Much like HENRY M. JACKSON is just "Jackson" and there's never a problem with confusion for the actual USS JACKSON.

Conversely I almost never heard of the Wayne E. Meyer referred to as just "Meyer" around the strike group, but maybe that's because it's fun to say "Waney Meyer" a lot. IDK how it is on board the actual ship.

Cerekk posted:

Technically the city is named Washington, so they should just name it USS WASHINGTON to avoid this.

Ah, gently caress.

I'm beginning to suspect that we, as a country, might just suck at coming up with original names for things.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I thought you guys were discussing chief test results with all this chatter.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that we, as a country, might just suck at coming up with original names for things.

I originally hoped they'd retcon SSBN-826 to be named for the Columbia river and we'd have a whole class of subs named after rivers, but then they pushed out the retirement date of actual USS Columbia and also you rapidly run out of rivers that don't share names with states.

But the USS SNAKE and USS ATCHAFALAYA would have been cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Conversely I almost never heard of the Wayne E. Meyer referred to as just "Meyer" around the strike group, but maybe that's because it's fun to say "Waney Meyer" a lot. IDK how it is on board the actual ship.

I mean, we as an American population come up with the best original names, they are just relegated to Scifi. But scifi requires thought whereas politics....

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Man I thought you guys were discussing chief test results with all this chatter.

Congratulations on making ITC

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I mean, we as an American population come up with the best original names, they are just relegated to Scifi. But scifi requires thought whereas politics....

Anyone know the naming committee and can slip in a recommendation for USS FORWARD UNTO DAWN...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Arrinien posted:

Anyone know the naming committee and can slip in a recommendation for USS FORWARD UNTO DAWN...

The "committee" is just the SECNAV and whatever random subordinate he tasks with giving him ideas to use, which is why random off-theme names keep popping up and also why naming ships for politicians is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheDreadShips/status/1641182160399880193?s=20

Looks at cabinet with all the coffee cups and the 3 I use during the week: Yeah, I think I should get this one