Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

If anything I feel like fallout 4 and its fixed location busted legendaries is more like morrowind than any previous game, in that if you know the game world well you can create an overpowered character very quickly through item collection.

I would feel more this way if it weren't for the fact that you can get Spray & Pray from Cricket without leaving Sanctuary and the instigating laser rifle is in Diamond City. You don't even have to go off the path, this is just normal things that an average character will find early game. Morrowind hides that poo poo like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That is very, very much not so I think. The perk effects in fallout 4 are gigantic and you need to use them to be competitive in the late game, absenting using one of the broken legendary weapons. You have both the crafting perks which allow you to maximise the base effectiveness of any given gun, and you have the ones that I think cap out at double effectiveness for weapons you're using. If you use a base gun with no perks against a high level enemy it would take you minutes of IRL time doing nothing but shooting at it to kill it.

Now some of that is going to be offset by you being able to find upgraded guns as part of the normal progression system, but their improvements are multiplicative with the damage perks so it is still a colossal difference to use guns you have specced into, and it is not very likely that you will find the desired optimal parts for your guns until later in the progression curve if you don't craft them.

You can physically hit enemies in fallout and skyrim no matter what, yes. But practically trying to fight without putting points into some manner of combat upgrade as the game progresses is still extremely difficult, you will expend a lot of resources and/or a lot of time trying to do it.

Fallout 4 does have problems with legendary drops trivializing everything and poor balance in its perk paths, where automatic weapons are severely underpowered compared to semi automatic weapons (again unless it's a legendary) but both it, skyrim, and morrowind have similar levels of "you can't win this fight without cheesing it" if you don't put points into combat skills. Technically you can sujamma or enchant your way through any encounter in morrowind if you want to, exploration and finding valuable items are a form of progression entirely independent of the character building mechanics in that game as much as they are in later games. If there is a difference I think it is that the default form of combat is simply far weaker generally than magic and enchanting, which is less the case for skyrim and fallout doesn't have that distinction.

If anything I feel like fallout 4 and its fixed location busted legendaries is more like morrowind than any previous game, in that if you know the game world well you can create an overpowered character very quickly through item collection.

I'll also say that I think it is absurd that the settlement upgrade stuff and the ability to craft items, the core thing the gameplay looped is built around, is locked behind perks. It should absolutely be a separate thing. Maybe lock higher level crafting perks behind quests, but don't make players spend level ups on mandatory perks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aniviron posted:

I would feel more this way if it weren't for the fact that you can get Spray & Pray from Cricket without leaving Sanctuary and the instigating laser rifle is in Diamond City. You don't even have to go off the path, this is just normal things that an average character will find early game. Morrowind hides that poo poo like crazy.

One of the main reasons I don't really enjoy playing morrowind is because everywhere I go I apparently trip over daedric weapons or something similarly top tier which trivializes a bunch of the game. I think morrowind has a lot of specific different things to find but a lot of places seem to have very good equipment just lying around.

If nothing else the first city the game points you to and one of the first guilds you come across has the winged twilight soul just sitting there, and the early quests make the lady go downstairs so you can steal it, and it's worth like 50k gold or something, essentially enough for you to clean out the stock of any given merchant.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

One of the main reasons I don't really enjoy playing morrowind is because everywhere I go I apparently trip over daedric weapons or something similarly top tier which trivializes a bunch of the game. I think morrowind has a lot of specific different things to find but a lot of places seem to have very good equipment just lying around.

If nothing else the first city the game points you to and one of the first guilds you come across has the winged twilight soul just sitting there, and the early quests make the lady go downstairs so you can steal it, and it's worth like 50k gold or something, essentially enough for you to clean out the stock of any given merchant.

Good luck getting anywhere NEAR value for that, or finding a normal merchant with enough cash or worthwhile stock

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Morrowind. Why does this random dude in Dren Plantation have a Daedric Dai-katana? No clue but he dies like a chump and it’s mine now!

Being able to find high tier loot if you know where to look, for me, is preferential to something like level scaling loot where the game decides what tier of weapon I’m ready for.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In Morrowind, the best item in the entire game literally falls out of the sky.

Speaking of, I was watching a Morrowind speed run the other day, and the split where they get the Scroll of Icarian Flight is called "Catch" because they don't even wait for Tarhiel to finish hitting the ground before looting the poor bugger.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Relyssa posted:

Arth and his crew started planning for Starfield's unofficial patch pretty much as soon as the game got announced. He sadly is not going anywhere.

