Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
they still need to homeless proof the tree. someone could easily rest themselves near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

econ thread is never ready for biosphere thread

ok, im ready for [biosphere]. give me your all! :unsmigghh:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shipon posted:

trees on sidewalks do gently caress up the sidewalks as well as the curb of the road (where the bicyclists ride), so i say get rid of 'em
youuu

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DancingShade posted:

My dystopian nightmare city you can't leave will be full of these, bubbling away. All other forms of plant life will be forbidden.

The algae tanks make much better destructible scenery for a cybercity than trees. what's cooler: an fps level with a bunch of big glass tanks loudly shattering going KSSSSHHH and green glowing water spilling everywhere, or some bullets just hitting a tree and getting stuck?

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
there was an american tv show back in the day where all these blonde people would appear in little rectangles and stare at each other making faces or giving each other the finger or whatever and they were all a big family

america needs to return to this to renew its culture

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:fork: :911:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
they are gonna start putting manchurian candidates in shipping containers to help stop the yuan

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

so basically "if you don't understand how computers work and fill in the gaps with magical fantasy thinking, you can invent techno-gods that are almost as asinine as yourself"

This is peeking behind the curtain to see the mighty and powerful wizard of Oz is just some old guy wearing a silly hat, pulling levers attached to shadow puppets.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Maed posted:

he doesn't know what epigenetics is, it's things that happen to DNA like methylation that can change gene expression, for some reason people started using it to try to refer to everything outside genetics for some odd reason, I blame libs

What do people think epigenetics is? I'm using it to refer to the idea that exposure to stress creates chemicals that negatively affect development via gene expression, and that the net effect of swimming around in stress chemicals is more significant than any inheritable genetic factors, likely to the point where inheritable intelligence isn't even worth seriously talking about by comparison. And people should be happy about that, because the solution is to just give people material aid and comfort and reduce the amount of poo poo they have to juggle, no eugenics required. Its biological affirmation that when you improve someone's material circumstances you improve their functioning as a person. People not raised in a toxic cesspit tend to get sick less often as adults, kids who aren't worried about their next meal tend to be brighter. The policy world still thinks this stuff is magic, but thats because theyre morons. Whats this thread's excuse?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
It's loving insane how this forum gets around the subject.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

What do people think epigenetics is? I'm using it to refer to the idea that exposure to stress creates chemicals that negatively affect development via gene expression, and that the net effect of swimming around in stress chemicals is more significant than any inheritable genetic factors, likely to the point where inheritable intelligence isn't even worth seriously talking about by comparison. And people should be happy about that, because the solution is to just give people material aid and comfort and reduce the amount of poo poo they have to juggle, no eugenics required. Its biological affirmation that when you improve someone's material circumstances you improve their functioning as a person. People not raised in a toxic cesspit tend to get sick less often as adults, kids who aren't worried about their next meal tend to be brighter. The policy world still thinks this stuff is magic, but thats because theyre morons. Whats this thread's excuse?

POORS ARE DUMB, ESPECIALLY WOMEN

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I made a thread about it once and was pummeled savagely for it. Bodied.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
look i just need a framework to elevate my status and put others down below me it really doesn't matter if its based or cringe

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
marxism doesn't work because it turns out im one of the lovely persons and not a cool hero who saves people

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shear Modulus posted:

actually no it's not skynet it's universal paperclips

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Would you like some help with your optimization algorithm?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Number go up

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

wait, what happendd to leon

Hope he choked on that loving pizza slice, and burned the roof of his mouth

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

POORS ARE DUMB, ESPECIALLY WOMEN

No, being poor *causes* worse outcomes. If you make people not poor they get better. This isn't even talking about the enormous cognitive load from being poor and having to worry about everything constantly. This is trivial to observe. You wouldnt get like this is I said 'growing up breathing in industrial waste decreases your odds of being an olympic runner' and suggested that prioritizing cleaning up the air would lead to healthier lungs.

If your take away is 'poor are dumb, especially women' then I guess you're a loving moron. Probably a woman too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

marxism doesn't work because it turns out im one of the lovely persons and not a cool hero who saves people

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I have a stupid question about chatgpt and ai text stuff: it’s all still token based, right? So like really fancy auto complete? So if I asked it to write a persuasive essay, it wouldn’t be able to be circumspect right? Like it writes a five paragraph essay, it’s not able to make reference to a point it made in the first paragraph it wrote, right? Or is it because it’s trained on x style of writing it’s able to mimic the appearance of internal consistency? Like x token in y context should return something similar to n-1 context?

You should try it out, it does not behave like this anymore. The distinction is that it's not computing a single token at a time to do the completion, but rather computing a complete response composed of some number of tokens [2000 at the moment iirc?]. It can definitely carry a point through multiple sentences coherently, and doesn't "lose track" of the topic the way eg markov chains did.

