Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Khanstant posted:

the survivors walk out to a challenge beach, and there's no obstacle course set up beside a circle of coloured plastic chairs facing outward with a boombox on a fold-out table "everyone, drop your buffs"

one of those times where Jeff is absent but now there's just a piece of graph paper nailed to a box saying what new tribes production wants everyone to be on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
But why is the box so wet?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

mp5 posted:

one of those times where Jeff is absent but now there's just a piece of graph paper nailed to a box saying what new tribes production wants everyone to be on

What season was DIY challenges on? Felt so half assed.

This season I’m still in the wait who section of the show. I’m not clicking with anyone in particular but I also don’t hate anyone either. Just an odd season for me.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nystral posted:

What season was DIY challenges on? Felt so half assed.

This season I’m still in the wait who section of the show. I’m not clicking with anyone in particular but I also don’t hate anyone either. Just an odd season for me.

Dave Ball won chickens for Galu in Samoa during a No-Jeff Challenge. There's been 1 or 2 others.

And yeah I don't know who anyone is other than Carolyn and Yam Yam, which tbh is probably indicative of something

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
danger dave ball, a highlight in an unwatchable season

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I'm throwing Carolyn under the bus, the train, the airplane, the submarine, going back and forth

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I want Carolyn to win the season. She's incredibly amazing television.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kinda get it but everyone is so mean and dismissive of Carolyn it’s shocking. Like that reward scene was like one of those “Am I invisible? Am I a ghost? Can anyone hear me?” bits.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I kinda get it but everyone is so mean and dismissive of Carolyn it’s shocking. Like that reward scene was like one of those “Am I invisible? Am I a ghost? Can anyone hear me?” bits.

Yup. I love an underdog. That scene right there cemented it for me. Those two bros were such assholes to her.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

relieved that carolyn and yam yam didn’t go home

def pulling for carolyn atm she rules

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s this exchange where I’m pretty sure Carolyn says “I’m worried because Josh might have an idol” and the douche bros ignore her and then they’re like “it would be cool if we teamed with Josh”. And I was just blown away

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Matthew going home on a medivac is a major bummer, i really wanted to see how his game could have panned out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Also im still in third place despite having lost 5 of my 8 players lmao

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
maybe carolyn pulls together the nerds against the jocks

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I really don't like Carson, but it would be cool if it turns out that he is in fact fond of Carolyn and brings her in on his newfangled shenanigans.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, that's the premerge over, and I'm thoroughly whelmed. Advantage era just kinda got in the way of some seriously fun kooky players. Maybe it'll get better, but right now it's like 'okay who am I caring for other than Yam Yam, Carolyn and maybe Danny?'.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty funny, last week they gave out 3 idols good until merge. But the idols were only good for at most 2 tribal councils... and because of Matt, they were only good for 1.

Also pretty stupid way to handle everything. Seems pretty obvious they knew Matt was leaving the game, but waited until after the immunity challenge so they could skip the tribal council.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ennnhhh I don't know. The fact that they skipped tribal tells me that they only had the time/leverage to allow for one medivac, with the shortened season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The auto idols from last week are basically just the way to do a partial tribal swap like that without just having the person swapped get voted out. Like it just seems like them trying to find a way to mix it up without just getting the disappointing result. So they burn out at the merge because they’ve served their purpose to protect the swapped person long enough to see if they can shake stuff up.

I assume they cancelled tribal because evicting an extra person would have screwed up their merge plans and schedule.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Note: Poochie died on the way back from the immunity challenge

Two guesses as to why we didn't see the medivac, or his tribe's reaction to it

1. They have some surprise with his real idol that they want to tell us about next time, they love keeping secrets these days
2. What we did see at Tika is so important to the season that it superceded a pre-juror exit

Man as soon as we saw him fall in the preview everyone knew he was hosed. Maybe they'll tell the contestants to stop looking for powerups where they may fall and die.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

STAC Goat posted:

I assume they cancelled tribal because evicting an extra person would have screwed up their merge plans and schedule.

Yeah I really really really hope this means we don't get the stupid split tribal double boot at Final 10

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SteveVizsla posted:

I'm throwing Carolyn under the bus, the train, the airplane, the submarine, going back and forth

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mp5 posted:

1. They have some surprise with his real idol that they want to tell us about next time, they love keeping secrets these days
2. What we did see at Tika is so important to the season that it superceded a pre-juror exit

Man as soon as we saw him fall in the preview everyone knew he was hosed. Maybe they'll tell the contestants to stop looking for powerups where they may fall and die.

They just wanted to build the suspense of the tribe of 3 players going to tribal. They had a lot of time to fill, so they made it up in the air if Matt was going home or not so they could have the 3 scramble to decide who to vote off. Without the suspense, they'd have to just show more camp life before the immunity challenge or something.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Favourite line of the ep came from Yam Yam: "Sean, these are tree-mail beads LOL"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love that the first thing Carolyn said to Yam Yam when Josh tried to say he had another idol was "have you seen it?" And immediately torpedoes his entire plan because he'd not once thought that someone would recognise something they'd probably seen fairly often.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

mp5 posted:

Maybe they'll tell the contestants to stop looking for powerups where they may fall and die.