The Nexus started its own Unofficial Patch page for Starfield, and it's going to be an open group effort. Arthmoor can be completely ignored on Starfield.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Schubalts posted:

The Nexus started its own Unofficial Patch page for Starfield, and it's going to be an open group effort. Arthmoor can be completely ignored on Starfield.

Really hope everyone’s so sick of his poo poo, they do the same for whatever Elder Scrolls game eventually gets made

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Arthmoor sticks random Oblivion Gates in the Starfield Unofficial Patch, insists that Starfield and Elder Scrolls take place in the same universe and that the Oblivion Gates would have been literally everywhere, even deep space.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Commander Keene posted:

Arthmoor sticks random Oblivion Gates in the Starfield Unofficial Patch, insists that Starfield and Elder Scrolls take place in the same universe and that the Oblivion Gates would have been literally everywhere, even deep space.

I hope the proc gen algorithm by default generates a gate on every planet.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, does starfield have sentient asteroid mining robots?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there a good compact mod list for fallout 4? I've never got past the intro and might pick it up again.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wabbajack has a bunch nowadays, I liked this one: https://www.wabbajack.org/modlist/wj-featured/life_in_the_ruins

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lethrom posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Morrowind. Why does this random dude in Dren Plantation have a Daedric Dai-katana? No clue but he dies like a chump and it’s mine now!

Being able to find high tier loot if you know where to look, for me, is preferential to something like level scaling loot where the game decides what tier of weapon I’m ready for.

+1, this is extremely my poo poo. Even better if every item is not only powerful, but gimmicky and silly, like the Skyrim staff that explodes people into gold.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nalesh posted:

Wabbajack has a bunch nowadays, I liked this one: https://www.wabbajack.org/modlist/wj-featured/life_in_the_ruins

Thanks that's really helpful! It's weird how mod packs are everywhere now, when I was last modding Skyrim they were verboten by Big Mod

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

sebmojo posted:

Thanks that's really helpful! It's weird how mod packs are everywhere now, when I was last modding Skyrim they were verboten by Big Mod

It’s almost like all the biggest and most insufferable babies stormed off in a huff when nexus made it so they couldn’t gently caress people over by deleting their mods out of packs and the people who are left are cool with it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Mod packs are generally distributing the mods in a big zip file or some such, wabbajack downloads them direct from Nexus so it's all above board. Naturally, some of the more entitled modders get upset about this anyway for some reason.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I can understand where it comes from.

I don't know if it still happens, but it happened a few times in the past where modders went on to be discovered by some of the game devs and given recognition or even jobs. So with that in mind, if I made something really popular, and then someone bundled my work, time and effort into "Jimmy's Mod Pack", and there was a chance that I wouldn't even get the meager recognition of the people who really like it, I might get upset. If, in the really rare instance it meant that I missed an opportunity to get on a developer's radar, I'd be really upset. From what I've seen, most packs do credit the original authors, and the ones that don't are usually handled within the community, so it's kind of a non issue in reality, but some of these people don't share the real world with us.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

As part of a collab map project called Half-Life: TWHL Tower 2, some guy made a... well, just watch the video. It's short.

Half-Pint

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 31, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That is amazing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Agents are GO! posted:

That is amazing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skippy McPants posted:

That's not the cart's fault. The game lets you fast-travel to everywhere a cart can take you, so why ever use one? What made the "fast travel" in Morrowind good was that the Boats, Stilt Striders, Mage Guild Teleports, and Propylon Chambers all offered different ways to move about the world that didn't necessarily overlap.

The fastest route from A to B often involved two or even three different kinds of traversal. It made moving about quickly a reward for learning and understanding the various systems, all of them dietetic. I appreciate something like that a lot more than clicking on the map to teleport wherever, whenever.

The way Morrowind handles travel is one of the best things about the game, and it confounds me why more (any?) open-world games don't follow its example.

I installed a mod that gave every available port to any service that accessed that port, because needing to take a silt strider, then a boat, then another silt strider felt needlessly complicated to 16-year-old me. I think I'd be more on board for it these days. Also my overland travel in Morrowind (and in Vivec) was greatly improved by a Readable Road Signs mod.