Edit: to clarify it does I think still compute the individual tokens one at a time, but it uses its own output as part of the prompt for each successive token so it can carry a thread in a way that markov chains couldn't.

DearSirXNORMadam has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Mar 30, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Look we just need to pitch in and provide for everyone.

By we I mean everyone else and by the first everyone I mean me. You don't understand, I'm the intelligensia and can't possible work the mud fields to plant things. Going outside and sweating. Ugh. That's poor people work. Uh I mean workers unite!

(Lounges back in million dollar mansion paid for by trust fund)

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Shipon posted:

its funny because following the logical conclusion of all the doomer posting just means you should behave like a conservative and grab what you can before it all falls apart because there's no future, except you feel bad about it which makes you pathetic looking

if you truly believe it's all hopeless and there's no saving the future, then what else is there than to shore up the status quo that exists now

because the only way to go out with any self respect is to go out struggling.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
everything in america is designed to kill you

slowly

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Osv18 posted:

because the only way to go out with any self respect is to go out struggling.

Live fast die young, leave a good looking corpse.

Note: make sure to wear your best imported designer jeans, gucci accessories and all the rest of it. Ideally you'll look like one of those body models in a crime drama during the morgue scene. So nothing involving the face because ugh thats just not good looking is it? Otherwise how is the necrophiliac mortician supposed to have their way with your corpse if you do that? Have some common courtesy on your way out.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/nyamentikeely/status/1641250421380378625

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

We all know that health and stress have no effect on how individuals behave, and that individual behavior has no effect on greater societal trends.

you don't seem to understand what either you or I am saying

Maed posted:

he doesn't know what epigenetics is, it's things that happen to DNA like methylation that can change gene expression, for some reason people started using it to try to refer to everything outside genetics for some odd reason, I blame libs

yea that's the same thing I said

edit: they do it because liberal ideology takes behavior to be individual, so it must have a basis somewhere in the individual, like dna or epigenetics or the brain, and trying to understand behavior from that assumption is basically why we don't understand behavior and aren't making much progress.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Mar 30, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

Exactly. AI is real and actively killing us but the algorithms are running on human beings. You don't need magic computers for self-reinforcing feedback loops to destroy a system.

:nsa:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

you don't seem to understand what either you or I am saying

yea that's the same thing I said

edit: they do it because liberal ideology takes behavior to be individual, so it must have a basis somewhere in the individual, like dna or epigenetics or the brain, and trying to understand behavior from that assumption is basically why we don't understand behavior and aren't making much progress.

Im sure the great waveform will reveal itself to you in time

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Since I happen to have caught up with the thread at the same time as the topic, epigenetics:

i) (almost) Every cell in your body has the same full set of DNA instructions as (almost) every other cell.

ii) ...but your cells need to be different things, and do different things at different times in response to different situations. Sometimes a single stimulus must make different cell types respond in directly opposite ways.

iii) So there is a complex system of regulation that works to control which DNA actually gets used for which type of cell at any given moment, and therefore what those cells make, and therefore what they do.

iv) On short timescales we often call this "cell signaling" and "gene regulation" and it does stuff like encouraging or discouraging the use of certain sections of DNA.

v) On longer timescales we often call this "epigenetics" and it does stuff like altering the packing, storage, and availability-for-use of certain sections of DNA.

The ability to modify gene expression patterns in medium-term ways (that is, less than the permanence of sequence changes, more than the transience of regulation changes) is a great way for a population with relatively long generation times to adapt to changing environmental situations. Epigenetic effects (I.e.: "profiles" of decisions made re: certain genes and developmental pathways) have been observed to be passed to children in humans, but not (as far as I had read back when I dealt with this stuff) to grandchildren.

The natural use of this stuff is, for example, to allow parents who have been exposed to famine when young, to produce children that are smaller (and therefore require less food), *without* making the sort of permanent commitment to smaller descendants that would be implied by full-on genetic adaptation. Useful stuff in s changing world.

Unfortunately, it has its problems.
First, not all social adaptations are good for individuals. There's whole books in that, so I'm leaving it for now.
Second, all sorts of chemical pollutants can mess up cell signaling and DNA sequences, so it's perhaps predictable that many can mess up epigenetic controls as well.
Not in some predictable "everything gets worse kill the mutants" way, just in a "we randomly adjusted the offsets in this machine" sort of way. Destructive without necessarily being simple to outline except in retrospect.

So yeah, epigenetics.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao this is all because of Hadlock

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

let's kill him

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you guys posted this yet?

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1641119037135683585

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

another great visualization of why Banks are having liquidity issues because they aren't passing on rising interest rates to depositors, with the spread widening

also note that the Fed is now handing out $750 million to banks every single day

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol at dedollarization

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I think so, but I liked this reaction from earlier today

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007