Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Swarm is the bizarro Poker Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Swarm is the bizarro Poker Face.

Watching episode 2 right now, you're not kidding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm trying to watch the hunger games and this might be the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen in my life

Just watch the scenes with Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, or Woody Harrelson

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first Hunger Games is pretty uneven. Obviously the director had to be a little careful about showing violence against and between children in a PG-13 mainstream film, but overall I actually just don't remember a lot of the movie at all. ISTR the sequel being stronger because it's less about the titular games.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Have finished the new Beavis and Butthead on Paramount + and it's really pretty good- consistently funny with surprisingly good animation. I kinda wish there was more of just the video riffing (and when doing the YT stuff they tend to go easy on the actual people making the videos, the jokes are usually more of a skit) but they get out some solid bangers.

"My mama always said, there's food in the fridge, I'll be back in a couple weeks."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hunger Games 1 is the bad one that you can skip. The other three are by a different director and form a dope trilogy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The NIXIUM episode of Swarm goes hard man lol. I'm enjoying this hosed up show more and more as I watch. I'm 5 in now.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

mcmagic posted:

The NIXIUM episode of Swarm goes hard man lol. I'm enjoying this hosed up show more and more as I watch. I'm 5 in now.

It gets weirder!

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Swarm is good stuff.

I always get a Monty Python meets David Lynch vibe from Donald Glover.

Which is awesome in my book.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

h3r0n posted:

Swarm is good stuff.

I always get a Monty Python meets David Lynch vibe from Donald Glover.

Which is awesome in my book.

That's an almost perfect description of him. Or his style I guess.

And yes Swarm is very good so far.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The first Hunger Games is pretty uneven. Obviously the director had to be a little careful about showing violence against and between children in a PG-13 mainstream film, but overall I actually just don't remember a lot of the movie at all. ISTR the sequel being stronger because it's less about the titular games.

The only thing I remember from the first Hunger Games is the camerawork being dogshit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

The only thing I remember from the first Hunger Games is the camerawork being dogshit

Yeah the first big rush sequence is just "Shake the camera around to make it disorienting" (and as I said I suspect this was a way to avoid having to show more violence than the studio would have tolerated.)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The HG movies are definitely different shades of bad but also definitely toned down, I never read the books but my wife did and according to her they had stuff like 'monster hounds crafted from the dead bodies of the failed contestants' and other truly nightmarish stuff that would be effective horror if they were allowed to go hard R (but since the audience is the YA crowd that was never gonna happen)

I do remember they fight some kind of ghouls in the sewer in one of the later movies that kind of touches on that vibe but barely?

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's shitloads of dumb/implausible/ridiculous stuff in the books where you would think "wow there's no way this would possibly work in a movie" and the movies did a surprisingly good job of making it work

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I didn't catch enough of it to have an actual opinion but I walked through the room while my fiance was watching Mayfair Witches and actor playing who I believe is the "bad guy" looks like a cross between Dave Matthews and Seth MacFarlane which is about as non-intimidating a combination as I can imagine.

Fake edit: it's Jack Huston

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thiccabod posted:

I didn't catch enough of it to have an actual opinion but I walked through the room while my fiance was watching Mayfair Witches and actor playing who I believe is the "bad guy" looks like a cross between Dave Matthews and Seth MacFarlane which is about as non-intimidating a combination as I can imagine.
I dunno, that sounds horrifying to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The hunger games are bad, but dystopian fiction owns, so it kind of balanced out

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the first big rush sequence is just "Shake the camera around to make it disorienting" (and as I said I suspect this was a way to avoid having to show more violence than the studio would have tolerated.)

I'm surprised more action films haven't followed the lead of Fury Road and gotten rid of shaky camera work and to put the focus in the center of screen at all times.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm surprised more action films haven't followed the lead of Fury Road and gotten rid of shaky camera work and to put the focus in the center of screen at all times.
Haven't they toned down the shaky camera thing recently? I feel like it was worse a few years ago.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Absolutely loving Swarm. Love that Leon Robinson plays the dad. If you don't know who he is, he is Cynthia Bailey's (Real Housewives of Atlanta) baby daddy, and famously starred in the Madonna video "Like a Prayer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Night Agent is written by hacks
First episode ending made me wince in pain with the ruse

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man two for two
Just watched "I see you"
Just rubbish writing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched I see you tonight, thinking I was watching a new movie because netflix has been pumping it up just to realize half way in that I already watched that poo poo 3 years ago on Netflix(?) when it came out. Absolutely terrible but sort of fun.

Helen Hunt looks wildly hosed up now like the prometheus alien but with no lips.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Haven't they toned down the shaky camera thing recently? I feel like it was worse a few years ago.