Final Fantasy XIV has an interesting take on this. You have ferry boats, airships, rentable chocobos (that either travel a set path or just let you ride about freely, the latter only useful in a narrow range of levels and quest progression because you quickly get your own chocobo), and a teleportation system to some, but not all, bastions of civilization. This all takes money, and most of the time teleporting is the most expensive option. So it's always a cost versus time measure. Do you just teleport where you're going for like 500 gil, or do you run to the nearest chocobokeep, get a quick ride back to the main city for 50-some gil, use the free in-city teleports to the airship landing, buy an airship ticket to another city for 120-150 gil, and use that city's teleport network to drop outside the gates and then teleport to the destination town because teleporting within the same map only costs 100 gil?

You can also do hunting quests for tokens that can be traded for tickets good for one free teleport.

Learning these routes (And while I was thinking about this I realized one of my routes is stupid, it's boat from city to small port > boat to other small port > teleport to town when a better option is teleport outside city > teleport to town or even just rent a chocobo) is a bit of feel-good system mastery and lets you experience the often very good scenery more, but the easier option exists and sometimes I just don't have the time to chain halfway across the continent when the only justification is saving a handful of my millions of gil.

Leal posted:

The wild thing I learned in Morrowind after modding it to vastly increase the draw distance was that stuff was actually really close together, its just your character moves so drat slow.
Last time I played Morrowind I finished the first town and immediately headed off to do the Boots of Blinding Speed exploit because I quite literally couldn't even. And that was a stopgap until I could do alchemy exploits for long-lasting Fortify Speed potions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wot if Half Life 2 was made in Quake, and also kind of played like Quake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGe2OJf8G0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The meme is getting stronger.

https://twitter.com/cathroon/status/1643119048945958915

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Loving this meme ngl

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Entropic posted:

Someone made a map that looks like its own Steam workshop page.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955787917

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
New awful mod using the incredible powers of AI generation.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eugh.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

...now use this to make a mod for Skyrim Morrowind where Dan Carlin explains the lore.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tumblr posted:

so i downloaded an oblivion overhaul so i can get more hair options for my character but uninstalled it immediately cause it did this to the emperor

Orv
May 4, 2011

Then the stars were right and I am hydromatic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm really enjoying my Great Club build but I'm not really sure how to effectively use the weapon skill. The explosion does good damage but it doesn't really seem to hit any harder than a regular attack. The projectiles that come out seem to just go in a random direction? They don't seem to hone in on enemies, I've definitely used the attack hoping the projectiles would hit enemies in front of me only for them to go completely in the opposite direction. Like, they went in the opposite direction to where my character was pointing, the opposite direction to where the camera was pointing, the opposite direction of all the enemies, and directly into a wall.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The main point of all those big colossal-weapon ground-slam attacks (there's like 3 or 4 different flavors of the same thing) is that they do a ton of stagger and have a ton of poise, so you can use them to trade hits with smaller enemies before knocking them on their rear end or maybe even stagger big guys for a riposte after a few hits, just like jumping attacks.

Most projectiles only aim at stuff you're locked onto. Camera facing has absolutely no effect, but they normally just go based on your character's facing if you're not locked on.
The golden land ones should work the same way. But those piddly little projectiles are mostly for flavor or to give people something extra to dodge in pvp, don't expect a lotta damage out of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Playing the seamless co-op mod, I see :hmmyes:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Whoops I posted in the wrong thread.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The main point of all those big colossal-weapon ground-slam attacks (there's like 3 or 4 different flavors of the same thing) is that they do a ton of stagger and have a ton of poise, so you can use them to trade hits with smaller enemies before knocking them on their rear end or maybe even stagger big guys for a riposte after a few hits, just like jumping attacks.

Most projectiles only aim at stuff you're locked onto. Camera facing has absolutely no effect, but they normally just go based on your character's facing if you're not locked on.
The golden land ones should work the same way. But those piddly little projectiles are mostly for flavor or to give people something extra to dodge in pvp, don't expect a lotta damage out of them.

Thanks!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is definitely awesome game mods

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I know this isn't even close to the maximum level of absurdity possible with mods, but I got a weird feeling when I realized I was facing The Radiance, in Slay the Spire, with Atlas and P-Body.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldwoiMHiyL8

Now available on Steam Workshop!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Came here to post that. Looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
That mod is equal parts awful and awesome, and I love every part of the explanation in the video.