I was at the RHAP show last night and Jesse said that production was constantly begging Cody to stop climbing on dangerous stuff.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yeah this one's squarely on Matthew. He was trying to pull some Ozzy in his prime poo poo on slick ocean rocks and paid for it. Sucks because he had a lot of potential in the game but I can't have too much sympathy, it's a dumb way to go. Outwitted by nature.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Also since she's a person that doesn't take crap quietly she just calls it right out, going "HELLOOO???" and they just carry on :lol:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

The auto idols from last week are basically just the way to do a partial tribal swap like that without just having the person swapped get voted out. Like it just seems like them trying to find a way to mix it up without just getting the disappointing result. So they burn out at the merge because they’ve served their purpose to protect the swapped person long enough to see if they can shake stuff up.

That's why that whole twist sucked, though. They basically engineered it so that a player would be given an idol and then have to play the idol. An idol play isn't really fun if the producers draw it up for you. I'm glad they had a little pre-merge mixing but if their 1-player swap screws that player so badly they need to be given an idol, maybe go back to the drawing board...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They just wanted to build the suspense of the tribe of 3 players going to tribal. They had a lot of time to fill, so they made it up in the air if Matt was going home or not so they could have the 3 scramble to decide who to vote off. Without the suspense, they'd have to just show more camp life before the immunity challenge or something.
Yeah, come to think of it, this is exactly why we got so much good content featuring the tribal dynamics, because TC wasn't going to take up any of the airtime. Kind of ironic considering it means we saw more about a vote that didn't happen than we did for any of the votes that did.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Yeah this one's squarely on Matthew. He was trying to pull some Ozzy in his prime poo poo on slick ocean rocks and paid for it. Sucks because he had a lot of potential in the game but I can't have too much sympathy, it's a dumb way to go. Outwitted by nature.
And he leaves the game with one of his friends having a fake idol they don't know is fake. Kind of like a mirror image of how Sarah left the game with a fake idol that Carolyn planted and lost track of.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 30, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

And he leaves the game with one of his friends having a fake idol they don't know is fake. Kind of like a mirror image of how Sarah left the game with a fake idol that Carolyn planted and lost track of.

i suppose he maybe could have told her off-camera or that they'll show in a flashback in a future ep?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mp5 posted:

Exit press confirmed that the idol left with Matthew. Which makes it the third idol to be gone with a medevac (Colton and Neal in previous seasons).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I skipped the back half of the ep once it was clear Matt was leaving and there wouldn't be a TC did I miss anything important

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I skipped the back half of the ep once it was clear Matt was leaving and there wouldn't be a TC did I miss anything important

Purple tribe are at each other's throats no one trusts anyone else, and Green and Yellow tribe physical beats were bro-ing out and going to become a voting bloc and made uhh Caroyln??? feel left out which is NOT going backfire no way.

Seriously maybe I'll learn their names post-merge but Yellow Team's guy was ex NFL, and Green Team's guy is a firefighter

Nystral fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 30, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

A really great second half of the episode, maybe the best of the season so far

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

That's why that whole twist sucked, though. They basically engineered it so that a player would be given an idol and then have to play the idol. An idol play isn't really fun if the producers draw it up for you. I'm glad they had a little pre-merge mixing but if their 1-player swap screws that player so badly they need to be given an idol, maybe go back to the drawing board...

I’m not sure I think it’s a good game mechanic but I think strategically the goal of a tribe swap is to avoid tribes from staying too static or just have an easy vote. So like the one player swap and idol theoretically serves the purpose of forcing a tribe to turn on itself. Of course it doesn’t really work unless your target got swapped and it’s all very contrived and still basically doesn’t stop a flailing tribe like here. So like I said I don’t know if it’s good. But I don’t think the point is to make a dramatic idol play. At least not for us. It’s to create some artificial tension when the tribe goes “well we’ll just vote out the new guy.”

I dunno.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Also im still in third place despite having lost 5 of my 8 players lmao

They changed it to a quit, and you got boned

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

because he technically did quit, medical gave him the option to stay in the game and he decided he couldn't deal with the pain/risk of it

My takeaway from this episode otherwise is that Carolyn rules and the two dudebros are hilariously dumb, they basically signed their own death warrant once Carolyn starts talking to people at the merge

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

IcePhoenix posted:

My takeaway from this episode otherwise is that Carolyn rules and the two dudebros are hilariously dumb, they basically signed their own death warrant once Carolyn starts talking to people at the merge

That Carolyn scene was amazing and also a little sad.

I admit I wrote her off immediately.
Her tribe wrote her off immediately.
The dudebros wrote her off immediately.

Hope she wins

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, in Sarah's exit interview last week, she said that everybody completely underestimated Carolyn out there, and nobody had any idea how good of a game she was playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

nexous posted:

Haha that seems petty. It was a clear medical exit even if production didn’t force it

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i suppose he maybe could have told her off-camera or that they'll show in a flashback in a future ep?
Hmm probably not possible because even if he went back to camp before leaving Jaime was tribe swapped away

Speaking of which he also told Carson she had it haha

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 30, 2023