It kinda got put back by the rise of 3-D, I think- you really risk giving people motion sickness if you do that in three dimensions, I think Michael Bay talked about having to change up his style for the third Transformers movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It kinda got put back by the rise of 3-D, I think- you really risk giving people motion sickness if you do that in three dimensions, I think Michael Bay talked about having to change up his style for the third Transformers movie.

To something more incomprehensible

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

precision posted:

The hunger games are bad, but dystopian fiction owns, so it kind of balanced out

Never went back to watch hunger games again but for some reason the maze runner movies really clicked for me, especially the last one.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Upsidads posted:

Man two for two
Just watched "I see you"
Just rubbish writing

veni veni veni posted:

I watched I see you tonight, thinking I was watching a new movie because netflix has been pumping it up just to realize half way in that I already watched that poo poo 3 years ago on Netflix(?) when it came out. Absolutely terrible but sort of fun.

Helen Hunt looks wildly hosed up now like the prometheus alien but with no lips.

Any idea why this movie has resurfaced lately? It showed up on my chromecast like it's a new release that I might be interested in. When I first saw the mask years ago when I saw a poster for this years ago I thought it might be a horror parody based on how silly the mask looked. When I watched a trailer I realized, nope, it's totally serious. I'm still kinda perplexed with this thing popping up so much recently. I wanna say I saw a clickbait article about it recently too, like "This hidden gem thriller is available on Netflix right now" something like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They probably had to cut a royalty check and were like "poo poo, we gotta recoup our profits! Start pumping the title back into the algorithm!"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Upsidads posted:

Man two for two
Just watched "I see you"
Just rubbish writing

Ice-T: The kids call themselves "phroggers" because they make people.....croak.
Concerned parent: Could my child be...phrogging???

Yeah, this would be garbage tier

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The music in that sequence is great though. Literally the only positive memory I have of that movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jolo posted:

Any idea why this movie has resurfaced lately? It showed up on my chromecast like it's a new release that I might be interested in. When I first saw the mask years ago when I saw a poster for this years ago I thought it might be a horror parody based on how silly the mask looked. When I watched a trailer I realized, nope, it's totally serious. I'm still kinda perplexed with this thing popping up so much recently. I wanna say I saw a clickbait article about it recently too, like "This hidden gem thriller is available on Netflix right now" something like that.

No idea. It was #1 in Netflix movies and was so forgettable the first time they totally duped me into watching it again lol. I wonder if this is gonna be a new thing. It seems like Netflix is doing it a lot where they signal boost some poo poo no one watched as new content. Which is...fine I guess, but considering how little there is on Netflix I want to watch already it's not a great look.

I've only got 2 weeks left on my longstanding Netflix sub. Really don't think I am gonna miss it outside of the standup. Resubbed to Hulu and there is actually poo poo I want to watch on it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

veni veni veni posted:

No idea. It was #1 in Netflix movies and was so forgettable the first time they totally duped me into watching it again lol.

Ha! Well, I feel better knowing it wasn't just me going insane and seeing it everywhere.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

No idea. It was #1 in Netflix movies and was so forgettable the first time they totally duped me into watching it again lol. I wonder if this is gonna be a new thing. It seems like Netflix is doing it a lot where they signal boost some poo poo no one watched as new content. Which is...fine I guess, but considering how little there is on Netflix I want to watch already it's not a great look.

I've only got 2 weeks left on my longstanding Netflix sub. Really don't think I am gonna miss it outside of the standup. Resubbed to Hulu and there is actually poo poo I want to watch on it.

If it wasn't for Seinfeld I would have already cancelled Netflix, actually I probably will here soon anyways.

Hulu and Amazon are the top streaming services now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wtf episode 6 of swarm lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There’s a swarm thread too fyi

I’ve been watching boardwalk empire, I’m on season three now

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Finally watching Banshees of Inisherin, and this is the most hilarious movie I've seen in a long time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Tetris movie on AppleTV is surprisingly entertaining and I assume roughly 90% bullshit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Finally watching Banshees of Inisherin, and this is the most hilarious movie I've seen in a long time.

It is so beautiful there on that little island.

I’m watching Estate with Anna Farris and it’s good so far

Edit, I take it back the estate is amazjng

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 1, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tokelau All Star posted:

A particular dark and dry humor, but yes.

"The Free State lads are executin' a couple of the IRA lads. Or is it the other way around? I find it hard to follow these days. Wasn't it so much easier when we was all on the same side, and it was just the English we was killin'? I think it was. I preferred it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Unstable is kinda good. Some low-ball jokes, but generally zany in an amusing way.